Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews

Found 186 reviews matching the search See all 3,443 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
Productive and a fun workplace
Domestic Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy NSW15 June 2018
My Typical day was repetitive cleaning, I learnt about chemical handling, colour coding, management was awesome, you could joke and have a laugh with them, workplace culture was very diverse the hardest part was the heavy lifting and on my feet all day the best part was the hours and all the friends I made along the way.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On My Feet All Day
Ineffective training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC20 May 2019
Training which seems somewhat distant from actual requirements of the job. Thrown in at the deep end ,on the phones before "ready". Trainers not experts. Micro-managed to death. No positive recognition for staff who think outside the box to try and solve issues that taxpayers have. Team leaders don't understand that complex phone enquiries take time to solve and many things are not covered within the narrow confines of the scripting which staff are expected to religiously follow. Very stressful job. When seeking support or assistance, nobody seems that willing to help properly, or they help a little bit and then walk away and the poor operative on the phone is left to drown. I enjoy learning the job, but seem hampered by the system.
Pros
Good facilities.
Cons
Poor leadership, unwelcoming environment for new staff.
Toxic environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 May 2019
Employees including management were unprofessional in certain aspects which was a major let down to see grown adults acting like high schoolers. Would not recommend a friend to work here.
Don't waste your time applying for this job if you are a new immigrant
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 May 2019
If you are in Adelaide and not a Caucasian don't waste your time applying for this job. Rascist idiots run those tests...could feel the hatred when you talk to some of them for information. Can't believe these guys runs all those asylum seekers detention centers...every one of the non Caucasians I lmet there got rejection ...and they are safe to do so as they dont have to give any explanation for rejection... seriously need to report these haters..I don't know if all serco is same like this...didn't believe when people told me not to go for this .... looks like most job's in Adelaide is like this ,reserved for favorites and own race...
Pros
Could see haters running recruitment for free
diverse, fun, work and family balance.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 May 2019
It provides you the perfect balance between work and family.
good remuneration.
well balanced work load.
the toughest part of the job was to deal with some of the detainees when sent to serve them alone.
Suited Family life Secure job
- Accommodation, Cleaning Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Townsville7 April 2019
Suited my young family life
Supplied training to allow me to gain a Higher position
Great team achievements
Every days Task were different
Secure Job.
Pros
Training
Cons
completing all different types of work and meeting different poeple
One giant mess!
Customer contact officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 March 2019
Months waiting for the position to start, then a further delay to the start date. Training run by people who should NEVER train. The hours offered did not coincide at all with what was advised prior to commencement. Before reaching any level competence in one area of work, they are already showing you something else. Hence you can never get on top of any one task properly. What can I say, it's a workplace full of people who don't know what they're doing, or why they are doing it. No real quality control over "work" done, no timely feedback, despite the team being all newcomers. Confusion across majority of team members, no one to turn to (understaffed of people who know what they're doing, and even those who do, aren't always the most helpful). Frustration and nothing else. Unless you like wasting time, then avoid this employer.
Pros
Cons
All the above
No Job Security
Customer Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC12 March 2019
Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed working for Serco. My colleagues and team leader were the best thing about going to work each day. Or else I wouldn’t have gone back to work for them a second time.
But don’t believe you are not disposable to them. Especially if you are employed on a casual basis. First time I was employed by Serco, after the end of tax time I was released as a casual due to the cut in contract and they needed to reduce their staff overheads. The following year I was taken onboard again and what would you know. End of tax time again and a further reduction in contract. So they released me again without an iota of care that this was now two years in a row.
Expenditure and exploitation over employees and their welfare.

And the micromanagement was next level...
Pros
Your team and team leader felt like family.
Cons
You’re just as disposable as a sanitary pad
excellent
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Northam WA24 January 2019
Serco are strong company in their field and know what they are doing. The managers are well educated and look after their team and care about the individual while they are at work and at home.
immoral unethical
csr (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 December 2018
Serco are one of the contract employers for the ATO a license to print money really.

They pay their employees about $24 an hour the lowest of all the ATO contracts.

The employees work very hard on complex taxation matters with substandard training on many computer programs with Strict KPI's.

One of the KPI's is only have about 40 seconds before the next call.

Two 10 minute breaks and half hour for lunch.

At the end of Tax time about November they sack most of the staff then start recruiting in December for the next year.

This year for Christmas the Management of the Whitehorse Road Office in Box Hill gave their staff a Christmas stocking with 5 chocolate bars.

