Roads & Maritime Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Roads & Maritime Services Work–Life Balance reviews

Can be challenging with weather conditions and traffic. Parents and children and scool administration are happy to see someone at the crossing. Some crossings are better than others.
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
Split shifts
I would not recommend anyone looking for career growth, to work for RMS. They do not treat their employees fairly. When I joined RMS I thought, I would be given training and opportunity b development in my career. But in last ten years, nothing has been initiated by them.
Okay; Work was great however it is time for a change to keep fresh and maintain self development through new opportunities and experiences. I am grateful for the experience ; however feel it is time for new adventures
Excellent place to work with excellent benefits. Constantly changing with challenging and fast paced work that meant that every day was entirely different.
The RMS was formed on 1 Nov 2011 with key accountabilities of delivering new roads and maritime infrastructure to optimise safety and effective and efficient use. Also effective and efficient traffic management and use of the road network. The RMS is now part of Transport for NSW and aims to create a better transport system one that fundamentally is designed around the needs of the customer communities and economy.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Great work life balance. Management vary, some are excellent, others leave you wondering how on earth they got the job. ABW environment is encouraged but seems actively fought against by most staff who sat in the exact same place every day. Hardest part of the job: is actively working without being distracted by personal life dramas of other employees. Most enjoyable part of the job: the end of year get together's to celebrate achievements do make you feel like part of something amazing when you see what everyone is contributing to NSW across the org.
Pros
Free parking on site
Cons
Lots of tech related issues with desks that didn't work at all and never seemed to be fixed
Roads and Maritime Services is a great public sector agency. Appreciation and acknowledgement of good work has provided me with great opportunities to progress in my career. The agency has embraced technology and has always initiated projects for the well being of NSW public.
For the past 3 years there has been a change in culture and identity. It has it good and bad environments overall . I would work there again even if the last year was hard......
Good place to work with opportinties for growth and further developement Oportunities for further learning and professional developement Proactive environment
Great people and new interesting processes in development. New structure and changes will give new purpose with new faces building a easy to use system.
Pros
New challenges
Cons
Overall strategy not well defined
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Roads & Maritime Services?
Work hard but worth it as you work for a great organisation with a great team. Given many opportunities to do higher duties and push myself. Never bored.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Not around anymore
- Great flexible hours (start between 7am and 7pm) - Great work life balance - Very interesting job - Every day brings a new challenge I learnt a lot about communication skills and all round office work as well as the importance of having a excellent relationship with internal and external customers.
Lots of opportunities for professional development. Working with internal and external stakeholders on a variety of infrastructure projects in Sydney is a welcomed challenge.
My typical day usually involves meeting stakeholders, getting their requirements, documenting these in a BRD, reviewing and developing business process diagrams. I also organise meetings, make presentations and prepare status reports to management etc. One of the best things about RMS are the people I work with, we make a great team.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No milk supplied in the fridge
The RMS is a forward thinking state government organisation that allows for personal and professional development in a team based enviroment.
The organisation offers a lot of diverse opportunities. If you are looking for work life balance, this is the place for you. Due to current reforms across Public Service, jobs may not be as secure.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Current major reforms