Play YouTube video button

Serco Employee Reviews

Found 189 reviews matching the search See all 3,470 reviews
Featured review
Serco selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job as hospitality manger, and the other workers.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD22 April 2016
My job with SSDS as a hospitality manager gave me the oppertunity to show my customers my talent to serve them and to look after their wellbeing when they attended their respective messes. My co-workers and myself got on together really effectively, I didnt find any part of the job hard and the enjoyable bits were when the officers had their functions and were pleased with how things were run.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
Nil
Educational
Function Coordinator (Former Employee) –  canberra ACT19 January 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working with Serco Sodexo at HMAS Harman, my site Coordinator was extremely helpful she assisted me with my first managerial position and the pitfalls that comes with the position.

A typical day at work would have involved coordinating 1 - 6 conference rooms at a time, catering for up to 180 people, constantly conferring with the head chef for any changes.

I did have a lot of fun in my position, I met a lot of great people it was trying at times and sometimes extremely tense, but overall a great place to learn.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
Great people to work with
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Canberra6 December 2014
Start at 700 in the morning being on your feet most of the day meeting new people
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Bad conditions
Interesting due to the different nationalities that you encounted
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney2 December 2014
Mainly work dayshift and some weekends. Did three trips to Christmas Island to process the bout arrives.
confronting place to work
Acting Client Servive Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne30 November 2014
Long days,
I learned how to become a manager in the work place.
Higher management was not supportive.
Best people to work with and I can count on them to have my back.
Hardest part dealing with distraught, angry people.
knowing at the end of the day all my workers went home safely and know one got hurt.
Horrible place to work
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA25 November 2014
Horrible gossip culture that's actively and openly encouraged by management. No procedures for anything, No one takes any responsibility for anything.
Paid very well to look the other way.
Do not value staff at all.
Pros
Good money..easy work if you can handle the negativity
Cons
Horrible staff morale, infighting, lack of appropriate facilities for staff, very long hours at short notice (14 hr shifts are normal 18+ hrs isn't unusual), Always severely under staffed
Very good work place but not many opportunities
Feedback Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA16 November 2014
Handling feedback emails and calls from customers
Assisting call centre agents with feedback enquiries.
My writing and verbal communication skills have improved. Also gained computer skills.
Management is supportive and I have great team mates always ready to help.
Handling irate customers is the hardest part but this does not happen daily.
Investigating enwquiries and providing information
Pros
No long hours, no weekends
Cons
no opportunities, no overtime
Rewarding Role working with Aslymn Seekers
Client Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 November 2014
Everyday brings a different experience.Different day, different role. The most enjoyable days are when I meet with Detainees to interact on their issues, problems, successes, good/bad news, personal traumas, and celebrations. Although I cannot offer much to these people I try to do all I can to keep them positive. Little things can make a big difference. I have learned alot about welfare work and enjoy that side of the job very much. Security is predominately the main concern of someone in my role and most things are centered around staff and detainees being safe and secure. The hardest part of my job is night shifts. I have learnt to cope with night shifts but do not prefer that side of my roster. Inverbrackie will be closed by December 31st 2014 and I would like to continue working in welfare, helping people with life threatening problems and issues.
Pros
Working 7 day fortnight
Cons
Working night shifts
Working in an Military environment is great
Food and Beverage Attendant LVL (Former Employee) –  Lavarack Barracks Townsville QLD4 November 2014
Shifts would vary morning shift would consist of starting at 0600 setting up for breakfast, having machines eg toaster, cordial, dishwasher, coffee machines on,communicating with military staff about menus paper work was out on table for military members to sign, unlock the doors for meal time, clean tables, watch to make sure military are signing for their meals and putting away condiments and washing dishes, wiping down tables, sweeping and mopping floors after breakfast,customer service towards all military customers, teaming up with afternoon shift with the lunchtime rush as there are usually more military personnel attending lunchtime meals, the morning shift would be on the dishwasher duty for lunchtime and end of shift is 1400 (2pm). Afternoon shift starting time was 1030 am duties would consist of cleaning the dinning room, making sure you top up drink machine, check all condiments that there is enough, wiping down tables, sweeping and mopping floors after lunch and dinner, after break doing cleaning listed on checklist, communicating with military staff about menus, getting signing sheets ready for following day, customer service towards all military customers, washing dishes, ensuring that at the end of each shift especially dinner that the doors are locked and secure before leaving, cleaning dishwasher, put away all appropriate items, get breakfast station ready for morning shift staff.
Weekend shift is a split shift with a 2 hours break between the morning shift and afternoon.
Co-workers would consist of civilian staff for front of house and military in the kitchens.
  more...
Hardest part would be the long shifts during military exercises and when there were extra military from interstate or international in at short notice.
Enjoyable part would be working with Military Personnel as you grow and understanding of the sacrifices they make to do their jobs and making new friends all the time.
Pros
free meals, pay and working with military and making new friends
Cons
long hours on the weekend
Innovative and dynamic workplace
HR management (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA29 October 2014
Working for Serco across different sites and contracts was in itself a great experience. The people I worked with made it an enjoyable journey.
Working life
Acting Client Service Manager Inverbrackie APOD (Current Employee) –  Adelaide Hills SA28 October 2014
Typical day, Come in and receive a handover from previous shift Client Service Manager. Then conduct on coming shift handover and then try and cover any sickies for the day.
Make sure the smooth running of the centre and complete any incidents that arise and report to varying stakeholders as required.
Pros
Working enviroment
Cons
Management Structure
Great place to work, even greater people to work with.
Work Health and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Williamtown RAAF Base, Singleton Military Area24 October 2014
A typical day at work consisted of the sharing of opinions with other regional safety team members. I learned the benefits of autonomy and the value of trust within a team structure designed to operate effectively within different sectors of defence services. I found my co-workers to be very knowledgeable in regards to their environments.
The hardest part of my job was finding time to tackle all events in one day. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with different Managers and workers within the various job fields. I enjoyed working on individual basis with the workers and aiding them in the development of safety systems which benefited them as a whole.
Pros
Friendly atmosphers
Cons
Long drives between work locations
Great working environment and great teams
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Townsville22 October 2014
Good working as part of a team and managed well. Have gained some more experience with specific equipment
Very, very busy site, as control room operator
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Garden Island, Sydney19 October 2014
Operating the emergency control communication network radio communication.
Operating a base radio communication network, responsible for 12 base sites.
Monitoring CCTV, Working XSM 630 Honeywell Excel Security Manager
Monitoring Responding & actioning Fire Alarms, when they occur
Monitoring Responding & actioning Bomb Threats, when they occur
Monitoring Responding & actioning Building Intruder Alarms, when they occur.
Responding & actioning Security Breaches, when they occur
Responding & actioning Medical Emergencies
Programming Access Cards and Screening
Including Static-Foot and Mobile Patrols

