Royal Australian Navy
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Royal Australian Navy Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Senior Leadership "lost at Sea"

There is a leadership manual in Defence called ADDP 00.6 It is informative, well written and concise. Clearly, very few of Defence Senior leaders have ever read, much less implemented the strategies outlined in this document . The majority of so called "leaders" are self centred politicians who strut around with a veneer of competence yet in the main are abject failures in most facets of management. They do their subordinates a grave disservice and they are detrimental to the service.

Pros

Great Teams and adventures

Cons

Abysmal Senior Leadership

Good Experience

The best career I’ve ever had. It’s a huge learning process which was exciting and I recommend it for school leavers and unemployed to apply for positions their interested in as many avenues to look into which will benefit you.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Can’t think of any

Best job i ever had

You really do get great training, the pay and conditions are competitive. Its best suited to young people the travel is great unless you have a young family then its hard. You'll meet friends you will have for a life time

Pros

Friends for life, free training, see the world

Cons

Hard on families and relationships

Lost sight

Signature Behaviours and values are rarely, if ever demonstrated by Senior Leaders and Managers. Senior Officers are so far out of touch with their people. Most only interested in personal progression through ranks at any cost to achieve Rank, Posting or Job regardless of competence or damage caused. Organising "favours" for associates or "quid pro quo" .Backside covering constantly and distrust of Leadership. Appalling treatment or neglect of subordinates

Pros

Some great people and experiences

Cons

Truly reprehensible leadership

Not recommended - The time spent on an initial enlistment could be better used to finish a degree, TAFE diploma or an apprenticeship.

A collection of some of the worst people I have ever worked with. Zero civilian qualifications, if you don't make the time and effort to study on your own time, you will leave your RAN service with NO recognised qualifications.RAN culture, is well, horrid. Nepotism is rife (especially in the Communications Information Systems world), promotions are not based upon merit, more on "who you know". If you are a single member (i.e. no spouse or children) expect to be continuously at sea with minimal relief and be reward for your efforts with terrible posting locations (why move a family to Darwin when they can dump single members there for their entire career).Free medical and dental is not even worth it. With generally higher wages found in the civilian market you can easily afford base packages if you desire to have private medical insurance. The same applies for rental assistance.Travel, if you have never travelled it can be a novel experience. However, expect to be treated like a child with the amount of restrictions they place upon you when berthed in a foreign port.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Long hours, zero recognised qualifications, poor culture, nepotism, repetitive work

Meet life friendships, Travel, and life skills training.

The first 3 months put you through your paces and push all your buttons to see if your made of the right stuff, Comradery is built, teamwork with coordination, A great lifestyle with moments of pressure to deal with emergencies without panic

Pros

After hours recreation

Cons

long hours and watch keeping work

I absolutely loved my time oin the Royal Australian Navy and i would reccomend the experience to anyone. Fantastic oportunities exist for all within.

I would highly recommend joining the military to anyone. The navy taught me many things about honour, integrity and pride. I made a lot of great friends through training and the live in experience ( I became relaxed and efficient training and working side by side with another or many.) The experience offered many opportunities to better myself and i have taken much from this role wholistically. An excellent career path.

Pros

salary, mateship, pride in the uniform and what it represesents. Interesting and progressive roles.

Cons

The initial training is quite hard.

Exciting adventurous opportunities

The Royal Australian Navy has all the jobs in civilian life and more. They have great training to provide you everything you need in your chosen career from engineering, IT, cyber, nursing, aviation, diving, Project Management, administration and support services.The opportunity to travel is fantastic to experience different places and cultures around the world, but it's not a cruise. You will be doing drills and workups before going on operations such as fire fighting and damage control but if you have a sense of adventure then this is the lifestyle for you. We are one of the best paid defence forces in the world and the benefits are fantastic for you and your family but expect extended and lengthy time away from them if you want to deploy, up to 6 months of the year, but it's a rotation so you move from seagoing to shore positions often and you do have a say in where and what you want to do.

Pros

Excellent training, pay and personal and family benefits.

Cons

lengthy time away from family when deployed

An enjoyable career

Would go back, continue to learn, the hardest part is the time you are away from your family and friends. You do miss milestones in your life, keep in mind its still just a job.

Pros

Training

Cons

Long time away from family and friends

Challenging work that drives a strong team to deliver excellent outcomes

There is a great satisfaction from working within, and leading a high performance team. A team that strives to deliver the best outcomes possible in a competitive environment. The ADF helps an individual to discover their leadership and communications skills, and provides an excellent opportunity for them to develop personal, technical and management proficiencies in a workplace that encourages diversity and innovation. There are many opportuntities to contribute to the defence of Australia, and serving in the ADF is one that brings together many people in many challenging roles from a range of different backgrounds to build a team that strives to overcome adversity.

Jobs at Royal Australian Navy

See more jobs

no 2 days are the same

plenty of travel, meet interesting people, money is good while deployed, food is terrific, plenty of opportunity for advancement through the ranks Be prepared for discipline, if you cant handle it don't bother applying.

Managment

There are always good and bad, however, in the navy people are not promoted on talent or skill. They are promoted due to whoever is available. Therefore management is often terrible. When at sea there is no balance between work and just being a person. and the drinking culture is dangerous.

Would recommend.

The Royal Australian Navy is a job that should not be taken if you are not ready to push yourself and have yourself be pushed. It is a tough job but can be rewarding if you put in.

Unprofessional

It took me a number of years to realise, but this organisation is an embarrasment to "Military". The discharge date is higher than ever and continues to grow. If you take one thing away from reading this, look into other careers. I have 7 years of experience as a technician, and have decided to move onto better things.

Wouldn’t do it to your mental health

The only thing that the navy in particular care about is numbers and statistics and not the priority of their staffs mental health or health in general.

Ran

I don't know why I have to write about this. There's a reason I resigned, and its really none of your business. The don't care about your mental health, your personal life, or anything about you really. You'll always be a number to them, and you're easily replaceable.

Challenging workplace but thoroughly enjoyable career

I've thoroughly enjoyed my career in the Royal Australian Navy as it is a challenge every day. You meet many different people and have many friendships. I would highly recommend it to any one who wants to travel around Australia and the world.

One for the Millennium Snowflakes

Join up. Either one of the 3, Navy, Army, Air Force. They'll treat you like a real man/woman and turn you into a REAL one too. Best thing you will ever do.

Challenging and lots of job satisfaction

A very rewarding career. Many challenges, and lots of travel. Expect to time spend away from home but you are remunerated for it. Chance to gain recognised qualifications

I will never recover from the mental and physical damage they did it has ruined my life

I would never allow any of my children join the navy its full of teasing ,physical and mental abuse, drug addicts ,a bad culture of not being able to seek help without jeopardizing your career ,and if anyone finds you different or vulnerable in anyway you get teased and bullied in your workplace which being in the navy means your workplace is also your home NO ESCAPE from constant humiliations

Sailor

I would recommend anyone to join it is a great way to start out with top training and pay. You get to see other country’s and meet amazing people. Great benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Australian Navy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Royal Australian Navy