Now thats appreciation for a years money making for management. for you. Well done scrooge.
Pros
employment
Cons
unhappy work place
Detainee Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Maribyrnong, VIC, AU6 December 2018
Its a good place to work. It is multi cultural and linguistically diverse. Cultural Competence is greatly valued as well as alertness and ability to follow instructions.
Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnie TAS26 November 2018
This company has ruined me. Management are constantly guilty of backstabbing, favouritism, gossip, LYING to cover themselves, nepatism and corruption. They do not care about your stress levels, it's all about reaching those KPI's and getting their name looking good. They do not value the staff that keep THEM in a job. Occasionally they will put on a free cheese and bikki day and claim it's your reward for doing such a great job. Loyalty to the company does not mean a single thing to them and they will happily set you up to fail with no hesitation. I know cannot work due to serious mental health complications which was brought on by the actions of several members of "management" within this company and when I asked for help I was turned away and made to look like a fool and then gossiped about by the same people who told me the would help me. Don't work here unless you are prepared to brown nose in a serious way, but even then they will still run you into the ground behind your back. Promoted one day, demoted the next without any explanation. Typical corporate company.
Pros
quitting
Cons
terrible management, stress, not looked after, terrible pay
Workplace culture absolutely disgusting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Not telling14 November 2018
Where in ANY work place are you encouraged to dob in your workmates, and what does that say about the culture of this employer.
Management are PHAT and lazy, not interested in the staff on the front line doing all the hard work and suffering from the stress of the phone calls.
Blatant favouritism for long term employees and micro management of staff, back stabbing and gossiping on the floor, floor walkers who have NO idea of answers to questions put to them, acting team leaders who are too young to have any leadership skills but yet have inflated ego's.
Serco certainly need to be released from their obligations to the Tax Office as they are being paid for 8-12 weeks training and only giving 2 to their employees which is completely inefficient, operatives are being sent out to answer important phone calls from the public without enough knowledge about the tax system and what information is in the scripting is not always adequate for the calls being received.
Constantly drummed into you to use the scripting but then when you have to absolutely think outside the box you are reprimanded for it.
Team Leaders for some reason think they are doing quite an important job but in reality, they are working in a call centre.....
New contracts are being handled ineffectively, training is inadequate again for the contracts being gained from the Tax Office by Serco, one contract had one days training, and when advised to use specialists, there were none, because it was a new contract.
The Tax Office need to rethink their contracts and maybe realign with a new fresh Australian company
  more... as Serco have become lazy and complacent especially with the training.
You are better off working for the Tax Office and being paid the money that is more relevant to the job you're actually doing.
Rostered breaks are ridiculously short for the stress involved in the job, but its all about pumping the phone calls through not really the wellbeing of the staff even though the management "speak" all the right words, there is really no duty of care behind them.
Would have to be one of the worst experiences of my life, will never return to a call centre environment and would hope that others would forego what will be a harrowing experience also.
Simply don't apply, save yourself the harrowing stressful experience.
Most operatives don't even make it through the training, as it simply is too overwhelming to comprehend in a short two week stint and then once put on the phones a lot leave after the first day.
Serco don't care they profit from that and simply release all casuals and start all over again and if you're a member of the general public reading this, make sure you ask the operative how long they have been working in the call centre, if its less than 3 months, ask for another operative, cause for sure they will have NO idea as to what you're asking about and will be fumbling in the dark to find the answer for you.
Pros
learning about the tax system
Cons
everything about a call centre run by Serco
A diverse company
Intelligence Officer - Immigration Detention (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 October 2018
Every day was different and a lot of variety. I mostly enjoyed my time with Serco. The company and management need to address their workplace culture.
Pros
Free on site parking
Fantastic position
Roadhouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Boambee NSW15 September 2018
Working in a roadhouse doing over night shifts was nice slow paced position doing all the end of day cleaning and serving mostly truck drivers.
Great co workers and management
very clicky place to work.
Detainee Services Officer (CSO) (Former Employee) –  Brisbne5 September 2018
Serco has a very poor work/life as there is no room for advancement due to skills level. All advancements are given on the basis of who you know and not what you know. The organisation runs on a military basis and correctional management. Most of the upper management is made up of ex prison officers who are mates with the management team.
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
12 hr shifts
Excellent team members to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VARSITYN lAKES QLD23 August 2018
I enjoy helping the customers and assisting with any enquiries they may have, I enjoy doing different jobs that may be required of me. I enjoy the culture of the company
Friendly workplace.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC7 August 2018
Everyone working here was very friendly and approachable even if they were from different departments. While the work could be difficult at times, it was a good experience overall.
Inadequate support once traininig is over.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Box Hill5 August 2018
Some management were extremely helpful but for the most part you were left with little support on calls despite strenuous micromanagement. Scripting required to follow often did not cover queries being received. As a result was often left flying blind without anyone to ask for assistance.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Almost everything else.
Good work environment
Cleaner - Full time (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 July 2018
work includes cleaning and removing of graffities, cleaning around all the parks in the city for the city of Melbourne, cleaning of pavilions, and helping homeless people with supplies
Fun and energetic company to work for
Cleaner - Wagga Wagga RAAF Base (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW20 July 2018
Always had a laugh and enjoyed working with the cleaning team. Very productive but had fun at the same time. Management were very friendly and training was great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K