Slater and Gordon Lawyers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Slater and Gordon Lawyers Employee Reviews

Australia29 reviews
Very high expectations, very stressful and bad communication. You’re expected to do things without difficulties and have them done on time. If not you’re made to feel incapable. Great staff but they don’t last long in the job.
As professionals Slater and Gordon Lawyers is always confident of continue to deliver for our clients the best affordable legal service and help them through their own uncertainties. We have great tools to help each others at work and Assure Programs provide a broad range of services available for all employees. We also have a sequence of training sessions that offers to all staff to assist our well-being and managing our processes and activities. I have personally gained a lot of knowledge thru these sessions. We had our birthdays celebrated altogether in the boardroom regularly, watched the Melbourne Cup, never missed the Xmas festivities apart from the staff meetings. The hardest part of the job was seeing our vulnerable clients who were going thru the pain and hardship time. And the most enjoyable part was the witnessing their happy faces after wining the case with a life changing outcome.
Pros
Xmas Lunches, Birthday gatherings
Cons
Working at Slater and Gordon was a very rewarding experience. The people were very professional yet friendly and the overall vibe of the workplace was enjoyable.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
N/a
I wouldn't work for them again put it that way, work hard but they don't care. If you weren't in their click then you were a nobody.
The salary was the best benefit, receiving decent pay increases every year but you had to jump through hoops to get it.
The company is good. Working at Slater and Gordon has provided great work cultuure with different group and teams. Everyone in the team are friendly and helpful in completing the tasks.
I worked in the litigation team as a temp and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Training for a few days and easily grasped responsibilities. Excellent working environment and would recommend this firm to anyone.
I have enjoyed working with great managers, the only thing i would say is that it's hard to get a promation or a pay increase, and if you apply for another job within the firm you still have to be interviewed
I enjoyed working at Slater and Gordon and the variety included in my day to day roles. I learnt a lot at Slater and Gordon and progressed alot in the time I was there.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have been a pleasure to work for since i started in 2015. The firm have always motivated me to grow my knowledge as i have moved through different levels of my role. I began as a Trainee Junior Accounts Clerk and have since worked through 3 levels to become an Accounts Clerk for which i am very proud of. The role of an Accounts Clerk is a senior role in the team where other staff members come to me for advise and assistance on various matters to do with clients trust accounts, payments, receipting of funds, banking of cheques, reconciling of bank accounts and checking of bank statements.
A regular day for me would involve sorting through the morning mail and distributing work to team members, ensuring appropriate payments are being made with the appropriate authorisation while sticking to an agreed budget, the receipting of funds that have been deposited into various bank accounts, taking cheques and cash to the bank to be deposited on behalf of other organisations or clients, reconciling credits and debits in the bank account in regards to what has been processed through our work system, general filing, handling of petty cash and answering phone queries from staff members or external vendors.

Working at Slater and Gordon has taught me resilience when dealing with disgruntled people, it has taught me how to manage my time appropriately so deadlines are met, and has taught me that hard work and determination will pay off.

The culture at Slater and Gordon is extremely supportive which makes me comfortable coming into work each day.

The hardest part
 - more...
No training provided, however expected to know everything, when mistakes made you are to guess how to fix, as there is no coatching or assistance.
Staff seem to be run down and over worked.

Very rude staff and not welcoming to newcomers.

Poor management.
Pros
Na
Cons
A typical work day consists of providing personalised service to all new or existing clients & a successful outcome for every call.
I have learned to listen well & have a solution for all calls.
Good people working "on the ground" Management however are too far removed from day to day operations.

sometimes, you are not recognised for the extra you do, hard to progress
I was employed as a New Client Sevices Consultant for 5 years and really enjoyed the position.
Although the training provided by the company was minimal, each call that you take is different and also an opportunity to genuinely assist people that really need the help.

The management structure is wishy washy at best and ever changing. If you had a question it always seemed best to sort it out with your own colleagues, instead of getting a vague answer from a ‘manager’.

There always seemed to be rumours that the NCS positions would be moved offshore or reduced and moved to a single state - which is what eventually happened, along with the phasing out of different areas of law in the company.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Bad management
Heavy Restructuring, terrible working conditions with unrealistic expectations for all staff including lawyers.

Would not recommend this place of work to absolutely anyone.
great team environment, good benefits
however they have very low base rates compared to competitors and industry standards and not much opportunity for career growth
Cons
low base rates compared to competitors
A comfortable working space with friendly staff who were always willing to help. Workplace culture was surprisingly less intense than anticipated and it was a job worth looking forward to everyday.
A great team environment. Very family friendly and flexible working hours and rewards for good work performance.

Working with Slater and Gordon allowed me the ability to help people in a less fortunate situation, and to assist them with their claims to ensure they reached the best outcomes in their daily life and future.

A very friendly culture and very social.

Management was always approachable, and willing to guide all levels.
Pros
free lunches, drinks and functions / events
Managing my and authors' incoming emails; making appointments; drafting letters/emails/court documents; filing of correspondence and documents on clients' files; when I commenced work at Slater & Gordon (previously Schultz Toomey O'Brien Lawyers) I had not had recent experience in Family Law but the other staff members and lawyers assisted me with learning the Family Law process and I was confident and proficient in this area of law after only 1 month; the hardest part of my role is wanting to get back-log of work done to avoid extra stress on my authors and in turn myself, but not being permitted to do so for additional pay so I usually undertake these tasks on my own time as I have very strong work ethics and if there is work/administration duties to be done, then I get them done (lunch breaks, before and after a working day or weekends) the most enjoyable part of my role is client satisfaction and ensuring that my authors are organised for appointments, court attendances and tasks they need to attend to on various time limits
Pros
Friendly team environment
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay
Slater & Gordon have been a great company to work for, however the work if high stress and I feel that I need a change as I have worked in personal injury law for 10 years now.
Pros
Rewarding cases
Cons
High stree position
1 day of training given in a trainee position.
Senior legal assistant complains when you get things wrong but complains more when you ask for help.

Hostile environment.

Manager is over critical on newcomer with no experience and expects everything to be perfect from day 1.

If you don't have experience then don't work here because experience will not be provided to you.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, hostile environment, manager doesn't want to help you, no training provided
Good company to work for, I enjoyed my time there. Fast paced legal environment with opportunity to develop an advance within the company. Local office.