Roads & Maritime Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Roads & Maritime Services Management reviews

I was not really suited to RMS due to my inability to tow the line... I do not do political speak and would rather tells things as they are... really difficult when you are required to basically tell lies.
Good to work with, very supportive,Friendly co-workers Everyone always willing to help, Always something new to learn in each department Friendly/welcoming management & engineering team
Great work colleagues ... great team effort... management not so good ..all have massive egos and don’t care who the step on to climb the corporate ladder
Lack of direction and leadership clearly present within the organisation. Contract managers are not construction minded and mid to senior-level management, not present and or not willing to be flexible and provide some stability and guidance to the overall atmosphere and team. Too many young engineers in higher leadership roles and clearly out of there zone.
The RMS was formed on 1 Nov 2011 with key accountabilities of delivering new roads and maritime infrastructure to optimise safety and effective and efficient use. Also effective and efficient traffic management and use of the road network. The RMS is now part of Transport for NSW and aims to create a better transport system one that fundamentally is designed around the needs of the customer communities and economy.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Great work life balance. Management vary, some are excellent, others leave you wondering how on earth they got the job. ABW environment is encouraged but seems actively fought against by most staff who sat in the exact same place every day. Hardest part of the job: is actively working without being distracted by personal life dramas of other employees. Most enjoyable part of the job: the end of year get together's to celebrate achievements do make you feel like part of something amazing when you see what everyone is contributing to NSW across the org.
Pros
Free parking on site
Cons
Lots of tech related issues with desks that didn't work at all and never seemed to be fixed
Varied and interesting tasks Fast paced environment Excellent management Great workplace culture Working with a great team of staff that were there to support you in the role
Pros
Great environment to develop skills
Cons
Extremely busy environment
A great place to work with very proactive and energetic people. The IT team was well structured and staff were from a wide variety of backgrounds - this all made for a vibrant yet cohesive workplace with a huge amount of cognitive diversity.
Pros
Well thought out approach to project management and competent staff.
Cons
The Parramatta location did not suit me as I lived near Hornsby.
The RMS is a leading Transport Agency. It has always been in the forefront of Intelligent Transport System technologies. I have worked for 16 years with RMS. This has been a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. I have worked alongside highly skilled and professional staff in Traffic Management, Road Safety, Intelligent Transport Systems and life cycle management of assets. I have completed pioneering and innovative projects in ITS across Australia.
Pros
Dedicated work environment
Cons
Too big and unyieldy
Work is interesting and diverse and good Agency funding. Is a bullying culture in some areas, and management is a bit odd/quirky. Most people are decent and hardworking.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bullying
my traineeship at RMS was fantastic i got to learn new and exciting things there like Records management and how to move records from place to place. i also go to do account and organised lunches for meeting
Pros
free lunch some days
Cons
hours of travel
working as a school crossing supervisor is a rewarding experience, getting to greet children's smiling faces each morning is very uplifting, knowing that children have arrived at school safely each day. safety is important and is the main aspect of this job and being able to do this is worthwhile. greeting people and saying hello to children is one the best part of the job. Having other people to call on to fill your position when you are unavailable is also good aspect of this job. the hardest part of the job is being on the road when motorists do not obey instructions I.E. not stopping and speeding through the crossing. Being able to ring and report any hazards or difficulties is invaluable in these situations and management are supportive and encouraging in all endeavours.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
My management strongly supported IT Audit adding value in a timely manner. Helped protect the data of NSW citizens with true privacy logging, strong input validations, and preimplementation audits.
Pros
Strong ethics and governance.
Cons
Governance Branch made redundant.
A great organisation to work for, great team, great management and the most part I enjoyed is when I provide solutions to the user IT issues and make them hapy
Pros
Flex leave
Cons
No fast enough in advancement in technology
job satisfaction, team work and working autonomously is essential,management always approachable,great relationships formed between all staff, pleasant working conditions
The RMS was my work place for 25yrs, I learnt how to communicate with all walks of customers, the management were easy to talk to if you had any problems with customers and staff, My co-workers were the best, the hardest part of my job were the irate customers. The most enjoyable part of my job were the customers we saw on a daily basis, the lovely pensioners who would come in and always say hello.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Irate customers
My typical day usually involves meeting stakeholders, getting their requirements, documenting these in a BRD, reviewing and developing business process diagrams. I also organise meetings, make presentations and prepare status reports to management etc. One of the best things about RMS are the people I work with, we make a great team.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No milk supplied in the fridge
working for DMR/RTA/ ROAD MARITIME SERVICES they treated us well management were a bit up & down with discretion with the new engineers they were still fresh from uni hands on with the jobs they wernt very bright. overall the management were there to help you with your personal problems.
Pros
management used to put a bbq ever now and then
Cons
over time were long nights when with road incidents
Typical day included reviewing progress on individual tasks through to follow ups and team tasks. Leant a great deal about customer requirements, options analysis, business case submission, resource management, financial tracking and especially project task scheduling and reporting. Management was supportive and strategic thinkers. Co-workers were fantastic experts in their field and always prepared to provide valuable input and quality work. Hardest part of the job was securing funding and allocation of IT resources, regardless of advanced submission, planning and regular follow-ups. Most enjoyable part of the job was the volume of projects available and interesting team members and skill sets.
Pros
Nice Location with great food around
Cons
Funding delays
The typical days work for me was from installations, repairs and testing of various electrical telephony and civil installations. From working at the RMS i learnt a lot about working near and with live traffic whilst installing lighting and emergency phones and also electrical signage. My co workers were a great set of guys to work with and had lots of knowledge which i gained benefit in acquiring from them and also giving in return. On the other hand upper management were not so good but my immediate manager was to me an inspirational person with a lot of knowledge and authority against upper management. the hardest part was dealing with engineers who have never used a tool except a computer to tell us how we should do a job and 99% of the time they were incorrect in how the job was to be executed. the most enjoyable part of the job was for me working with a great team of guys.
Pros
Doing work which helped the community
Cons
Travelling in traffic and working near live traffic.