Safe Places for Children

Safe Places for Children Employee Reviews

Australia65 reviews

2.6Work–Life Balance

Rewarding but extremely stressful

Amazing induction but that’s where it stops. Working with children and young people who come from extremely traumatized backgrounds. Shifts are 24 hours (you sleep 10pm-6am and are not paid during this time. That is, you are expected to stay up and support a young person if they’re escalated or in a crisis and not be paid for this time). Sometimes after a long shift, you are expected to stay back because management cannot find cover and they do not come in to cover you, despite them being on-call. All staff are burnt out and overworked. You are exposed to physical assault and verbal abuse on daily basis however the work with the young people can be extremely rewarding. Boundaries and self-care is a must. Easy opportunity to get internally promoted despite only being there for a few months. This is because there is a high turnover of staff and unfortunately, this promotes nepotism. Lack of support from management even after experiencing a critical incident. Work culture can be clicky.

Pros

Rewarding work, decent pay, 6 weeks annual leave, annual bonuses, paid Cert IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention

Cons

Overworked, burn out, constantly being called in to cover shifts on days off, having to attend training or meetings on your days off

Great place to work and gain experience

Safe Places is a fantastic place to work. Don’t get me wrong, it can be extremely challenging, they take on the extremely traumatised, high risk kids, the work is not for everyone but the training is brilliant, the pay is very good, you get 6 weeks of annual leave per year, you can pick up extra shifts to build your hours up for extra pay outs or more time off if needed, it is usually very rewarding and the support you get is second to none. There is also so much opportunity to progress into senior roles and management, most employees from case managers up state managers and CEO started there as a youth worker and worked their way up so they understand what their youth workers go through and plenty of support is offered, no one that asks for more support is ever turned down. I have worked in many residential settings (aged care, disability, youth work) and this is by far the best place I have ever worked!

Pros

Benefits, pay, supportive culture, rewarding work

Cons

Can be stressful, you need to be a strong, resilient person to last in the role

Terrible company to work for

In all honesty, this is the worst work enviornment ive seen coming from multiple shift work industries and fields of work. - 24hr shifts, only paid for 16hrs as your meant to sleep for 8hrs but if you are woken up in that 8hr time you arent paid, you are given poor excuses around the EBA, lack of empathy and sympathy from managers, and unless you score lucky with a good house of kids it you never get the 8hrs.- underpaid, honestly for what you do, you are 3 jobs in one (Babysitter, counsellor and parent). You will do everything as if you are a parent and a babysitter/carer for a kid from whatever they demand or need, and counselling for any issues they have and provide support for bare minimum wages. 60k-80k. for a multiple inclusive role this should be closer to 80-100k.- higher management do not care for the kids, instead only care for the numbers and profit which sacrifices the quality of care for the kids, and do not spend enough time matching persoanlities to kids to ensure a good fit for the home. it is filled with excuses and poor reasoning for structural changes or situations- MASSIVE lack of support in incidents or high risk situations unless you are LUCKY enough to get a good case manager which currently there is only one in my experience, the rest give bullcrap reasonings from the EBA putting the worker at risk and in danger.

Pros

Cert IV through seed skills.

Cons

Everything. Underpaid, bad hours, bad management, lack of empathy and care to employees or the kids.

Horrible

Worst job of my entire life. Inexperienced management. Workers are burnt out. No support from managers. Employed as a full time however there is an hours bank. You’re not guaranteed full time hours so you’re expected to owe them hours so have to check emails constantly to see if there are any shifts available. No work life balance. Constantly on-call and expected to come in on your day off however managers get angry if you contact them in their day off. Incompetent trainers - literally know nothing about trauma informed care. Shifts are 24 hours but you’re only paid 14 hours as you’re supposed to be asleep between 10pm-6am but that rarely happens as you’re always up responding to crisis. Highest turnover ever…. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Jason Bourne once said "look at us, look at what they make you give.

The good. - highly competitive pay ($20,000 above similar roles in other organisations.Well structured, safeplaces have been doing this for a while so know what they doing.Management for the most part are supportive.The bad. - 24 hour shifts, managers are overworked and underpaid only making $4 more then a senior youth worker. Therefore if you want to raise to the top and progress in your career expect to see the ugly side of things as I did.Politics are "not allowed" but that dosent stop it from happening.

Supportive and inclusive workplace

I enjoy working for this company. The young people can be challenging but overall there are more better days than tough days. Being part of a consistent team works well.I find Management to be supportive and transparent.Long hours can be tough but there is 6 weeks annual leave per year. It’s rewarding seeing the young people building positive skills and meeting goals. I would recommend working for this company

Not a good culture

Management was not a great help to workers. There was favouritism shown towards personal friends who worked there. Management didn't listen to workers.

Very poor culture

Safe places was once a company that made a difference in kids lives. However it is now an organisation that has lost its way. It is focused on money above everything. They have unfortunately become ivory tower that puts administration above the kids in care. Over the past 5 years company has employed increasingly more and more people who have never and no idea of how to work with young people and what is really needed. Sadly it is an organisation that is full of bullying that starts from the top and is encouraged at every level of management. There is a total disregard to the right if staff. They have a system of calculating hours that required staff to work 45.5 hrs and only get paid for 38.

