Safe Places for Children Employee Reviews

Underpayed,long hour work
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA28 April 2019
Working with high risk children is a challenging work and I enjoy working with challenging children but it is not paid well and your security is not really taken to account when working in the communities.

I have learned to manage my time and safety well in the past 10 years of working in these type of work and I enjoy the challengers and rapport building I gain with other people and their family.

it is very rewarding to see that they make changers in life and even thou at times those changers are only baby steps but it is a beginning to making positive changers in their life.

The toughest bit about the job is the weekends and night call outs but because your passion about children's safety and positive development, I switch to strength base approach and tackle not only the odd hours but also the negative response from the client you will be working with in that case scenario.
Pros
Go places in the day with the child
Cons
Long hours work and not paid proper rates ini the weekends and nights.
Don’t waste your time
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 April 2019
I was hired but i only lasted 3 days because the trainers would give you tests for fire workplace safety then tell you that you failed but not even bother to explain anything. They get you to do a whole certificate course and not even check if you have already done the same units of study. Then they assume that the laws in Victoria around youth and family are the same as in Queensland. Then the trainer thought she knew everything about how to speak to difficult kids who have experienced trauma even though i have higher qualifications
Pros
free lunch in training
Cons
pay rates are horrible
challenging but rewarding
youth worker (Former Employee) –  Townsville19 March 2019
Very challenging young people to work with but rewarding experience.
good pay but a lot of extra shifts being offered at short notice all the time due to understaffing.
They paid for my Certificate IV.
Jobs stability and opportunity to advance you want.
Pros
stability and pay
Cons
challenging behavours, lots of reports to write
Great Workplace
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD19 March 2019
Overall the workplace is good, good support offered after challenging shifts and good professional development opportunities. Have completed a Certificate IV while employed which has been hugely beneficial as this would have cost me a lot. 24 or 48 hour shifts can be draining but are good in getting more consecutive days off. Behaviours are challenging but the young people make the hard days worth it. Like the fact the position has a salary and can salary sacrifice.
Pros
Good Career Development
Cons
Challenging young people
Quality outfit
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD19 March 2019
Safe Places model of care is based on small teams so the young person has more stability. So you generally work 24 hours shifts, though you also get more days off each week. Worked well for me. Standards are also high, which will weed out non-performers pretty quickly. I didn't mind this because I then knew I could rely on my co-workers and also the young people deserve staff who are serious about the job. If you have potential, you will be supported with lots of training and advice.
Pros
Excellent training. They pay for your qualifications. Great supervisors
Cons
Long shifts but then again, more days off.
RUN! Run away as fast as you can - a hellish job full of abuse
Residential Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD15 February 2019
This is the kind of company I would expect to see outed on 60 minutes or A Current Affair.

A typical shift is at least 24 hours long. They say you can go to bed from 10pm until 6am - that rarely happens. You're either still up dealing with heightened, aggressive young people or tackling shift and incident reports. If you're up til 2am dealing with incidents.. you don't get paid for that time. If you haven't slept more than 2 or 3 hours, you won't get someone come to take over. You'll still be expected to complete your shift and make good judgment calls whilst severely fatigued.

They make great speeches about supporting staff, strategies to avoid burning out staff and so on... it's all talk and when it comes to the crunch, nothing is followed through.. it never happens. Management use and abuse staff.

The kids - the poor kids are so traumatised, their behaviour is often extremely aggressive and yes, many will actually assault you. You spend your day getting verbally abused, threatened and it will break you down eventually. You can expect to walk away from this job traumatised yourself.

My entire training group had quit within 3 or 4 months. Worst job I have ever had.

I suspect the 5 star reviews on here are from management trying to do damage control.
Pros
You can salary sacrifice They promote from within.. if there's actually any staff left to promote
Cons
Expect to be called in constantly to cover shifts at the last minute, Expect to be lied to, manipulated and guilt tripped into accepting these shifts, Unrealistic expectations of staff, Management is disorganised.
Disgusting
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Caboolture QLD5 January 2019
A typical day with Safe Places includes dealing with complex behaviours. You are also likely to be starting early or ending late or pulling extra shifts with little notice. There is a high turn over of staff due to nature of the work and mismanagement. Higher management is disorganised and ineffective. Plans never come to fruition and frontline staff pay the price.

There is a culture of gas lighting. Layers of support are offered but rarely genuine. Do not expect to be favoured for doing your contracted hours. There is no limit to the over time expected of you and it is not appreciated.

The hardest part of this job is the hard days with complex young people. This is coupled with disingenuous support that preaches avoiding burnout and encourages self care but makes it near impossible to achieve either of these.

