Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Part time waitress (Former Employee) –  West Coast22 November 2018
Working at this hotel showed me what great teamwork is and I have learned to communicate better with foreigners who was unable to speak English.

My supervisor was very helpful and gave useful advice.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive and quick paced environment
Housekeeping services (Former Employee) –  wynyard11 June 2018
A quick debriefing of what would happen during the day was an every days start of.
I learnt on the importance of being neat ,punctual at work and following instructions from the supervisor.
The management was efficient and really educational ,they were always available to address complaints if any arose from the workers.
They ensured each n every individual was conversant with the policies and procedures of the workplace and frequently reviewed them.
The workplace cultural was simple and easy to learn the supervisors always ensured efficient training was key before one could start the job officially.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with occupied rooms .
The most enjoyable part of the job was the support offered by the more experienced colleagues.
Pros
free lunchs
No such thing as a 'Bully FREE' workplace
Events Executive (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 March 2018
Fun and enjoyable workplace, very multi cultural and friendly staff, I don't mind the long hours if required, however the biggest challenge is the 'Management' - There is no such thing as a Bully Free workplace.
Pros
Free Staff Meals, Laundry
Cons
Staff parking fee too expensive..
Productive workplace
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD17 March 2018
high stress jobs
little training
included meals and uniforms (laundry service included)
diverse staff team and friendly atmosphere
expect to learn on your feet
excellent learning experience
Pros
free lunches, included uniforms
Cons
Brilliant experience as a chef and manager.
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Cairns City QLD10 January 2018
Just a great environment to become all that you can be. To become great you must surround yourself with great people. I recommend others to pursue a career with, Shamgri La Hotels & Resorts.
Pros
Great co workers to work with
Great experience
Events Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 January 2018
working at the Hotel meant that the hours were always mixed. sometimes I would do overnight late hours or work throughout the day. so there was never consistency and really was just a part time job. though I did gain a few skills in management and the recruitment processes.
better
worked as a Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 November 2017
It was a good experience working with hotel's customer. were I learn how important it is to remain happy most of the time even in stress. I enjoy working with a supportive team and manager.
productive and fun workplace
Lobby Host (On the job training) (Former Employee) –  Cebu Philippines 600030 June 2017
I usually check all the check-ins when i go to work and make sure that all the VIP and non VIP are welcomed and escorted going to their rooms and preparing welcome drinks for them.

I learned all the parts of the hotel, the use and all those stuff. And got to apply all what I learned in my studies.

The management is very approaching for me because every time I have a doubts I directly go to them and ask for confirmation and they will directly respond to me.

The workplace is very fast phase and productive, since it is the front of the house and you really need to be fast in order to cater all those check in guests.

Hardest part of my job was when the first day of my job because it was so busy and I feel like I have no use because I did not know what to do at first and I was just standing at the corner pointing to the elevator so the guest will know where to go since I am not yet familiar with the facility.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when I'm already familiar with the facility and everything goes so well for me. I love interacting with the guests and hearing their wonderful experience in the hotel makes me feel like I have achieved my goals.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
standing for long hours
Productive and fun workplace
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD 48703 April 2017
Being an excellent customer service ay hospitality industry I worked all around, sometimes room attendant, kitchen hand, a the counter and also interpreter to the Japanese Guest at the Hotel.
Good food for hotel staff
Part-time Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 January 2017
I have learned to have patience and focus to reach my goal and that is satisfaction of myself and organization and ofcourse guest.
Pros
lunch at 3 dollar
Cons
I like to work long hour
Shut up your opinion don't matter
Service associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW4 January 2017
Staff are really friendly and high management make it out like they want you to progress your career whilst there.
However when the time comes they hire externally in stead of internally.
Food and beverage is the best department to work for as they have more a good team morale and work together to achieve the same goal. Even the manager and directors really care for their staff and show them the recognition they deserve.

All in all if you need some to work so you can put food on the table this is the place.

pay in minimum, if you shut up and do your job that is a model employee
Don't expect higher management to care
Pros
Hot lunch and dinner and soft drinks
Cons
Shift work and management
An enjoyable job
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 October 2016
The work environment is great. Loved the team, people were awesome to work with. Got to meet different people from all over the world. Got to be involved. Chances of growing is high here, started as a floor staff then slowly moved to experience behind the bar making cocktails and hosting. Management at the time was good, there were things that could be better but from what was given and what we had, the manager did a pretty job. Would recommend working here :)
Pros
Staff cafe, sooo free food!
Cons
late hours, travel can be a bit of a hassle.
Flexiable, $3 full lunch and free drink and fruits all the times
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 October 2016
Of course five star hotel work environment is good and people are nice to work around. Greatly enjoyed working here. Only draw back is that I am not working in my field of study.
Pros
free drink and fruits, festive season party and gifts
Cons
all good except I am not working in my field of study here
very bad experience
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  The Rocks NSW31 May 2016
everyday use to be torture over there. they pay really low for such a hard physical job.staff were rude over there .unfortunately,that was the only job when i was having hard times. and i really appreciate that.
Pros
lunch at the low price for the staff
Cons
pay low, rude staff
Training are encourage to equip the manpower
Materials Officer, Purchasing Department (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 March 2016
Managerial and leadership skills as well as relational abilities will be developed especially during busy seasons of the year to meet the tasks demanded at hand.
Pros
Uniform and Food benefits
Cons
Low Salary
just like the first one
Trades assistant (Former Employee) –  Cairns12 January 2016
just like working and working as a team member or a team player
Shangri - la is a 5 star Hotel and always doing you best to your ability.
Multitasking Role
Food and Beverage attendant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW7 November 2015
Whilst at the Shangri-La I was working in the banquets and also The Horizon Lounge (VIP Lounge).

I was mainly working with the food and beverage sector or both departments.

Shangri-La has a very multicultural and diverse team environment which gave me the opportunity to build relationships.
Pros
Free Lunch
satisfied
Baker/Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW3 June 2015
fun working with people and friendly they have a lot of staff you can rely with supportive team for new comers. managers and bosses are very accomodating and approachable when you need something you can easily talk to them with no hesitation.
Pros
lunch buffet
Cons
to many jobs
Productive and fun workplace
Finance Intern (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW13 March 2015
In the beginning of the week, I was struggling a lot due to lack of technical knowledge to the OPERA system . However, I have shown improvement in short period of time. My co-workers are all friendly and patient to teach me.
I could not recall any hardest part of my job and I am later able to work independently.

I am a very bubbly girl and certainly have shown ability to build good relationship with colleagues within the department. So I really enjoy the working time with my colleagues and interact with other.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Stress full management
Senior Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW9 November 2014
Very stress full workplace to work in.
not a good management to work under.
Never understand the staff
Pros
No benefits except working salary
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3