Serco Employee Reviews

Productive and a fun workplace
Domestic Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy NSW15 June 2018
My Typical day was repetitive cleaning, I learnt about chemical handling, colour coding, management was awesome, you could joke and have a laugh with them, workplace culture was very diverse the hardest part was the heavy lifting and on my feet all day the best part was the hours and all the friends I made along the way.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On My Feet All Day
horrible
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enoggera QLD10 June 2018
easily the worst experience I have had in the work force. I have learnt that performance equals punishment and the toxic culture and back stabbing environment is disgusting.
Pros
Cons
too many - do not apply to work here
Serco
Transport and Escort Officer / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Christmas Island WA30 May 2018
Not a bad company to work for. I have been with SERCO for about three years working both detention and courts. Need to look for employment in Australia which I think a new company will be good.
Ordinary job without any real career progression
Customer Service and Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC29 May 2018
A typical day at work is to answer inquiries about tax for Business and Individual clients. This would include over the phone and email inquiries.

I have learned how the Australian Taxation Office cheats its employees by hiring outsourced labour for the fraction of the cost it would take for them to do this themselves. A fully trained ATO employee would be expected payment of $35.00 per hour. Working for this outsourced centre, doing exactly the same type of job and as a full time employee, you will be paid $21.00 per hour which is just above the minimum wage expected for a call centre employee.

Management tend to only concentrate on results and care very little about individuals. During award negotiations, Management used scare tactics to negotiate a wage solution which benefited themselves greatly.

Workplace culture is highly negative. Apart from seeing fellow employees during work hours, there was little interaction outside office hours. There have been efforts to organise a time and place to see other employees outside these hours but there was little enthusiam from employers and employees to continue these plans.

The hardest part of this job is to remain motivated doing repetitive work. The breaks were not that long; only 10 minutes break for the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute lunch break.

The most enjoyable are the team meetings which you would have an hour to run through details of the work. It also means an hour off the phones which was highly beneficial.
Ability to grow
Security coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT29 April 2018
There is always something that you don't like about a job or an employer, but overall Serco was a employer that allowed the work force to grown and more up the ladder. I learnt a lot while employed there for 3 years. Moving from security guard to coordinator. Which allowed me to use my qualifications from other jobs before hand. There was people around and team support along with job security.
Good company but bad management
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 April 2018
I used to work with these guys in the Melbourne CBD. The management was terrible. Their office is like a primary school. Drama, lies, secrets, plots to fire people and so on. The job it's self was really good but that's about it. I have never worked somewhere so pathetic in my life.
Pros
Experience in gardening
Cons
Everything else esp management
Great Company for Training and advancement
Client Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Christmas Island WA20 April 2018
Serco was a great company to work for really enjoyed my time on Christmas Island and Derby. Opened my eyes to other cultures and learned a lot about dealing with people for all over the world.
Pros
Great for increasing knowledge and very good training
Cons
away from loved ones
Good job, poor job security
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC17 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Serco for the period, lots of opportunities to increase skills but unfortunately not much security. The managers were personable and other staff were friendly.
Pros
Good staff and working conditions
Cons
Job security
Do not work for Serco
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Bendigo VIC16 April 2018
The management treat you like fodder. The team leaders act like overseers and advancement opportunities are non existent if you're not one of the favoured few or related in some way to management.
Worker attrition is appalling and still management never bother with exit interviews.
Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Some really great workmates.
Cons
Pay, worklife balance, working hours, horrid leadership, poor working conditions
team environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  townsvile5 April 2018
Team work was the key word and team work is what we strived for, fantastic work mates and management.
Helping the Defence members was a position I enjoyed and excelled in
Pros
good team ethics
Cons
lost contract
I will never work for servo EVER again!
Tailor (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW25 March 2018
Terrible company to work for. They support bullying if the bully has worked there longer than you or if they are related to management!

