Serco
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Serco Employee Reviews

Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
My Typical day was repetitive cleaning, I learnt about chemical handling, colour coding, management was awesome, you could joke and have a laugh with them, workplace culture was very diverse the hardest part was the heavy lifting and on my feet all day the best part was the hours and all the friends I made along the way.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On My Feet All Day
I've been at Serco for nearly two years and to be honest its the friends that i've made there that makes it easier to come into work. Serco can be a very stressful work environment and having just one 30 minute break and two 10 minute breaks is not enough to unplug from the phones. If you are over your break by even 3 minutes you get reprimanded by your team leader. As part of our role we are dealing with the most vulnerable people in society for such little pay. We often get abused by these customers and we need more of a support system from management. We don't need to be told off for being 3 minutes late. Pick your battles. Be grateful you have smart, considerate staff on your team. If you really need a job its money in the bank. But please save that money and do something more fulfilling with your life. Not a job for life but one for the moment. Good luck.
Pros
Free food, fun days
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, stressful environment
You are Working long hours for the minimal wage. There are so many expectations and KPIs that the team leaders wants us to meet . The pay doesn't match thier expectations . It's a mentally stressful and exhausting job. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It really isn't worth your mental health . It only gets worse
Cons
Long hours, no support, low wage
You can feel part of a productive team.You have opportunity to help those in need and at risk.You have opportunity to work with caring people and form a bond.The management are often not attuned to the work on the ground and often make decisions without informing you which goes against a collaborative approach.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
lack of connection with other departments
Double standards wrong people in the job as supervisors who have no idea what they are doing the training is flawed security what a joke loyal staff you must be joking management look after themselves if you have experience and knowledge dont bother telling anyone they just ignore you
Serco talk constantly about engagement and values and expect you to follow the rules yet management do as they please. Top management in the centre is run by a click. If you have an issue with one you then become a target by all of them. CSR are bullied into meeting kpi or are placed on " performance plans" if no improvement they take you to a meeting. Great trainer who is not given adequate time to train an extremely stressful product. Pay rate for what you do is garbage and way under what other call centers pay. Do yourself a favour and dont work there.Toxic workplace toxic company and poor management.
Pros
With every pro there is a catch. Not worth it
Cons
Poor pay bad management high pressure to perform
Competitive atmosphere - competing with others to meet KPI's through games and everyday activities. Stressful meeting KPI's as some of them are unachievable. Serco is diverse and accepting and you'll meet people from diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Long hours; pay average; stress of meeting unachievable KPI'
This company’s code is “TRUST CARE INNOVATION AND PRIDE” and from my experience they DO NOT practice what they preach. Worse place I’m ever worked and it starts from management. BULLYING is big in this company. Pay rate is pathetic. Really think before you take a job there.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
12 hour shifts and 90% of the time you eat your lunch on post
The recruitment process is horrible! I was recruited from England They wanted me to come during levels 4 COVD but by the way over the phone they have said you are ready for the offer , I came after couple of months and telling me you have to do the whole process again???? I said no!! They have no integrity!!!! They need to rehabilitation themselves before they rehabilitate prisoners!!! The whole recruitment was joke😂 right hand doesn’t know what the left hand I’d doing. Likely I work now for Department of Corrections directly with a good pay !! Not with this unprofessional people!!!!
Pros
Some stuff are polite
Cons
No integrity
I started working at Serco right at the start of Covid, it was a hectic time, but the training was thorough and my trainer was super lovely and understanding. We were trained for about a month and then were put on the floor in consolidation for a month and then we were put into our teams. The only downfall is that it is a very fast paced environment and processes can change by the second, so when they say OB is your best friend, it really is. I have made great friendships whilst working here, we have recently gotten a new centre manager and he has been fantastic! The ops managers were all fired for going against the covid safe plan and honestly thank god, they were all horrible. But the environment has changed so much in the short time I have been here.
Pros
Social aspect
Cons
Long hours for minimum wage.
Out of the 7 jobs I’ve had this one was by far worst, the expectations are ridiculous, the office is disgusting and I couldn’t even get a half day to go to the doctors when I needed to
I am a contractor on the DOL Apprenticeship Pilot. GREAT Program. Great People!! There is a lot of time and effort that goes into this program and when COVID hit it put a wrench in the system. But switching everything online and remote was an adjustment but thanks to Serco we were able to manage.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
This is a typical call centre environment with your every minute of the work day monitored. The work itself is not so bad, lots to learn at first but once on the phones it gets easier. The biggest problems are the low pay and the fact that there is only very limited parking near the building so you need to either get in early, take public transport, or have a 15-20 minute walk to the closest parking.
