Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Found 29 reviews matching the search See all 3,447 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
Productive and a fun workplace
Domestic Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy NSW15 June 2018
My Typical day was repetitive cleaning, I learnt about chemical handling, colour coding, management was awesome, you could joke and have a laugh with them, workplace culture was very diverse the hardest part was the heavy lifting and on my feet all day the best part was the hours and all the friends I made along the way.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On My Feet All Day
Ineffective training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC20 May 2019
Training which seems somewhat distant from actual requirements of the job. Thrown in at the deep end ,on the phones before "ready". Trainers not experts. Micro-managed to death. No positive recognition for staff who think outside the box to try and solve issues that taxpayers have. Team leaders don't understand that complex phone enquiries take time to solve and many things are not covered within the narrow confines of the scripting which staff are expected to religiously follow. Very stressful job. When seeking support or assistance, nobody seems that willing to help properly, or they help a little bit and then walk away and the poor operative on the phone is left to drown. I enjoy learning the job, but seem hampered by the system.
Pros
Good facilities.
Cons
Poor leadership, unwelcoming environment for new staff.
Toxic environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 May 2019
Employees including management were unprofessional in certain aspects which was a major let down to see grown adults acting like high schoolers. Would not recommend a friend to work here.
immoral unethical
csr (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 December 2018
Serco are one of the contract employers for the ATO a license to print money really.

They pay their employees about $24 an hour the lowest of all the ATO contracts.

The employees work very hard on complex taxation matters with substandard training on many computer programs with Strict KPI's.

One of the KPI's is only have about 40 seconds before the next call.

Two 10 minute breaks and half hour for lunch.

At the end of Tax time about November they sack most of the staff then start recruiting in December for the next year.

This year for Christmas the Management of the Whitehorse Road Office in Box Hill gave their staff a Christmas stocking with 5 chocolate bars.

Now thats appreciation for a years money making for management. for you. Well done scrooge.
Pros
employment
Cons
unhappy work place
Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnie TAS26 November 2018
This company has ruined me. Management are constantly guilty of backstabbing, favouritism, gossip, LYING to cover themselves, nepatism and corruption. They do not care about your stress levels, it's all about reaching those KPI's and getting their name looking good. They do not value the staff that keep THEM in a job. Occasionally they will put on a free cheese and bikki day and claim it's your reward for doing such a great job. Loyalty to the company does not mean a single thing to them and they will happily set you up to fail with no hesitation. I know cannot work due to serious mental health complications which was brought on by the actions of several members of "management" within this company and when I asked for help I was turned away and made to look like a fool and then gossiped about by the same people who told me the would help me. Don't work here unless you are prepared to brown nose in a serious way, but even then they will still run you into the ground behind your back. Promoted one day, demoted the next without any explanation. Typical corporate company.
Pros
quitting
Cons
terrible management, stress, not looked after, terrible pay
Workplace culture absolutely disgusting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Not telling14 November 2018
Where in ANY work place are you encouraged to dob in your workmates, and what does that say about the culture of this employer.
Management are PHAT and lazy, not interested in the staff on the front line doing all the hard work and suffering from the stress of the phone calls.
Blatant favouritism for long term employees and micro management of staff, back stabbing and gossiping on the floor, floor walkers who have NO idea of answers to questions put to them, acting team leaders who are too young to have any leadership skills but yet have inflated ego's.
Serco certainly need to be released from their obligations to the Tax Office as they are being paid for 8-12 weeks training and only giving 2 to their employees which is completely inefficient, operatives are being sent out to answer important phone calls from the public without enough knowledge about the tax system and what information is in the scripting is not always adequate for the calls being received.
Constantly drummed into you to use the scripting but then when you have to absolutely think outside the box you are reprimanded for it.
Team Leaders for some reason think they are doing quite an important job but in reality, they are working in a call centre.....
New contracts are being handled ineffectively, training is inadequate again for the contracts being gained from the Tax Office by Serco, one contract had one days training, and when advised to use specialists, there were none, because it was a new contract.
The Tax Office need to rethink their contracts and maybe realign with a new fresh Australian company
  more... as Serco have become lazy and complacent especially with the training.
You are better off working for the Tax Office and being paid the money that is more relevant to the job you're actually doing.
Rostered breaks are ridiculously short for the stress involved in the job, but its all about pumping the phone calls through not really the wellbeing of the staff even though the management "speak" all the right words, there is really no duty of care behind them.
Would have to be one of the worst experiences of my life, will never return to a call centre environment and would hope that others would forego what will be a harrowing experience also.
Simply don't apply, save yourself the harrowing stressful experience.
Most operatives don't even make it through the training, as it simply is too overwhelming to comprehend in a short two week stint and then once put on the phones a lot leave after the first day.
Serco don't care they profit from that and simply release all casuals and start all over again and if you're a member of the general public reading this, make sure you ask the operative how long they have been working in the call centre, if its less than 3 months, ask for another operative, cause for sure they will have NO idea as to what you're asking about and will be fumbling in the dark to find the answer for you.
Pros
learning about the tax system
Cons
everything about a call centre run by Serco
Excellent team members to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VARSITYN lAKES QLD23 August 2018
I enjoy helping the customers and assisting with any enquiries they may have, I enjoy doing different jobs that may be required of me. I enjoy the culture of the company
Inadequate support once traininig is over.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Box Hill5 August 2018
Some management were extremely helpful but for the most part you were left with little support on calls despite strenuous micromanagement. Scripting required to follow often did not cover queries being received. As a result was often left flying blind without anyone to ask for assistance.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Almost everything else.
horrible
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enoggera QLD10 June 2018
easily the worst experience I have had in the work force. I have learnt that performance equals punishment and the toxic culture and back stabbing environment is disgusting.
Pros
Cons
too many - do not apply to work here
Ordinary job without any real career progression
Customer Service and Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC29 May 2018
A typical day at work is to answer inquiries about tax for Business and Individual clients. This would include over the phone and email inquiries.

