Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews in Box Hill VIC

Found 11 reviews matching the search See all 3,470 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
Ineffective training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC20 May 2019
Training which seems somewhat distant from actual requirements of the job. Thrown in at the deep end ,on the phones before "ready". Trainers not experts. Micro-managed to death. No positive recognition for staff who think outside the box to try and solve issues that taxpayers have. Team leaders don't understand that complex phone enquiries take time to solve and many things are not covered within the narrow confines of the scripting which staff are expected to religiously follow. Very stressful job. When seeking support or assistance, nobody seems that willing to help properly, or they help a little bit and then walk away and the poor operative on the phone is left to drown. I enjoy learning the job, but seem hampered by the system.
Pros
Good facilities.
Cons
Poor leadership, unwelcoming environment for new staff.
No Job Security
Customer Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC12 March 2019
Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed working for Serco. My colleagues and team leader were the best thing about going to work each day. Or else I wouldn’t have gone back to work for them a second time.
But don’t believe you are not disposable to them. Especially if you are employed on a casual basis. First time I was employed by Serco, after the end of tax time I was released as a casual due to the cut in contract and they needed to reduce their staff overheads. The following year I was taken onboard again and what would you know. End of tax time again and a further reduction in contract. So they released me again without an iota of care that this was now two years in a row.
Expenditure and exploitation over employees and their welfare.

And the micromanagement was next level...
Pros
Your team and team leader felt like family.
Cons
You’re just as disposable as a sanitary pad
Friendly workplace.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC7 August 2018
Everyone working here was very friendly and approachable even if they were from different departments. While the work could be difficult at times, it was a good experience overall.
Inadequate support once traininig is over.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Box Hill5 August 2018
Some management were extremely helpful but for the most part you were left with little support on calls despite strenuous micromanagement. Scripting required to follow often did not cover queries being received. As a result was often left flying blind without anyone to ask for assistance.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Almost everything else.
Ordinary job without any real career progression
Customer Service and Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC29 May 2018
A typical day at work is to answer inquiries about tax for Business and Individual clients. This would include over the phone and email inquiries.

I have learned how the Australian Taxation Office cheats its employees by hiring outsourced labour for the fraction of the cost it would take for them to do this themselves. A fully trained ATO employee would be expected payment of $35.00 per hour. Working for this outsourced centre, doing exactly the same type of job and as a full time employee, you will be paid $21.00 per hour which is just above the minimum wage expected for a call centre employee.

Management tend to only concentrate on results and care very little about individuals. During award negotiations, Management used scare tactics to negotiate a wage solution which benefited themselves greatly.

Workplace culture is highly negative. Apart from seeing fellow employees during work hours, there was little interaction outside office hours. There have been efforts to organise a time and place to see other employees outside these hours but there was little enthusiam from employers and employees to continue these plans.

The hardest part of this job is to remain motivated doing repetitive work. The breaks were not that long; only 10 minutes break for the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute lunch break.

The most enjoyable are the team meetings which you would have an hour to run through details of the work. It also means an hour off the phones which was highly beneficial.
Challenging, Productive and Demanding with a professional atmosphere.
Customer Service & Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC6 May 2018
A very busy & fast paced environment with a new challenge in every single call. Help was available by coaches & floor walkers but it was too demanding.
Pros
Colleagues were friendly
Cons
Rosters are timed without consideration.
Good job, poor job security
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC17 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Serco for the period, lots of opportunities to increase skills but unfortunately not much security. The managers were personable and other staff were friendly.
Pros
Good staff and working conditions
Cons
Job security
average
inbound and outbound customer service (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC23 January 2017
Everything was average, average work load, but typical call centre environment where you can't progress and there's no job security, eventually I left due to that anxiety.
Fantastic company
Customer Service Consultant/Administration (Former Employee) –  Box hill victoria5 July 2015
I am generally a very happy person so no negative words always take a negative and make it positive, I get along with everyone making the newbies welcome. The hard part of the job would be when things go wrong and you have no control on it (system issues). The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things.
Pros
Get to leave work early
Cons
non
Great company
Inbound customer service consultant (Current Employee) –  Box Hill28 October 2013
Good Working environment, good culture, everyone is helpful. Lot of different departments. company has a worldwide present in more than 35 countries.
Pros
Good working environment, company in 35 countries.
Cons
Less money
Unfortunately a Call Centre Role dictated by rules of a Government Dept (ATO).
Contact Centre Consultant (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC20 May 2013
Having mananged a successful Call Centre in recent yeras I found that the Serco role was less than satifactory.
The role involved taking inward calls for a Government client from external customers with a range of enquiries in an efficent and professional manner.
I learned some valuable "in house" Taxation based informatiuon.I found the management lacked real face to face contact with their staff and the training lacked certain substance. I found that meeting the strict confines of answers available to callers was rather restrictive and I enjoyed meeting new fellow workers.
Pros
Close to Transport
Cons
Regimented work environment with little scope for flexibility