Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews

Found 189 reviews matching the search See all 3,470 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
I enjoyed all of my working days with Serco, I was able to make a difference
Specialist Language Teacher P & A , Welfare (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT29 March 2016
My day consisted of lesson preparation for the English classes. It all depended on the age of the group, but not always the level, I took this into consideration each lesson so that everyone had a chance to learn something new, often the more advanced students would help others.
I learned a lot about teaching and preparation especially for children aged between 4 and 12.
I was happy with the management as they were chosen for the specific situation we were in with providing education and activities including welfare for the refugees in our care.
The hardest part of the job was seeing the people go to communities as we were not to form any relationships with the detainees so there was to be no further communication with them once they were in the community.
My job was so enjoyable my only regret was that a lot of us were made redundant due to the new laws and turning back the boats.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
The weather in Leonora and Darwin
Social activities
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW19 March 2016
- great team to work with
- previous manager was good.
- Contract manager awesome
- Fun things to do at times
- social activities
Pros
work place activities
Cons
long queues
Was a clean & interesting job, mostly enjoyable.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA8 March 2016
I found this job to be mostly enjoyable. The bus route took me into many out of the City places & in & around a lot of "off the regular roads". The working environment was clean & the equipment well maintained. Meeting people from all walks of life. The tricky part was learning the new routes - a lot were not sign posted as promised. But I did a weekend run in my private car to make sure of the route. Other than that it was a good job.
Pros
All was good.
Cons
Learning a new route was tricky, but overcame that OK.
Fun people to work with
Temp Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT29 February 2016
I loved the team I was working with. The office was lovely and vibrant and made working there a pleasure. It was a very supportive environment to work in.
Stressful Job and Situations.
FT Canteen Assistant Former Employee (Former Employee) –  WPIDC Darwin NT2 February 2016
I spent 3 and half years working for Serco in their shop. Serving a mixture of detainees made up of Asylum Seekers, Over stayers and ex Prison inmates. The job itself is easy and management was good but the detainees were very unreasonable and demanding and uncooperative and that got worse as time went on. Safety for staff is a major concern and I would not work here unless you have patience lots of tolerance and a very calm personality as it's the most stressful job you could ever imagine. You do get paid very well because of this.
Pros
Great pay and good hours
Cons
Long journey to work. Stressful and not enough Staff.
Hard work but money was good management poor
Cleaner (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD9 January 2016
I would start the day collecting the equipment I needed and start from the smallest area to the largest area after finishing the two small areas I would have a break then start on the bigger areas about 3/4 of the way through I would have a lunch break then finish the work for the day
Pros
Ability to communicate with different ranking officals
Cons
management was poorly run
enjoyed my time there
Mess Steward and Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD15 December 2015
I loved working behind the bar at the army base in townsville, queensland. I enjoyed working with everyone there, we all worked together to help each other out,I loved interacting with the customers
Immigration
Acting Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Inverbrackie, SA4 December 2015
A great place to work with many and various changing work environments.
12 hour shifts and 4 week roster.
Diversity of Clients.
scope to move up within the service with great training opportunities along the way.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
limited jobs available
Great workplace with great people
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Docklands, VIC7 October 2015
Lots of different types of work including, mowing, weeding and cleaning out garden beds, spraying weeds, planting, mulching and so on. I left this workplace to start up my own gardening business.
Great for Work/Life balance however no job security
Welfare Manager and Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Darwin, NT5 October 2015
Enjoyed my time working for Serco however due to the political nature of the job there was no job security and eventually my role was made redundant along with 300+ others.
Dynamic and exciting
Detainee Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Broadmeadows, VIC13 September 2015
Dynamic, challenging and exciting work environment. Rotating roster with rotating roles and posts. Learned to multi task and cope with pressure to keep up with unexpected situations. Management is always rotating, as the organization is a multi national which provides a variety of services for the government. Colleagues are all from different nationalities. Hardest part of the job is working with detainees from a culture you are unfamiliar with and their communication is very limited. The best part of the job is working long days and having and having many days of to compensate
Pros
lots of days off
Cons
Good for people with no experiences.
Customer Service Representative, Box Hill (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC24 August 2015
-Pay did not match the stress of the work
-Good people, very helpful and always willing to help
-Good management, fair but firm.
Have to work by Rule because of security reasons
Permanent Full-Time Client Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA8 August 2015
12 hours days, my co-workers are the best, Staying vidual and alert are the things we learn every day.
Working with Serco is a great place to be but like any other company it has faults but nothing major.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Long Hours
Small staff numbers who worked well together.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wodonga, Victoria26 July 2015
Opening at 7.30am, printing previous days reports, restocking of items in both the store and bulk. Serving customers, processing sales, assisting with purchases, receiving of goods, kitting out classes and individuals to the relevant block scale. The ladies I worked with were great and we worked well as a team. Meeting and helping members was the most enjoyable part of my job followed closely by stocktaking ( I was the office stock recorder). The hardest part of my job was probably interpreting the block scales for each of the tri-services.
Pros
Great people
Fantastic company
Customer Service Consultant/Administration (Former Employee) –  Box hill victoria5 July 2015
I am generally a very happy person so no negative words always take a negative and make it positive, I get along with everyone making the newbies welcome. The hard part of the job would be when things go wrong and you have no control on it (system issues). The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things.
Pros
Get to leave work early
Cons
non
Fast paced workplace with a great team of people to learn from and work with each day
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Varsity Lakes, QLD29 June 2015
Great team of people to work with on a daily basis - great management team with guidance on all aspects of the role, decent amount of red tape but is expected with a large company.
great location to work
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Inverbrackie SA24 June 2015
I learned that I was able to cope with long shifts.
Shift managers were great, and the centre manager was very approachable. Co- workers were a great bunch of people. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to nigh shift. and the most enjoyable part of the job was the good salary and the fact that the rolling shifts gave us days of during the week, some weeks
Pros
working with a great bunch of diverse background coleagues
Cons
Worked for 131/2 years with SSDS and enjoyed most of it. very easy company to work for and multi national.
Area Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 June 2015
Start work at 7am and check all the staff to see how things are going, started as a casual chef and worked my up to an area Hospitality Manager, most of the employees were very pleasant, the hardest part of the job was staffing depending on where you were it was sometimes hard to get staff, the most enjoyable prat of the job was the satisfaction of see staff rewarded for their efforts.
Example - I was the runner up for the Asian Pacific employee of the year in 2002.
Pros
Car and Fuel card
Cons
nothing
Immigration Services
Client Service Officer (CSO) (Former Employee) –  Northam WA15 June 2015
The position was exciting and great for the opportunity to work with other cultures of the world.
The way the Detention Centre was being run was what was bad. Reason was let go was fatique sent in due to driving to and from work assignment which was about 2 1/2 hours and the work hours of 12 1/4 hours. This making the work day about 14 3/4 hours. So after 3 years fatigue starting setting in which cause me to fall asleep twice in a 6 month period. Then the acting centre manager stated he was letting me go for he did not believe I could do the job or he could not trust me to do the job. I believe it was because I had filed a Grievance against the centre for discrimination.
Pros
A great relaxing job and the opportunity to work with people of different cultures.
Cons
Centre Directors
great job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Katherine raaf basew Tindal8 June 2015
enjoyed the job. had to keep a toilet block and office areas clean. They had to do id checks as in high profile areas of great secrecy. enjoyed the hours and the team work.
Pros
good equiptment to work with
Cons
long drive to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K