Salmat

Salmat Employee Reviews

Australia274 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Ok

Its alright for a elderly person or a highschooler, they didnt pay as much as i expected and it doesnt support the living wage as everyone say,they are unstable to say the least

Do not do it. Collect cans instead

This place is below minimum wage the pay is penny's compared to the work. Honestly your better off collecting cans and bottles for the 10c refund honest.

Fun work place. I felt respected and part of the team.

A great company to work for. Lots of career advancement opportunities. Great bosses who respect the staff. Felt very included in the team and was always invited to after work functions, sports or activities. Felt I was valued and respected. The Company itself is respected and well known. I felt privileged to work here.

Pros

Corporate events, outings, social activities.

Great environment

This company has now changed to Ive. My experience was very fun place to work. Not too stressful, but dedicated to quality service and products. Good stable working hours.

Soul draining

Poor management and a clicky culture . The only good thing was the freebees from Coles.Pay was ridiculous compared to the work that was expected.The training was appalling

Proactive, fun work place

I loved working here. Management awesome, training great. OPPORTUNITIES to move up, A chance to meet lovely people, a chance to work for well known brands.

It's a fun and great place to start a career.

Salmat is a great place to begin a career, however if you are a new mum with an infant to care for, than Salmat is not the best option for you as most of its pay is based of commission so if you get sales there would be money in your bank, but your end of sacrifice will be, you won't get much time to spend with your baby and if you don't get sales, you won't get paid as they don't have any base hourly rate. So choose wisely when you put your application for employment forward.

Pros

Cons

If you cannot get any sales going at all, about 3 weeks in you will be terminated keep that in mind.

Poor

This job had its upsides and downsides. It got me out for quite a lot of exercise which was nice, and the hours were also flexible. With my area, we were given from Saturday Night until Thursday Morning to finish them. However, within weeks of starting this job I realised that it's not worth it AT ALL. The amount of hours spent folding were so long, as I've been doing it for a few months now, I have gotten quicker at it, but it's still so long. I worked it out, and I'm only making about $2.5 dollars per hour. Theres about 400 houses in my area, which isn't as much as I have heard otherhaving heaps more. The pay is very poor, I average around 25 bucks a week, but honestly it's not worth it. If I worked at McDonalds, I could easily make 25 bucks in 3 hours, rather than 8. Another thing I want to mention, when the delivery drivers drop the catalogues at your house, sometimes they give you way less catalogues then you need, so your getting paid more! They are quite slack, but extra money? Sure.I'm quitting this job soon, as I am only a High School Student, and the job is too demanding for my schedule. It leaves barely any time for homework.This is my personal experience of course, but I would definetly recommend giving it a go, because you can quit at any time.When I applied, I got an email the day later, so my area must have been in need of Distributors

Pros

Flexible hours, Exercise

Cons

Long hours, Poor pay, Bad Management, Very Slack

Good short-term, hard long-term.

I got a job working for Salmat (Deliver For Dollars) within a week, sign up was relatively easy but once you get catalogues delivered to your door you would have to fold them all so they can be all delivered at once. Some weeks it was only 5 catalogues, other weeks you would have to do upwards of 13 for around $50 (in my area at least, its different but still around the same price range.) Most of my mondays-wednesdays were completely taken up having to fold papers and deliver up to 300 houses, I quit this job for this exact reason, I was getting very underpaid for how committed I was to this job and when you're doing it all on your own it takes *really* long.You have to meet your quota, if you don't end up delivering papers after Wednesday night you'll get your pay taken and have excess stock laying around.Personally (and like most reviews here) you probably shouldn't work here, unless you want to do easy work every half of your week just for a measly $20-$60 each week with it varying whilst you're unemployed or if you want to lose weight. I did around 10km of walking in my neighbourhood each week which kept me out of the house losing a few KG's. Many jobs don't do that.In my experience management was fine but it's different in every area.I didn't enjoy this job at the end of the day and kept job hunting after I had saved enough money to do what I want.In total I made around $300 after 10 weeks of folding and delivering.

Pros

Keeps you fit

Cons

Very long hours, Underpayment, Stressful, Time Consuming, Physically/Mentally Challenging

Fast paced, repetitve work enviroment

I enjoyed working here as you were constantly doing differant tasks each day. Each call I answered come with its own problem which required resolution. We were assessed once a month on our customer service skills to ensure 100% customer service standards. It was a company which consisted of a range of differant people culturally and in age differance, so plenty of opportunities to mingle with work colleagues.

