Skechers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Skechers Employee Reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 37 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,935 reviews

Fun and competitive

A fast-paced work environment, and can be stressful at times; but it's a great team!This is a place where you can expect teamwork and create good friendship.

Pros

Great team

Cons

stressful

Poorly managed and overworked staff

Poorly treated. Have never seen such high turnover of staff. Store saw a new 2ic or manager every 3-4 months and left casuals to run the store and have poor work life balance working 30+ hours a week Burned myself out and never recognised for the amount of work I put in each day when no managers were present in store leaving me to run the day more often than not. All issues were with upper management. Had team members for years but once staff changed, people were dropping like flies. Will always find a way to make you at fault for things and will have to go out of your way to prove yourself right. Constantly buying new shoes to wear as some shoes only last 6 months and then not allowed to wear them on shop floor. Often came home stressed and crying with bad mental state as a casual team member feeling I had too much responsibility to keep the store running but never allowed codes or to do any manager functions and often flagged for it. Not to mention the amount of pressure on staff member to sell socks and add ons, having personal upt meant that it was always cut throat with getting shifts based on your performance. Place made me feel trapped. Job is good for 6m-1y until cracks start showing and casuals are exposed to management that shouldn’t have anything to do with them in store. Staff discounts were ok but not good enough to keep me as a team member - couldn’t even claim it on tax.

Pros

No cons, best thing was leaving

Cons

Huge days, too much upper management pressure, upt and personal target pressure, workplace discrimination and harassment, no recognition for any work done, mental health destroyer

Supportive work place with brilliant potential for growth

Working here I felt very supported through every step of my journey in the business. The management were always there to help and guide me through anything and everything. Constant ongoing training and potential for growth and progression. A fantastic team throughout.

Pros

Staff discount, excellent culture, potential for growth

Cons

As with any retail management role work life ballance was skewed

Toxic work culture from management

Area manager and manager allowed for a toxic work culture to form and when complaints were made the environment just became worse. The company doesn’t care for its employees much.

Fast paced, pressure on sales

I worked there as a casual up to an assistant manager, unfortunately there main focus is vibe and culture instead of work ethics and a strong team based environment.

Pros

Promote from within

Cons

Long hours, unappreciated

It’s typical retail.

Your colleagues are always the most fun part of the job. The area managers think they know what’s best for the store when they don’t and never willing to take into account that the people working IN that store know what people want in THEIR own area. The shoes in each area should be chosen by the store manager as there are many styles that should’ve been sold in one area due to the customer base when there wasn’t. All area managers were egotistical and catty. As I said, colleagues were always heaps of fun and grea but the management enforced staying over the finished clock off bourse and finishing what had to be done yet are not enforcing that you get paid for that overtime. Typical retail, definitely isn’t fair on the worker.

Pros

Make friends easily

Cons

Unpaid work. Management. Hierarchy mindset

The worst culture

Probably the worst retail job I've ever had. On a day-to-da basis, we were belittled by upper management, told we weren't doing enough or 'perky' enough, and had to deal with them playing favourites. The AM at the time would cause fear to run through the store when she said she was visiting, and actually made a point of belittling me in front of a customer to the point where it made the customer uncomfortable and left. Instead of giving you constructive criticism, she would tell you everything you were doing wrong and not give you any tips on how to fix it. Though it probably didn't matter if you did fix it because by that point, they'd already decided they didn't like you. A new AM took over the job and would come in and act to friendly and then absolutely roast you if your UPT wasn't sitting at 2 on a Tuesday. I had a manager who couldn't handle the stress and would crack it at her employees constantly. She actually had a book where she would write down things about us, such as 'doesn't work hard enough' or 'isn't fit for the job' and left it in a place where it could easily be found. I gave so much to this job, trying to impress them, all to learn that it didn't actually matter because they didn't like me from the beginning anyway.

Pros

Discounts at other Accent Group companies

Cons

Everything else

Management is disgusting

I love my team and the overall culture of the company, but the management is very unprofessional and the way you’re spoken to and treated is very unfair. The expectations put on you are ridiculous.

Pros

40% off discount company wide

Cons

Bad

The management was terrible and they over worked you and expected you to be able to work everyday of the week as a casual. The overall management is the worst I have ever seen.

Unnecessarily stressful with terrible team vibe

The main issues working here was that of poor management, a lackluster and often toxic team vibe and a slow paced working environment I can honestly say that communication with upper management was poor and often took, at minimum, 1 month to sort out any issues with the job. There was a constant pressure from management to reach unrealistic standards within the job, often having to lie to customers regarding the benefits of certain aspects of the company in order to achieve such standards (so as to maintain some amount of job security). Workplace culture, at this store particularly, was toxic and ill maintained. Starting the job there was little training and rather you are thrown in the deep end and expected to swim. Any failure in doing so usually results in team members talking behind your back resulting in an untrusting and awkward work environment. Do not expect much job security as shifts are determined by your personality and your ability to get along with management rather than your actual ability to perform and produce results. Honestly the only redeeming quality of working here was the generous discount at hype, platypus and other brand names Good luck to anyone who wants to work there

fun job, good coworkers

great environment and pay. stupid rules about having to keep buying shoes though. management is very good and punctual. i had a lot of fun in this job.