I loved my job but sadly hated being abused and threatened by another staff and my manager ignoring the situation.
Best place ever to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 March 2018
Acacia prison is one of the best places I have ever worked.....I can't speak highly enough of everyone there, from a supportive management team down.... the best people work here and make it a pleasure to drive the distance.... if u get the job here u will love it.
Pros
Everyone that works there.
Cons
Worst company I ever had the misfortune to work for
Road Safety Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2018
I cannot comment on other sections of Serco however, the Traffic Camera Services arm of the company treats its Mobile Road Safety Camera Operators (MRSCO) with absolute and utter CONTEMPT. They do not pay annual leave loading or weekend penalties. They say these allowances are factored into the MRSCO's pay scale of $25 - $33 p/h which is measly given the amount of responsibility that goes with the job and the constant abuse the MRSCO must endure from the public daily. The 2017 EBA offered the MRSCO a pittance in terms of a 2.5% pay rise which for those on the lower end of the pay scale equates to little more than 60 - 65 cents per hour before tax . The MRSCO works a 24/7 roster but are not deemed shift workers so the company avoids having to award the MRSCO the extra week of annual leave. Staff in the communications centre on the other hand who also work a 24/7 roster ARE deemed shift workers and do receive the extra week of annual leave. Management has been unable to explain or justify the reason for this unfair inequity. The 2017 EBA has also offered staff in the communications centre a whopping 7.5% pay rise. Any error made by an MRSCO in virtually any capacity and regardless of how minor is immediately entered into and recorded on the MRSCO's Monthly Performance Report. Any similar error made by staff who are not an MRSCO however, is not recorded. Hypocritically, on occasion when the MRSCO receives an error notification from admin staff, that staff member notifying the MRSCO of the error has themselves made an error in one area or another. This hypocrisy however, is accepted  more... and overlooked by management. The MRSCOs are recipients contant and unceasing abuse, threats, harassment, intimidation and violence from the public yet management believes they pay the MRSCO well. The company has great difficulty retaining MRSCOs who resign almost as fast as the company can employ new operators but management are in denial regarding this. I could go on and on with the disgraceful manner in which Serco TCS treats its MRSCOs but I think I've made my point.  less
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Everthing else
Secure workplace
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnie TAS6 February 2018
I did enjoy working there over the period of employment. However I no longer want to work in this industry. I would like to start a career that I can progress in
Pros
Free salad for lunch once a month
Cons
Unwilling to assist with changing hours to help with work/life balance
Was fun when working with the right people
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Moorebank NSW24 January 2018
Thorpughly enjoyed it when you had a good team.to work with, but if you dont have that can become very stressful and repetitive, great for people who like being ourdoors
Pros
Relaxed work
Cons
Repetition
Excellent place to meet people
Mess Supervisor - Following Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT18 January 2018
Great workplace servicing the Australian forces. Friendly people. Excellent opportunities to gain certificates, plenty of training support. Never a dull day, every day is different.
Don't waste your time
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 December 2017
This company has such a high turn over and unhappy staff that I would not bother applying. limited job security, so many employees are looking for other employment. Save yourself the stress.
Pros
good pay
Cons
high turn over
fun, fast and dynamic
Office Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD30 October 2017
fast past, very large corporate size company, lots of benefits and training provided for professional growth, just a shame that Serco couldn't hold the Defence contracts.
Good wages, not enough work to rely on.
Detainee Service Officer (Immigration) (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA28 October 2017
Although working for Serco Immigration Services may be good for friendships and the wage is above average, being in a casual position limits you to a social life and constant stress due to not knowing when you will be working next.
Hard working environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northam WA12 October 2017
Very physical demanding job. Consistently being watched and monitored in all areas by big brother. Great work mates make it fun and enjoyable and entertained by detainees to distress from long hours. Cause a lot of mental and physical tiredness due to work loads.
Pros
Good money and work benefits.
Cons
As in most work places the gossip and rumors are full on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41K