Smokemart & Giftbox Employee Reviews

Overworked and underpaid no overtime expect no work life balance
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Western Australia1 May 2019
Iam a sales assistant currently at smoke mart and gift box the tasks are unrealistic the manager is miserable expected to work loads of overtime for free.
Plus chase up wholesale customers, we are expected to use our phone for work calls as the landline doesn’t work.
Head office isn’t supportive area manager does nothing.
Miserable work place I’m trying to leave!
Not what I thought it would be work for free open and close not paid for it, company won’t even pay for stocktake additional hours tight and scabby
Pros
Customers
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, working for free!!
Don’t even bother total waste of time! No overtime expect to use your phone for work
Manager store (Former Employee) –  Hurstville NSW1 May 2019
Absolutely shocking worked there for a few months, wasn’t told about wholesale cold calling and canvassing for new clients, use of personal mobile phone for wholesale customer orders even though your told you cannot use your phone at work!!!
What the company policy says and what they do are 2 different things.
Store manager is also a sales rep job.
No paid overtime if a staff member can’t cover the shift you need to with no extra pay even though the agreement says they will they will not!
No support left alone to do the lot!
Very unorganised and not supportive environment not advertising correct job description.
Be prepared to be on call on days off and holidays to do rosters and get tobacco orders and pass them on to the store!!!
Worked here for a few months and then left would rather be poor than work here!!!
Poor Managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pilbara WA30 April 2019
Management is very poor. If they feel that you aren't performing they will cut your hours to bare minimum to push you out, rather than helping you improve.

Plenty of nepotism. Others will be favoured even if you are completeing your tasks while other workers are left to their own devices, doing things like texting while behind the counter in full view of managers and customers.

You only get paid for rostered hours. So if you have to stay back to close the store properly you have to give them half an hour of your time for free. Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.

If you don't already have anxiety, this place will certainly help you obtain it.
good place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW28 April 2019
a good place to work, workers are nice, but never told me that they didnt want to keep me on they just took me off the rostering system. overall not bad but they could of handled letting me go better.
Pros
easygoing
Nasty not a good place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD26 April 2019
Don't really like being manhandled by management. Breaks are woeful. Manager is highly intimidating.

Just nastiness from store manager. Is hard to deal with.

No friendliness

Toxic place to work

If you make a mistake your dead.

Lack of shifts

If you work beyond your finish time too bad you have to clock off when your shift ends regardless of whether your finished

Only give 3 hour shifts.
Pros
Breaks are bad and very short
Cons
3 hour mins
Do not work for this company!!
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW30 March 2019
Unless you are literally about to be homeless and have no other way to get work DO NOT WORK HERE!!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Smokemart & Giftbox is a toxic horrendous environment. The management are so rude and disrespectful to the staff. They will belittle you because you have not reached THEIR head office targets. The head office are so clueless and change their mind frequently on store operations, with no direct communication to the store until you are being bullied about wrongful operations.

I had a friend who developed depression and another anxiety due to the mistreatment from head office and store level management.

Please, please, please, do yourself a favour and work anywhere else!!
Pros
Literally none, not one single thing
Cons
Management, especially within head office. Clueless, thoughtless Jerks.
Terrible company
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensland8 March 2019
Awful company to work for. No progression. A lot of regional and state managers quit within 6 months. Scum customers and rude staff. Don’t waste your time!
Pros
Casual rate of pay
Cons
Terrible management
Great culture, supportive management, opportunities for advancement
Store Manager - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Bunbury WA6 March 2019
The culture is great. Team are highly motivated and dedicated. Management is approachable and supportive. Opportunities for growth, further training and development. A large variety of stocked products attracting a large variety of customers- it’s fun!

The work life of a Manager involves-
Achieving Set Sales Targets
Stock Control, Sales and quality management
Customer service
Compliance and safety management
Staff coaching and development
Merchandising
Rostering
Pros
Good jobs for good people
Cons
No $ bonuses/incentives for achieving targets
Is it possible to give less than one star?
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA1 March 2019
I cannot stress enough how terrible of an environment Smokemart and Giftbox is to work at! Do yourself a favour and do not apply, unless you are truely desperate.
Management here is horrendous, I have worked in retail for years at several different companies and never have I ever been made to feel as terrible as I did here. They treat all their staff with disdain, and make them feel incompetent. The daily/weekly sales targets are completely ridiculous and every staff member will be raked across the coals and insulted when they inevitably do not meant them.
I’m have been made to cry on multiple occasions by management (as have all the girls I worked in store with). Any effort you put in will never be enough, you will receive no encouragement what so ever. You will only be paid for your rostered hours not the hours you physically work, you will be expected to get to store 15 minutes early every day and stay an minimum of 20 minutes late and will not be paid for it, however if you are more than 1 minute late your pay will be deducted.

