Smokemart & Giftbox
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Smokemart & Giftbox Employee Reviews

I was only there for a few weeks as a Christmas casual, but I worked at 2 different stores during the time. All of the permanent workers I met seemed angry and stressed out with higher management. So much that they would often vent to me about the area managers. I would never work there permanently.
The only good thing about working here was the pay, and as a causal that was if you were given hours.. ridiculous sales targets and would be belittled for no achieving them.. or if you can’t cover a shift you were screamed at and embarrassed infront of co-workers if you want to enjoy you’re job don’t work here.. so glad i am free of this place!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Unless you're ready to be made to feel like dirt at work. Area managemers are super arrogant and unappreciative towards staff members working in their stores. Insufficient training and communication. Gained nothing from this job besides my mental health deteriorating. Every 1 star review you read about working at Smokemart is very true. I was very desperate for work and didn't think it would be that bad - it really was.
Pros
Literally nothing besides the fact that I gained some employment
A company behind the times. Staff treatment is horrendous. Poor payment for an excessive workload. Mixed communication from upper management. No work life balance and poor pay. Work excess hours for free.
Pros
Friendly staff in stores
Cons
Top heavy with no real leadership
unreliable management and high staff turnover expectations are very high and unrealistic which cause long hours with no pay unsafe work practices which cause injury
don't do it, i was desperate enough, dealt with bullies, doing 46 hours a week, then it got cut to 3 hours every sunday, that's it. Rude, arrogant, nasty!
Cons
With the new management, superiors are always in contact with the sales team. They are full of encouragement to boost the sales. I love my pop-up store at Marrickville and later at Roselands shop.
Absolutely hands down the worst company I have ever worked with and experienced in my career. Terrible bullying tactics used by all above Store Management level with no care or empathy for those below them. They are somehow not held accountable for their actions and everything they do seems to magically go unnoticed... (Hmm, odd..) - QLD has the lowest Team Member, Management and Upper Management retention rate across the nation and it is no wonder with the "People and Culture" Manager at the helm.. (steering the state into oblivion one terrible hire at a time..) Training plans for new Team Members (or any potential, er, 'victims') are haphazard at best, with no follow up. They've got Inexperienced "know it alls" leading the state from "Area Manager" roles (who, surprise surprise had a huge lack of training.. seeing a pattern here?) who don't quite understand the concept of answering that thing in their pocket that rings... and rings... and rings.. and rings.... or checking that pesky outlook app on their laptop that dings... and dings... and dings... Er, communication anyone? Not a concept this company have quite mastered yet (and they even admit to it..) You want stability and support? Look elsewhere. They wouldn't know whether they're Arthur or Martha on a good day. They make up their own rules as they go along and then bully you all into them like they're herding cattle into the Hurty House - and don't even think about "mooing" whilst you're getting herded, or you'll be taken straight to the place we don't speak of (aka the Ivory Tower) and read your last rights, or, - more...
Pros
Thursday (pay day)
Cons
Management, Pay, Stability, Training, Support
For such a big company, they pay their staff next to nothing. Staff are expected to do ridiculous amounts of unpaid over time. There’s absolutely no work life balance consideration. If you’re not a store manager upper management don’t care about you. Extremely micro-managed and no communication between anyone. Staff treat customers and each other terribly I wouldn’t wish working for this company on my worst enemy
Poor management, low pay, zero loyalty. Safety is also not considered in this job role. Put at risk every single day. Every man for himself culture. Do not bother applying
Pathetic wages pathetic hours horrible team members management are bullies and expect to work hours and not get paid for them. Too many inexperienced team members with little to no knowledge on how to do the smallest easiest tasks but they are put in management roles instead of experienced staff that have been in the company years and deserve the position. Stressful two faced place and it’s all about money
You will be expected to work 5 ours alone without a toilet break. The higher up management don't care about you and your needs. The only good thing was the customers.
Smokemart is a cruisey job and most of the team members a quite laid back. Training is provided and you are never made to feel dumb for not understanding a process
pay did not reflect responsibility expected, management and 2IC changed 4 times and I was only at the company for a few months. Way too much responsibility as soon as I started and no appreciation for me going above and beyond.
HR woman doesn’t know what she’s doing warehouse manager has really no idea Whatever you do don’t ask for more then 20 hours a work The interview was like your a criminal
Pros
Lunch and home time
Cons
Going there
They didn't properly train me and expect to know stuff when they didn't teach me plus I rarely get rostered. They only gave me one 3 hour shifts a week. Do not work here.
One QLD ASM is awful don’t ever ask for a day off for medical or personal reasons or any reason really you need to be available when they want you to be, if you have a day off and have plans cancel them you can’t say no or they will want to replace you instantly for being unrealisable or instantly cut your hours to make you realise your a number not a person. What you do good means nothing and they will never notice what you do bad you will your head chewed off forever till you quit 😂
Expect to get treated like a number not a person. If you’re unlucky enough to be in a store that has low customers you’re going to get ripped into all the time. Management is awful, a lot of very nasty people, and communication is worse. Be prepared to get warnings over things as simple as buying yourself a drink when you’re in a shift alone.
Pros
Good pay, awesome customers
Cons
Literally everything else
Just wow.. if you want to live a happy life dont work for smokemart & giftbox. Management is a total mob of dysfunctional pen pushing bigots, life is better without Smokemart and giftbox
Avoid working for this company at all costs, they are so unfair about how they treat the employees and you’ll leave in a couple of months, they don’t care if you’re dying and need the day off they will still expect you to work.
Pros
Competitive pay rate
Cons
Management sucks
From the beginning they were slack with communication, I had to chase everything up after I had my interview. Started off with decent hours, manager of the store I was in didn't like training new people and so I received minimal training which then led to that store palming me off into another store to 'fill' in for someone else however ended up being kept there and only got 1 rostered shift a week between 3-5 hours. They will cut your hours but then hire a heap of new people. New store spoke about training me up properly so I could carry out all tasks however that never happened plus they couldnt even be bothered to show me where the bins were located in the shopping centre but then gave me a written warning when I failed to take the rubbish out. There is apparently a policy where family members cannot work together however the store I got moved from hired one of the ladies children and they still work together to this day. The girls are all really good friends outside of work so be prepared for favortism. If you work in Rockingham, one of the ladies has absolutely no respect and will degrade you in front of customers and fellow employees which no one does anything about. Manager of another store gets the casual girl to pass on her messages to me regarding jobs I never done properly instead of approaching me herself. I really enjoyed the job when I was left in the store by myself and I made a couple of friends out of it so that's probably the most positive thing about the job.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Everything else