Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews

Found 188 reviews matching the search See all 3,464 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
Instilled its governing principles
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, WA18 May 2015
Good support structure and excellent Management in house. Regional Management could have been more supportive in times of mass incident. HR only driven by $$
Pros
Good union
Cons
Non supportive regional management and HR
hard work
Catering Assistant - Curtin Detention Center (Former Employee) –  Derby, WA15 May 2015
its a job thats not for the faint hearted with long shifts and working away from loved ones on a plus side the managment and co workers make you feel right at home and become your family whilst away working.
A good workplace
Catering Asistance (Former Employee) –  IDC, Derby and Christmas Island, WA4 May 2015
My typical day at work having a good team work to leads to innovation and energetic. I was learning Cutting, doing preparation, meat pool, making salads doing services. Also I am learned timing, whiches during work we have to put the timing for ourselves to be done on time.Working in the kitchen not must be using a big muscle but what we need is must`be to be smart. However, i do management to improve my performance to getting better. I was so glad to having a good workers in my previous job, they are a good worker, they are discipline. The hardest part of the job is doing something new thing whiches I never have done it before. However, it is good for my self because is challenging for me. The most enjoyable when I was working in IDC, Derby, WA, Serco. It is not easy, is must be hard working but I really love it because I can learned a lot thing such as doing preparation. Doing preparation it is must be quick, smash it everything and it is very busy. However workers not feeling stress because we still can laughing, not stress, but so much fun.
Pros
Free lucnh
Cons
challenging and versatile; reasonable employee support
Curtin IDC, WA - ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  outback Leonora and derby, WA26 April 2015
Had a wonderful experience initially in Leonora and learned a lot working with diverse and interesting cultural groups, from minors to male adults and then families and children. the job was enhanced by an equally diverse group of teacher colleagues, and many other stakeholders; I was impressed by the company attitude to older employees and the support re housing and FIFO. Living in a remote hot area was another experience that added to the exciting challenges, but had some drawbacks with shopping and socialising which was not only isolated but also costly. It also reduced family contact due to the distance.
Like most large companies it had some poor management, but overall, it was good, and if a problem or concern arose, mst management listened.
Pros
isolation and social support by colleagues and management
Cons
distance and isolation.
Army
Stewardess, food Prep (Former Employee) –  Moorebank23 April 2015
Table service, Function service, Cleaning, Food prep ect.
Great company, and management staff. Great working conditions, reliable with pay and super
Pros
meals provided
Cons
long days on your feet
Co-workers were good to work with
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT17 April 2015
Cleaning of bathrooms and common rooms
I learned about what chemicals to use for what areas
Superviser issues
I was only there employed for a short period of time as I obtained other employment
Opportunity to walk with variety of nationalities.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Northam14 April 2015
Organizing day to day roles for work colleagues. Been able to communicate with stake holders and talking with all types of people.
Pros
working with people of all walks of life
Cons
Dynamic and progressive in its field of opperation
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Varsity Lakes - Gold Coast13 April 2015
A fast,energetic and demanding environment - staffing control - Quality demanding - stringent KPI's.
Great support and training
Pros
close to home -
Cons
no career opportunity's to progress - reached ceiling
Hard work but very enjoyable
Immigration Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney2 April 2015
Running the day to day operations at villawood detention Centre.
Welfare, Security. Due to Legislation i am not permitted discuss day to day operations
it was a challageing job
Kitchen Superviser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, NSW29 March 2015
Working at a military base and taking over a contract was hard when military staff thinking you were going to change there way
Pros
great social groups
Cons
hard to get to work no public transport
good learning about different cultures
Canteen Co-ordinator Pontville Detention Centre (Former Employee) –  Weipa, QLD28 March 2015
opening up the canteen serving the inmates, ordering the stock. getting to know where the guys came from and their culture. got on well with the other people who worked their.
Pros
getting to know other people
Fun Environment
Client Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Darwin28 March 2015
Working in this industry has opened my eyes to the many different cultures that are n the world. I have worked with some of the best people I have ever met in my life. I actually enjoyed getting up each morning to go to work due to the people I was working with and how much I enjoyed their company.
Pros
Amazing People
Cons
No work life balance
Productive and fun work place full of challenges
Catering Manager / Project Management (Current Employee) –  Christmas Island11 March 2015
When you work with a team to service 3 thousand detainees, across 3 sites, then you see and educate the team in moving forward in the contract, down to 100 detainees your co workers are negative, you need to work hard on turning their negativity to positive outlook, the enjoyable aspect is seeing them work together
Pros
More time for training the team
Cons
Challenges
Great place to work management easy to work with
Contact Centre Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bendigo, VIC4 March 2015
Management are understanding and easy to work with.
co-workers are experiences and happy to share experience.
well stocked vending machines and fresh milk daily.
active social club, includes theme days, free lunches etc..
Pros
spacious workstations
Cons
casual hours
good job but bad maneger
Catering Attendant Grade (Former Employee) –  Cairns Qld1 March 2015
Use to be good hours than been cut short but I still go works. I have learn that maneger cannot provide help or communication and cannot support any of workers. co-worker are great .hardest part is we don't know what happening ,as if we having function or defence dinner we just walkin it with out been told. I love my job so I enjoyed everyday even it not good day.
Pros
Cons
not enough hours
Good learning experience and great co-workers
Welfare Officer (Current Employee) –  Christmas Island19 February 2015
The work is full on working with people from different cultures and religions. These clients all have problems of different nature and mostly they will be looking up to me for answers and help. The job requires a lot of patients as there is a language barrier too. Management and co-workers play their part well by assisting where possible but i am the one who is directly linked to the client and have built a rapport with the client hence i am the one who has to play a bigger role in helping resolve issues the client will be going through.
Most enjoyable part is when i manage to come up with a helpful result and make the client happy. The hardest part is seeing clients suffering and not getting help or results as fast as desired.
Pros
Good satisfying job and the money
An interesting experience
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD15 February 2015
I was responsible for all HACCP requirements, stock control, rosters and dispute resolution. I have learnt the importance of a healthy work/life balance. It was a great place to learn the management ropes inside a major company as opposed to all lot of the smaller businesses that I have worked at previously.
Off Shore Processing
Welfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Christmas Island Immigration Detention Cente6 February 2015
Working on Christmas Island (CI) with refugees was challenging while at the same time very rewarding.

