Sanity Entertainment
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sanity Entertainment Employee Reviews

Australia77 reviews
In my time working at sanity my training was lacking from the start with the revolving door or people in charge let alone the in store training. I was burdened with my lack or training at every step, every shift my no training was to blame for me not excelling within the company.
I was forced to make mistakes and was reprimanded for them even when I was not my fault.

Other than that the atmosphere and friendliness of my coworkes was great, working with customers is always a challenge but i was supported and helped at every turn when working with another coworker
You're expected to greet and up-sell to every customer but you do end up having some nice conversations come out of it. If the store is quiet (on Sunday afternoons for example) you can get everything expected of you done without rushing but you might not make the budget but otherwise, you might have to stay behind half an hour (unpaid) to finish a couple of tasks.
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Tiring work
All the staff and management are wonderful! Such a great work environment. I would definitely recommend applying for a job at Sanity. And you get to listen to music while you work
Overall, it was a good workplace for me. Although a few downsides, always forgotten due to the cons. Learned a lot about the entertainment side of jobs.
The team was very welcoming at first, they knew how to ease you into your first day of work. I actually got extremely sick about 5 minutes before I started and was planning on sticking it out as my shift was only 3 hours however the manager said I looked sick and was sweating and asked if I wanted to go home. Reluctantly I said yes however she was very understanding which relaxed me a bit. In general, working at the store was stressful, I had to learn a lot of content extremely fast, there was no time for slack people and I didn't quite like the manager I worked most with. She was curt, rude, belittling and aggressive. Being the only junior worker, I was treated poorly and pushed around. Only 2 of the team were actually nice to me and understood that being the new girl was tough. The pay was pretty good however they have strict dress code rules and no exceptions. You even get in trouble for making a mistake on how you pick up the phone. I would recommend this job for fast learners and people aged over 16.
Every review about the ridiculous workload is true. A day would consist of essentially working by myself (with hours for extra help cut back and back) with a jobs list as long as my arm, with my area manager calling me to check up on sales, KPI's, how many jobs have been done etc constantly! And also expected to give 100% to customers (what you are actually there for! But you'll feel so stressed) It's just not possible to do and you'll have to either do a lot of extra unpaid hours or cop serious bullying and harassment from higher management.
It is so old fashioned, the computer/ registers are hard to use if you are new and trying to fin the discs wastes alot of time. Also I was on a hourly rate of $11 which honestly is no where near enough to live off
Part-time employment at Sanity has furthered my motivation and passion for retail. This job has required me to work on my own and to be responsible for opening and closing the store by myself. I’ve learned a lot about individuality and obligation as an employee and as a person.
Strong focus on KPI's and sales but you won't be overly penalised if you have a bad day. Managers and area managers are all very lovely never had any major issues.
After being there for many years I witnessed so much from terrible customer service, staff constantly being told by the store manager to go against higher managements orders, managers have no respect for customers or the staff members, there is constant bullying and bickering due to the limited shifts, the staff are incredibly unreliable and would rather gossip than help and in general its just an awful place to work.
The workload at Sanity is huge considering how inconsistent the hours are and how little you get paid. I was 19 and getting paid $16.80 an hour. I had to work all weekend, every weekend. I had no free time to hang out with friends or my family, who all work weekdays. Even when I would ask for some weekends free, or even just one of the 2 days, it would rarely happen.
You work your bum off with how unbelievably high their KPI expectations are, and you get no reward for doing so. All they do is expect bigger and better next time. There's no bonuses, no rewards, not even an occasional dinner.

The staff are about the only good thing about this job. Working with them all the time, you become basically family. It's such a happy environment to be in and you'll make some friends you'll have forever.

Management is gross. They show lots of favoritism and will rarely give a rats bum about you unless you suck up to them.