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, lack of access
Don't work there if you value your integrity and mental health. Serco will suck the life out of you. What they offer is a dream. The experience however is likened to your worst nightmare. The culture is toxic. Staff Safety is non existent. If you speak up you will find a target on your back. The prison lacks processes and procedures. Management don't know what they are doing. You are expected to work unreasonable amounts of overtime and then find they don't pay you for it. Serco is running the prison blind and not following legislation. Staff turnover is high. Serco lies during the recruitment process
Pros
Getting out of there!
Cons
Safety is non existent
I enjoyed working at Seco.You were always on the go. The people were nice. Management were good. The pay was okay. The recognition was good.I just wasn't fast enough on calls so my AHT was the lowest in my team. Never the less, I enjoyed many aspects and learnt a lot.
If you have some dignity and self respect do not work for serco, Team Leaders who gossip backstab useless have no idea what they are doing only interested in their group smoking sessions. Absolutely no support from management , if you suck up to certain people you can get promoted . Disgusting behavior everyone seems to be sleeping with everyone , team leaders bullying and constantly threatening agents .. would not recommend this place .
Cons
I am a former employee of Serco I only lasted 5 weeks I found the whole process ridiculous and unsatisfactory no one is prepared for the reality of the job. Snippets of information cobbled together to give you a background for helping the vulnerable in society what a joke. The enormity of the job was overwhelming whilst you are on the phones with no idea of how to help anyone.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
The job itself
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work at Serco Mill park even if it was my worst enemy! I’ll start off by saying when you first interview for the job you will feel like it’s a nice place to work at because the managers are nothing but fake to you but as soon as you start working there you’ll regret it. Serco has actually made me feel depressed at stages, they do not help at all with shifts you can’t attend because of something more important or if you only want to work a couple days a week or anything - everything to them is complicated. Secondly the managers and team leaders there are horrible like I cannot describe it enough, once they are promoted everything gets to their head. Everyone who is a customer service officer that isn’t higher up basically gets treated like they are nothing. Don’t get me started with the big bosses/ ops managers - BIGGEST BULLIES. Who would’ve thought someone of a mature age would go out of their way to bully you, walk around you, watch you at work, follow everything you do to intimidate you and go out of their way to get you in trouble. I for one can say I can stick up for myself I mean at least I think I can but! If you can’t! You will hate your life, they treat you like you’re dumb and like you’re a nobody , they bully their workers, everyone at serco talks behind eachothers backs - it’s as if you’re in school. The pay isn’t the best, during covid time we weren’t aloud to wear masks and got told off infront of the workplace if we would wear a mask, sometimes you don’t get pulled aside for a talk or if a manager wants to tell you off they will - more...
Pros
Cons
The pay, management are bullies, you get treated like you’re lower than any management that’s above you, everyone talks bad about eachother, it’s like you’re in highschool, complaints don’t go no where because all the supervisors have eachothers backs, it’s like high school all over again
does not care about staff. would rather overdose on heroin than ever set foot in that company again. management were not qualified, job culture is garbage. guess i only trialled here because garbage can, not garbage cannot, but in this case the garbage cannot. confined to minimum breaks and at one point i fainted in the bathroom because my sugar was so low because I was stuck in a call and wasn't allowed to have someone else take over the call so I could eat something. management bullied staff over petty small things, etc needing to use the bathroom more than once. taking one second more on a break etc. management gaslight, bullied and abused staff. If I wanted that, I'd move back to my parent's house. Working there was like a bad comedown that occurred on a 9-5 daily basis.
Cons
soul sucking
Serco Essendon is very claustrophobic. Paying $20-23 to work in a very a stressful environment. You are only allowed 2 of 10 mins break - like seriously ? You have to sit at your desk unless you are on your break and you can't turn around or talk to the people around you as someone may see your screen etc. 30 minutes of lunch break. You need to logout not at 5pm, you logout at 05.06pm. You can't eat your desk You can't bring any nibbles You can't keep a notepad and a pen You can't talk to the person sitting next to you unless you lock your screen You can't keep your phones - so if it's an emergency, your kids or family will need a call a Sick hotline to get hold of you. You can't keep phones in your pockets either. You have to switch your phone off - it shouldn't be silent ZERO flexibility- as the most of the companies brag about flexibility, this company doesn't even know what that is. You can't change your shift, there are no flexible hours, obviously, you can't work from home. In 10 mins of break you can hardly get a coffee, in 30 mins lunch break you would be so tired and drained. I felt that I was cut-of from the outside world between 9-5pm, can't check my emails, can't call my family embers because there is no time. Unless, you like to drain your energy for this low pay, a very poor working environment, I would never recommend this workplace. They seriously need a lot of improvements in terms of their work culture, pays, flexibility, better breaks system etc.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
claustrophobic, no flexibility, a lot of "NOs"
great training, good place of work,diverse,good people and managers. relaxed but fair workplace would recommend those wanting inbound call centre experience
  1. Employee Reviews