RMIT University

RMIT University Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Melbourne VIC86 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Fun

Everyone is friendly and the work environment is very safe and comfortable. The team is very helpful and everyone is willing to support one another. Each volunteer gets a turn for breaks, they provided the food and drinks (dietary requirements options available). Overall a very pleasant experience.

Terrible management with rampant nepotism

Certain managers think they rule your life and do everything to make you feel miserable. No understanding and no support, just demands and unrealistic expectations. My previous manager at RMIT was fantastic but she left, so I got stuck with horrible management when I switched to a different department. Full of self-importance and attacks technically skilled people because of their lack of understanding.

Pros

Location, hours, lenient on remote working

Cons

Horrible horrible management

Fun but a lot of re-work and not getting much done

Too much work in convincing rather than doing. Some great people, some good ideas, some really exciting opportunities just takes a lot of time to see things come to life.

Productive and fun place

Had a good team/manager helping me in my journey. Learned a lot of new skills and improved my current ones. Management help and support you at all times and always on hand for questions

Pros

management

Cons

Good people held back by unnecessary bureaucracy and too comfortable senior leadership that refuses to change.

I learned a lot at RMIT, didn't realise how much until I left. Great team and sometimes good work hampered by really highly governed and unnecessary processes, poor systems and poor senior leadership.Hours were like big 4 consultancy hours, without the prestige. Be ready to be given something at 4pm one day to be completed by 11am the next day because a DVC wants it. Not because it's actually business critical but because the place is so full of people that enjoy the power, control and authority. It's so totally under resourced that being good at your job means doing the work of 2 people, sometimes more. There are a few wonderful gems who care about people and their work life balance but unfortunately it isn't the executive team. If you can stick it out for a few years to get on your resume you'll be fine.

Pros

Good project work Lots of things that need improvement Some very smart people to learn from

Cons

Terrible senior leadership Long long hours

Productive and fun working place. Staff are free to dress casually to suit their comfort. Excellent organizational behavior.

I enjoyed my time working at RMIT university. The managers were helpful in making me welcome. I made a lot of friends. Work life balance was the organizational culture. Tasks were clearly explained by my managers whenever needed. Overall, I will return to RMIT if given another opportunity. Also, I will recommend anyone to work at this organization because its a stepping stone to higher career prospects.

Pros

Sick leave, annual leave, long holiday during Christmas

Cons

Salary was not competitive then. Not sure the current situation.

Productive and reasonable

Excellent and corporative, I learned teamwork environment and diversity at workplace and the most enjoyable part of the job was cooperative and flexible

Pros

Accessiable and nearest places' for lunche

Cons

Sometimes long hours

depressing and rudderless

Glad i am now working elsewhere, the place has lost focus and is now non-caring. Reoaitring itself is confusing to staff. Money is spent in odd places and workloads is ever increasing

12 October 2020
Hi there - thank you for leaving this honest review. While RMIT has been and will always be focused on the student experience, it's certainly been a challenging year for all of us. We wish you well in your future career endeavours. Be well!

Collaborative, supportive

Worked as a Bilingual Research Assistant, got comprehensive onboarding and job training. Received ongoing support during my job. Management was very supportive and cooperative.

Fun place to work. People are really kind and helpful

Every day ends up being productive in some way or the other. People are really kind and always ready to help. There is hardly any communication barrier among the colleges. They treat you equally and give equal importance to your opinions and suggestions.

Pros

Free lunches. Free beers once in a week

Cons

sometimes its long hours

12 October 2020
Nothing like the staff of RUSU! You're all incredible! Thank you for leaving this review- we appreciate it!

student

Great place to learn,very informative and collaborative place to work.The work culture is universal.Laboratory work is well organized.All the equipment functions with accuracy.Computer allotment is very easy.as many computers are there.Trainers are helpful and lab assistance is very encouraging.Outputs are obtained exactly without errors.Network programming helps build your career to establish,operate and troubleshoot the network.Eco -friendly atmosphere as a student I experienced.

12 October 2020
Thank you for leaving this review of your experience as a student! We love hearing about what has made your time at RMIT so special!

Productive forward thinking environment

Supportive work environment. As with all organisations, it's the people that make the difference. Leadership capability varies however all have a future view of the success of the university. Good work life balance practiced.

Pros

Supportive environment. Flexible work practices, moving to new ABW buildings

Cons

Challenges in achieving cross college collaboration on large programs

12 October 2020
Yes! It certainly is the people that makes this organisation so special. Thank you for this review!

I worked in a food innovation centre and research lab in RMIT. This is a very nice place to work although the coworkers were not very cooperative. I learnt many things from there.

12 October 2020
Food innovation? That sounds cool! Thank you for this review- we really appreciate it.

nice place

good place to proven leader, you’ll empower our team to be self-managing, help them to identify customer concerns, look for productivity opportunities and remove obstacles that our people may encounter.

Large and impersonal institution

The commercialisation of education has precedence over all other matters. Students have been ojectified and become fodder for a cookie cutter degree producing production line.

12 October 2020
It feels like we're even larger now that everyone is working from home - in Melbourne and overseas. We hope that this experience has made you feel like we're all working towards one goal: preserving the student experience.

Network is much stronger than capabilities.

When you get the position, you're almost secure for your life. There is not a proper performance assessment. Try to build your network here as bands play a very important role in promotions and getting projects.

9 March 2020
Hi there, thanks for the review! You're right - and the Capability Framework is currently being worked on for all Permanent and Fixed Term staff. It's encouraged that managers also offer performance reviews with casual staff. We suggest you get in touch with HR Assist so we can help you gain access to the portal. Cheers!

Productive and fun workplace

It is one of the best organisations to work with. The employees are friendly and understanding. Salaries are deposited on time and personal issues are taken into consideration.

12 October 2020
Hey there! Thanks for this stellar review! We're really pleased to hear you're loving your RMIT staff experience.

Productive and Rewarding

Solid job for a full time student. Paid work outside of seasons for creation of material, maximum one hour. All other time spent independently working on material above an our was not paid.

8 December 2019
Hey there - thanks for leaving a review on how you balanced work and being a full time student!

A Excellence Scientific Research Facilities

A good university and scientific research workplace heavily in involved in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering mainly focus in the field of energy, aerodynamics, materials and structures

25 November 2019
Thanks for leaving this great review for our future Researchers to see!

Fun and Independent Job environment

Interacted with students and agents regarding their international admission process. Issue minimum of 50 Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE)s each day.

Best University

The past 2 years at RMIT was the best experience, I ever had. I have learnt a lot in studying at RMIT. From basic programming to cloud computing to big data, it was a wonderful 2 years.

3 October 2019
Hi there. Thank you so much for your review. We’re glad you got to learn so much and that you enjoyed your time with us!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RMIT University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare RMIT University with