You also work 9 hour days and are entitled to ONE 30 minute break, that's UNPAID. They're very tight with their money, and very strict.
Pros
Make great friends, good job experience
Cons
Awful pay, hours and management
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with sanity, everyone is hardworking and always lovely. They are like a family and always help with anything and everything .
I lasted 2 months here. I had unrealistic expectations presented to me daily. Area manager was a bully and other staff were nasty and would talk behind everyone’s back. Harassment claims are not taken seriously. I was over worked and under paid.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
I worked for the Company for over 3 years. I was originally hired as the Assistant Manager and was only paid as a full time employee on paper work. Initially I really enjoyed the job but one of the State Managers was a bully our Area Manager was a bully who worked under and with him. And in turn hired a store Manager who also bullied about 5 Team members out of their jobs in the 1 year she worked for our store. HR couldn't get her out even though all Team members contionusly complained. After she left I stepped up and Managed the store while they found someone else for 8 months whilst still being paid as a full time employee. We smashed our kpis sitting at the top of the ladder most weeks. But our Area Manager use to favour our Manager even though she knew she was a bully she made us feel like we were overexagerating or manipulating the truth . So did the State Manager so we felt like there was no hope for us. When I resigned after my new job offer I did so through HR and gave x2 weeks notice. My Area Manager told my team I shouldn't have resigned through HR but instead through her and made me finish up on the same day not being allowed to say goodbye to my regulars or anything as to make it look like a dismissal. I wish someone from Sydney would have come to help us bit no-one did. I even emailed the owner of Sanity.
Pros
Returning Customers, Work collegues
Cons
Unpaid over time all the time.
I'm very lucky in the position I'm in where my team are like a family to me. I will see them outside of work and feel like we are personal friends. However, when asked to work in another store it can become very toxic. The work is hard for a retail job, I've been with the company for over three years and it has become progressively harder. Little to no advancement opportunities, although this hasn't affected me personally as I am a student. Only three hours a week are guaranteed, so if you're looking for a steady job this is not the place for you.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Inconsistency
Sanity is run off of manipulating people into buying things you know they don't want/need! Numerous times I was ridiculed for not selling a pop cd to an old man or not offering someone a deal when they clearly came for one thing and want to be in and out quickly. Management speak down to workers and expect them to be constantly on their feet but do not do so themselves. The pay was decent but not worth the experiences you have to deal with from you employers and managers.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Poor staff management, insufficient training, forced into shoving products down people's throats
I've worked here for three years, and I love it. They might be picky about who they hire originally, but it makes for a team that (mostly) get along and a friendly work environment.
The CEO, State Manager, Area Manager, and Store Managers are all wonderful and make an effort to get to know their staff. I've met them all, and from top to bottom they've been nothing but kind.

Sometimes there's a little pressure to make budgets and KPI's, but you can understand that when our main competitor is everything on the internet.

As a full time uni student, the understanding of what hours I can do is wonderful. It does leave me a little tired after a full day, but there is the option of telling them you can only do X days.

Annual leave builds up nicely as a part-time member, and my applications for it have never been declined.

We also have a lovely bunch of regular customers, and when you get to know them they are the highlight of the day.

Also, there's a crazy discount that makes gift giving and personal buying so much more affordable.
Pros
crazy discount, staff like family, lovely management
Cons
A little tiring at times
Worked at sanity for 8 years, started as a Xmas casual and ended up managing. It's a great place to work if you don't mind being bullied and harassed by upper management, crazy work expectations and almost impossible KPIs. Unhealthy culture and expectations by senior management, and no respect for staff at a store level by them. Discount is good but definitely not worth the stress that comes with it.
Pros
Good people at store level, discount
Cons
Pressure from upper managenent, bullying culture very strong, work expectations unrealistic
Bullying from area manager, store managers contract cut and they are demoted. Closing stores with no care for other team!
Area manager is an absolute joke dude do your job he is a sexist pig and treats women with such disrespect and discredits all the store managers in front of employees.

HR doesn’t wanna fix it this area of 3 stores is so broken and no one will fix it people quit like flies
Pros
Music to listen to
Cons
Everything is so bad
This Company does nothing but boss and push team to exceed insane expectations whilst only guaranteeing 3 hours a week, unless a manager, stand up to their demands and bullying or even have an opinion and expect to have your hours cut majorly and told your not what they are wanting.
HR is no help, supports the store manager and Area manager who has constantly had complaints of bullying and misconduct and nothing is done.

Don’t work here!
Pros
Cons
Everything nothing is good
Worked for the company for 2 and a half years, never had any problems until recently. Store Manager in my store is a sexist pig and bullies and belittles his staff and HR still couldn't get rid of him despite multiple complaints by not only team members, but customers as well.

My whole experience with the company wasn't horrible, I made it to assistant manager so if you're a hard worker they do promote within, however there is very little hours if you aren't in management available to go around so it's really only good for either a second job or if you're currently studying.
Pros
Got management experience and made some great friends.
Cons
Not many hours to give you enough help to get jobs completed on time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanity Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.