Safe Places for Children
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Safe Places for Children Employee Reviews

Australia48 reviews
Lots of potential, business fundamentals lacking
The organisation really cares for the sector and knows its challenges. Management too inwardly focused; all power mostly held by a handful of executives. Fundamental changes must happen at board level if this organisation is to succeed. Strong perception of ‘founder syndrome’ permeating throughout the organisation. No clarity on objectives or deliverables. Most in management don’t have strong commercial experience and were internally promoted. Organisation lacks external expertise which is badly needed to drive progress internally.
Pros
Good salary, great office location
Cons
No clarity on objectives or deliverables or how to measure success, Management unclear on how to measure success themselves, too much reliance on the Board to make all the decisions
underpaid and no support
Safe places have the best inductions of any of the Residential organisations I worked for, however, that's where it stops. The shift components need to be restructured. only allowing for 24hr or 48hr shifts causes the large amount of burnout of staff.

The pay is also the lowest I have been paid, $24/hr is low for day rate, yet alone night rate.

If safe places offered better salary, little more support for staff when they are on shift and offering split shifts, they wouldn't be the worst place to work for.
Worst place i have ever worked. Unsafe, violent and aggressive
The company is full of promises at the induction, but that is where it ends. No support on the floor. Staff being violently abused and assaulted and it all gets covered up. Do not come to this company. Most staff only stay for two or three months. some even less. Shocking staff turn over. Management do not have proper qualifications. Little self written certificates to make them seem like they have uni degrees but they dont. It is a sham and a shame that the kids have to be subjected to this. Absolutely NO support. People in Australia are getting wise to them so they recruit from NZ or overseas. Big expenses which you have to cover. NO NO NO dont come here.
Highly rewarding and always learning!
I was employed as a Youth Worker, started with incredible training and studying benefits (Cert IV paid for by the company). I worked with highly vulnerable children and learnt strategies to improve their livelihood and coping skills. It was hard work, but rewarding, not for everyone but truly a passionate team to work with in the advancement of children in our communities.
Pros
Paid Study Opportunites, Team work.
Great place to work!
Great work culture, gutted I left to be honest! Everyone started from the bottom and worked their way up so everyone always had a good understanding of what you were doing. Constant support all around you, what more could you want?
Unfair and underpaid
Horrible company, you're bullied by higher management, guilt tripped into doing extra shifts, hurt, judged and overall underpaid. You are painted as a 'glorified babysitter' and expect to be paid near nothing. Dont apply, the company will be shut down soon enough anyway.
Don't do it
These children's behaviours are being enabled by the lack of responsible and educated management. Some of these kids having experienced trauma should be doing council and life skills programs. Instead, they are stuck in a house with a youth worker eating, watching tv/ video games and running a muck. There is no repocussions on their behaviours. $50 for a sleepover- I would have rather gone home instead of being paid that disgusting amount.
Avoid at all cost
Worst place ever, avoid at all cost. Lies and exploitation of workers on visa. Ruined many lives and dont really cares about workers. Workers are underpaid. There is no support when required. Ask for everything on the paper so you can support yourself with written proof.
Not for the weak hearted.
The company provides great training for its employees and pays for employees to gain their certification needed to preform your duties. Most of the kids are good kids, days are fun (nights are awful).
The company is money based, there is little care for children’s well being when matching kids in the houses. Staff are over worked, under paid, oncall 24/7, staff are put in situations fear for your safety (no care for staff safety). Staff are not supported and made to do extra shifts with little notice. Staff can be on a shift for up to 72 hours straight with highly aggressive abusive children. As a youth worker you will see things you would never expect to see from a child. Great experience as a starting point just be careful of the company you choose.
Busy environment within residential care sector.
Multifaceted duties performing different roles on a daily basis.
Excellent salary sacrificing benefits due to not for profit status of company. Assisting vulnerable children within our service is most rewarding aspect of job.
Terrible management
The only good thing I can say is Safe Places is a great teething place for youth workers coming into the industry. If you can get through 12 months here, with the complex kids, the assaults and unsupportive management, you’ll find youth work a breeze anywhere else. Ill matched kids placed into homes with each other, triggering each other’s traumas to make money is unethical.
No Support and no opportunitys to advance
Unless you are on a working Visa you wont get the chance to go far in this company.
24hrs on shift, have to stay for entire 24hrs and sleep between 10pm and 6pm but are not paid for those hours.
Worst job ever
Do not work for this company
They do not roster you on enough hours and expect you to be on call to make up any deficit. You will burn out!