Cons

Long hours - haveing to work 45.5 hrs per week and being paid for only 38; Bullying culture

Traumatising not only by the young people

Management are untrustworthy and think they are entitled to work/life balance but have no problem calling you on your day off. They promote people who step on others to get to management positions with little to no qualifications or morals especially the FNQ area manager. Depending what area you are in the culture varies. Sydney seems to have one of the best areas to work in and managers are approachable and understanding. Hours bank is a joke too.

Pros

Money is alright

Cons

Disrespectful towards highly qualified experienced staff

Avoid at all cost

This work place is very unprofessional.please don’t risk your career at this place and avoid at all cost. They hire for culture fit and lacks business fundamentals. No clarity on objectives or deliverables.Unrealistic expectation. Bully starts within the team from day one and management level either ignored it or played a part of it.

Pros

Cons

Unprofessional / toxic working environment. Low morale.

Questionable culture and workplace

Good training in the beginning and challenging situations that you learn in your role. However the culture is toxic and politicking is rife. If you progress up the ladder to become a CM, you must serve your penatence as a Youth worker 3. It does not matter how professional you carry out your role or build strong relationships, if arent in that management click you will never progress up the ladder. If you are a aspiring Youth worker.. this is a foot in the door opportunity for 6 months to a year then move on to a Government role. Youth workers compete for the affection of their youths and yes they can get jealous and try to sabotage your relationship with your young person if you have a strong rapport, its akin to a child custody battle with your ex-wife or husband. Beware of this organization, and trust no one.

Pros

Autonomy

Cons

Shortchange payment for Youth workers

Great Team Environment, Support from Management

The most enjoyable part of the job is the united and supportive approach from the management team. Any Youth Worker job can be challenging at times but the support from the team makes an incredible difference that makes you want to keep going back.

Great Working Environment to Develop Youth Worker Skills

Great place to work and develop skills as a youth worker in a residential care setting, with the added benefit of supportive teams and supportive leadership structure. The cost of the Cert IV requirement is covered if this qualification is needed, which is an excellent bonus.

Pros

This company offers a great induction program, the opportunity to really implement and solidify your skills as a youth worker, and supports career development. Good work life balance.

Cons

The position is a shift work position, so it's important to be able to commit to this type of work if looking at this job.

Supportive and passionate workplace

Great team to work with, always supportive and willing to help out. Always opportunities to learn and develop. Fulfilling and rewarding role with new challenges and no day the same.

Pros

Extra support available, More days off, above award wages + benefits

Cons

Long hours, can be stressful at times

Terrible

Worst job i have ever had. Management are appalling. Not supportive in the slightest. Work against you not with you. Only care about money not about the young people. Worst company ever!

Challenging and rewarding place to work

In this organisation you are working with some of the most trauma affected children and young people that are in the care of the Department. While some of them will lash out at times it is rewarding to get the 'little wins' like having a young person brush their teeth every day and to see the transition of them is what is most rewarding.The shifts can sometimes feel long but that is also what gives the work life balance. I like that most weeks I only work 2 or 3 days and that gives me time to spend with my family and do the things that I love. I can even choose to work a few extra shifts to build up my hours and have an extra week off and still get paid.They paid for my Cert IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention which I need. No other employer pays for this.Whenever you have a bad shift there is always support available either internally or externally.If anyone wants to get into youth work this is a great organisation to get your start.

Pros

Paid Cert IV, great work life balance and salary

Supportive and understanding of individual workers needa

Safe Places is a wonderful and friendly place to work. When on the floor I was always able to work around my kids school excursions and sports days and adjust my roster to fit in Dr.s appointments. The hardest part of the job is walking away at the end of the day, however Safe Places has a 3 step support system to assist staff in this.

Pros

Hours bank to ensure work life balance. Training and team building days are always catered.

underpaid and no support

Safe places have the best inductions of any of the Residential organisations I worked for, however, that's where it stops. The shift components need to be restructured. only allowing for 24hr or 48hr shifts causes the large amount of burnout of staff. The pay is also the lowest I have been paid, $24/hr is low for day rate, yet alone night rate. If safe places offered better salary, little more support for staff when they are on shift and offering split shifts, they wouldn't be the worst place to work for.

Worst place i have ever worked. Unsafe, violent and aggressive

The company is full of promises at the induction, but that is where it ends. No support on the floor. Staff being violently abused and assaulted and it all gets covered up. Do not come to this company. Most staff only stay for two or three months. some even less. Shocking staff turn over. Management do not have proper qualifications. Little self written certificates to make them seem like they have uni degrees but they dont. It is a sham and a shame that the kids have to be subjected to this. Absolutely NO support. People in Australia are getting wise to them so they recruit from NZ or overseas. Big expenses which you have to cover. NO NO NO dont come here.

Highly rewarding and always learning!

I was employed as a Youth Worker, started with incredible training and studying benefits (Cert IV paid for by the company). I worked with highly vulnerable children and learnt strategies to improve their livelihood and coping skills. It was hard work, but rewarding, not for everyone but truly a passionate team to work with in the advancement of children in our communities.

Pros

Paid Study Opportunites, Team work.

Great place to work!

Great work culture, gutted I left to be honest! Everyone started from the bottom and worked their way up so everyone always had a good understanding of what you were doing. Constant support all around you, what more could you want?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Places for Children. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Safe Places for Children with

• Safe Places for Children
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?