Sinclair Knight Merz
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sinclair Knight Merz Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
This is a good company to do work experience in if you are an aspiring engineer. They have good seniors who will help out their apprentices to achieve their goals and learn what they need to learn to work in the industry.
The role at SKM was enjoyable and leant a lot from them. Was a short stint there but achieved many small goals.
Wasn't employed by them as I decided to continue my education.
Company which recognised and encouraged talent, regardless of level of education.

Company which respected their employees and clients.
A very professional company with an extremely experienced management team leading engineering design and project management fields.
Plenty of scope for advancement in this company and a strong desire to train and maintain productive and loyal staff.
Pros
Great company that was staff as well as project focussed.
Cons
My ro, le meant I was away from home travelling to project sites often.
A self directed drafting position. Great location in the CBD.
Very good place to work. Good social enviroment. Office well equipt with up to date technology.
Pros
Access to good coffees downstairs.
Many areas of involvement when going through different stages of major project from a study phase to design and engineering phase. A great team to work for, management supported HSE
We have such a wonderful team at Jacobs team learning centre, we all look out for each other and in a professional manner.
We start at 6am and go till 4.30 pm, we have so many participants coming though our doors each day as we do inductions for mine sites. We cater for them morning tea , lunch and afternoon tea.

We have a coffee machine and tea facilities available for them.

I also do admin in the morning signing the participant in and do then catering from 8.30 till 3pm.

I love the challenge it gives me the goodness to want to come to work here everyday and when we are busy i look forward to the days at work.

Our team is very professional and well organised centre.
IT area was new to me, so everyday I was learning new things.
Colleagues were very helpful and I enjoyed every moment that I spent in SKM.
Excellent opportunity to exercise newly developed management skills.
Had some fantastic learning experiences, design set-out, 3D Modelling with Green and Brown Field jobs.
Pros
Great exposure to EPCM's
Cons
Work ran out
With safety, no two days are the same. The work is unpredictable and at times frustrating but always rewarding. I leave at the end of each day knowing that I have put my all in to the days work. I have learned a lot about the way in which people learn and that you cant just deliver training in one way. I have learned to run a gap analysis when there are failings and that quite often the failings are as a result of something that the business has not put in place. The hardest part of the job is not being able to understand some peoples attitude when it comes to safety, the most enjoyable part is when attitudes are changed.
Pros
People and support by the company
Cons
General frustrations
Specialised survey audit team across multiple projects
with the latest precision equipment.
Pros
latest precision equipment
Cons
Huge overheads
Overall a good work environment with efforts made to provide benefits and small perks. Mid-level staff often given a lot of responsibility and left to 'sink or swim' with projects. More support from senior staff needed to develop younger staff's understanding of our technical areas and client needs.
Good global reach however tend to work in regional silos.

Best part of the job has been field work in places all over Australia, and the ability to transfer from globally between offices.

Hardest part of the job was breaking through the local barriers as many people have been at the company or in the city for many years and established networks and groups exist which can be hard to join. Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to change the way things have always been.
Pros
Performance related bonuses annually, free fruit at work and fairly flexible hours
Cons
Often expected to work longer hours, recognition and rewards throughout the year not great
Great company to be poached by. Not so great if you're starting out as a junior, as you're just another low cost resource (no hope to advance).
Busy project, hard work environment. Business process and systems not as good as they could be. Felt to be a valued employee.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
10 hr days