SA Water
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

SA Water Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

A constantly changing management structure and philosophy with many poor decisions.

Over nine years I had to apply for my role and position over five times due to management and organisational structure changes. While my direct management was wonderful and our department kicked some major goals and led massive improvement, the constant change made maintaining continuity in work very difficult. Maybe they will settle down soon!

Fragmented organisation

Some great hard working people at the front line doing their best to maintain old infrastructure. Unfortunately, they are let down by ineffective middle and senior management who appear to be wasting time blaming others for their failed change management programs.

Pros

Flexible working conditions

Cons

Lack of movers and shakers at management level

its ok i guess

good place to work for if run properly....it starts from the top... we got a good group of guys but the amount of work required to be done can be draining and demanding

Good salary and work life balance but best read my detailed review..

Honest, committed, and hard working folks at the "coal face". Work there for a short time only for the money and experience. But... the higher up a person worked for in Business Services, and away from where the day to day work takes place, the more problematic they became to work for. I tried to tell myself that these Managers were just egotistical but eventually realised some are bullies, psychotic, and narcissists. I had a hard time working there because some Managers I believe deliberately tried to make my working there harder than it should have been in an ideal workplace. I suspect that it was because I am a member of a different accounting body than the "accepted" accounting body, or that they might be ageist. Or that they just disliked me. It was unfortunate that I was on fixed term contracts and I would have to ask my Manager next removed if they were or weren't going to renew my contract. They liked to make me sweat a little by letting me know a couple of days before contract end that they would renew my contract. Gradually, though the length of the contract was getting reduced from 6 months to just two weeks! I was told in a Group Finance Department meeting that my Finance Officer role was being made redundant before being told in person - rude. Another time in a finance team meeting I was told that I was leaving SA Water Business Services shortly, and that I was going to be training a new Accountant - before thay told me beforehand. How rude was that! I managed to move from Finance Officer to Management Accountant (MA) but unfortunately the nice guy Finance -

Great team workers

Team members were very helpful when it came to assisting me in any matter. Team members were able to show me around and I was introduced to the whole team crew.

Pros

Free lunch

Great Starting Point

This was my first job outside of school, I believe now that I'm older i took this for granted. The workplace is like no other and the training and support offered is amazing.

Pros

Great bonuses

Cons

N/a

No longer there

Old school workplace with old values. People pitched in and when work needed to be done, it was done. An essential service that was butchered by bean counters that looked at the wealth of the business not its worth.

working at SA Water

i love the office environment, it is easy to work in and people are easy to get along with, it is very laid back flowie not overly fast-paced but working with the school kids and running tours down at the Adelaide Desalination Plant would be my favourite part of my job.

Pros

flexible, people are nice

Cons

stressful most times, not secured in a position, short lunch breaks

Great pay but conditions are dwindeling

While the pay was great and the workmates were fantastic there is too many managers being forced to cut jobs to save money. Sadly they do this with unsavory tactics and has seen many people be put into positions to take packages or pay cuts. Won't surprise me if the company goes private in the next 5 years.

Pros

pay

Cons

management and expectations

I enjoyed working at SA Water there is a good team enviroment.

There is no typical day at work with SA Water because everyday brings something different like a burst water main or reading water meters or installing a new water service for a new house.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SA Water?

excellent place to work

Excellent place to work, excellent teams, strong ethical values.

Environnement de travail agréable

Il n'y a pas vraiment de journée de travail de typique. La journée s'organise en fonction du travail à faire. On peut donc préparer les expériences à faire, les réaliser et suivant la quantité de données reçues, les données peuvent être analysées et ensuite réorganisées pour pouvoir être clairement présentées. Les bureaux sont en open space donc les collaborateurs sont très présents pour pouvoir répondre à la moindre question. Des réunions régulières sont mises en place pour vérifier l'avancée des projets avec la hiérarchie. C'était très agréable de disposer d'une grande autonomie pour organiser ses journées et ses expériences. Il était souvent difficile de comprendre l'étendue des différents projets et problèmes associés, sachant que j'assistais à toutes les réunions de l'équipe alors que je ne restais que 6 mois, mais cela donnait un fort sentiment d'appartenance à l'équipe.

Pros

Terrasse au 3e étage agréable pour déjeuner, vestiaire avec douches au sous sol pour ceux qui viennent à pied ou à vélo

Cons

Bâtiment un peu bruyant en présence de visiteurs (enfants-applaudissements)

Good work life balance, slow to react and get things done.

With the exception of operations the overall company was slow in its processes and unfortunately did not rerward excellence for extra effort.

Pros

Good personal development

Cons

Little advancement possibilities

Introducing an atmosphere of striving to be the best, and having fun and a sense of achievement.

A typical day was demanding, satisfying but enjoyable. It would be fair to say that before my appointment the existing personnel were staid, satisfied with a 'near enough' attitude and went about their work with a 'it's a job mentality' and they suffered from insufficient resources. Within a reasonable period I had introduced a culture of teamwork, never being satisfied, having fun at work, wearing an (introduced) uniform with pride and an increase in their self esteem within the emergency management / business continuity community by being recognised as the best.

Pros

Independence to achieve

Cons

Being on call 24/7 (having said that, I actually enjoyed it!)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SA Water. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• SA Water