Schlumberger

Australia32 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,493 reviews

Great peoplto work with

Offshore rigsWorkshops Clients officesVarious job Promotion opportunitiesCooperative colleguesSegments cross trainGreat learning programChances to work in different countries

Not now

Job is great, enjoying working in a friendly environment. Learning new skills and a lot of team work from the boys. Lots of opportunities for further studies all over the world.

Pros

free pizza sometimes

Cons

Long hours when busy

Productive fast pace engineering and sales company

I was lucky to work a 3/2 roster in different locations around Australia and New Zealand and international. Schlumberger is the best service company in the oil industry and is great to work with. Technology is awesome and has great engineers to work with.

Not a good work environment

My review of Schlumberger is quite negative as so many of the people who work at Schlumberger are extremely rude and have no idea of working as team also severe lack of communication makes working under them difficult. In saying that the SBS team are a great bunch of people and I've enjoyed our small team in saying that though there's no advancement no real work culture as team building outside of work, way to many chiefs. Over all my experience has been a massive let down unfortunately.

Productive high tech

Working for Schlumbeger, you know you are with a top notch company with the best technology in the business. They take pride in their products and support in the field is excellent

Maintenance/Electrician

I enjoyed working with Schlumberger Nigeria, they still remain the best in safety, they made me know how important I am in my field of job at all time

Overall I am really happy with the company I am working with.

Every day is busy day from morning meeting to till end of the shift. I have learn so many things related to Maintenance,Servicing,Repairing faulty findings & Troubleshooting. The most important thing was HSE. The Hardest part of the job is short notice tool requirements and deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job is there always something new to learn to develop the skills.

Cons

Most of the time I have to work long overs.

Work work work

my experience in oil and gas was good Not much of a family life outside of work due to working all the time Good group of guys in my section to work with

Pros

Good work mates

Cons

Long hours, no family time

Hard-working, productive, well established company

At schlumberger I learnt how to manage people and solve problems. A typical day is spent in the outback of Australia, in hot, summer conditions, driving a 4WD in the desert and doing physical, constant work outside. The hardest part of the job was being away from home for 6 weeks at a time. The most enjoyable part was having fun with the crew if you had a good crew out there.

Pros

Extremely well paid

Cons

6 week hitches with only 2-3 weeks off

I was good at it

I was writing letters and faxes to subcontractors to tell them we had inspected their containers. and it was safe to travel. When there was a default they had to do it again in a delay. It was a technical job and I had to file and scan documents for a different Service.send emails as well. The most important part of the job was a data entry in Excel and Beam softwares for Mining companies.

Pros

enjoyed working for Schlumberger

Cons

I didn't have my own computer and had to share with supervisor

Possibility to develop and grow. All depends on your peprformance. Mostly good people around. Different locations worldwide within career. Schools and constant development.

Good place to work with lots of training

great place to work. nice work ethics and employee benefits were very good. some times no very well organized and lack of job planning. very good for training personnel.

Best service provider company

Schlumberger is the perfect company to build a technical career with expertise in any area you are interested in. We have access, facilities and sufficient material to learn as much as we can as long as the employee has the attitude to always improve the personal knowledge. Schlumberger have an excellent career path according to the needs of every employee, and have always the chances to move from technical to administrative paths if desired.

Primary service company globally, and it shows

Schlumberger expect a lot from employees and offer some of the best training available as compensation. However as a result, work-life-balance can suffer.

Pros

training and development

Cons

long hours, erratic schedules

interesting company to consult for

result driven culture busy fast paced very intense .No nonsense full on business orientated management High quality high stand of output expected/ demanded

Pros

high standardcexpected

Cons

No bludgers tolerated

Good pay and training as comparsion to other market players

My most recent position was with Schlumberger and I was in charge for daily operations of fieldwork activities to ensure engineering jobs are performed safely and efficiently, within required timelines and client specifications. Wonderful benefits that Schlumberger offered such as diversified, continuous educational training in all areas, great environment,

Pros

Good benefits (medical, paid holiday, equity etc)

Cons

Terrible work life balance as a field engineer

Good place to learn & grow faster & challenge yourself

Employee turn over is high as per industry requirement & work situation. Good training & learning opportunities. Good management & HSEQ culture. High expectations & performance monitoring. Good tools & technology with reliability & troubleshooting & learning culture.

Pros

Fast paced career progression enviornment

Cons

low employee retention

Excellent career progression, packages and training at a price

A typical day would be up at 0430 hrs and have permits, toolbox meetings, shift changeover, shower and breakfast and ready to work by 0600 hrs. 0900 hrs would be 15 min break, 1200 hrs 30 minute lunch break, 1500 hrs 15 min break and 1800 hrs would be shift change. Before bed paperwork, permits, dinner, clean up, responding to any emails that came during the day, touch base with management would have to be completed and then the shift/routine repeats itself until job is complete. My work pattern towards the end of my employment was 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off, 7 days a week, 24/7. Things I learnt was time management, liaising with the client in a professional manner, importance of current up to date paperwork (always keep on top of it and never let it go a few days unchecked/updated), how to handle confrontations and workload pressure, sharing my knowledge with new intakes freely and guiding them through the learning/training process of the company and handling any issues they may have come across. There's a lot of red tape in management and restraints. Management is always under pressure from above which is fed down the chain. Co-workers and the guys you work with in the field (banter) is second to none. All are there for each other, buddy system, look out for one another. Also their level of expertise/knowledge and skills again, are second to none and the best in the industry. You either know your stuff or your don't ( no one tends to last long if they don't know their stuff). Hardest part in 10 years was always being away, harsh working environments, working alone -

Pros

Top notch training, Health care, Super, Shares save scheme, variety, excellent food, travel

Cons

12 to 16 hour days, family and social sacrifice, isolation, loneliness

Productive and friendly workplace because of the good atmosphere between the coleague

At Schlumberger I had the opportunity to performance and to prove my skills.I learned to communiate with different clients and to lead groups Leadership people and time management obtained by leading a groupe of more than 15 employees . Schlumberger is the best compagnie that I learn new technology and in Schlumberger the safety is the first

hard working but well done

Maintenance and installation of mechanical systems We tried every time to improve the quality of our services In addition we made a training in the installation of machines clc which will be used elsewhere of our local

Amazing platform to grow

Broad platform to learn and grow on wide range of technological fields. Exposure to wide range of technological applications and opportunity to learn working with diverse workmen.

Pros

Huge learning exposure

Cons

Work-life balance poor, lack of management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlumberger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Schlumberger with

Learn about Schlumberger in popular locations

• Schlumberger
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?