South32
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

South32 Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

A company in transition

South32 is an organisation that is well intentioned and is finally moving away from the "Big Business" mentality and embracing a "mid-tier" mentality. Culturally, South32 is a great place to work, with good leadership, good culture and a fairly strong vision. This is evident in messaging and focus on growth projects. South32's more imminent problem is managing a very low margin portfolio which is very price sensitive, whilst pushing a growth agenda and relying on systems which are "Big Business" centric. Projects designed to reduce work have been paused, which in my view is short term thinking. This misalignment has resulted in a dangerously lean organisation with a high number of overworked people and multiple restructures. You will learn a lot at South32, but until this work imbalance is resolved, South32 will continue to experience low tenure and significant change. Sometimes you just need more people, plain and simple.

Pros

Salary and Bonus, Working from Home Flexibility, People Focus, Growth Focus, Focus on Values

Cons

Long working hours, Systems designed for large organisations, no visibility on pay, high number of restructures, overworked teams

Political

Probably the worst company culture I have ever experienced - management are totally disconnected from their employees and do not demonstrate the company Values. It’s run like a kindergarten, very small minded and very petty.During my exit interview HR readily acknowledged that “most employees were very unhappy and would leave if they could”.I’m just happy I left, good luck to them.

Pros

I left

Cons

Management, culture, politics, tone deaf.

toxic management

the Boddington Bauxite mine was once a great place to work at but poor management decisions have been costly.those poor decisions now see salaries and benefits being rapidly erodedHR department is typical 1970-80s snakes and dogs

Pros

close to Perth

Cons

Poorly chosen & Toxic management

Poor leadership

Whilst I enjoyed my career in mining, mid and upper management looked unfavourably down on you , bullying is rife not only at management level but also at ground level, plenty of favourite's and pety squabbling, even if you are right you are wrong

Pros

Cant think of any

Cons

Mid and upper level management bullying

Bureaucracy and bullying rife

Toxic workplace. Command and control management - no trust and empowerment of people. Bullying senior managers allowed to destroy the confidence of all those that work there and are rewarded with promotions.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Toxic bureaucratic culture

Toxic Workplace

Worst place i have ever worked management had no idea what to do in procurement. Culture was the worst i have seen in any place i have worked including overseas works

Pros

open working hours

Good place to have worked prior to CORONA impacts

Company had a good culture until it was hit by the impacts of CORONA on the metal prices. Currently all projects, contract staff and non essential services suspended.

Excellent family friendly roster

A job that I looked forward to turning up to each day. FIFO was a bonus, the accomadation excellent and supervisors spot on!! Plenty of opportunity to progress and the life style on an island excellent.

Pros

7 on 7 off roster

Cons

Delayed flights on fly out day.

Creating Procedures for Appin Mine

This is a great company to work for great life balance and conditions. Great Health Care Plan and working associates. Working for South 32 was an incredible experience enabling me to improve my knowledge and life style working experienced

Career advancement is not encouraged by management, and the culture can be at times isolating.

At South32 the opportunity to learn in areas outside your current skills set is not encouraged and management can be at times not in touch with what is happening at ground level. Work/Life Balance was great.

Jobs at South32