Royal Darwin Hospital

24: Royal Darwin Hospital Employee Reviews

Australia24 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Fun work place A place to learn

I enjoyed working at Darwin hospital I learnt alot. I worked for RN's which were all down to earth and approachable. I also drove the vans to pick up indigenous folk whom were nice friendly. For dialysis and other appointments. I thoroughly enjoyed working there

Pros

Consistent hrs

Cons

Great shifts some long hrs I enjoyed

Productive work place

Good communication, wide skills and good management. Being a regional area work load is minimal and appropriate for best care. RDH provided patient centreted care and improve the quality of life of this client

A great place to work but due to my circumstances at the time, i only preferred to work as Casual

Royal Darwin Hospital was a great place to work. I worked well in team environment. Most of the time, I find the work rather relaxing due to the slow pace of the environment. I spent quite a bit of time assisting other nurses because of my experience from NSW at Westmead hospital. The only disadvantage for me is that my team leader end up putting me most difficult areas instead of sharing the load and allowing other Nurses to learn in order to built their experiences.

Excellent working environment

The work culture at Royal Darwin Hospital has a unique collaboration between staff. Staff professional and personal Development are paramount to improving the work place culture.

good working environment

Located in peacefull area with good staff and supportive management team. good remuration package with salary sacrifice and 6 weeks annual leave plus 1 pay day of in every minutes

Great place to get experience

It is a busy hospital, with lots of overtime, but rewarding to learn and get skilled in various fields of Medicine. The team of practitioners is supportive.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Heaps of overtime

Got to meet new people

Working at the Hospital got busy at times but got to learn new skills every day was different working rostered shifts people very helpful and full of worked together as a team

Pros

Learning knew skills and meeting lot people of different cultures

Cons

At times work can be stressful but have to just get on with your deal with it

Busy but great working community

Thoroughly enjoyed working in RDH. Learnt so much in the 6+ years as the NT has an interesting and varied cultures. The Unit I worked in was extremely busy but in saying that the staff supported and helped when able and on a whole it was a tight knit staffing unit. Held together by a very energetic, fair and hard working Unit Manager.

Pros

Huge learning experience, more holidays/sick leave, good resources

Cons

Crazy busy, hospital running often above 100%

Professional yet comfortable & adapting surrounds

Department meeting for workloads for the day & sort out priority referrals, distribute workload amongst team if too much for one Dietitian, morning blood tests results reviewed for patients, off to wards to see patients, Back to office to answer emails or email patient information off or set up Nutrition Care plans for supplement companies or for a Aged care facility requiring a meal plan;

Pros

Busy but satisfying work environment; Can be stressful but relaxing looking at ocean views daily;

Cons

Chronic disease patients to see every day every patient; poor food security, pts have food financial status

Productive workplace culture.

Enjoyable professional workplace that values all staff and patients. A place where one can where one is able to develop their profession through being given many new workplace opportunities and the support to continue further education.

Most enjoyable part of job is when not busy able to do some competency

Sometimes busy sometimes not. When busy only time to sit is on break time. Management is bias, depends on who is close to her. Rosterwise, not all requests are granted. And giving more favor to who is close to the manager.

Pros

No weekends. Workload is not as heavy as in the ward. Patients are not staying overnight.

Cons

When busy, no time for break. Understaff sometimes. Agency staff not really knowledgeable about the job.

Only did work experience

i only participated in work experience here. however it was a delight. I was here for two weeks, training to become a personal care assistant. didn't go back.

Pros

Great environment

Cons

Exciting and challanging healthcare jobs in Top end with some of the very diverse community

As part of Nursing job in this hospital means I need to be very good at understanding the Diverse Indigenous and multicultural community and their health expectation. I should have excellent communication skill and ability to interpret the health information to the population who got very low health Literacy, specially indigenous people do not believe in western medical health and health for them is more of emotional and social wellbeing as well. I enjoy the challenging nature of jobs with diverse community and great appreciation from them in some day. Knowing about their traditional treatment and making them believe in biomedical model of health is a great fun yet challenging job.

Shift work 1 to 6 morning ratio and 1 to 8 afternoon ratio. Helpful and informative staff members. Great hands on working/ learning environment. Great life style, and seasons.

Pros

Great Friends

Cons

Shift work

We had Communication Alarm for staff.

Working environment was very good as Darwin was truly a Multicultural community. I really enjoyed working with everybody there. I worked at Royal Darwin Hospital with other staff as one family in a team.

Pros

Biscuits, tea/coffee and milk were free.

Cons

First 15 Minutes and secone 30 Minutes breaks.

Very good place to work

Enjoyably challenging work environment amid somewhat low compliance of a high percentage of patients. Very Interesting Infectious Diseases and Treatments. Many multicultural staff.

Pros

Good benefits of working 'remote', increased Annual Leave and claimable educational benefits.

Cons

Climate leads to high infection risks.

Fun and quick, multicultural work place.

Working in the Royal Darwin Hospital catering sector, everyday is given a different working task. Also since the day is already planned, the time moves quickly without notice. What was learnt from working there is time management, work with safety and a stronger sense of communication. Management there is great. Working in a place that has to feed a hospital full of people their management has to be on point. If not, there would be a lot more stress on the employees of the hospital and not to mention the patients themselves. The co-workers in the Catering sector are the most supportive and helpful people. Having to work along side them, they not only work to get the job done but also befriend you. Hardest part of the job would have to be learning new things but as you work on it becomes easier. Most enjoyable part of working there would have to be meeting new people.

Pros

Friendship, support, help

Cons

Food

Emergency Dept was a busy vibrant place to work.

My days were always busy, the people I worked alongside eg: fellow personal care attendants & the professional colleagues nurses/doctors were all nice people. I was continually learning on a daily basis, due to such a wide range of patients coming in to the Emergency Department. The most difficult part of my job was at times was when we experienced a negative out come, that at times can be difficult. My most rewarding & enjoyable part of my position was to be able to make someone smile & assist in making the patient comfortable & calm.

challenging environment with transit workforce

Unique place with lots of opportunities for improvements in Darwin and also full of interesting medical cases to deal with spiced with tropical conditions.

Pros

Challenging work

Cons

Climate hard to live in

Overall, RDH is a good place to work at.

RDH offers casual nursing position which enables me to have a very flexible life. Most of the shifts that I booked with the nursing resource are granted and very rarely cancelled.

Cons

Very little education advancement opportunities specially for casual workers

Excellent

It is a rewarding and exciting place to work. I enjoy learning something new everyday. My co-workers are helpful and allow me to contribute. Teamwork is always motivating and encourages me to learn.

Pros

Flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Darwin Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Royal Darwin Hospital with