Roads & Maritime Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Roads & Maritime Services Employee Reviews

Australia69 reviews
Can be challenging with weather conditions and traffic. Parents and children and scool administration are happy to see someone at the crossing. Some crossings are better than others.
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
Split shifts
I would not recommend anyone looking for career growth, to work for RMS. They do not treat their employees fairly. When I joined RMS I thought, I would be given training and opportunity b development in my career. But in last ten years, nothing has been initiated by them.
I worked for Hunter Asset.
I worked up until I was 37 weeks pregnant. Due to a hip condition, I was on bedrest for 3 months. I was offered the option to work from home which really helped.

The whole team was supportive and hard working. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with RMS
I was not really suited to RMS due to my inability to tow the line... I do not do political speak and would rather tells things as they are... really difficult when you are required to basically tell lies.
Had a minimal role with Roads and Maritime services where I worked on my own with little contact with anyone else from the department apart from a 6 monthly meeting with other performing the same role.
Good place to gain experience and learn how our road network operates. In NSW road is King! Decisions can take awhile and the approvals process is onerous, but that's what working for the government entails.
Okay; Work was great however it is time for a change to keep fresh and maintain self development through new opportunities and experiences. I am grateful for the experience ; however feel it is time for new adventures
Good to work with, very supportive,Friendly co-workers
Everyone always willing to help,

Always something new to learn in each department

Friendly/welcoming management & engineering team
Excellent place to work with excellent benefits. Constantly changing with challenging and fast paced work that meant that every day was entirely different.
Great work colleagues ... great team effort... management not so good ..all have massive egos and don’t care who the step on to climb the corporate ladder
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Roads & Maritime Services?
Very good very nice place to work and friendly. The staff are caring and friendly to. Children are ver good and caring and friendly to. Parents are very nice to me and very supportive to.
Pros
Split shift
Cons
Sun in the morning
Its excellent to work with such a large organisation with varity of departments in all aspects of civil engieering and mostly raods and bridges. I worked 11 years with RMS and I learnt lot of road constructions works.
Lack of direction and leadership clearly present within the organisation.

Contract managers are not construction minded and mid to senior-level management, not present and or not willing to be flexible and provide some stability and guidance to the overall atmosphere and team.

Too many young engineers in higher leadership roles and clearly out of there zone.
The RMS was formed on 1 Nov 2011 with key accountabilities of delivering new roads and maritime infrastructure to optimise safety and effective and efficient use. Also effective and efficient traffic management and use of the road network. The RMS is now part of Transport for NSW and aims to create a better transport system one that fundamentally is designed around the needs of the customer communities and economy.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Great work life balance.

Management vary, some are excellent, others leave you wondering how on earth they got the job.

ABW environment is encouraged but seems actively fought against by most staff who sat in the exact same place every day.

Hardest part of the job: is actively working without being distracted by personal life dramas of other employees.

Most enjoyable part of the job: the end of year get together's to celebrate achievements do make you feel like part of something amazing when you see what everyone is contributing to NSW across the org.
Pros
Free parking on site
Cons
Lots of tech related issues with desks that didn't work at all and never seemed to be fixed
learnt a lot was only a temp position hence low rating in some aspects as i have no full knowledge. I was shown a lot and developed many skills to take into th future. I grew iin understanding of the businss side of things more than ever.
RMS is the centrepiece of a reshaped transport cluster. It is responsible for setting the strategic direction and guiding an extended network of public and private service delivery agencies to deliver improved Transport outcomes.
Lots of short term opportunities available, not many long-term jobs. Office in Newcastle is nice, as is Tuggerah office - if you like ABW and not being able to eat at your desk.
Varied and interesting tasks
Fast paced environment

Excellent management

Great workplace culture

Working with a great team of staff that were there to support you in the role
Pros
Great environment to develop skills
Cons
Extremely busy environment
friendly envoirnment with different culture people.work varied so was able to pick up everything.Managment and staff went along very well.
The job was basically involved serving customers with taxi and bus licence and issuing yearly certificates.
It was working at the RTA, not terrible but nothing to write home to mum about. No complaints on my end. Had a great team, amazing manager and served friendly locals.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Tough crowds
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roads & Maritime Services. Our community is ready to answer.