Royal Darwin Hospital Employee Reviews

Got to meet new people
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT7 October 2018
Working at the Hospital got busy at times but got to learn new skills every day was different working rostered shifts people very helpful and full of worked together as a team
Pros
Learning knew skills and meeting lot people of different cultures
Cons
At times work can be stressful but have to just get on with your deal with it
Busy but great working community
Enrolled Nurse level 4 (Current Employee) –  RAPU18 September 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working in RDH. Learnt so much in the 6+ years as the NT has an interesting and varied cultures.
The Unit I worked in was extremely busy but in saying that the staff supported and helped when able and on a whole it was a tight knit staffing unit. Held together by a very energetic, fair and hard working Unit Manager.
Pros
Huge learning experience, more holidays/sick leave, good resources
Cons
Crazy busy, hospital running often above 100%
Professional yet comfortable & adapting surrounds
Clinical Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Royal Darwin Hospital12 September 2018
Department meeting for workloads for the day & sort out priority referrals, distribute workload amongst team if too much for one Dietitian, morning blood tests results reviewed for patients, off to wards to see patients, Back to office to answer emails or email patient information off or set up Nutrition Care plans for supplement companies or for a Aged care facility requiring a meal plan;
Pros
Busy but satisfying work environment; Can be stressful but relaxing looking at ocean views daily;
Cons
Chronic disease patients to see every day every patient; poor food security, pts have food financial status
Productive workplace culture.
Cardiac Research and Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT23 July 2018
Enjoyable professional workplace that values all staff and patients. A place where one can where one is able to develop their profession through being given many new workplace opportunities and the support to continue further education.
Most enjoyable part of job is when not busy able to do some competency
Registered Nurse 2 (Former Employee) –  Tiwi NT15 May 2018
Sometimes busy sometimes not. When busy only time to sit is on break time. Management is bias, depends on who is close to her.
Rosterwise, not all requests are granted. And giving more favor to who is close to the manager.
Pros
No weekends. Workload is not as heavy as in the ward. Patients are not staying overnight.
Cons
When busy, no time for break. Understaff sometimes. Agency staff not really knowledgeable about the job.
Only did work experience
Trainee PC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT14 March 2018
i only participated in work experience here. however it was a delight. I was here for two weeks, training to become a personal care assistant. didn't go back.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Exciting and challanging healthcare jobs in Top end with some of the very diverse community
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tiwi NT30 December 2017
As part of Nursing job in this hospital means I need to be very good at understanding the Diverse Indigenous and multicultural community and their health expectation. I should have excellent communication skill and ability to interpret the health information to the population who got very low health Literacy, specially indigenous people do not believe in western medical health and health for them is more of emotional and social wellbeing as well. I enjoy the challenging nature of jobs with diverse community and great appreciation from them in some day. Knowing about their traditional treatment and making them believe in biomedical model of health is a great fun yet challenging job.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT31 May 2017
Shift work 1 to 6 morning ratio and 1 to 8 afternoon ratio.
Helpful and informative staff members.
Great hands on working/ learning environment.
Great life style, and seasons.
Pros
Great Friends
Cons
Shift work
We had Communication Alarm for staff.
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Rockland, Tiwi3 May 2017
Working environment was very good as Darwin was truly a Multicultural community. I really enjoyed working with everybody there.
I worked at Royal Darwin Hospital with other staff as one family in a team.
Pros
Biscuits, tea/coffee and milk were free.
Cons
First 15 Minutes and secone 30 Minutes breaks.
Very good place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT17 January 2017
Enjoyably challenging work environment amid somewhat low compliance of a high percentage of patients. Very Interesting Infectious Diseases and Treatments. Many multicultural staff.
Pros
Good benefits of working 'remote', increased Annual Leave and claimable educational benefits.
Cons
Climate leads to high infection risks.
Fun and quick, multicultural work place.
Catering Assistant / Specialised Diet (Current Employee) –  Darwin NT30 March 2016
Working in the Royal Darwin Hospital catering sector, everyday is given a different working task. Also since the day is already planned, the time moves quickly without notice.
What was learnt from working there is time management, work with safety and a stronger sense of communication.
Management there is great. Working in a place that has to feed a hospital full of people their management has to be on point. If not, there would be a lot more stress on the employees of the hospital and not to mention the patients themselves.
The co-workers in the Catering sector are the most supportive and helpful people. Having to work along side them, they not only work to get the job done but also befriend you.
Hardest part of the job would have to be learning new things but as you work on it becomes easier.
Most enjoyable part of working there would have to be meeting new people.
Pros
Friendship, support, help
Cons
Food
Emergency Dept was a busy vibrant place to work.
Patient Care Attendant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Emergency Department22 January 2016
My days were always busy, the people I worked alongside eg: fellow personal care attendants & the professional colleagues nurses/doctors were all nice people. I was continually learning on a daily basis, due to such a wide range of patients coming in to the Emergency Department.
The most difficult part of my job was at times was when we experienced a negative out come, that at times can be difficult.
My most rewarding & enjoyable part of my position was to be able to make someone smile & assist in making the patient comfortable & calm.
challenging environment with transit workforce
Clinical Dietetic Manager (Former Employee) –  Darwin22 October 2015
Unique place with lots of opportunities for improvements in Darwin and also full of interesting medical cases to deal with spiced with tropical conditions.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Climate hard to live in
Overall, RDH is a good place to work at.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Darwin9 October 2015
RDH offers casual nursing position which enables me to have a very flexible life. Most of the shifts that I booked with the nursing resource are granted and very rarely cancelled.
Cons
Very little education advancement opportunities specially for casual workers
Excellent
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  WA4 February 2015
It is a rewarding and exciting place to work. I enjoy learning something new everyday. My co-workers are helpful and allow me to contribute. Teamwork is always motivating and encourages me to learn.
Pros
Flexible
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Darwin, NT3 February 2015
My shift starts at 6 pm. At first I get handover from the RN. Then I take clothes of patients from washing machine fold them and keep on the drawer of patients. Then I refill the stock like pads, toilet paper plastic bags. At 7 am, I start to help patients for toileting, oral hygiene, showering etc. At 7:30 we start to serve breakfast and help for feeding. I go for my first break between 8 am to 9 am. Morning tea is served at 9 am. After finishing morning tea, I help for the rest of toileting and showering. Around at 10 am, we take patients downstairs for fresh air and extra activities and bring back at 11:30 when Lunch starts. I serve lunch and feed some of the patients.

I learnt about a new patient who is suffering from huntington's disease.

I need to manage time efficiently as I need to look after 6 patients co-ordinating with RN.

The hardest part of the job is the challenging behaviour of some of the patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see some of the patients making improvements and our team work.
great bunch of people to work for and very rewarding
Ward Clerk (Former Employee) –  cairns14 September 2014
loved my job, worked in all aspects of the hospitals administration teaM
Pros
cheap lunches at staff canteen
A good place to work
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT8 June 2012
Dynamic environment with insufficient funding, staff and facilities.