Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Found 13 reviews matching the search See all 3,464 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
Toxic environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 May 2019
Employees including management were unprofessional in certain aspects which was a major let down to see grown adults acting like high schoolers. Would not recommend a friend to work here.
One giant mess!
Customer contact officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 March 2019
Months waiting for the position to start, then a further delay to the start date. Training run by people who should NEVER train. The hours offered did not coincide at all with what was advised prior to commencement. Before reaching any level competence in one area of work, they are already showing you something else. Hence you can never get on top of any one task properly. What can I say, it's a workplace full of people who don't know what they're doing, or why they are doing it. No real quality control over "work" done, no timely feedback, despite the team being all newcomers. Confusion across majority of team members, no one to turn to (understaffed of people who know what they're doing, and even those who do, aren't always the most helpful). Frustration and nothing else. Unless you like wasting time, then avoid this employer.
Pros
Cons
All the above
immoral unethical
csr (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 December 2018
Serco are one of the contract employers for the ATO a license to print money really.

They pay their employees about $24 an hour the lowest of all the ATO contracts.

The employees work very hard on complex taxation matters with substandard training on many computer programs with Strict KPI's.

One of the KPI's is only have about 40 seconds before the next call.

Two 10 minute breaks and half hour for lunch.

At the end of Tax time about November they sack most of the staff then start recruiting in December for the next year.

This year for Christmas the Management of the Whitehorse Road Office in Box Hill gave their staff a Christmas stocking with 5 chocolate bars.

Now thats appreciation for a years money making for management. for you. Well done scrooge.
Pros
employment
Cons
unhappy work place
A diverse company
Intelligence Officer - Immigration Detention (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 October 2018
Every day was different and a lot of variety. I mostly enjoyed my time with Serco. The company and management need to address their workplace culture.
Pros
Free on site parking
Good work environment
Cleaner - Full time (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 July 2018
work includes cleaning and removing of graffities, cleaning around all the parks in the city for the city of Melbourne, cleaning of pavilions, and helping homeless people with supplies
Good company but bad management
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 April 2018
I used to work with these guys in the Melbourne CBD. The management was terrible. Their office is like a primary school. Drama, lies, secrets, plots to fire people and so on. The job it's self was really good but that's about it. I have never worked somewhere so pathetic in my life.
Pros
Experience in gardening
Cons
Everything else esp management
Worst company I ever had the misfortune to work for
Road Safety Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2018
I cannot comment on other sections of Serco however, the Traffic Camera Services arm of the company treats its Mobile Road Safety Camera Operators (MRSCO) with absolute and utter CONTEMPT. They do not pay annual leave loading or weekend penalties. They say these allowances are factored into the MRSCO's pay scale of $25 - $33 p/h which is measly given the amount of responsibility that goes with the job and the constant abuse the MRSCO must endure from the public daily. The 2017 EBA offered the MRSCO a pittance in terms of a 2.5% pay rise which for those on the lower end of the pay scale equates to little more than 60 - 65 cents per hour before tax . The MRSCO works a 24/7 roster but are not deemed shift workers so the company avoids having to award the MRSCO the extra week of annual leave. Staff in the communications centre on the other hand who also work a 24/7 roster ARE deemed shift workers and do receive the extra week of annual leave. Management has been unable to explain or justify the reason for this unfair inequity. The 2017 EBA has also offered staff in the communications centre a whopping 7.5% pay rise. Any error made by an MRSCO in virtually any capacity and regardless of how minor is immediately entered into and recorded on the MRSCO's Monthly Performance Report. Any similar error made by staff who are not an MRSCO however, is not recorded. Hypocritically, on occasion when the MRSCO receives an error notification from admin staff, that staff member notifying the MRSCO of the error has themselves made an error in one area or another. This hypocrisy however, is accepted  more... and overlooked by management. The MRSCOs are recipients contant and unceasing abuse, threats, harassment, intimidation and violence from the public yet management believes they pay the MRSCO well. The company has great difficulty retaining MRSCOs who resign almost as fast as the company can employ new operators but management are in denial regarding this. I could go on and on with the disgraceful manner in which Serco TCS treats its MRSCOs but I think I've made my point.  less
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Everthing else
Wonderfull Job
Safety Camera Opperator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 July 2017
Different location every day, procedures had to be followed exactly but the training was enjoyable. The culture was relaxed, inclusive and very welcoming. The management listened and delt with any issues immediately. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people that objected to the use of camera cars and just viewed you as a revenue raising maggot.
The friendship and helpfulness of all the employees.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
unsocialable hours
Less than ideal
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 May 2016
The only saving grace for this employer was my former team leader who was supportive and appreciative of effort. Outside of this, the environment is quite inhospitable. Training is inadequate to prepare for what to expect on the job, there is a consistent drive to reach unrealistic targets without relevant support to achieve them. After two years, I was still on a casual employment basis, with no opportunity given for permanent
Pros
Occasional recreation or reward incentives.
Cons
No real positive engagement.
Good for people with no experiences.
Customer Service Representative, Box Hill (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC24 August 2015
-Pay did not match the stress of the work
-Good people, very helpful and always willing to help
-Good management, fair but firm.
confronting place to work
Acting Client Servive Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne30 November 2014
Long days,
I learned how to become a manager in the work place.
Higher management was not supportive.
Best people to work with and I can count on them to have my back.
Hardest part dealing with distraught, angry people.
knowing at the end of the day all my workers went home safely and know one got hurt.
Often challenging and fun filled
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC8 January 2014
Working with a different cohort clients group is fun and provides opportunity to learn new things day by day. Management is excellent and so are the co-worker and staff. The hardest part of the job is long working hours and most enjoyable part is that all the worker get along very well and make the shift goes quicker.
Pros
More time off as a result of 12 hours shift
Cons
rotating roster 24/7
Productive place to work, but not very rewarding
Film Registry Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, Vic.16 March 2013
Busy most of the day, every day
I have learnt that the company does not care very much about their employees, we seem to be only a number
Management don't appreciate what we do and there is no career path for most employees
Some of my co-workers are hard to get along with at times
The hardest part of the job is the stress caused by the pressure that we are put under to not only do our work in my section, but to have to help out other areas with mo reward or recognition
Unfortunately the most enjoyable part of the job is while I am on a break, the weekend, RDO or on leave
Pros
an infrequent free lunch
Cons
too much work and pressure