Pro: Safe Places promote from within.
Pro: The kids are hard work but the relationships you build are priceless.
Cons: Comes at a cost.
Pros
Promotes from within
Cons
Everything else.
Bad work place stay right away
Youth worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 December 2018
Super unorganised company. Workers are all burnt out and are not only a risk to the younge people they are working with but all other workers. After your 24 hour shift you aren’t finished, you will be lucky to ever finish on time and constantly oncall. No proper support for staff at all. Workers all smoke with clients, houses are run by the children not the workers. Horrible horrible horrible!
Cons
Do not work here!! They are a for profit organisation!
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD25 November 2018
This organisation is a disgrace, everything about management is absolutely disgusting!! Workers are not supported AT ALL!! They expect overtime but do not pay you for it. They employ anyone off the street, have a extremely high turn over of staff. Please do not work here, while higher up management is driving around in a laxurious car workers are being abused and very under paid. They need to be exposed.
Paid training, good pay
youth worker (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD16 October 2018
Good pay rate, paid informative training, opportunity for overtime and extra shifts are always offered, opportunities for progression always present themselves if people are wanting to advance or have the ability to display leadership and initiative.
There is always opportunities to travel to support other zones.
Good company.
Pros
the recent payrise and ability to pick up extra shift
Cons
challenging young people
Challenging daily but always Rewarding
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Queensland1 October 2018
The work that you do at Safe Places for Children is some of the hardest but some of the most rewarding. Depite the challenges of extreme young people there is always support and an approchable manager a phone call away and ready to help. There is plenty of progression oppourtunity however people are not forced into progressing and it is based on merit rather than time with the company which is a refreshing change. Would still be with the company if I didnt move away from where they operate.
Pros
Supportive environment; Career oppourtunity; Diverse employee base; Always changing for the better
Cons
Challenging behaviours of young people; Sleepover shifts
Enjoyed working here
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 September 2018
I started at Safe Places as a youth worker where the role was very challenging as I was working with clients who have extreme behavioral issues.
Over time I became very confident in my ability to to utilize my learned skills in various scenarios with clients.
In time I was promoted to a Case Managers role which I enjoyed immensely.
Over seeing clients care plan, staff meeting, staff rostering and supervision were part of my duties.
Liaising and building rapport with many key stakeholders was an integral part of my work.
For personal I resigned from this company to return to Melbourne
Pros
Helping clients achieve goals. Being appreciated by my peers for work
Cons
Some overnight stays and challenging situations
Rewarding and Innovative
Quality and Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Queensland, Australia16 September 2018
I have been able to develop through many positions in the organisation. I have been supported by my supervisors and colleagues with job requirements.

I have been able to travel Australia with the organisation and further develop in career development.

I enjoy the challenges of supporting staff to achieve outcomes for the young people we care for.
Pros
Training is paid for and always developing staff. Supportive teams and reflective practice explored.
Ever changing, comoany full of development
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD15 September 2018
Training was good loads of detail about trauma very realistic expectation set about the behaviours you will encounter.
Once your on the floor support is given from your case managers and team mates. My manager at the time wad focused on developed of her team there was alot of empowerment and autonomy in the houses.
Work life balance is hard to maintain, 24-48 hour shifts are challenging even harder to balance when shifts need covering.
Pros
24-7 support, tight accountability, close team, working with traumatised kids.
Cons
Long shifts, tight accountability need to no all aspects of supporting the kids during escalations
Excellent career oppoertinities
Senior Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA14 September 2018
Safe places is the best place I've seen for career advancement- they only recruit from entry level up and you can work your way up really quickly. The management team are really supportive and approachable and feel very valued for what I do.
Pros
Supported, career development, job satisfaction
Cons
Challenging kids
Good Management and work culture
Youth Worker 1 (Current Employee) –  Point Cook VIC8 March 2018
Great use of Dyadic Therapy. Hardest part of the job is the 24 hour shifts and possible double shifts that may be required. Best part is watching kids being able to be kids.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long shift
What a mistake I made...
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD1 March 2018
I've had the privilege of working with some great social welfare organisations throughout my career, then I ventured into Safe Places For Children. Guys, please be careful. The pay is horrendous with the accounting team actually missing complete days that I worked and any emails that I sent, were ignored.

Helping the disadvantaged children was by far the best part and I did have a good team to work with. But when you weigh up all the pros and cons, I understand why this organisation has a extremely high staff turnover.

If you're trying to break into the social welfare industry pay your dues here but know there is much greener pastures elsewhere.
Pros
Good team of workers. Introduction training was good.
Cons
Pay is disgusting. They don't pay you what you're entitled.
Worst company I have worked for
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD20 January 2018
Training is the best part of this role. They treat you well, give you free lunches and make the company structure and support sound amazing.

However once you hit the floor it’s a completely different story. They expect long work hours at short notice. There are some good staff but most never last long enough with the longest Youth worker in my area being there 2.5 months.

Management is a nightmare and if you get injured on the job except them to try to worm their way out of any compo claims. All this talk of we will protect staff is a lie. There is little support from management after serious incidents.

Pay is average for what you have to do and put up with. Working with the kids was the best part.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
lots of professional development and team bonding events
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane North QLD28 December 2017
I have learned a lot in trauma informed care and therapeutic approaches, workplace culture can be ok depending on who you are working with, hardest part of the job was not a lot of life/work balance and attending mandatory trainings and meetings on your days off, the best part was the people.
Pros
the people
Cons
extra long shifts and called in on days off
Terrible management
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD10 July 2017
Initial training is very good, you have to complete a Cert 3 in Community services with in 6 months. Pay and conditions is very average, Management have overbearing expectation of their staff and expect to be on available 24/7. Senior management in my zone I found to be very arrogant and unsupportive. Helping the kids was a great part of the job.
Pros
Showing badly traumatised kids some kindness
Cons
pay, arrogant Case and Area managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Places for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Safe Places for Children Reviews by Location