Slater and Gordon Lawyers Employee Reviews

Motivating, pleasant and rewarding workplace
Accounts Clerk (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 February 2019
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have been a pleasure to work for since i started in 2015. The firm have always motivated me to grow my knowledge as i have moved through different levels of my role. I began as a Trainee Junior Accounts Clerk and have since worked through 3 levels to become an Accounts Clerk for which i am very proud of. The role of an Accounts Clerk is a senior role in the team where other staff members come to me for advise and assistance on various matters to do with clients trust accounts, payments, receipting of funds, banking of cheques, reconciling of bank accounts and checking of bank statements.
A regular day for me would involve sorting through the morning mail and distributing work to team members, ensuring appropriate payments are being made with the appropriate authorisation while sticking to an agreed budget, the receipting of funds that have been deposited into various bank accounts, taking cheques and cash to the bank to be deposited on behalf of other organisations or clients, reconciling credits and debits in the bank account in regards to what has been processed through our work system, general filing, handling of petty cash and answering phone queries from staff members or external vendors.
Working at Slater and Gordon has taught me resilience when dealing with disgruntled people, it has taught me how to manage my time appropriately so deadlines are met, and has taught me that hard work and determination will pay off.
The culture at Slater and Gordon is extremely supportive which makes me comfortable coming into work each day.
The hardest part
  more... of my job was handling the workload at the beginning when i was new to full time employment and it's responsibilities. This hardship has now become one of my proudest achievements as i feel confident that i can overcome any learning hurdles and grow from it.
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting team members in problem solving and the satisfaction that comes from resolving an issue, no matter the size.
Terrible place to work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC4 February 2019
No training provided, however expected to know everything, when mistakes made you are to guess how to fix, as there is no coatching or assistance.
Staff seem to be run down and over worked.
Very rude staff and not welcoming to newcomers.
Poor management.
Pros
Na
Cons
Good but could be amazing
Legal Assistant - Workcover Department (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 November 2018
Good people working "on the ground" Management however are too far removed from day to day operations.

sometimes, you are not recognised for the extra you do, hard to progress
Interesting Job, but not worth the insecurity of role
New Client Services (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 November 2018
I was employed as a New Client Sevices Consultant for 5 years and really enjoyed the position.
Although the training provided by the company was minimal, each call that you take is different and also an opportunity to genuinely assist people that really need the help.
The management structure is wishy washy at best and ever changing. If you had a question it always seemed best to sort it out with your own colleagues, instead of getting a vague answer from a ‘manager’.
There always seemed to be rumours that the NCS positions would be moved offshore or reduced and moved to a single state - which is what eventually happened, along with the phasing out of different areas of law in the company.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Bad management
Company Going Under
NEW CLIENT SERVICES CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 October 2018
Heavy Restructuring, terrible working conditions with unrealistic expectations for all staff including lawyers.

Would not recommend this place of work to absolutely anyone.
great team environment, good benefits
Legal Assistant - Workcover Department (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC17 July 2018
great team environment, good benefits
however they have very low base rates compared to competitors and industry standards and not much opportunity for career growth
Cons
low base rates compared to competitors
Welcoming
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 April 2018
A comfortable working space with friendly staff who were always willing to help. Workplace culture was surprisingly less intense than anticipated and it was a job worth looking forward to everyday.
Professional, caring and family friendly workplace very nice culture
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 March 2018
A great team environment. Very family friendly and flexible working hours and rewards for good work performance.

Working with Slater and Gordon allowed me the ability to help people in a less fortunate situation, and to assist them with their claims to ensure they reached the best outcomes in their daily life and future.

A very friendly culture and very social.

