Royal Australian Navy
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Royal Australian Navy:

Royal Australian Navy Employee Reviews

Australia178 reviews
Featured review
Royal Australian Navy selected this as a representative review
I've thoroughly enjoyed my career in the Royal Australian Navy as it is a challenge every day. You meet many different people and have many friendships. I would highly recommend it to any one who wants to travel around Australia and the world.
Would go back, continue to learn, the hardest part is the time you are away from your family and friends. You do miss milestones in your life, keep in mind its still just a job.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long time away from family and friends
There is a great satisfaction from working within, and leading a high performance team. A team that strives to deliver the best outcomes possible in a competitive environment. The ADF helps an individual to discover their leadership and communications skills, and provides an excellent opportunity for them to develop personal, technical and management proficiencies in a workplace that encourages diversity and innovation. There are many opportuntities to contribute to the defence of Australia, and serving in the ADF is one that brings together many people in many challenging roles from a range of different backgrounds to build a team that strives to overcome adversity.
plenty of travel, meet interesting people, money is good while deployed, food is terrific, plenty of opportunity for advancement through the ranks Be prepared for discipline, if you cant handle it don't bother applying.
There are always good and bad, however, in the navy people are not promoted on talent or skill. They are promoted due to whoever is available. Therefore management is often terrible. When at sea there is no balance between work and just being a person. and the drinking culture is dangerous.
The Royal Australian Navy is a job that should not be taken if you are not ready to push yourself and have yourself be pushed. It is a tough job but can be rewarding if you put in.
It took me a number of years to realise, but this organisation is an embarrasment to "Military". The discharge date is higher than ever and continues to grow. If you take one thing away from reading this, look into other careers. I have 7 years of experience as a technician, and have decided to move onto better things.
The only thing that the navy in particular care about is numbers and statistics and not the priority of their staffs mental health or health in general.
I don't know why I have to write about this. There's a reason I resigned, and its really none of your business. The don't care about your mental health, your personal life, or anything about you really. You'll always be a number to them, and you're easily replaceable.
Join up. Either one of the 3, Navy, Army, Air Force. They'll treat you like a real man/woman and turn you into a REAL one too. Best thing you will ever do.
A very rewarding career. Many challenges, and lots of travel. Expect to time spend away from home but you are remunerated for it. Chance to gain recognised qualifications
I would never allow any of my children join the navy its full of teasing ,physical and mental abuse, drug addicts ,a bad culture of not being able to seek help without jeopardizing your career ,and if anyone finds you different or vulnerable in anyway you get teased and bullied in your workplace which being in the navy means your workplace is also your home NO ESCAPE from constant humiliations
I would recommend anyone to join it is a great way to start out with top training and pay.
You get to see other country’s and meet amazing people.

Great benefits
My experience in the Defence Force has been great. I've been able to experience many different cultures. I look forward to moving onto the next chapter in my life and being able to settle down with my family.
In the Royal Australian Navy a typical day consist of conducting PT session from 0730-0830 and then be at work at 0900. logging onto your computer and checking any emails that may have been sent to you. conducting any work that has been set out for the day. I learnt how to build resilience and work in a team. Always iron your uniform and to have great time management skills. The hardest part about my job was being so far away from family for a very long period. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and growing a connecting with people so rapidly. Being able to work together to achieve anything and always encouraging everyone to do their best.
Great way to start a career as a youth.
You will meet friends for life.

Needs to be clear on what certifications you will end up with.

Require a lot better help for people in the civilian transition.
I think it is agreat idea the younger generation to experience this life style and culture!
It can really shape you into a great young men or woman.
I had a great career and don't regret it at all. I continually learned new things every day. It is a very unique work environment which has made me very adaptable.
I loved my time in the Navy, comradery, technical training, traveling and serving my country are all the things that kept me in for 19 years. Great benefits, unbelievable lifestyle for a single person but can be touching a family.
It was a learning curb and influential part of my life. I learned enormous amount of life skills and hand skills. It is an ideal place for young people to apply for and learn sills, make friends and experience different opportunities. It was a job that was demanding and needed a team effort for a successful outcome.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
Seperated from my husband
Military service with good benefits and reasonable salary, depending on your role within the Navy it can be relatively relaxed or fast paced. I would recommend for life experience and professional development plus oppurtunities to do things that no other workplace can offer.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Australian Navy. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3