Save the Children
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Save the Children Employee Reviews

Australia37 reviews
I would certainly recommend this as first job as it taught many excellent retail skills of how to communicating with customers, stocking merchandise and working a register.
I had a good time working there. I learnt a lot about how to deal with customers and help them get what they need. I feel like with more training, I would have improved my skills.
Poor management specifically with the project where I was and lack of support from the HR to be able to respond to the issues. Manager is playing favorites, indecisive and also not focus on the work that should be done as manager.
It was a great playgroup and supportive set up but a lot of paper work and questionares in order to get the funding for it to be run. It was a bit stressful at times to set up and pack everything up, driving to and from places in the work van and not getting paid travel only to work 3 hours and go home for the day.
Key responsibilities- work in teams to sort out donations, price and sort clothing and deal with customer queries.

Key skills developed- communication amongst peers and collaborative teamwork, problem solving and quick decision making (when dealing with customers).
All good, very cooperative staff, especially volunteers are doing a great job without any payment. Most of the items sold here is secondhand and donated by the community leaders and generous people, who likes to save the children.
Creative and exciting organisation doing great work within the local community supporting children, young people and their families across the eastern suburbs and Western Sydney
Extremely Poor Management, unsupported of their staff and reliant upon and handed over their staff members to an external organisation for full management. Did not hear or listen to their staff and did not try to resolve the issues realistically rather supporting unrealistic comments from the external organisation.
I had no employment in Scarborough and the first thing I did was join a library and volunteer here. It helped with my sanity when I moved and I HIGHLY enjoyed working at the SCARBOROUGH branch. Wonderful team!!!!!!!!
Would love to work for them again in the near future. Excellent building, safe and cultural. Friendly work colleagues. Reasonable hours, very flexible. Helpful staffing. Loved work for STC on Gununa, just wish we could have had more camping on Country with the school kids. The beauty of working with a wonderful team was making my day more happy at going to work each morning
Nice team of motivating and operative team members. Provides nice benefits and work environment. It promotes advancement opportunity as well as flexible working environment.
Wonderful Organization to work for, it is very rewarding to know your working for a great cause..

Fantastic place to volunteer your time and get fantastic customer service experience and organizational skills 😃
Pros
Work the hours that suit you 😃
Cons
Nil
unpaid but good for experience, don't really know what else to say. good with delegating responsibility, i was 16 and learned about cash handling and got to deal with tough customers under the supervision of a more experienced worker.
As a volunteer I agree do to:

• Respect and abide by Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy and Code of Conduct

• Understand and accept the responsibilities and limits set out in the Save the Children Volunteer Rights and Responsibilities form

• Attend induction, and training as requested

• Work in a reliable manner within the job description provided and according to directions given by your supervisor
Pros
free morning tea
long days, bad jobs (e.g. just sorting stock ALL day), no pay, 30 minute lunch break but not allowed to leave premises unless going to the loo.

No thanks from any of the staff at the end of a shift
This role with really opened up my knowledge to the retail industry and gave me the passion and experience to pursue further employment within the industry. I learned the process of opening and closing the shop, confirming cash amounts at the beginning of the day and balancing the till at the end of the day. I learned how to price items, use a cash register and EFT machine as well as the system they use for their point of sale. I was given the opportunity to train new people when they joined our team as well as advance my existing customer service skills and it was a very fulfilling role with multiple tasks to complete each shift. It was a very friendly environment, almost like creating a family within the team and interacting with other volunteers and customers as well as merchandising and making the store look appealing were definitely one of the most enjoyable parts of my job whilst volunteering there.
Now with new management it is an amazing friendly place to work in, well managed & extremely rewarding.
The most enjoyable part is seeing that our youth have an enjoyable day
Everyone working at save the children are equal and the most important thing I like about save the children is their hot desk system where you can work with any department as per required.
Amazing charity doing amazing things and I loved working there so much, only issue was management and lack of help from them including training and helping us to stay safe, they would say you don't have to work on your own if you don't feel comfortable but if I didn't the store wouldn't open.
I had to leave because my health was starting to suffer from the stress and how hard I was working, I was a volunteer so I didn't get paid which I didn't care about until I realised I needed to look after myself as well and pulling back hours was not an option for me.

I love Save The Children, I just wish I had a little more support from management.
Pros
So many
Cons
So many
The workers at STC were ethical and compliant in their work environment and ensured each child's needs were attended to and there were an adequate amount of activities that explored each child's interests. At work placement we would acknowledge the rightful custodians of the land before we would commence our sessions and would start it off with a session with a game of soccer or touch football where workers, mentors and clients would participate. Our focus was creating activities that met the client's needs as well as addressing environmental disadvantage. The most enjoyable part of being a mentor was learning and seeing the client's achieve personal goals.
Pros
Personal developement
Cons
not enough hours
Fantastic organisation to be a part of. Friendly and supportive colleagues and Team Leaders. Save The Children offers staff every opportunity to grow personally and professionally.I thoroughly enjoy being a valued staff member of this organisation.
Pros
Free Training oppportunities.
Cons
Limited hours for work due to lack of funding.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save the Children. Our community is ready to answer.