Royal Australian Navy Employee Reviews

Excellent Career
Maritime Warfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Australia27 October 2018
the perfect place to get trained and build proper culture for todays society
excellence bar none,
people culture and comradeship never experiences else where
Productive fun and a great career
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Various states and countries25 October 2018
I would recommend to anyone to join the Navy you get to go to many diverse and interesting countries and get to see different cultures in action. The Navy has a great work and Fun balance. I f i was younger i would do it all over again.
Pros
Great team great support
Cons
away from home a lot
Great Learning Enviroment
Marine Technician (Former Employee) –  HMAS STIRLING WA4 October 2018
Enjoyed working in the Royal Australian Navy. It was a great foundation for my trade skills and made pretty of mates along the way. There are a lot of work hours involved which should not be taking lightly.
Overseas deployments were the best part for me definitely recommend for a young person seeking to gain worldly experience.

My experience took me from being a marine technician to being a Mechanical Engineer so it can be done if you work hard
Pros
Pay, Travel, Housing, Medical, Dental
Cons
Family work life balance
A sharp fighting force
MARITIME LOGISTICS OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 October 2018
Unfortunately due to upper management and the government of the day, the royal Australian Navy has gone a little too far with political correctness. There is minimal talent management .
Committed
Communication and Information Systems Sailor (Former Employee) –  Locations throughout Australia18 September 2018
I truly enjoyed sea life. It was a floating camp with friends made for life. Work was hard but enjoyable results working as a team. Highly reccommend to anyone.
Join Up and find out for yourself
Able Seaman (Former Employee) –  World Wide17 September 2018
As it was when I joined the Service the Motto was ' YOU WILL BE WET, HOMESICK AND FRIGHTENED BUT YOU WILL KNOW YOU HAVE A TOP JOB'.

It's a great way for any one leaving school to enter into any one of the Defence Force Family and I mean Family. I don't think you could go wrong by joining. You will experience much more than your average person and learn how to lead and inspire many people whilst enjoying a great career for yourself. Get into it.
Pros
travel, people and just all round rewarding saatifaction.
Cons
Homesickness and sometimes the odd disagreement
Values, pride and mateship
Staff Officer (Current Employee) –  HMAS Stirling13 September 2018
The Navy has evolved to a be a modern employer of choice. There is still some challenges with respect to work life balance and senior leadership (do as I say not as I do).
Pros
Opportunity - job path and travel
Cons
Promotion - procedural fairness
You could end up anywhere, very dynamic.
Trainee Maritime Warfare Officer (MWO) (Former Employee) –  Jervis Bay NSW29 August 2018
The ADF is an exciting job with a big emphasis on training and fitness. There are many aspects which you will not find in any other profession and many good people of all ages. You may spend a lot of time away from family and friends but you get to visit many interesting parts of Australia and the world. There may be long periods between days off.
Teamwork is paramount.
Pros
Ability to learn new skills, travel, close knit team
Cons
Lack of guarantee of career pathway
A toxic corrupt culture
LSCIS (Former Employee) –  Kings Cross NSW22 August 2018
During my employment in the RAN, There were many ups and down.

Cons
Away from family and friends most of the year
Always posted to a ship, never any downtime
CIS Branch is in shambled due to the multiple splits. That are poorly implemented
Political Correctness has taken over, Military war fighting has taken a back seat to PC culture.
Medical and dental is poor quality
Work hours can exceed 72 hours
IT Skill is poor at best
Promotion cycle is ruined due to branch splits
Command cower at any sign of stress
Fraud is rampant on paperwork
As a Sailor you are treated as the scum of the earth
You are treated like a child.
Its free medical, but not good medical, expect to wait years for operations/treatment
Divorce, everyone that has done over ten years has been divorced at least once due to the lifestyle.

Pros
Job Security
Salary is decent.

All in all, if you’re young it teaches you a lot of life skills.
But this environment is not desirable in the long term.
Pros
Good Salary, Job Security
Cons
Seen Below
Terrible workplace
Combat Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 August 2018
A typical day involves meaningless pointless repetitive tasks everything is always broken and command is useless your colleagues are great and a strong bond is formed because of your hardships together but your chain of command is broken unreliable and incompetent it's a pathway that'll send you down a slippery and endless slope
Pros
free dental and medical but it's third world tier medical
Cons
long hours, disgusting people, poor pay for hours worked, no culture or benefits of working well
Reserve Diver
Diver (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 August 2018
Worked with an amazing and dedicated group of people who were always happy to work hard to complete any task set for us. Some task included training ships divers, equipment recovery, open days and many more.
Challenging Career that is rewarding
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 July 2018
Challenging Career that is rewarding. Its very rewarding to serve your country. Im proud of my service. It was challenging at times but rewarding too. I saw the world. They Navy took pretty good care of me. I made life long friends.
Benefits
Cons
Poor managements sometimes.
The Defence Force is a great place to work.
Chief Petty Officer Admin (Current Employee) –  ADFA ACT.19 June 2018
I am not getting out of the RAN due to being disgruntal with it. It has been a great career. In saying that, after 21 years I am after some stability after moving every two years from one city to another. I have learnt to be a great manager and constantly strive to pass my knowledge on. There is no hard and no easy part as I find ever day a good challenge.
Rewarding but demanding
MH-60R 'Romeo' Sensor Operator Standards (Current Employee) –  Nowra NSW7 May 2018
A great career with awesome benefits. Team work and imitative are a must! Travel opportunities abound, if you are driven and can handle some rough days then this is your job!
Pros
Benefits, travel
Cons
Time away from family
Good pay and job progression
Combat Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  All over australia10 March 2018
I enjoyed the most part of my career in the RAN, but after finding a partner and wanting to find a more stable and rewarding job (in my eyes) i decided it was time for me to move on.
Good salary and benefits
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 February 2018
Good for travelling the world, good salary and benefits but organisation is slowly turning into a business and becoming too political instead of being a military.
Whole life is on a ship
Hydrogrpahic Systems Operator (HSO) (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD14 February 2018
When you are at sea, you work so hard and it's so good. You just don't stop and you actually really enjoy it. But when you are alongside, it goes so slow since contractors are on board and you can do anything.
Busy lifestyle with travel opportunites
Marine Technician (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD12 February 2018
A typical day at work while out at sea involves planned and corrective maintenance of machinery and systems. You must be able to run or be part of a small team whether for maintenance jobs, damage control or general duties. Hours are varied.
Benefits
Cons
Working out at sea away from families
Great job , great people
Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Waverton NSW31 January 2018
Greatest job I’ve ever had , met lots of great people , been to some great places , and get to do what I love for a job plus the benefits are great ...
Travel
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 January 2018
The Royal Australian Navy is an excellent place to meet life long friends and travel. While working in the Royal Australian Navy there are plenty of opportunities to experience things that you can not experience in any other workforce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Australian Navy. Our community is ready to answer.