Hardest part of the job, was operating a singular operator, answering 12 mobile networks and 4 landlines stations, in a 12 hour shift
Serco was a breath of fresh air, and gave me opportunities that I had not been able to do in my other careers.
Workplace HS&E Coordinator, RTW Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Derby, WA11 October 2014
Serco has provided me with the opportunity to advance my career. My normal day started at 8AM, and depending on what was to be done, I always had the support of the Centre management and staff.
My management team and co-workers were very good at what they did, and this showed by the feedback we received from other Centres and also the Federal department that we were contracted to. Due to the nature of the work, and where we were situated, staff had to have a sense of humour and a lot of patience. The hardest part of the job was having to take a site that was a building site initially to a site that met all areas of WHS and environment, in a very remote location. The most enjoyable part of my work was the people that I worked with and the contacts that I made in local council, local hospital and the site itself.
Pros
Free accomadation.
Cons
Long hours, 12 hour shifts in Kimberley heat and dust.
It was enjoyable however due to closure not so enjoyable
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby Western Australia18 September 2014
It was a great and an enjoyable opportunity with this employer however no job security.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
poor management
Poor performance regards staff entitlements.
Client Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Broadmeadows, N29 August 2014
Unusual work culture. Can offer deployments throughout Australia.
Pros
Interacting with clients.
Cons
Long hours, excessive travel time to work.
Serco Sodexho Defence Services
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD17 August 2014
I was employed with Serco on a full time basis in Qld, as a Senior Security Officer. When they won the Defence contract. Within this time it saw my being actively involved with the OH&S as a Rep. I was with them until I moved to Victoria.
productive
Client Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta20 May 2014
morning begins with shift brief from shift supervisor, commence daily tasks such as management of head counts, perimeter checks, canteen duties, deliveries toi various departments, good team atmosphere, not really hard work and the most enjoyable things was debriefes at end of shift, seems to create a better enviorment for working.
Call Centre (Former Employee) –  wa27 March 2014
• General Call Centre Duties
• Dealing with customer complaints & Problem Solving
• Customer Relations
• Maintaining a clean working environment
Sustainable
Custodial Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Kununurra16 March 2014
Preparing the vehicle for the day's work. How to run a court as an orderly which can be very hectic. Meeting people of all walk's of life that come into court.
Pros
Versatility, travelling to different sites
Cons
Flying in small planes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K