Royal Australian Air Force
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help

Supportive Employers

Great mateship

Fitness

Cross Training Opportunities
Intense and stressful but highly rewarding. Serving your country is honorable and the comrade and friendships you build in these high paced situation last for life.
I joined the RAAF straight out of school. it was a great experience - particularly as i lacked professional experience elsewhere. Pay is good and the opportunities opportunities i was offered were outstanding. Competition and stress of promotions and a flawed system led me to leave.
I was in the Air Force Cadets for 5 years and obtained the second highest rank. It was a very fun and enjoyable experience which i learnt a lot from. it taught me self-discipline, how to work hard, mannerisms, leadership, respect and the importance of teamwork as well how to make it work.
Defence is a good choice of work to enter as a young person. You meet allot of different people and get to travel around Australia, that the defence pays for. It can be challenging at times, but the rewards can be excellant to.
Enjoyed every bit of it. Great travel and work place and people. Support to learn more and advance in your chosen careers. Work life balance is supported with flexible work arrangements.
I have worked in low and high care roles assisting residents to improve their quality of life as much as possible. I have comprehensive understanding of medical and pharmaceutical terminology with many years experience as a receptionist for specialist doctors.
Great training and development.
great safety and resources.

plenty of encouragement to develop your skills and career.

Great lifestyle and opertunities to travel.
Fantastic 20 year career. Saw places and did things the average person would not experience. I worked with people from all over the world. Posting overseas for several years was the highlight.
The old boys club is still alive and well, just less transparent or obvious. Important to enter in the field of work you desire to excel in as it's difficult to transfer into your preferred role once you accept entry as something else.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal Australian Air Force?
Always away from home, poor work life balance, will likely end up an alcoholic and stressed out from the constant travel to places with poor phone reception.
Each day is different. Like all jobs, it can be challenging giving you the opportunity to develop your personality and rise to the challenge. Defence does have high expectations, however, is an excellent way to get started in life (money, career and potentially university qualifications wise).
Conduct security taskings and working in 4 man 12 hour shifts, including foot patrols and vehicle patroling, maning access contol points and responding to security incidents.
Very rewarding over my time but ever bodies is different. Its what you make of it.

Work hard, think smart, be prepared to put in the effort and with that drive you will do well!
Would recommend to young people looking to learn a trade and to find some discipline and structure to life. People are amazing and the job role is very professional
Pros
Cheap Lunches
Cons
Hard to advance
Doesn't feel like you in defence only when you put the uniform on. Iam Ex Army joined in the early 90's it was soooooo much better then customs traditions ect...
Now it's just to laid back and lots of lagging and sucking up to bosses to get deployments promotions and good trips
Pros
Mates
Cons
Roster has not got family life still at mind 3 early 3 lates 3 off
Good job for young people who are looking to gain skills, work with a diverse range of people within the RAAF and the possibility of working with personnel from both the Army and Navy.
The usual military lifestyle. Military first home life second. Amazing life experiences gained, the work locations you can potentially visit are amazing. Very well paid but stressful when climbing up the ranks.
To put it plainly, you could love your job/workplace one year, and be miserable the next.

There is a fair chance you will have a new boss as well as new colleagues every 2 years meaning you're always adapting to not only management styles (often outdated), but also a working environment.

Because the military is so secure, managers and leaders who are incompetent have almost no grounds to lose their jobs and are not pushed to improve.

My personal experience has in general been good, I have always enjoyed working with my peers and loved my job, however I cannot say the same for supervisors and sometimes senior high-ranking management. I have encountered bullying and unacceptable behavior and found little to no support when reporting the issues.

You are required to move every 3 years and attend sometimes long and time wasting courses in order to progress in your career.

On the flip side, I have gained some incredible qualifications and experiences and have developed as a person, learning from both positive and negative experiences. I have generally been supported in whatever personal and professional development I desire and, depending on management, was treated like an adult.
Pros
Very stable, great pay, great opportunities
Cons
Poor management
One thing I learnt quickly was that teenagers have no idea on clothing or shoes. They have relied on a parent or guardian. It wasn't unusual for a teen to say they had a size 8 shoe when in reality they were a 10 or 11. You need a lot of patience and a great amount of humour when dealing with them. Even getting them to order new uniform was often a trial. But their being teenagers made the job both hard and fantastic.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
Working with youth
A volunteer cadet program which ran every Friday night between the hours of 6:30pm and 10pm. The management was poor keeping people at lower ranks whilst others in other squadron revived on time promotions.
Pros
Good cadet community
Cons
Bad management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Australian Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3