Serco Employee Reviews

Found 175 reviews matching the search See all 3,260 reviews
Workplace culture absolutely disgusting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Not telling14 November 2018
Where in ANY work place are you encouraged to dob in your workmates, and what does that say about the culture of this employer.
Management are PHAT and lazy, not interested in the staff on the front line doing all the hard work and suffering from the stress of the phone calls.
Blatant favouritism for long term employees and micro management of staff, back stabbing and gossiping on the floor, floor walkers who have NO idea of answers to questions put to them, acting team leaders who are too young to have any leadership skills but yet have inflated ego's.
Serco certainly need to be released from their obligations to the Tax Office as they are being paid for 8-12 weeks training and only giving 2 to their employees which is completely inefficient, operatives are being sent out to answer important phone calls from the public without enough knowledge about the tax system and what information is in the scripting is not always adequate for the calls being received.
Constantly drummed into you to use the scripting but then when you have to absolutely think outside the box you are reprimanded for it.
Team Leaders for some reason think they are doing quite an important job but in reality, they are working in a call centre.....
New contracts are being handled ineffectively, training is inadequate again for the contracts being gained from the Tax Office by Serco, one contract had one days training, and when advised to use specialists, there were none, because it was a new contract.
The Tax Office need to rethink their contracts and maybe realign with a new fresh Australian company
  more... as Serco have become lazy and complacent especially with the training.
You are better off working for the Tax Office and being paid the money that is more relevant to the job you're actually doing.
Rostered breaks are ridiculously short for the stress involved in the job, but its all about pumping the phone calls through not really the wellbeing of the staff even though the management "speak" all the right words, there is really no duty of care behind them.
Would have to be one of the worst experiences of my life, will never return to a call centre environment and would hope that others would forego what will be a harrowing experience also.
Simply don't apply, save yourself the harrowing stressful experience.
Most operatives don't even make it through the training, as it simply is too overwhelming to comprehend in a short two week stint and then once put on the phones a lot leave after the first day.
Serco don't care they profit from that and simply release all casuals and start all over again and if you're a member of the general public reading this, make sure you ask the operative how long they have been working in the call centre, if its less than 3 months, ask for another operative, cause for sure they will have NO idea as to what you're asking about and will be fumbling in the dark to find the answer for you.
Pros
learning about the tax system
Cons
everything about a call centre run by Serco
Fantastic position
Roadhouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Boambee NSW15 September 2018
Working in a roadhouse doing over night shifts was nice slow paced position doing all the end of day cleaning and serving mostly truck drivers.
Great co workers and management
very clicky place to work.
Detainee Services Officer (CSO) (Former Employee) –  Brisbne5 September 2018
Serco has a very poor work/life as there is no room for advancement due to skills level. All advancements are given on the basis of who you know and not what you know. The organisation runs on a military basis and correctional management. Most of the upper management is made up of ex prison officers who are mates with the management team.
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
12 hr shifts
Excellent team members to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VARSITYN lAKES QLD23 August 2018
I enjoy helping the customers and assisting with any enquiries they may have, I enjoy doing different jobs that may be required of me. I enjoy the culture of the company
Friendly workplace.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC7 August 2018
Everyone working here was very friendly and approachable even if they were from different departments. While the work could be difficult at times, it was a good experience overall.
Inadequate support once traininig is over.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Box Hill5 August 2018
Some management were extremely helpful but for the most part you were left with little support on calls despite strenuous micromanagement. Scripting required to follow often did not cover queries being received. As a result was often left flying blind without anyone to ask for assistance.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Almost everything else.
Good work environment
Cleaner - Full time (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 July 2018
work includes cleaning and removing of graffities, cleaning around all the parks in the city for the city of Melbourne, cleaning of pavilions, and helping homeless people with supplies
Fun and energetic company to work for
Cleaner - Wagga Wagga RAAF Base (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW20 July 2018
Always had a laugh and enjoyed working with the cleaning team. Very productive but had fun at the same time. Management were very friendly and training was great.
Productive and a fun workplace
Domestic Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy NSW15 June 2018
My Typical day was repetitive cleaning, I learnt about chemical handling, colour coding, management was awesome, you could joke and have a laugh with them, workplace culture was very diverse the hardest part was the heavy lifting and on my feet all day the best part was the hours and all the friends I made along the way.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On My Feet All Day
horrible
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enoggera QLD10 June 2018
easily the worst experience I have had in the work force. I have learnt that performance equals punishment and the toxic culture and back stabbing environment is disgusting.
Pros
Cons
too many - do not apply to work here
Serco
Transport and Escort Officer / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Christmas Island WA30 May 2018
Not a bad company to work for. I have been with SERCO for about three years working both detention and courts. Need to look for employment in Australia which I think a new company will be good.
Ordinary job without any real career progression
Customer Service and Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC29 May 2018
A typical day at work is to answer inquiries about tax for Business and Individual clients. This would include over the phone and email inquiries.