They say they value youth workers but that does not actually happen.

The value is in the training they offer and possible advancement of career if you can stand it.

Kids are cool!
Great child focused organisation
This is a great organisation who is focused on helping and making a difference to the most vulnerable YP. Staff, teams and Management ride the journey with the YP rather then just giving up when times get tough. You are offered and provided a high amount of support from your team, supervisor and management.
Pros
Wage, 24hr shifts, YP outcomes, team and support
Cons
Shifts can be tiring due to the complex behaviours, but with 24 hour shifts you have more time off
Mentally and emotionally capable
This job is not for everyone!
I feel you need to be mentally and emotionally strong for this line of work. I really have enjoyed working for this company so far.
Pros
work and life balance is great
Cons
very long hours
Underpayed,long hour work
Working with high risk children is a challenging work and I enjoy working with challenging children but it is not paid well and your security is not really taken to account when working in the communities.

I have learned to manage my time and safety well in the past 10 years of working in these type of work and I enjoy the challengers and rapport building I gain with other people and their family.

it is very rewarding to see that they make changers in life and even thou at times those changers are only baby steps but it is a beginning to making positive changers in their life.

The toughest bit about the job is the weekends and night call outs but because your passion about children's safety and positive development, I switch to strength base approach and tackle not only the odd hours but also the negative response from the client you will be working with in that case scenario.
Pros
Go places in the day with the child
Cons
Long hours work and not paid proper rates ini the weekends and nights.
Don’t waste your time
I was hired but i only lasted 3 days because the trainers would give you tests for fire workplace safety then tell you that you failed but not even bother to explain anything. They get you to do a whole certificate course and not even check if you have already done the same units of study. Then they assume that the laws in Victoria around youth and family are the same as in Queensland. Then the trainer thought she knew everything about how to speak to difficult kids who have experienced trauma even though i have higher qualifications
Pros
free lunch in training
Cons
pay rates are horrible
challenging but rewarding
Very challenging young people to work with but rewarding experience.
good pay but a lot of extra shifts being offered at short notice all the time due to understaffing.

They paid for my Certificate IV.

Jobs stability and opportunity to advance you want.
Pros
stability and pay
Cons
challenging behavours, lots of reports to write
Great Workplace
Overall the workplace is good, good support offered after challenging shifts and good professional development opportunities. Have completed a Certificate IV while employed which has been hugely beneficial as this would have cost me a lot. 24 or 48 hour shifts can be draining but are good in getting more consecutive days off. Behaviours are challenging but the young people make the hard days worth it. Like the fact the position has a salary and can salary sacrifice.
Pros
Good Career Development
Cons
Challenging young people
Quality outfit
Safe Places model of care is based on small teams so the young person has more stability. So you generally work 24 hours shifts, though you also get more days off each week. Worked well for me. Standards are also high, which will weed out non-performers pretty quickly. I didn't mind this because I then knew I could rely on my co-workers and also the young people deserve staff who are serious about the job. If you have potential, you will be supported with lots of training and advice.
Pros
Excellent training. They pay for your qualifications. Great supervisors
Cons
Long shifts but then again, more days off.
RUN! Run away as fast as you can - a hellish job full of abuse
This is the kind of company I would expect to see outed on 60 minutes or A Current Affair.

A typical shift is at least 24 hours long. They say you can go to bed from 10pm until 6am - that rarely happens. You're either still up dealing with heightened, aggressive young people or tackling shift and incident reports. If you're up til 2am dealing with incidents.. you don't get paid for that time. If you haven't slept more than 2 or 3 hours, you won't get someone come to take over. You'll still be expected to complete your shift and make good judgment calls whilst severely fatigued.

They make great speeches about supporting staff, strategies to avoid burning out staff and so on... it's all talk and when it comes to the crunch, nothing is followed through.. it never happens. Management use and abuse staff.

The kids - the poor kids are so traumatised, their behaviour is often extremely aggressive and yes, many will actually assault you. You spend your day getting verbally abused, threatened and it will break you down eventually. You can expect to walk away from this job traumatised yourself.

My entire training group had quit within 3 or 4 months. Worst job I have ever had.

I suspect the 5 star reviews on here are from management trying to do damage control.
Pros
You can salary sacrifice They promote from within.. if there's actually any staff left to promote
Cons
Expect to be called in constantly to cover shifts at the last minute, Expect to be lied to, manipulated and guilt tripped into accepting these shifts, Unrealistic expectations of staff, Management is disorganised.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Places for Children. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8