Play YouTube video button

3.4Pay & Benefits
3.1Job Security & Advancement
Found 2 reviews matching the search See all 3,505 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
Previous experiences have encouraged me in areas of hospitality.
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD10 October 2016
I have had many teams to work with and cooperated with tasks functions and facilities. The defence staff were very good to work with. I have enjoyed catering in different work environments. I have Learnt new skills and maintained a clean approach to work, with good presentation and communication. I have enjoyed storage and logistics of food , beverages and alcohol. Service to customers has always been a professional approach to serving within my capabilities. Working on different defence bases was great.
Pros
Full time . flexible hours and good responsibilities
Cons
Muscular repetitive strains though nothing permanent.
Working in an Military environment is great
Food and Beverage Attendant LVL (Former Employee) –  Lavarack Barracks Townsville QLD4 November 2014
Shifts would vary morning shift would consist of starting at 0600 setting up for breakfast, having machines eg toaster, cordial, dishwasher, coffee machines on,communicating with military staff about menus paper work was out on table for military members to sign, unlock the doors for meal time, clean tables, watch to make sure military are signing for their meals and putting away condiments and washing dishes, wiping down tables, sweeping and mopping floors after breakfast,customer service towards all military customers, teaming up with afternoon shift with the lunchtime rush as there are usually more military personnel attending lunchtime meals, the morning shift would be on the dishwasher duty for lunchtime and end of shift is 1400 (2pm). Afternoon shift starting time was 1030 am duties would consist of cleaning the dinning room, making sure you top up drink machine, check all condiments that there is enough, wiping down tables, sweeping and mopping floors after lunch and dinner, after break doing cleaning listed on checklist, communicating with military staff about menus, getting signing sheets ready for following day, customer service towards all military customers, washing dishes, ensuring that at the end of each shift especially dinner that the doors are locked and secure before leaving, cleaning dishwasher, put away all appropriate items, get breakfast station ready for morning shift staff.
Weekend shift is a split shift with a 2 hours break between the morning shift and afternoon.
Co-workers would consist of civilian staff for front of house and military in the kitchens.
  more...
Hardest part would be the long shifts during military exercises and when there were extra military from interstate or international in at short notice.
Enjoyable part would be working with Military Personnel as you grow and understanding of the sacrifices they make to do their jobs and making new friends all the time.
Pros
free meals, pay and working with military and making new friends
Cons
long hours on the weekend