RMIT University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

RMIT University Employee Reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Productive and reasonable

Excellent and corporative, I learned teamwork environment and diversity at workplace and the most enjoyable part of the job was cooperative and flexible

Pros

Accessiable and nearest places' for lunche

Cons

Sometimes long hours

Toxic environment where colleagues (not really) are ready to walk over another for self advancement.

The summary says it all. Although I found some really genuine people there, most left for the same reasons or had been there so long they were waiting for retirement. .

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment

A well thought of organisation but a draconian work load model

There are some very good things about working at RMIT. The student population is great to work with. Management structure is large with lots of middle managers so it is difficult to get a decision. You really need to know who to go to and you can get conflicting responses or no response at all. The teaching work load for an academic is huge and does not appear to be getting any better. They have lots of systems that do not communicate well with each other. Lots of change occurs impacting on work load as well and lots of reporting.

Pros

The city campus is very vibrant

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours and on weekends

depressing and rudderless

Glad i am now working elsewhere, the place has lost focus and is now non-caring. Reoaitring itself is confusing to staff. Money is spent in odd places and workloads is ever increasing

12 October 2020
Hi there - thank you for leaving this honest review. While RMIT has been and will always be focused on the student experience, it's certainly been a challenging year for all of us. We wish you well in your future career endeavours. Be well!

Collaborative, supportive

Worked as a Bilingual Research Assistant, got comprehensive onboarding and job training. Received ongoing support during my job. Management was very supportive and cooperative.

Fun place to work. People are really kind and helpful

Every day ends up being productive in some way or the other. People are really kind and always ready to help. There is hardly any communication barrier among the colleges. They treat you equally and give equal importance to your opinions and suggestions.

Pros

Free lunches. Free beers once in a week

Cons

sometimes its long hours

12 October 2020
Nothing like the staff of RUSU! You're all incredible! Thank you for leaving this review- we appreciate it!

student

Great place to learn,very informative and collaborative place to work.The work culture is universal.Laboratory work is well organized.All the equipment functions with accuracy.Computer allotment is very easy.as many computers are there.Trainers are helpful and lab assistance is very encouraging.Outputs are obtained exactly without errors.Network programming helps build your career to establish,operate and troubleshoot the network.Eco -friendly atmosphere as a student I experienced.

12 October 2020
Thank you for leaving this review of your experience as a student! We love hearing about what has made your time at RMIT so special!

Productive forward thinking environment

Supportive work environment. As with all organisations, it's the people that make the difference. Leadership capability varies however all have a future view of the success of the university. Good work life balance practiced.

Pros

Supportive environment. Flexible work practices, moving to new ABW buildings

Cons

Challenges in achieving cross college collaboration on large programs

12 October 2020
Yes! It certainly is the people that makes this organisation so special. Thank you for this review!

I worked in a food innovation centre and research lab in RMIT. This is a very nice place to work although the coworkers were not very cooperative. I learnt many things from there.

12 October 2020
Food innovation? That sounds cool! Thank you for this review- we really appreciate it.

nice place

good place to proven leader, you’ll empower our team to be self-managing, help them to identify customer concerns, look for productivity opportunities and remove obstacles that our people may encounter.

Jobs at RMIT University

See more jobs

Large and impersonal institution

The commercialisation of education has precedence over all other matters. Students have been ojectified and become fodder for a cookie cutter degree producing production line.

12 October 2020
It feels like we're even larger now that everyone is working from home - in Melbourne and overseas. We hope that this experience has made you feel like we're all working towards one goal: preserving the student experience.

Network is much stronger than capabilities.

When you get the position, you're almost secure for your life. There is not a proper performance assessment. Try to build your network here as bands play a very important role in promotions and getting projects.

9 March 2020
Hi there, thanks for the review! You're right - and the Capability Framework is currently being worked on for all Permanent and Fixed Term staff. It's encouraged that managers also offer performance reviews with casual staff. We suggest you get in touch with HR Assist so we can help you gain access to the portal. Cheers!

Strategic approach to developing work outcomes

Engagement with industry to direct real-life situations for students and research is imperative for successful outcomes. The autonomous engagement with industry to allow these outcomes whilst following strategic plans for sector engagement is a main focus.

Good Place to work

Pros: Good comparative salary Paid public holidays Good environment to work Cons: Management sometimes is very aloof Hard to get promotions even after years of work

Excellent environment and supportive managers

Excellent workplace to thrive and excel. Supportive managers and colleagues. Comprehensive onboarding training provided. Excellent opportunities for professional development.

Friendly culture but everyone works in silos

great opportunities for collaboration, often the businesses would not operate as part of one university so this led to sub-optimal outcomes for standardisation of processes and systems

Pros

relaxed

Cons

slow to change

Chance to learn and improve

It was a lot of fun learning and interacting with students. Not only did I get to work with my professor who was a Ph.D. holder but also I had a chance to implement a few things and teach them.

27 January 2020
Sending you a big thank you for this review! It seems like your time at RMIT was an incredible period of your career. Thanks again!

Productive workplace

Unique experience in higher degree administration and policy implementation. Great facilities and knowledgeable staff. Post graduate students, many of whom are international students.

13 January 2020
Thank you for leaving this review for us! It seems like you were surrounded by great people, which framed a wonderful working experience at RMIT!

Productive and fun workplace

It is one of the best organisations to work with. The employees are friendly and understanding. Salaries are deposited on time and personal issues are taken into consideration.

12 October 2020
Hey there! Thanks for this stellar review! We're really pleased to hear you're loving your RMIT staff experience.

Productive and Rewarding

Solid job for a full time student. Paid work outside of seasons for creation of material, maximum one hour. All other time spent independently working on material above an our was not paid.

8 December 2019
Hey there - thanks for leaving a review on how you balanced work and being a full time student!

Fun and enjoyable student union volunteering experience

The volunteer work usually involves a Thursday 'Chill n Grill' where we serve free food to people. Work starts at 10am and ends at 4pm. Volunteers are allowed to come whenever they wish and leave whenever they wish during the day though most people opt to stay for the entire day. From this experience, I learnt the importance of following procedure in ensuring that food is not undercooked and also teamworking experience with the other volunteers and customer service experience. The workplace is very friendly and the hardest part of the job is the stress during lunchtime where it becomes an extremely fast-paced environment. The most enjoyable part of that job was meeting new people and making new friends.

8 December 2019
Thanks for leaving a review on your time volunteering at RMIT in the Student Union! It seems like you learned a ton and got a lot of fulfillment from your work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RMIT University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• RMIT University