RSPCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

RSPCA Employee Reviews

Australia7 reviews
Good job. Nice place. Nice culture. Easy interview process. Easy tasks. Definitely not difficult and lots of fun. Loved hanging out with the cats and dogs.
stack shelves price items sort through which items were good and which one s to through out work on the cashregister dealing with money and sometimes dealing with difficult customers
This was initially my dream job and I had wanted this job since I was 7yrs old but it quickly turned into a nightmare.

Bullying and exclusion was done from day one from all levels - colleagues, team leaders and managers.

When I raised that I was being bullied and had health issues they cut my shifts from 4 a week to 2 a week. They expect you to stay back 10 minutes to 1 hour without extra enumeration.

They will put you on a casual contract and only offer full time to a select few.

There is a lot of office politics. If you're not a managers favourite expect to get very few shifts. If you speak out against bullying expect to be gradually removed.

You will see at least one coworker crying per shift due to the shelter practice and the high euthanization rates (approximately 20-50 animals on average are put down per week, contrary to what they say they appear to euthanize for space). Despite saying that they only kill and euthanize for behavioral issues this is not truly the case and animals are euthanized regularly for very inconsequential reasons (animals euthanized when they have not been in the shelter's care for longer than a week) and if they aren't the favourites of management staff who make these decisions.

The managers have little to no management skills and do not know how to explain or delegate tasks. Then they will blame you.

They will expect you to do all the menial jobs and cleaning gutters full of poo that havent been cleaned in months for at least your first 3 months.

I wish I did not have to say all these bad things and could say that it
 - more...
I find it very enjoyable and relaxing to work in animal assistance. It is something I wish to pursue in the future and I believe that volunteering with the RSPCA gave me very crucial experience for this.
Bullying, exclusion and disrespect is the norm. Very poor culture, with very poor management on most levels.

Putting animals down is very very common.
I wanted to continue my veterinary study and this was the place to be. To get full licence I needed so much money so had to get something to keep me going.
I worked at RSPCA Australia for some time. In that time I found the staff to be very rude, unhelpful, bullying and generally making it really hard for me to do my job. 97% of animals brought into the RSPCA were euthunaised and most weren't done humanely. The press that you see is on TV is hugely exaggerated to get donations but the reality and behind the scenes is very much different. The staff you see on the TV are using their 'press' and 'TV' persona. I got mental health issues, compassion fatigue and PTSD due to the job and when I told the manager I was threatened with losing my job so in the end I voluntarily left. The job was hard enough without the staff making it even harder.
Pros
I got to make some animals better.
Cons
Bullying, long hours, exhausting, a lot of euthunaising.