Management was always approachable, and willing to guide all levels.
Pros
free lunches, drinks and functions / events
Enjoyable & Supportive Family Law Team
FAMILY LAW LEGAL SECRETARY / PA (Current Employee) –  North Lakes QLD14 February 2018
Managing my and authors' incoming emails; making appointments; drafting letters/emails/court documents; filing of correspondence and documents on clients' files; when I commenced work at Slater & Gordon (previously Schultz Toomey O'Brien Lawyers) I had not had recent experience in Family Law but the other staff members and lawyers assisted me with learning the Family Law process and I was confident and proficient in this area of law after only 1 month; the hardest part of my role is wanting to get back-log of work done to avoid extra stress on my authors and in turn myself, but not being permitted to do so for additional pay so I usually undertake these tasks on my own time as I have very strong work ethics and if there is work/administration duties to be done, then I get them done (lunch breaks, before and after a working day or weekends) the most enjoyable part of my role is client satisfaction and ensuring that my authors are organised for appointments, court attendances and tasks they need to attend to on various time limits
Pros
Friendly team environment
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay
Productive and fun workplace with work/life balance
Senior Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD20 December 2017
Slater & Gordon have been a great company to work for, however the work if high stress and I feel that I need a change as I have worked in personal injury law for 10 years now.
Pros
Rewarding cases
Cons
High stree position
Would give 0 stars if possible
Trainee Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria13 December 2017
1 day of training given in a trainee position.
Senior legal assistant complains when you get things wrong but complains more when you ask for help.
Hostile environment.
Manager is over critical on newcomer with no experience and expects everything to be perfect from day 1.
If you don't have experience then don't work here because experience will not be provided to you.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, hostile environment, manager doesn't want to help you, no training provided
Good company to work for, I enjoyed my time there.
Senior Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wollongong NSW29 September 2017
Good company to work for, I enjoyed my time there. Fast paced legal environment with opportunity to develop an advance within the company. Local office.
Troublesome environment
Lawyer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 February 2017
This place is in severe trouble. The company is in financial difficulty and they are well and truly taking it out on their employees. I don't recommend working here.
Least favourite law firm with lowest pay
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 January 2017
Low salary
Slow career progression
Poor management
Employees often feel unappreciated
The company is managed by the Eastern States and management in the West had no say
Friendly clean place to work.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC11 October 2016
Office assistant, filling,photocopying, faxing, checking mail.
Helping with delivery of paperwork, meeting interesting people.
Making of tea and coffees.
Pros
Breaks
Great firm with great values
Senior Legal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 August 2016
I enjoyed going to my job everyday, the people, the culture, such diversity and staff are well treated with benefits such as Melbourne Cup lunches, EOFY dinners, Christmas functions, helping in the Communuity with Charity and participating challenging other law firms in sport and in particular S & G participation in the Chinese New Year Celebrations.
Pros
Just great people
Cons
Over utilised
Perfecto
Enterprize Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 July 2016
Good company to work in and also the environment is very good and people are friendly
The salary packages are not very good but overall I approve the company
You're nothing but a number in a company where $ is all that matters
Senior Lawyer (Current Employee) –  NSW27 May 2016
Very volatile place to work. People leaving, being forced out and retrenched on a constant basis, particularly given the financial downfall of the company.

They care nothing for their employees.

What was once a reasonable place to work has become a sinking ship. Think carefully before jumping on board.
A friendly environment with good people which fosters professional and personal growth.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Melbourne12 September 2015
I work in litigation and undertake document review, preparation of briefs for counsel, attending meetings with counsel and witnesses and attending court.
My work is interesting and keeps me intellectually stimulated.
My colleagues are wonderful and contribute to my professional growth.
Pros
Firm drinks
Cons
Enjoyed working with the people quite laid back for a large professional company
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Melbourne2 May 2013
Slater & Gordon were a great company to work for. Most of the staff were extremely friendly and very easy to get along with. I learned a great deal about working for a large scale and very professional company, my skills were highlighted and I learned a lot about myself in this role which I am very grateful for.
Management were for the most part great, I feel that any staff issues that were brought to attention may have been looked past.
The hardest part of the job was the location being so far from home, leaving at 6am in the morning and not getting home until 7.30pm became quite hard and tiring. The most enjoyable part was definately the staff memebers, not just in my department but the whole company. In the end however I did feel let down and not appreciated as much as I deserved, and for that reason I resigned from the position.
Pros
Great social side
Cons
Commute time