I have learned how the Australian Taxation Office cheats its employees by hiring outsourced labour for the fraction of the cost it would take for them to do this themselves. A fully trained ATO employee would be expected payment of $35.00 per hour. Working for this outsourced centre, doing exactly the same type of job and as a full time employee, you will be paid $21.00 per hour which is just above the minimum wage expected for a call centre employee.

Management tend to only concentrate on results and care very little about individuals. During award negotiations, Management used scare tactics to negotiate a wage solution which benefited themselves greatly.

Workplace culture is highly negative. Apart from seeing fellow employees during work hours, there was little interaction outside office hours. There have been efforts to organise a time and place to see other employees outside these hours but there was little enthusiam from employers and employees to continue these plans.

The hardest part of this job is to remain motivated doing repetitive work. The breaks were not that long; only 10 minutes break for the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute lunch break.

The most enjoyable are the team meetings which you would have an hour to run through details of the work. It also means an hour off the phones which was highly beneficial.
Challenging, Productive and Demanding with a professional atmosphere.
Customer Service & Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC6 May 2018
A very busy & fast paced environment with a new challenge in every single call. Help was available by coaches & floor walkers but it was too demanding.
Pros
Colleagues were friendly
Cons
Rosters are timed without consideration.
Good job, poor job security
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC17 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Serco for the period, lots of opportunities to increase skills but unfortunately not much security. The managers were personable and other staff were friendly.
Pros
Good staff and working conditions
Cons
Job security
Do not work for Serco
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Bendigo VIC16 April 2018
The management treat you like fodder. The team leaders act like overseers and advancement opportunities are non existent if you're not one of the favoured few or related in some way to management.
Worker attrition is appalling and still management never bother with exit interviews.
Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Some really great workmates.
Cons
Pay, worklife balance, working hours, horrid leadership, poor working conditions
team environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  townsvile5 April 2018
Team work was the key word and team work is what we strived for, fantastic work mates and management.
Helping the Defence members was a position I enjoyed and excelled in
Pros
good team ethics
Cons
lost contract
Don't waste your time
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 December 2017
This company has such a high turn over and unhappy staff that I would not bother applying. limited job security, so many employees are looking for other employment. Save yourself the stress.
Pros
good pay
Cons
high turn over
Great training facilities provided & very strong staff well being focus
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD25 September 2017
I really enjoy working at Serco as the team building exercises have been fun and add to the day.

The culture is very much focused on making a job that can often be seen as very solitary (call center) as inclusive.
Highly stressful with some rewards but made lots of friends
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Varsity Lakes QLD12 September 2017
If you make it to Christmas they have a great end of year event but you have to work hard towards it.

The only time you get paid good money is if you work overtime hours, public holidays and weekends if you request a shift that is available for those times.

Rotation of Supervisors is quite frequent so you don't get to have a Supervisor or Team Leader for long and not long enough for them to give you a personal reference.
Pros
Trained on the job, flexible working hours and making friends
Cons
Wait a month before getting paid, Low income, Need to be switched on
My experience at SERCO doesn't represent all of SERCO
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Not telling8 September 2017
I learnt a lot in my role with working for SERCO, with which I can use in other roles. Some lessons positive a lot negative but that has made me stronger mentally . I wouldn't resume my old role with SERCO for any amount of money . Even though I love the role dealing with customers and my co-works were the best and supportive, being micro managed to the point of feeling like a drone but keep getting told they want people and the actions taken by management left you wondering do I really want to be here and am I valued. And the most disheartening point was when a CEO of a SERCO contract stated when questioned about retaining customer service staff and what he was doing about it was " There is always a high turn over in customer service so why bother " even though the cost of advertising for new staff, the training of new staff and stress put on remaining staff to make up for the lack of staff while SERCO still needs to fulfill it contractual obligations. Big tip get in learn as much as you can, and when you first ask yourself do I want to be here ? have an exit strategy DON'T GET STUCK THERE.

P.s. there were 1 or 2 people that were part of management that tried to make a difference for the better, I am happy to report they work up to reality and moved onto better places.
Pros
Co-works rocked, meet lots of interesting people
Cons
Management, Being micro-managed, Feeling like you don't have a voice, Poor system to book time off, rosters release with less than 2 weeks notice ( regularly only days before)
Good work environment, average pay
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Varsity Lakes QLD7 June 2017
Fast paced work, training is given often, plenty of chances to up-skill, pay is on the lower end of reasonable, but the work environment is quite supportive and friendly and so are management.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
average pay
a good place to work in
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Derby WA30 May 2017
meeting new people every day day and learning diffrent cultures and how they in their country.Diffrent food they cook, the hardest part of the job is dealing with the people that self harm themselfs
worst place I have ever worked at
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Varsity Lakes QLD11 May 2017
This call centre doesn't care about their employees at all. They are not understanding. You get forced into things you are not ready for. Even though you are a casual employee- you have to be available around the clock hours when it suits them and HAVE to bring doctors certificate every time you're sick- otherwise they give you written warnings. They have NO parking in the area at all, and actually tell you to catch public transport to work and back. Treat employees like garage.
Pros
easy to get a job
Cons
management/employment agreement sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K