Skechers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Skechers:

Skechers Employee Reviews

Australia32 reviews
great environment and pay. stupid rules about having to keep buying shoes though.
management is very good and punctual. i had a lot of fun in this job.
Your colleagues are always the most fun part of the job. The area managers think they know what’s best for the store when they don’t and never willing to take into account that the people working IN that store know what people want in THEIR own area. The shoes in each area should be chosen by the store manager as there are many styles that should’ve been sold in one area due to the customer base when there wasn’t. All area managers were egotistical and catty. As I said, colleagues were always heaps of fun and grea but the management enforced staying over the finished clock off bourse and finishing what had to be done yet are not enforcing that you get paid for that overtime. Typical retail, definitely isn’t fair on the worker.
Pros
Make friends easily
Cons
Unpaid work. Management. Hierarchy mindset
Probably the worst retail job I've ever had. On a day-to-da basis, we were belittled by upper management, told we weren't doing enough or 'perky' enough, and had to deal with them playing favourites. The AM at the time would cause fear to run through the store when she said she was visiting, and actually made a point of belittling me in front of a customer to the point where it made the customer uncomfortable and left. Instead of giving you constructive criticism, she would tell you everything you were doing wrong and not give you any tips on how to fix it. Though it probably didn't matter if you did fix it because by that point, they'd already decided they didn't like you.

A new AM took over the job and would come in and act to friendly and then absolutely roast you if your UPT wasn't sitting at 2 on a Tuesday.

I had a manager who couldn't handle the stress and would crack it at her employees constantly. She actually had a book where she would write down things about us, such as 'doesn't work hard enough' or 'isn't fit for the job' and left it in a place where it could easily be found.

I gave so much to this job, trying to impress them, all to learn that it didn't actually matter because they didn't like me from the beginning anyway.
Pros
Discounts at other Accent Group companies
Cons
Everything else
I love my team and the overall culture of the company, but the management is very unprofessional and the way you’re spoken to and treated is very unfair. The expectations put on you are ridiculous.
Pros
40% off discount company wide
Cons
The management was terrible and they over worked you and expected you to be able to work everyday of the week as a casual. The overall management is the worst I have ever seen.
The main issues working here was that of poor management, a lackluster and often toxic team vibe and a slow paced working environment

I can honestly say that communication with upper management was poor and often took, at minimum, 1 month to sort out any issues with the job. There was a constant pressure from management to reach unrealistic standards within the job, often having to lie to customers regarding the benefits of certain aspects of the company in order to achieve such standards (so as to maintain some amount of job security).

Workplace culture, at this store particularly, was toxic and ill maintained. Starting the job there was little training and rather you are thrown in the deep end and expected to swim. Any failure in doing so usually results in team members talking behind your back resulting in an untrusting and awkward work environment.

Do not expect much job security as shifts are determined by your personality and your ability to get along with management rather than your actual ability to perform and produce results.

Honestly the only redeeming quality of working here was the generous discount at hype, platypus and other brand names

Good luck to anyone who wants to work there
* Like every other review, upper management is 100% the issue with the company. The area managers and state manager are all on power trips and see you all as replaceable.

* Upper management are all very fake. They love sending their "motivational quotes" in emails every morning, then you get your daily morning phone call getting roasted for not making budget the day before.

* Budgets aren't realistic, you're expected to make $2500-$3000 on a Monday or Tuesday (Quietest days). Whilst receiving 20+ boxes of stock, entering it in the system, putting it away out back, pricing and displaying it. And there is probably only you and 1 other person working. If you don't get this all done, that is blamed on poor time management and you will work hours of overtime for free.

* One of the managers meetings I attended, The state manager told the us that we HAVE to wear makeup. And if staff turned up to work with no makeup on then they were to be sent home or would need to go to Priceline and put some on.

* I worked at Skechers for close to a year, and enjoyed working with my co workers. The people you work with in store are fantastic and the perks of working for Skechers was the 40% at other Accent group companies e.g Platypus, Vans, Hype DC etc.

*I chose to resign from Skechers as my mental health was very poor and was on the brink of a break down from the stress and emotional abuse received from upper management.
Pros
40% Discounts, Co workers
Cons
Upper Management
Training and communication from upper management could use a little work. Work place can be stressful but manageable, very flexible when life gets in the way however upper management are very fair understanding when it comes to this. Plenty of benefits and praise when you do a good job. Little to no help when you are struggling.
Horrible and toxic enviroment to work for. You are buillied everyday, no wonder they have one of the highest turnover of employees. They do not care about the health of there employees, and you are expected to work ridiculous hours.
Honestly don’t bother working here. I was a 2IC that jumped up to manager in a few weeks- manager was fired due to inappropriate conduct (so that obviously shows they can’t hire well). Then instead of having an area manager that commended when you did well, she would criticise you.
I was expected to ring the store on my days off to see how they were going- even though I would get hourly updates via email.

