Smokemart & Giftbox

Smokemart & Giftbox Employee Reviews

Australia82 reviews

2.3Work–Life Balance

Don’t waste your time

Loved my team and my customers, was only the real reward of the job. Other then that for the money your paid and the lack of support and follow through from upper management when it came to stock control and work place health and safety, let alone very noticeable allowances of one thing for this person and another for that person was a joke. No work life balance.

Pros

Great customer relations and team culture

Cons

No real support from upper mamangement. Not work life balance, no follow through from upper management, daily work place health and safety concerns and stupidity in stock allocation.

Bloody abysmal

Worst place I've ever worked, tell you one thing, do another, promises promises, all lies, work your butt off get nothing in return, they expect the world of you and give you zero recognition, no communication between higher ups and lower management, you are on your own

They will destroy your life

Don’t expect the fun times to end when you clock out upper management went out of their way to make sure I didn’t secure another job.Employees wanting to commit suicide or crying everyday. It’s unreal.

Cons

Disgusting people

Great Company

Easy fun great staff and management good work life balance help when required training is amazing past paced never boring always something to do. Chilled and relaxed.

Waste of time

I’ve never had a job that I’ve hated as much as I hated working here. The pay is decent but the workplace culture is ridiculous. Not worth the hassle, I would rather be broke than wish the job on my worst enemy.

Productive and fun workplace.

I have worked for the company for a while now and absolutely love it. I really enjoy the diversity of the different roles I get to do. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement and everyone is very supportive.

Under appreciated, unrealistic expectations

Worked many hours overtime to meet upper managements ridiculous expectations, never got paid. Bare minimum wage. Expect no support from upper management, they prefer to stand around smoking and talking smack about other people in the company than actually doing their jobs. Expect you to run a store as well as working in their warehouse without any staff support. Feels like highschool again with all the gossiping and drama, even at the conference its a fight to see who can brown nose the bosses quicker. If you either dont smoke or dont flirt with upper management you wont go anywhere or get used and abused until you crack then youre made to look like the crazy one. Staff turn around is one of the worst in the industry, they employ under qualified and promote people that around suited to that position then wonder why people keep leaving.

Pros

Customer relationships

Cons

No support, drama

Bad management

Unrealistic targets that just aren't possible. Unhealthy competition between stores and staff. Expect to work long hours and be on the go non stop for zero appreciation. Training is minimal. Some managers are wonderful but others are useless and Expect the staff under them to carry all the weight and do their job for them.

Terrible management, you are just a number to them

Very fast paced and competitive, abuse from customers about the constant rising price of cigarettes.Not much training and they don't offer to train you about new products.Won't hire the amount of staff they actually need, casuals having to work 10 hours alone and close for lunch, yes I did this.Management is an absolute mess, from casual staff to state managers and CEOs.It's a good job if you absolutely need the money and some customers are lovely, but not good enough to stay.

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, no break sometimes, not paid for overtime, you are just a number in this company

The atmosphere working there was the best staff were all friendly

I loved the customer service as we got our regular customers so nice. The staff are all great to work with,the itself was so amazing always busy and lots to do

Expect too much from their employees including not respecting time off & not giving holidays within reason.

They will add shifts day of, wait until the start of the week to give your roster. Holidays are very hard to get accepted no matter what for & your shifts will be cut. Some weeks you’re expected to work 30+ hours, the next you may get 3 hours for several weeks. Management is not fair & do not care about their employees including if they have covid.

Good job, some staff are incompetent and drag the rest down.

Inability to progress in small store. Unfortunately not enough hours available. No career progression. Can also be quite boring at times when the store is quiet.

Pros

Friendly people

Cons

Average wages

Dont bother

Except to walk in with no training what so ever and run a store on your own on first day. No coverage to go to the toilet, no fridge for lunches, no training no communication. Excepted to use your own time to open and close the store which can take upto 30 minutes. Pay is below average for the position as 2IC.

Pros

Cons

long hours, no toilet breaks, no training, extremely low pay rates

Working in many different smokemart stores around Queensland, I can easily say I enjoyed working in each.

I would have stayed with the company if my hours didn’t get cut back. I was working in one of the older stores so there was some cosmetic things to fixOver all i loved working for this company is so fun to work for and the customer relations you start to build or amazing.

Underpaid, overworked, exceptionally poor culture.

Unfortunate change of leadership lead to a complete and thorough cultural collapse. Meritocracy? Forget it. Prepare for the Hunger Games. Best avoided.

One of the worst places I have ever worked at.

Awful place to work. They are constantly breaching fair work practices. No pay beyond the close of the store, but are still expected to do a lengthy EOD process. No pay to set up the store for open. They are constantly short staffed due to how upper management treats their staff. Constant staff turn overs. You are expected to live and breath the job.

Pros

10% discout

Cons

Awful upper management, terrible hours, no over time, no work/life balance

Great staff

Great staff, friendly atmosphere! Most higher up managers are great and very helpful (sadly not all). Busy environment so days go quickly and there is always something to do.

Pros

Days quick

Cons

Can get abused by customers

I loved the people I worked with

If you are a hard worker and fast learner this place is for you, the people that you work with can be greatIt can be really stressful but if you talk to management about it you should be fine 🙂

I would Rather drink OFF MILK

Avoid working with them. Please eat a rotten egg or a piece of mouldy bread instead. Draining and disrespectful. As the saying goes ‘you are definitely just a number’.

Pros

Cons

Abuse from customers and head office is not on your side, migraines every time you work

Stressful

Too many people with there noses in the pudding assistant manager trying to impress manager manager trying to impress area manager area manager trying to impress owner just one big circle no help casual workers bottom off chain and treated like it 👎👎👎👎

Pros

Cons

Sell sell sell beat last month's sales 👎👎👎

Productive and fun

Fantastic company to work for. Great hours, friendly staff, good money. Extensive training for tobacco and gift ware. Very flexible working hours. Great management.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokemart & Giftbox. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about Smokemart & Giftbox in popular locations