Work here if you want crippling Depression

* Like every other review, upper management is 100% the issue with the company. The area managers and state manager are all on power trips and see you all as replaceable. * Upper management are all very fake. They love sending their "motivational quotes" in emails every morning, then you get your daily morning phone call getting roasted for not making budget the day before. * Budgets aren't realistic, you're expected to make $2500-$3000 on a Monday or Tuesday (Quietest days). Whilst receiving 20+ boxes of stock, entering it in the system, putting it away out back, pricing and displaying it. And there is probably only you and 1 other person working. If you don't get this all done, that is blamed on poor time management and you will work hours of overtime for free. * One of the managers meetings I attended, The state manager told the us that we HAVE to wear makeup. And if staff turned up to work with no makeup on then they were to be sent home or would need to go to Priceline and put some on. * I worked at Skechers for close to a year, and enjoyed working with my co workers. The people you work with in store are fantastic and the perks of working for Skechers was the 40% at other Accent group companies e.g Platypus, Vans, Hype DC etc. *I chose to resign from Skechers as my mental health was very poor and was on the brink of a break down from the stress and emotional abuse received from upper management.

Pros

40% Discounts, Co workers

Cons

Upper Management

Overall great workplace and envirnoment

Training and communication from upper management could use a little work. Work place can be stressful but manageable, very flexible when life gets in the way however upper management are very fair understanding when it comes to this. Plenty of benefits and praise when you do a good job. Little to no help when you are struggling.

Toxic place

Horrible and toxic enviroment to work for. You are buillied everyday, no wonder they have one of the highest turnover of employees. They do not care about the health of there employees, and you are expected to work ridiculous hours.

A job that nearly killed me.

Honestly don’t bother working here. I was a 2IC that jumped up to manager in a few weeks- manager was fired due to inappropriate conduct (so that obviously shows they can’t hire well). Then instead of having an area manager that commended when you did well, she would criticise you. I was expected to ring the store on my days off to see how they were going- even though I would get hourly updates via email. I was rung 3 times in a row on my day off and was told it was an emergency by my AM, to be asked “what’s your current address”. They have their priorities all wrong and think they can walk all over the store managers and 2IC’s. 4 managers and 2 full timers quit in the matter of 3 weeks due to the same area manager. They honestly treat you like a piece of dirt. The discounts are good, but honestly not good enough to keep you there. They do not care, don’t fall for the trap of the ‘culture. They. Don’t. Care.

Pros

40% discount at all accent brands

Cons

Upper management

Terrible

Absolutely the worst place I ever decided to work at! VERY click orientated, upper management is very poor in communication and understanding, the pay was terrible was getting paid minimum wage for an assistant manager role. Never get recognised for any of the good things, no training was provided and they just assume you to know everything, and unreal expectations and no work life balance.

Bad Workplace Environment

Management are really difficult to work with. They don't care about their staff and are very discriminatory when it comes to giving shifts out. The lack of communication is so hard to deal with. Rosters for one week would change at least three times a week. Management don't care about you family life and are only focused on money. If you call in sick one week the next week you won't get any shifts. Avoid working there at all costs. I got told I would get a promotion but instead they cut all my shifts altogether and when I sent emails or had any issues they would ignore it completely.

Pros

Employees friendly, fast-paced workplace always busy

Cons

Lack of communication, Poor management, Inconsistent hours

active work environment

the days were consistent with customer attention which kept the employees busy. I spent most my time there either attending to customer service and restocking, as well as handling the stores banking. The most enjoyable part of the job was the all over active environment, the pace of the workplace was quick and everything was handled with ease. a pro and con to the job was that it was always busy which although was tiring, it kept me busy throughout the day.

Pros

active, enjoyable, busy, refreshing

Cons

tiring, quite repetitive

Loved the staff, hated management.

This was by far my favourite job! The vibe of the store and the people I worked with were fantastic. The incentives were great and it was overall a fun environment. However, once we recieved a new 2IC who later turned into our manager, I hated this job. Not only did she bully me but would talk badly about me to other members of our team. I couldnt even speak to higher management as they would all suck up to eachother and be extremely bias and catty (If your store manager didnt like you, neither would higher management.) I had to quit because of this manager who wouldnt even let me transfer stores.

Pros

Vibes, enviroment, incentives, pay

Poor senior management

Would NOT recommend anyone to work for this company unless you are a young student looking for casual work. For anyone looking for full time work and job security this is not the company for you. You would get paid the same if not more being a check out chick at a large retailer than working yourself hard every day with no team recognition or appreciation. It also has the highest turn over of employees than any other small retailer. (Says it all) a very sink or swim business with tight knit selected groups.

Pros

40% team member discounts

Cons

No training provided

Terrible place to work

Terrible company, no support from any management, the staff turnover is ridiculous. Nothing good to say about my time with skechers. Waste of time and employment

Pros

Cons

High staff turnover, no support from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skechers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Skechers