I was rung 3 times in a row on my day off and was told it was an emergency by my AM, to be asked “what’s your current address”.

They have their priorities all wrong and think they can walk all over the store managers and 2IC’s. 4 managers and 2 full timers quit in the matter of 3 weeks due to the same area manager. They honestly treat you like a piece of dirt.

The discounts are good, but honestly not good enough to keep you there.

They do not care, don’t fall for the trap of the ‘culture. They. Don’t. Care.
Pros
40% discount at all accent brands
Cons
Upper management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Skechers?
Absolutely the worst place I ever decided to work at! VERY click orientated, upper management is very poor in communication and understanding, the pay was terrible was getting paid minimum wage for an assistant manager role. Never get recognised for any of the good things, no training was provided and they just assume you to know everything, and unreal expectations and no work life balance.
Management are really difficult to work with. They don't care about their staff and are very discriminatory when it comes to giving shifts out. The lack of communication is so hard to deal with. Rosters for one week would change at least three times a week. Management don't care about you family life and are only focused on money. If you call in sick one week the next week you won't get any shifts. Avoid working there at all costs. I got told I would get a promotion but instead they cut all my shifts altogether and when I sent emails or had any issues they would ignore it completely.
Pros
Employees friendly, fast-paced workplace always busy
Cons
Lack of communication, Poor management, Inconsistent hours
the days were consistent with customer attention which kept the employees busy. I spent most my time there either attending to customer service and restocking, as well as handling the stores banking. The most enjoyable part of the job was the all over active environment, the pace of the workplace was quick and everything was handled with ease. a pro and con to the job was that it was always busy which although was tiring, it kept me busy throughout the day.
Pros
active, enjoyable, busy, refreshing
Cons
tiring, quite repetitive
This was by far my favourite job! The vibe of the store and the people I worked with were fantastic. The incentives were great and it was overall a fun environment.
However, once we recieved a new 2IC who later turned into our manager, I hated this job. Not only did she bully me but would talk badly about me to other members of our team. I couldnt even speak to higher management as they would all suck up to eachother and be extremely bias and catty (If your store manager didnt like you, neither would higher management.) I had to quit because of this manager who wouldnt even let me transfer stores.
Pros
Vibes, enviroment, incentives, pay
Cons
Would NOT recommend anyone to work for this company unless you are a young student looking for casual work. For anyone looking for full time work and job security this is not the company for you. You would get paid the same if not more being a check out chick at a large retailer than working yourself hard every day with no team recognition or appreciation. It also has the highest turn over of employees than any other small retailer. (Says it all) a very sink or swim business with tight knit selected groups.
Pros
40% team member discounts
Cons
No training provided
Terrible company, no support from any management, the staff turnover is ridiculous. Nothing good to say about my time with skechers. Waste of time and employment
Pros
Cons
High staff turnover, no support from management
good work environment, gave me valuable experience with customer service. really nice co-workers and cool shoes. really good way of saving money for uni
Pros
good environment
Cons
not enough hours
I was there holding a Christmas casual position from December 2016 to January 2017. The process itself to get the position was very long, having to call Skechers multiple times throughout the whole process. Actually getting the job was simple. I started at the Highpoint store before moving to the (then) newly opened Watergardens store. After my contract was over, I was thereby dismissed.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
No/limited break
A typical day at work was primarily spent cleaning and re-organizing the store unless a customer walked in.

During the holidays was particularly hectic but the organisational skills as well as teamwork of the staff members always assisted in keeping ahead of the rush.
A typical day at Skechers is always fun, it goes really quick and you get so much done. I've learned how to lace a shoe properly, opertate a til, open the store, do a split payment, how to deal with customers and I've learned the different types and styles of shoes. The management is a ten out of ten. The hardest part of the job is at the back when you're looking for a specific shoe and it's been misplaced and you've got the customer waiting for a while. The most enjoyable part of the job is just rocking up and just getting to spend the day with an awesome and fun team, getting to meet new people and listening to music all day.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Nothing really
The management is absolutely terrible. There's no clear instructions or any form of support coming from higher ups, you're just required to know and learn things on your own. Theres also alot of gossip that goes round this company.

Shifts and hours given are based NOT on performance, but favouritism and how much the manager likes you (read other reviews). Myself and many other casuals have experienced this form of management and its awful. Their way of "sacking" you is by slowly cutting down your hours to 3-6 a week, forcing you to quit on your own.

As a staff you are also expected to buy work shoes at 40% off which comes down to around $70, and you're required to buy new ones every 2-3 months because of how quickly they get rid of stock. Once your store sends out the shoes that you wear for work, you basically can't wear them anymore and have to get new ones.

All in all, the company experiences a very high turnover rate of staff and poor management so there's pretty much no job security.
Pros
Good team vibe, decent pay
Cons
Favouritism, high turnover rate, expensive work shoes