Smokemart & Giftbox
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Smokemart & Giftbox Employee Reviews

Australia40 reviews
An average entry level job
I was only there for a few weeks as a Christmas casual, but I worked at 2 different stores during the time. All of the permanent workers I met seemed angry and stressed out with higher management. So much that they would often vent to me about the area managers. I would never work there permanently.
Horrible experience
Poor management, low pay, zero loyalty. Safety is also not considered in this job role. Put at risk every single day. Every man for himself culture. Do not bother applying
Satisfied
Constant support from area, state and HR managers makes this job super easy. Always something to do, so you are never bored. Fun learning about new products as they come into the store. Friendly competition between all stores keeps it entertaining. Fair pay rate. Stable hours. Love this job!
Bullying mentality from management and they put workers against each other then wonder why they have issues with staff not getting along
Pathetic wages pathetic hours horrible team members management are bullies and expect to work hours and not get paid for them. Too many inexperienced team members with little to no knowledge on how to do the smallest easiest tasks but they are put in management roles instead of experienced staff that have been in the company years and deserve the position. Stressful two faced place and it’s all about money
Fun work place. Bad Management
You will be expected to work 5 ours alone without a toilet break. The higher up management don't care about you and your needs.

The only good thing was the customers.
Summary
Smokemart is a cruisey job and most of the team members a quite laid back. Training is provided and you are never made to feel dumb for not understanding a process
extremely high turnover
pay did not reflect responsibility expected, management and 2IC changed 4 times and I was only at the company for a few months. Way too much responsibility as soon as I started and no appreciation for me going above and beyond.
Storeperson Mansfield
HR woman doesn’t know what she’s doing warehouse manager has really no idea
Whatever you do don’t ask for more then 20 hours a work

The interview was like your a criminal
Pros
Lunch and home time
Cons
Going there
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smokemart & Giftbox?
Do not work here
They didn't properly train me and expect to know stuff when they didn't teach me plus I rarely get rostered. They only gave me one 3 hour shifts a week. Do not work here.
I love my job HATE the company
One QLD ASM is awful don’t ever ask for a day off for medical or personal reasons or any reason really you need to be available when they want you to be, if you have a day off and have plans cancel them you can’t say no or they will want to replace you instantly for being unrealisable or instantly cut your hours to make you realise your a number not a person.

What you do good means nothing and they will never notice what you do bad you will your head chewed off forever till you quit 😂
Just awful
Expect to get treated like a number not a person. If you’re unlucky enough to be in a store that has low customers you’re going to get ripped into all the time. Management is awful, a lot of very nasty people, and communication is worse.
Be prepared to get warnings over things as simple as buying yourself a drink when you’re in a shift alone.
Pros
Good pay, awesome customers
Cons
Literally everything else
Worst company
Just wow.. if you want to live a happy life dont work for smokemart & giftbox. Management is a total mob of dysfunctional pen pushing bigots, life is better without Smokemart and giftbox
Terrible company to work for
Avoid working for this company at all costs, they are so unfair about how they treat the employees and you’ll leave in a couple of months, they don’t care if you’re dying and need the day off they will still expect you to work.
Pros
Competitive pay rate
Cons
Management sucks
Good pay
From the beginning they were slack with communication, I had to chase everything up after I had my interview. Started off with decent hours, manager of the store I was in didn't like training new people and so I received minimal training which then led to that store palming me off into another store to 'fill' in for someone else however ended up being kept there and only got 1 rostered shift a week between 3-5 hours. They will cut your hours but then hire a heap of new people. New store spoke about training me up properly so I could carry out all tasks however that never happened plus they couldnt even be bothered to show me where the bins were located in the shopping centre but then gave me a written warning when I failed to take the rubbish out.
There is apparently a policy where family members cannot work together however the store I got moved from hired one of the ladies children and they still work together to this day.

The girls are all really good friends outside of work so be prepared for favortism. If you work in Rockingham, one of the ladies has absolutely no respect and will degrade you in front of customers and fellow employees which no one does anything about.

Manager of another store gets the casual girl to pass on her messages to me regarding jobs I never done properly instead of approaching me herself.

I really enjoyed the job when I was left in the store by myself and I made a couple of friends out of it so that's probably the most positive thing about the job.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Everything else
Bad but good
I really enjoy working but I’m tried of being treated like I’m nothing, ASM only care about themselves and making friendships with the mangers, if you aren’t a manger be ready to be treated like a garbage. Early starts and sometimes late finishes without getting paid for it.
If you do think about applying and get the job... watch your back in this company because they are all snakes.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Terrible management and bad hours
lovey respectful customers
Not much nice to say at all. ☹ They (head office) need to come down to ground level where it all begins in store with customers expectations and their views on good customer service and what keeps them loyaly returning.
Pros
NICE customers
Cons
unpaid time extreme
Overworked and underpaid no overtime expect no work life balance
Iam a sales assistant currently at smoke mart and gift box the tasks are unrealistic the manager is miserable expected to work loads of overtime for free.
Plus chase up wholesale customers, we are expected to use our phone for work calls as the landline doesn’t work.

Head office isn’t supportive area manager does nothing.

Miserable work place I’m trying to leave!

Not what I thought it would be work for free open and close not paid for it, company won’t even pay for stocktake additional hours tight and scabby
Pros
Customers
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, working for free!!
Don’t even bother total waste of time! No overtime expect to use your phone for work
Absolutely shocking worked there for a few months, wasn’t told about wholesale cold calling and canvassing for new clients, use of personal mobile phone for wholesale customer orders even though your told you cannot use your phone at work!!!
What the company policy says and what they do are 2 different things.

Store manager is also a sales rep job.

No paid overtime if a staff member can’t cover the shift you need to with no extra pay even though the agreement says they will they will not!

No support left alone to do the lot!

Very unorganised and not supportive environment not advertising correct job description.

Be prepared to be on call on days off and holidays to do rosters and get tobacco orders and pass them on to the store!!!

Worked here for a few months and then left would rather be poor than work here!!!
Poor Managment
Management is very poor. If they feel that you aren't performing they will cut your hours to bare minimum to push you out, rather than helping you improve.

Plenty of nepotism. Others will be favoured even if you are completeing your tasks while other workers are left to their own devices, doing things like texting while behind the counter in full view of managers and customers.

You only get paid for rostered hours. So if you have to stay back to close the store properly you have to give them half an hour of your time for free. Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.

If you don't already have anxiety, this place will certainly help you obtain it.
good place to work
a good place to work, workers are nice, but never told me that they didnt want to keep me on they just took me off the rostering system. overall not bad but they could of handled letting me go better.
Pros
easygoing
Nasty not a good place to work
Don't really like being manhandled by management. Breaks are woeful. Manager is highly intimidating.

Just nastiness from store manager. Is hard to deal with.

No friendliness

Toxic place to work

If you make a mistake your dead.

Lack of shifts

If you work beyond your finish time too bad you have to clock off when your shift ends regardless of whether your finished

Only give 3 hour shifts.
Pros
Breaks are bad and very short
Cons
3 hour mins
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokemart & Giftbox. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3