Smile Direct Club Employee Reviews

Excellent
Production lab (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN22 July 2019
Very good. Everyone is nice. Work environment is good. I like Everything about it. I recommend anyone that wants to work there to do so. The benefits are awesome.
Must be good at sales
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI17 July 2019
This job can be fun as long as you are good at sales! If you are not, you can get fired. The managers also have favorites and will help them out the most. The pay and benefits are amazing. Will work almost every Saturday.
19 July 2019

We’re glad you have had a great experience working at SmileDirectClub! Every single team member contributes to the overall success of the company.

Absolutely horrible place to work
Experiential Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN16 July 2019
I was hired on and immediately was asked to start immediately the following Monday and I clearly should have taken that as a red flag from the start. Extremely poor execution of processes and procedures. The turnover that I witnessed during my short time at Smile Direct Club was very eye opening and should be eye opening to the company as well. The concept of 'work life balance' does not exist and is virtually unacknowledged by management. DON'T be fooled during your interview into thinking that this company is as sparkly and fun as they make it seem- it was a complete 360 as soon as I started, this place is a nightmare.
19 July 2019

We appreciate you leaving us a review and are disheartened to hear that you feel that we do not care about our team members. If you have any more feedback about this, please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Productive and learning exerience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX16 July 2019
Sales Experience with good background knowledge on leadership skills. Would recommend working here if you don't want to make commission on sales. They only pay 20/hour.
17 July 2019

We’re glad you had a great experience working with us. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us!

Smile Guide
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Canada15 July 2019
A typical day at work would involve seeing customers, trying to close the sales as well as reviewing videos during downtime and role-playing. I feel that management was not qualified for this position even with retail management experience. Co-workers were nice and it was fun to work there but they would try to give new people the customers that they assumed wouldn't sign on and this would then bring your sales numbers down. The hardest part was seeing a customer that was not a candidate and still having to close the sale. I felt that there was no work/life balance. Worked approx. 5-6 days a week.. 9-7:30 so I would be away from home for an entire day. No weekends off. High turnover rate especially with dental professionals. I didn't enjoy having my appointments recorded so that they could be watched and critiqued. They have great benefits and will give you the pay that you ask for if you are qualified. They also claim that they will hire and promote from within for management roles but this is not always the case. They usually will hire someone who has not been with the company and places them into a management position.
Pros
Fun coworkers, benefits, pay
Cons
Management, No work/life balance, slow days, high turnover, no weekends off
19 July 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and leave this review. We are disappointed to hear about this and would love it if you shared any additional feedback with us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Dont do it
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MI9 July 2019
If you want a paycheck go for it
It’s a sales driven job
Management suck
You are not a dental assistant you are a sales person that read a script
They lie to u about everything when you first start orientation
11 July 2019

We appreciate you leaving us a review and are disheartened to hear that you feel that we do not care about our team members. We have recently implemented more training to support our team members. If you have any more feedback about this, please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

It’s not for real Dental Assistant
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI8 July 2019
Sales position all the way, they thrive on numbers and customers purchasing especially same day. If you’re not getting them you’ll hear about it and be torn apart and they will Fire you .They rank you on sales, if you aren’t at a certain number or percentage you’ll be made to feel like you’re it’s your fault and get attitude from the manager. Not a position for REAL dental assistants, ALL retail. Shop managers to management at higher levels have conference calls and webinars, you’ll watch them pick apart and degrade the guides in the videos, Videos we’re made to film for each willing customer so we can be “critiqued”. We need to follow a set sales script which changes weekly it seems. Managers care about numbers and rank for their store, most have ZERO knowledge of dental, all mostly from retail, but they will be sure to tell you that you’re wrong even when you’re right and have a significant dental background. Be prepared to work long boring hours and weekends. Benefits aren’t good but have higher rate of pay. When Shop isn’t busy which can be often especially during the week, you’ll be made to watch videos and critique other guides. Travel reimbursement is promised, they are slow to do so if they even reimburse you, if they do it isn’t fully. You’ll be made to feel like you have to travel, your hours can be cut without warning due to store needs.
Very slow paced sometimes. But somewhat ok job
Smile Guide (Current Employee) –  Pennsylvania30 June 2019
They always say think like a customer but they don't even think like a customer. What they should do is start thinking like a smile guide. For most part it is basically sales and my main problem is you get paid good yea and there are good benefits but whats the point of getting paid good money when you don't make enough hours. They tell you full time is 30 - 40 hours but the last i checked anything under 35 was part time? I make more here but my check is literally less than my old job and I only made 16 there smh
Pros
Benefits, lunch, employee events
Cons
Communication, how they talk to the smile guides
2 July 2019

Thank you for leaving us this feedback. We strive to make our job descriptions and scheduling details as clear as possible and hope that our trainings provide clarity as well. We’re disappointed that you feel misled and would love any additional feedback on what we could have done better. Please reach out to your People Business Partner so that we can collect feedback and make improvements or email us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Great for quick money if you can tolerate management that long
Arch Prep Specialist (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN30 June 2019
Pro: This place is decent for quick money because they always have overtime. Just make sure it doesn't get to the point where it becomes mandatory.

