Southern Cross Care
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at Southern Cross Care: 126 Southern Cross Care Reviews

Australia126 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Used to be good. Now its bad

No system for working. No appreciation. Salary too low. Staff are overworked and always understaffed. Management doesnt care about employees or residents only filling up beds.

Pros

Co workers and residents are good

Cons

Management only cares about money

If you want to end up depressed go for a job at southern cross .

Don’t over care for the residents . Management don’t support u they don’t care about the staff or residents.I love my job in aged care until I worked at southern cross , mentally it’s not a good place to work

Pros

Cons

Depression and

Toxic workplace

No tools of the trade supplied, very frugal with funding. No help or mentoring, thrown in the deep end,sink or swim. Very hard to rise within the company. They don't value their employees!

I worked in Southern Cross Care Duhig Village, it's the best aged care company I have ever worked

The staff ratio for the company it's the best, six AIN for 34 residents in the morning and 5 AIN in the PM shifts, and the company it's nice and clean

Cons

the staff like fighting

Poor communication between office and workers.

Southern Cross only care about themselves and not the person being cared for or the support workers. They over work support workers and don’t care about what goes on in the programs.

Pros

Cons

To many to mention

Very stressful and managers micromanage

Managers were not on the same page with managing one would tell you one thing then the other yelling at you for doing it. Very stressful and unorganised place. Managers are very spiteful and daily calls to yell at you

Pros

Work car and good hours

Cons

Unorganised and abusive

Toxic work culture

Had to often work by myself, using equipment that requires 2 people as I was on shift with a mate of the boss who was sitting in the office having coffee or out the back having a smoke.

Pros

Cons

Working by myself, bullying, poor work practices, toxic environment

Poor work ethics and toxic work culture

Never recommend any nursing staff to join this company. Managers are insulting and the work culture is overall poor and highly toxic. The management was ignorant to any criticism and overall non supportive.

Pros

Elderly residents

Cons

Not an acceptable place to work or be a resident

Not a nice place to work like all aged care places they go about how they are there for the Residents and how we need to advocate for them just a load of absolute lies. Like all aged care Management don’t care about their Residents and definitely don’t care about the workers that’s why there’s such a high turnover it’s all about money. The only people that care are the workers.

Pros

The relationship you form with the Residents

Cons

The lies you have to swallow

Hostile work environment

Very hostile work environment. I wish that I was never hired by the company. Have tried my very best to be friendly and also hardworking but that goes unappreciated.

Pros

Cons

Long hours and no hand over! When requested for a bit of training or notes, always got an angry answer.

The utmost unsettling and toxic place to work.

By far the worst company ive worked for. The facility has been opened for just over two years and in that time there has been 8 differnt FMs and 8 different DMs all whom have resigned within a couple of months. The RNs are the worst RNs ive ever had to work under, with next to no knowledge of their job role, and all whom have no ounce of empathy towards the residents. Staff are lazy and uncooperative, they have no basic knowledge on how to care for those so vulnerable, and are incapable of understanding simple taks. This place is so toxic and absolutely terrible for a persons mental wellbeing.

Pros

Clocking off at the end of shift

Cons

Does not represent the vlaues it says it stands for

Co-workers were great but very fast turn over. High level Management are distant, rude and uncaring. Many of the nurses are reported whenever something goes wrong and they get the blame for being overworked and have poor systems.the most enjoyable part of the job is the contact with the clients and their families.

Pros

tax benefits

Cons

high level management and CEO and board

Management have no idea.

Management have no idea, staff are underappreciated, frequently short staffed, no support comes from hierarchy if or when there's an incident. Care staff though are excellent at their jobs just a shame they don't get better recognition for the job they do.

Pros

Care staff are supportive and caring

Cons

Lack of leadership, support, continuity

Extremely stressful and unapreciated

Working in the office there they have a very clicky group. I was never treated as part of a team. The management lie about staff to get them terminated

excellent experience in Southern cross, except new challenges

I did my placements in southern cross, learned new experience, except new challenge, all team members are very experienced, they provide excellent quality care to the client

Good team work

A good working environment. Looking after elder clients is always a challenge. Good communication skills is needed when working with the elderly. Good team work.

Bullying culture from management down to cleaning staff

A walk-in from the department would reveal lack of consistency with documentation. An audit would reveal staff working outside their scope of practice. Management do not address culture issues, instead they bully hard working, dedicated staff. The hardest part is getting management to address the issues noted in the many incident reports logged. The most enjoyable part is assisting the lovely residents.

Very good

I enjoyed southern cross care very much they were very kind and supported me when I needed it I am very grateful for my time spent with scc and would recommend to anyone

Enjoy my time

Friendly atmosphere - Great place to pick up practical skills in a cafe - Clear tasks and responsibilities. Excellent scheduler that is very understanding and easy to work with. Easy clients to do and great clients to work.

Not a good place for supportive management

management was terrible, constantly changing and absolutely no support from them. Workplace culture was incredibly low. Great divide between management and working staff

productive and fun working environment

great staff, a lot shifts available and they are flexible with your schedule. working environment is faced paced, fun and productive. multiple shifts across all they're sites and can pick them up online or by phone call.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Cross Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Southern Cross Care
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?