Roads & Maritime Services logo
Roads & Maritime Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Roads & Maritime Services Employee Reviews in Sydney NSW

Work–Life Balance

Enjoyable

Can be challenging with weather conditions and traffic. Parents and children and scool administration are happy to see someone at the crossing. Some crossings are better than others.

Pros

Easy hours

Cons

Split shifts

Decent place to work

Good place to gain experience and learn how our road network operates. In NSW road is King! Decisions can take awhile and the approvals process is onerous, but that's what working for the government entails.

State Government

Excellent place to work with excellent benefits. Constantly changing with challenging and fast paced work that meant that every day was entirely different.

Rms

Great work life balance. Management vary, some are excellent, others leave you wondering how on earth they got the job. ABW environment is encouraged but seems actively fought against by most staff who sat in the exact same place every day. Hardest part of the job: is actively working without being distracted by personal life dramas of other employees. Most enjoyable part of the job: the end of year get together's to celebrate achievements do make you feel like part of something amazing when you see what everyone is contributing to NSW across the org.

Pros

Free parking on site

Cons

Lots of tech related issues with desks that didn't work at all and never seemed to be fixed

It was the RTA

It was working at the RTA, not terrible but nothing to write home to mum about. No complaints on my end. Had a great team, amazing manager and served friendly locals.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Tough crowds

Nice place management very regressive

Great working at this place until government outsourced all the jobs to private enterprise which now do less work for more cash which is sad for all the people who lost their jobs and retired.

Professional and highly skilled colleagues and staff

The RMS is a leading Transport Agency. It has always been in the forefront of Intelligent Transport System technologies. I have worked for 16 years with RMS. This has been a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. I have worked alongside highly skilled and professional staff in Traffic Management, Road Safety, Intelligent Transport Systems and life cycle management of assets. I have completed pioneering and innovative projects in ITS across Australia.

Pros

Dedicated work environment

Cons

Too big and unyieldy

Work life balane and sense of achievement

Roads and Maritime Services is a great public sector agency. Appreciation and acknowledgement of good work has provided me with great opportunities to progress in my career. The agency has embraced technology and has always initiated projects for the well being of NSW public.

Senior RMS roles

Work is interesting and diverse and good Agency funding. Is a bullying culture in some areas, and management is a bit odd/quirky. Most people are decent and hardworking.

Pros

good pay

Cons

bullying

Good employer if you are lucky to have good manager

I had good time with the company except that I ended up with completely self centered, non-supportive manager. I have seen majority of people enjoying working with RMS except those who work within Network Sydney ! Company promote based on gander not competency.... !! So it is easy to get promoted if you are woman.

Pros

13 RDO + 15 Sick Leave + 20 Annual Leave + Penalty rate + Good payrise

Cons

Nepotism, No progression for people with disability or people from minority group

Unpaid and poor job culture

In this workplace, I did learn quite a few skills in the RMS. However, the job culture was poor due to the lack of assistance needed. It requires more activities set in order to make job life more enjoyable.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

poor job culture

Governance Section Management strong on proactive preimplementation audit .

My management strongly supported IT Audit adding value in a timely manner. Helped protect the data of NSW citizens with true privacy logging, strong input validations, and preimplementation audits.

Pros

Strong ethics and governance.

Cons

Governance Branch made redundant.

Work hard but worth it as you work for a great organisation with a great team. Given many opportunities to do higher duties and push myself. Never bored.

Pros

Great work culture

Cons

Not around anymore

Great Government Organisation

A great organisation to work for, great team, great management and the most part I enjoyed is when I provide solutions to the user IT issues and make them hapy

Pros

Flex leave

Cons

No fast enough in advancement in technology

Face to Face customer service

I enjoy serving customers because every customer is different and adapting to individual people can be challenging. I take pride in meeting customers needs.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Difficult customers

Lots of opportunities for professional development. Working with internal and external stakeholders on a variety of infrastructure projects in Sydney is a welcomed challenge.

great people to work with

job satisfaction, team work and working autonomously is essential,management always approachable,great relationships formed between all staff, pleasant working conditions

The workers were great but management lacked the skills.

The typical days work for me was from installations, repairs and testing of various electrical telephony and civil installations. From working at the RMS i learnt a lot about working near and with live traffic whilst installing lighting and emergency phones and also electrical signage. My co workers were a great set of guys to work with and had lots of knowledge which i gained benefit in acquiring from them and also giving in return. On the other hand upper management were not so good but my immediate manager was to me an inspirational person with a lot of knowledge and authority against upper management. the hardest part was dealing with engineers who have never used a tool except a computer to tell us how we should do a job and 99% of the time they were incorrect in how the job was to be executed. the most enjoyable part of the job was for me working with a great team of guys.

Pros

Doing work which helped the community

Cons

Travelling in traffic and working near live traffic.

High pressure deadline driven

Daily manage a team of busn and tech testers across multiple environment platforms and diverse projects. Managing these guys was a pleasure and they responded with outstanding results. I learned to blend the cultures of permanent and skill hire staff so no one felt out of place in the team. Team culture and professionalism was my main driving force. I enjoyed mentoring new staff members to ensure they felt part of the team . The hardest part of the job was educating our busn partners on our testing methodology. I overcame this by constantly keeping them in the loop via their project manager and encouraged an open door policy for them to see first hand the process and procedures we had in place to ensure a quality product was delivered. I have managed many exciting testing projects over my 22 yrs in IT with the most satisfying being the Over the Counter Photo Licence System where I developed the busn rules, constructed the test plans and tested the system which was successfully introduced in NSW in 1996.

Pros

Great Team

Cons

Friendly working environment. Flexible working conditions.

The organisation offers a lot of diverse opportunities. If you are looking for work life balance, this is the place for you. Due to current reforms across Public Service, jobs may not be as secure.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Current major reforms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roads & Maritime Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Roads & Maritime Services