Con: Not good for career advancement even if you come in with a dental degree. They treat you like trash, I honestly could not find a better word for it.

Management is bad everywhere. They throw you into the actual job and expect you to work like you have been there for months!

The biggest con: You cannot talk to your team captains without them make you feel like you are a burden. They genuinely do not care about your well-being, if you feel absolutely terrible, they will still give you points for something you CANNOT control. Be careful with your points because they don't except Doctor's notes. One of the team captains told me to bring in a note and it will be okay. Turns out HR does not accept them and I got points! They will do anything to get you in trouble!

FAVORITISM is big here. There are people with over 13 points and they still work there!!! People that come in late every single morning.

They treat each department differently. Production will get out a few hours earlier and paid for the rest of the day, yet other departments that are caught up can't leave. This place is literally terrible. They don't care about you.
Pros
Free stuff, overtime
Cons
Major favoritism, bad management, negative environment, loud warehouse
2 July 2019

We appreciate you leaving us a review and and are disheartened to hear that you feel that we do not care about our team members. We have recently implemented more trainings to encourage more conversations around growth and development. If you have any more feedback about this, please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Apply only if you just want a paycheck.
Smile guide (sales person) not dental assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterside, Norfolk, VA27 June 2019
Managment was terrible in my "area". They favoritism top sellers. You're not a dental assistant, you are a sales person. Numbers and percentage matters in this company. I went to school to educate and help "patients" in their oral hygiene. Not to sell and lie to them. My integrity and moral standing was not fit to work at this company. Pay was 19 and included benefits, which was alright, but not worth the stress that came with it. Work balance was not balanced. I hated coming to work. My management team cared more about themselves than their employees. They were firing girls from left to right because they weren't selling aligners. No fair. I got lucky and resigned before they even got the chance to terminate me. I was smart, yet blind to even apply and got hired to this company. Please do research before you apply ladies and gentlemen.
Pros
Pay, benefits, discounts
Cons
Managments, no paid parking, retail, etc.
28 June 2019

If you REALLY care about the dental side....RUN!!!!!!!!!!
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GA26 June 2019
I worked for SDC for nearly 2 years as one of the top performers in my store and was recently let go for canceling & rescheduling patients w/o permission of a manager that we DID NOT HAVE! THIS JOB IS ALL SALES and that is ALL they care about! PLUS, Managers have NO DENTAL EXPERIENCE! I have been an assistant for 5 years and i am a current dental hygiene student and my BIGGEST issue here was that i STILL had to put customers through an appointment EVEN if their teeth were EXTREMELY bad. If a customer came in and told me they were having dental work done soon (crowns, extractions, etc) i would be honest and tell the patient they would have to come BACK into the office to get yet another scan because the aligners they ordered would NOT fit if they ordered them in office that day. After telling a pt that, they are more than likely going to want to reschedule the appointment. They don't like when you are honest with the patients. My most recent incident with them and the reason i was let go, was because i rescheduled a son of a single mom who could not afford the treatment until 6 months to a year from now. The patient called his mom in office after i did the assessment and she asked if i could hold off on sending in his information and reschedule to a later date. And i did just that being that a previous manager (temporary from another state) had me do that before!!!! The most recent manager (THE 6TH ONE SINCE I STARTED) asked me what happened and i told her. She told me i didn't put any notes in for the reschedule. I started this job September 2017 and i have NEVER put notes  more... in for rescheduling patients and didn't know that was a requirement until she told me that. The ONLY thing i was told to note by all the other previous managers were canceled appointments. After that incident the current manager went and dug up other reschedules without notes so she could fire me! She said absolutely nothing about the other one until the day of my termination. [Verbal warning, write up, final warning, THEN termination is the what the paper work says. I was written up, the terminated...the other two were never done.] However, I wasn't surprised since she was moved to our shop after Misconduct & harassing her employees at her previous shop. All in all, i CONSTANTLY felt as if i had to choose between what was right for my patient and making a sale. And that is NO position a REAL dental professional should have to be in.  less
28 June 2019

We appreciate you leaving us a review and are disheartened to hear that you feel that we do not care about our team members. No one should feel this way and we would love any ideas or improvements on what we could have done to resolve this. Please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Not what you think
SmileGuide (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL24 June 2019
I’m a Dental Assistant and was hired thinking I was helping people get straight teeth with clear braces. I have found out that they don’t care about the health of the persons teeth they just want to make a sale. The managers just care about their store out performing in sales over the other stores and spends all their time messaging each other through out the day of our performance, and if someone doesn’t want to purchase that day and wants to wait the managers yell at us about it. Came into work sick and new manager made me stay and talk with a fever and severe sore throat. . They will put people in aligners with broken teeth and gum disease. Don’t buy or work here
2 July 2019