On CI I have worked with a variety of groups in detention such as unaccompanied minors (UAM), families, single adult females (SAF), single adult males (SAM) and the Indonesian crew.

In all of my roles it has been my responsibility to assist vulnerable people in detention in the planning and co-ordination of their daily routines and link them with relevant stakeholders to normalize their day-to-day life.

While at the same time maintain and continually promote the good order and management of the compound.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
living away from family
good people to work with
Catering Assistant/Cook (Current Employee) –  Cook, WA25 January 2015
a typical day at work is very busy, fast paced, since working with serco i have gained experience in catering and have been able to up skill myself as they have provided me with training and have given me the opportunity to to gain more confidence in commercial cooking and preparing of food as well as service, i enjoy working with all my co workers, easy going but professional, the hardest part of my job would be service of food as sometimes you cannot please everyone, the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to cook good food and learn different ways of cooking and cultures.
Pros
making and tasting of good food
Cons
only being in a casual position
Educational
Function Coordinator (Former Employee) –  canberra ACT19 January 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working with Serco Sodexo at HMAS Harman, my site Coordinator was extremely helpful she assisted me with my first managerial position and the pitfalls that comes with the position.

A typical day at work would have involved coordinating 1 - 6 conference rooms at a time, catering for up to 180 people, constantly conferring with the head chef for any changes.

I did have a lot of fun in my position, I met a lot of great people it was trying at times and sometimes extremely tense, but overall a great place to learn.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K