Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

SGS Employee Reviews

Australia39 reviews
Great teams but unsupportive top management
I really enjoyed working with my teams and other businesses within SGS but never felt fully supported by the senior management. Always an underlying feeling of uncertainty due to this.
Dishonest and unethical.
Worked for the company for a number of years in a remote area. In comparison to neighbouring companies they paid minimum wage for a highly stressful job. The company took every opportunity it could to strip rights and conditions from its workers. When I confronted them about their unethical nature of introducing policy changes that affect the lifestyle of their employees without proper discussion, they were ignorant and unconcerned.
Nepotism is a big culture at SGS
In my experience, I have found that there were numerous conflict of interest situations. A Branch Manager hired his own partner to be the Laboratory Supervisor and she reported to a Technical Manager who was just there as a cover for the Branch Manager, even though the organisational structure was for the Laboratory Supervisor to report to the Branch Manager. Apprehension of bias and conflict of interest was rife.
Cons
Short Staffed leading to long hours
I have never been treated so bad.
I have never been treated as poorly from a company as I did working for SGS. They were very cunning and undermining, and they have no empathy for their Employees.
Ok but bring your own salary
People you worknwith are awsome management isnt. No understand on what actualy happens on the floor andcompletely out of touch when it comes to communication
Don’t look after staff
Very poorly paid for the amount of stress and workload we had. Work life balance was horrible. Management was hard to deal with. Very micromanaged. Only positive is it’s a good stepping stone to work for the bigger companies.
High pressure at times but treated fairly by upper management
SGS is very family friendly they understand the pressure 0f work life balance.
It is a fun friendly atmosphere, and any problems upper management is easy to talk to and help problem solve.
Enjoyable Job
Like my Job and postion at SGS but too many managers.
they Dont treat you as a valid staff member after working for them for 8 years.

7.5 years working for them casually then 1 month of full time and my job was made redundant :(
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SGS?
Fun at work
My mentor was very knowledgable and ready to help at any point to make sure I get most out of my internship. Clean and low-risk workplace. Management was happy to work around with your work schedules to fit your learning needs.
Pros
Good workmates and nice work place
Fun workplace and committed staff.
Communication skills between all staff was very good.
Breaks to re-boost the system were consistent.

Always given plenty of notice for changes in work hours.

Professional approach adopted by all staff.
Pros
Free tea and coffee.
Cons
Long hours.
Jobs are good .Workers are excellent
A very good company to work for.SAFETY is at the top of the list.job is never boring.you drive different mâchines everyday .get to meet different people every day.workplace culture is just great.l enjoy it emencely. It's been great working there.
Fun working with team.
Need to increase the salary. Job experience is great for me. Work environment is good and very friendly staff. Very reputed company but need to look after employees a little bit better.
Mixed Feelings
The people are great and some of the work is quite exciting. But the culture is very slow and the office if boring.

The growth opportunities are great because its global. But the global control is felt in every decision that is needed to be made.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Slow decision making, boring culture
Not a fun place to work
Work day included working in a hot shed in over 50c temperatures with no air conditioning units, drinking up to 14ltrs of water a day to keep hydrated and the management would not purchase a air conditioner to make it safer to work even thou a few staff had hydration issues (dehydrated)
Pros
FIFO so cheap
hard working
sgs is a great company who provides new employees with the correct training and provided us with the correct ppe. the company is a friendly environment but also a well continuous job.
Its a job
Was a fun layback environment but become to much of a prison. Long days short breaks. have to beable to multi task. Doesnt take u futher in the company.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Not job security poor training
No fun
My experience would have been easier if I were a robot. Repetitive, dull, complicated and had to be 100% accurate. Any mistake was the end of the world. Very short lunch breaks. My hours were horrible from 10am to 6pm.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Horrible hours. Unfriendly environment.
Good work place
Just your general workplace, rather a dirty environment but the skills you learn there are very good. The work is easy but requires a high amount of concentration
Pros
Good work
Cons
Drity
Travel great when your young
Travel was great when we had no children. After having children life work balance became a priority. Promotion opportunities were very limited and at that stage of my life I need a challenge.
Nice workmates
Team work are good and quite productive. They are not only workmates but also friends giving support that is a good thing in this company.
Hardest part is dealing with Management which apparently no thinking that personnel are the real asset that needs more attention.
Pros
Free milk for breakfast and some fruits
Cons
any overtime on weekdays exchange with time in liue
Fantastic working atmosphere
Probably one of the best places to work at. You have flexibility of time. Management is cooperative and you get your part to make decisions.
However there is no job security. At time they get conservative
Pros
Flexibility of work hours, Salary, Culture
Cons
Top Management is conservative