Never have I work somewhere where the staff turnover rate is so high. The customers are really the only good thing about this place, regular customers can be the only decent thing in your day. But also prepare to be yelled at, spat at, have things thrown at you on any given day, familiarise yourself with your shopping centres security number because some of the customers are horrible.
Disgusting Management- DON’T WORK HERE!!!
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Australia19 February 2019
Accepting the job for Smokemart was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. The management is toxic, bullying like behaviour. I have had stock thrown at me, yelled at in front of customers, and constantly pressured to achieve ridiculous sale targets. nothing is good enough for these people. For your own sanity, DO NOT WORK HERE!! Throughout my time working in the company I am yet to work or come across one other person who actually likes working there.
Pros
Good team to work with
Cons
Management, no understanding that you have a life besides work, no support, underpaid
Good job to have when studying
Senior Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashfield NSW6 February 2019
easy job with good work/life balance. management in the company could improve. good salary and hourly pay and overall it is a really fun job to work in.
Extremely disappointed.
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 January 2019
Was supposed to do training for 2 weeks, turned into 2 months.
Was messed about with shifts from the start.
Was made to do a store close by myself when I wasn’t trained enough to do a close on my own. (Which May I add I was NOT paid for until 2 months later when I had to follow it up.)
Some of the coworkers are horrible, and very dramatic which is not needed in a place of work. You are judged for the slightest things and it’s ridiculous.
Co workers are supposed to be supportive not rude when you make a mistake.

When shifts are cut back and you ask why you are ignored or shoved to the side.

Have never posted a review on a workplace but this had to be done.
Don’t bother applying for smokemart the only pro is the customers!!
Pros
Customers.
Cons
Managers.
Horrible management and no benefits whatsoever really.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuggerah NSW3 December 2018
Management does not care about any of their employees, glad I did not spend any more of my time in this workplace. Mainly weekend work, no communication between any management or staff memebers, not so pleasant customers. I wouldn’t recommend this workplace at all unless you’re absolutely desperate. They were very against tattoos, piercings and makeup, although they changed slightly and allowed them towards the end I had to wear long sleeves and bandaids to cover my tattoos everyday in the beginning.
Pros
Was fun for the first few months, okay pay rate.
Cons
Management, no communication, working weekends.
Miserable workplace and no allocated break room/area
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW South Coast NSW5 November 2018
I would not recommend working for this company.
They don't pay you for hours you've worked, just the hours you're rostered.
The management us sub par (at best). There is little to no organisation in the company which shows in the tacky displays.
They verbally make promises to you, especially regarding hours, then they go back on their promises. They continually cut your hours and tell you there us no more available work, then hire someone else to take the hours.

The management is miserable so they take it out on the casual sales staff. 10/10 would NOT recommend.
Cons
Overworked, underpaid
Company changed in the last year good to bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensland3 October 2018
No progress in company.
In the last year the company has changed so much now they are
Unfair to older staff members who are constantly loosing hours and have worked a number of years on fixed days and hours. and able/can run a store. No gratitude or promotion.
Rosters constantly changing. No security.
Pros
Only pro to job is the customers
Varied and challenging workload.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverton WA16 May 2018
Working at SmokeMart and GiftBox provided a varied and challenging workload. I was responsible for merchandising, sales, customer service, stocktake and wholesale distribution of tobacco products to contractors.
I learnt to balance the cash register, complete the banking and order stock for both the gift and tobacco areas of the store.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Long hours.
Fun place to work at, awesome staff
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tweed Heads NSW14 September 2017
Every time I step into the store I have a huge smile and can't wait to start my shift...No day is the same and the customers make my day.Wonderful company to work for and having the best staff to work along with helps heaps with your day too.
Pros
Colourful customers
Cons
Long days
on your feet for 8 hours, not much encouragement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bunbury WA14 September 2016
start the day with admin. order stock, rosters, put away stock, delegate jobs for that particular day, not having a place to sit down and enjoy your well deserved breaks, I really like our returning regular customers.
Small in number yet effective and easy going staff to work with.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW30 March 2016
On a typical day at work i would be dealing with;
Stock Control/Transfers
I learnt;
Time management
Conflict resolution
Rapport building
Most enjoyable part of the job;
Meeting and greeting people from all walks of life. Empathy towards all.
Pros
Getting to know the local and regular customer face to face and having a hearty chat.
Cons
Long hours. Unruly behaviour of some people.
Productive, fun, hardworking environment
Part-Time Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parramatta, NSW2 November 2015
Great company to work for. Great with staff. Great management and training. Supportive team. Customer focused but also fun and energetic environment to work in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokemart & Giftbox. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6