I have learned how the Australian Taxation Office cheats its employees by hiring outsourced labour for the fraction of the cost it would take for them to do this themselves. A fully trained ATO employee would be expected payment of $35.00 per hour. Working for this outsourced centre, doing exactly the same type of job and as a full time employee, you will be paid $21.00 per hour which is just above the minimum wage expected for a call centre employee.

Management tend to only concentrate on results and care very little about individuals. During award negotiations, Management used scare tactics to negotiate a wage solution which benefited themselves greatly.

Workplace culture is highly negative. Apart from seeing fellow employees during work hours, there was little interaction outside office hours. There have been efforts to organise a time and place to see other employees outside these hours but there was little enthusiam from employers and employees to continue these plans.

The hardest part of this job is to remain motivated doing repetitive work. The breaks were not that long; only 10 minutes break for the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute lunch break.

The most enjoyable are the team meetings which you would have an hour to run through details of the work. It also means an hour off the phones which was highly beneficial.
Challenging, Productive and Demanding with a professional atmosphere.
Customer Service & Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC6 May 2018
A very busy & fast paced environment with a new challenge in every single call. Help was available by coaches & floor walkers but it was too demanding.
Pros
Colleagues were friendly
Cons
Rosters are timed without consideration.
Ability to grow
Security coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT29 April 2018
There is always something that you don't like about a job or an employer, but overall Serco was a employer that allowed the work force to grown and more up the ladder. I learnt a lot while employed there for 3 years. Moving from security guard to coordinator. Which allowed me to use my qualifications from other jobs before hand. There was people around and team support along with job security.
Good company but bad management
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 April 2018
I used to work with these guys in the Melbourne CBD. The management was terrible. Their office is like a primary school. Drama, lies, secrets, plots to fire people and so on. The job it's self was really good but that's about it. I have never worked somewhere so pathetic in my life.
Pros
Experience in gardening
Cons
Everything else esp management
Great Company for Training and advancement
Client Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Christmas Island WA20 April 2018
Serco was a great company to work for really enjoyed my time on Christmas Island and Derby. Opened my eyes to other cultures and learned a lot about dealing with people for all over the world.
Pros
Great for increasing knowledge and very good training
Cons
away from loved ones
Good job, poor job security
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC17 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Serco for the period, lots of opportunities to increase skills but unfortunately not much security. The managers were personable and other staff were friendly.
Pros
Good staff and working conditions
Cons
Job security
Do not work for Serco
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Bendigo VIC16 April 2018
The management treat you like fodder. The team leaders act like overseers and advancement opportunities are non existent if you're not one of the favoured few or related in some way to management.
Worker attrition is appalling and still management never bother with exit interviews.
Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Some really great workmates.
Cons
Pay, worklife balance, working hours, horrid leadership, poor working conditions
team environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  townsvile5 April 2018
Team work was the key word and team work is what we strived for, fantastic work mates and management.
Helping the Defence members was a position I enjoyed and excelled in
Pros
good team ethics
Cons
lost contract
I will never work for servo EVER again!
Tailor (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW25 March 2018
Terrible company to work for. They support bullying if the bully has worked there longer than you or if they are related to management!

I loved my job but sadly hated being abused and threatened by another staff and my manager ignoring the situation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K