Enjoy meeting and greeting people.
Part- time Brand Marketing Ambassador (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX23 June 2019
My job entails being a salesperson and working on a commssion. It is a rewarding job because it is in the healthc are industry. I meet people and display excellent customer services.
2 July 2019

Overwork their employees. Poor work life balance
Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN18 June 2019
Poor work life balance. Poor leadership. Doesn't really care about their employees. Quick to act without having all the information. Poor execution of processes and procedures.
Cons
Unorganized Management Team. Quick to act without having all the correct information
19 June 2019

Horrible Place to Work
Corporate Employee (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN17 June 2019
SmileDirect Club likes to state that they are a diverse company. The diversity is only at the warehouse and the call center (hourly team members). The compay celebrated National Pet Day and they will celebrate Pride, but they refuse to celebrate Marting Luther King Day or Juneteenth. The compay refused to celebrate Marting Luther King Day or Juneteenth because it's "to controversial".... Really?
Pros
Cons
Diversity at corporate, poor leadership, no work-life balance
20 June 2019

This is Cheryl DeSantis, Chief People Officer. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We strive to create an environment where all of our team members thrive and feel celebrated. We are always looking for new ways to recognize and celebrate our team members. I would be happy to speak with you and my door is always open. Best, Cheryl

Left Me With A Frown Instead Of A Smile :(
People Support Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN14 June 2019
There is so much I could say that I’m not sure where to start.
The company is in a growth stage and things are chaotic. There is no training whatsoever for your role. You must come in running and don’t even think about messing up. There is no structure. There were many times that we’d have to create a solution out of thin air for situations that happened that should have already been thought about and documented.

I feel that the company is more worried about image rather than their team members. For example, the benefits plans are not up to par with other local organizations, but the company can somehow throw expensive events and parties.

Turnover is incredibly high. I witnessed so many people come and go that I became numb. I’m also disappointed in the lack of diversity of leaders.

There is no work life balance. I was still expected to work while on PTO. I received calls while boarding planes, on planes, while getting off planes when everyone knew I was on PTO. I was called on weekends and after hours. I was still expected to work while I had the flu. I have even been called and texted regarding work while on FMLA and people were aware.

I feel like I gave my all to SmileDirectClub and when I began to feel burned out and experience personal issues, no one cared.

I honestly feel like SDC will become a great organization to work for when things stabilize.
Pros
Free food, cool location
Cons
Benefits, lack of balance, chaotic changes
28 June 2019

This is Cheryl DeSantis, Chief People Officer. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to create an environment where all of our team members thrive and have work life balance. I would welcome any additional ideas you have on how we can improve and please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Cheryl

Run
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Carolina12 June 2019
This is a job anyone can do this is not dental assisting this is a retailer job cause they only care for sales. The manager has no knowledge of dental so why hire them? How can you tell a person how to do there job and you can’t do it. The manager should be dental assistants and the workers should be people interested in getting into the dental area if anything. The pay is great since you do no work tho.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Retail managers
14 June 2019

Awful.
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Virginia6 June 2019
Terrible company right from the start of my employment. They make everything seem great in the beginning but did not mention it was all about sales and that full time is 30 hours a week. The pay is great but not enough to deal with the two faced management. They also hire racist managers and will fire people for no reason then come up with a totally ridiculous reason why. I am so happy I quit before being fired for something dumb. They treat the smile guides terribly. If your sales numbers are low they will make you lie to customers to get them to purchase at the appointment. Oh and the product is terrible as well. As an employee I did treatment with the aligners and it completely messed up my bite. I now I have an anterior crossbite. How can you sell something that does not work? Thank you Smile Direct Club for making me realize all sales companies are a complete joke.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Work environment, management, the whole company

Growing company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CT5 June 2019
the typical day at SDC consists of looking over reports and metrics to ensure all team member's are providing the best customer service to drive successful results.
The manager has autonomy to run the business in the best interests of the company and make sound business decisions.
Smile direct club is growing faster than they can keep up with at this point which leads to daily weekly changes in operating procedures, reporting and operations
upper managers tend to have to much responsibilities in overseeing large territories to be able to spend time with field leaders to develop them on a career path
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
no direct movement in career path, selection not based on performance
7 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value every piece of feedback we receive, and we know it takes time out of your busy day to complete!

Does not respect employees
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 June 2019
The company does not care about your availability and will schedule your shift whenever they want. The management was horrible and completely disorganized. They promise excellent benefits and coaching to reach bonus goals and then fail to deliver. The hourly wage is not worth it and I would not recommend working here to anyone who wishes to have their time and talents valued and respected.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Direct Club. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9