Pros

Everyone knows everyone sort of workspace.

Cons

A range of differant calls including, happy angry confused or mislead calls with a wide range of emotions, but that comes with any job

Unfair pay and extensive work for a simple job

This job required so much time spent folding papers together. That's what took all of the time, not even just actually delivering them. Stacks of newspapers and advertisements were dumped on your doorstep and from there you have a limited amount of time to fold all the papers and deliver them before the next round. On top of that, you were only receiving around $10 for one area.

Cons

time consuming, low pay, hard work, limited time

As a distributer Salmat were fine to work for

I've only ever been a distributer for Salmat and as long as you do your deliveries properly and on time there are no problems and if you are going to be late getting the pamphlets out, as long as you give them prior notice, they're fine with that, within reason.

Pros

Work @ your own pace

Cons

Have to work in the wet to meet deadlines

Long hours with little pay

Personally, I had a massive area compared to a lot of my friends who worked here and the size of the area definitely impacted my review. It would take me at least 4 or 5 hours to deliver all my catalogues because there were so many houses meaning that not all the catalogues fitted in the car or cart and I just had a lot of delivering to do. Sometimes my pay was up to $80 but that's as high as it got and don't even get me started on the sorting of the catalogues. Beforehand, you have to sort your catalogues into mini 'packages' otherwise it would take twice as long to deliver. This would take me another 4 hours with my parents' help. If you're looking for something to do over the school holidays because you have nothing else to do, I recommend but the job is physically demanding for not much pay.

Pros

Physical Exercise

Cons

Low pay+long hours

fun but not really worth it.

this is definitely not the job for you if you have a lot going on but i did enjoy my time working with salmat. i found it quite relaxing rolling the newspapers and it was great that they got delivered to your house so you didn’t have to pick them up yourselves. the part i didn’t like was the delivering. for one, it is almost impossible to do the deliveries without a car as you can only carry around 50 newspapers in one trolly and would have to do multiple trips from your house to the area you have been assigned. it also takes a long time alone. i was 12 when i started and had my mum help me with half which was better. i ended up quitting after only a couple of months because winter started and it was too cold and too wet. the pay is also not good at all. the pay differs on how big the area is because you get payed per newspaper/house. but it was relaxing rolling them and could also be relaxing delivering them if you had headphones and a car.

Cons

LONG hours

Don't do

I did it for a month and the amount of time and poor pay is not worth it. I would sometimes be given 12 catalogues to fold together. This would take ages to fold for 350 houses. The management was fine but the pay and labour required was not worth it. It's okay for the first week but then gets over the top when your constantly tied up with it and no time for anything else. If you have stuff on during the week do not do this. It took around 10 hours a week to finish all of the folding and delivering. And you only getting paid about $50.

Pros

if you have heaps of time on your hands

Cons

Labour Intensive, Under paid

Easy to-do job but hard sometimes

With management having most control whenever there is an issue you have to contact them. Sometimes this response can take a long time and therefore miss your allocated time to complete the contract

Was good

Was stressful to balance with school, and had no license at the time. Would be a good job for someone who wants to exercise as well as make money.....

Pros

In ur own time

Cons

Stressful

this was terrible, for a delivery i just did it took 2.5 hours to deliver and me by myself (13 years old) over 12 hours just to collate

this is not worth the the amount of work for the amount you get paid. I have just sent in a resignation letter already because it is basically slave labor and i had to get my parents involve and they had to spend there valuable time helping me when they had a business to run

Pros

There are no pros at all

Cons

underpaid, long hours, stressful

Ok for a first job

weekend shifts, but you has to make all the panflits yourself. took ages. the people weren't kind. i was sore from bending over 24/7 and from walking around a few blocks to deliver it every week.

Pros

Cons

all

Under paid

I averaged at $2.5 per hours as a 15 year old years ago. This is slave labour Should be reported to the Ato, praying on young kids that should have minimum wage from $11 per hour plus benefits

slow-paced

a typical day at work was, folding and organising the papers and preparing for deliveries. then delivering them to surrounding community. the managment was great, by boss was lovely

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salmat. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Salmat with

• Salmat
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?