Southern Cross Community Healthcare
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Southern Cross Community Healthcare Employee Reviews

Australia35 reviews
Featured review
Southern Cross Community Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Having worked in other industries before moving into community care I had to transition and adapt to the challenges that working in the community presents.

I read with interest the reviews already posted and can see there are certainly people with a less than favorable view. What I have observed and experienced (being involved with community care now for over a decade) is that community care is not for everyone. It deals with the broadest range of people from all cultures and preferences. People who access support are also people who are some of the most vulnerable in the community which means that anyone who works within this industry has to be able to adapt to an ever changing landscape - it is not as structured as turning up and clocking on and off each day. The work can sometimes be challenging but at the same time be very rewarding because without the thousands of people who turn up each day these vulnerable people would not remain living at home.

Within this ever changing landscape I have found this organisation to be one of the most progressive and supportive organisations - particularly for those who have reached out. Not every organisation is perfect, however in this organisation whenever a problem, complaint or difficult situation is identified or presented it is taken seriously and actioned - they have a focus on continually improving and to tailor support and services for each of their clients.

Unfortunately not every complaint or concern gets heard and some fall through the cracks, however this does not mean to say that this organisation is
 - more...
Pros
Supportive environment, varied day-to-day work - no two days are the same, opportunity to learn and grow, quality driven organisation
Cons
working with the general community can be challenging at times, but every job has it cons
Always advertise but never hire. No one bothers to look at the applications. Auto reply comes that you are not selected.
Worst disability company ever!
It is very nice working in this company. They have a very professional staff and kind managers. I really recommend this company because they help me by guiding me how to be a good support worker.
You will be bullied by other workers and management, these people are horrible to work for, they use employees for a skape goat wherever possible and WILL walk all over you if they see fit, about them at all costs they also trade under the name southern cross support services. They will also lie to cover themselves
Very flexible work hours
Get to meet lovely people

I enjoy helping people and seeing how happy your clients are is very rewarding

Only negative is they don’t pay for travelling
Excellent company to work for . Care Assesses are easily contacted and a very supportive.
Management can be contacted by email or phone . Question are answers promptly
Learnt what tracheostomy on a child meant. When suction would be to keep clear for oxygen into the lungs. Keeping equipments for oxygen clear off extra fluid so it’s not traveled into lungs

And that consistency of care and love is beyond what diagnosed was! Client is well and living to their fullest today.
The best company I’ve worked for and very good communication with all managers great clients always interesting and a joy to work with management always willing to help with any concerns
Don't get sick and don't care about your family and you will do well with this company .
I had been diagnosed with an illness , I pushed through still caring for my clients, management told me

They said I was lying even when I gave them proof from doctor.
Pros
Non
Cons
Busy and rewarding and enjoyable experience. Company looks after you.
Management are great and happy to help at any time.

hardest part was keeping up with everything
Pros
Free Lunches birthday day off
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Southern Cross Community Healthcare?
I have been working with SCCH for about a year. I have learned so much about high need patients, doing training at Prince of Wales and Macquarie Hospital.
I enjoy working with my co-workers, they are great people.

My Community manager is great, very supportive. Other management staff are friendly and understanding.

Overall I’m happy working for them.
Pros
Lots of online learning and encouragement to keep my own learning process
Cons
More opportunities to get more shifts
I worked for this company for 3mths, and bullied for 3mths, two ladies I worked with were so vile, client was lovely. Management awful. Not recommend this place at all
Pros
Cons
Constantly bullied
I was caring for the elderly in the community, at first it started of great, management was caring and understanding of my needs as a carer and a uni student.
Management new of my uni studies from start as I had informed at my interview

When it came time for me to go on my clinical work placement for my uni studies, management pretty much bullied me into leaving as they didn’t have anyone to fill my clients.

I was told at my interview that you got paid an hourly rate, travel rate and then time spent travelling. The time travelling is a lie which I never got.....
Pros
Cons
Uncaring management
Was accepted for a position, fully disclosed my availability, put me through the orientation, then when it came for training, I was deemed unsuitable as the training time was outside my availability!!!! I had been completely open from the beginning and they said it was fine, they would work around me!!
I enjoyed my time at Southern Cross Healthcare. My duties included home care for elderly clients, personal care, shopping, meal prep and social support.
Is fun place to work for and the participants are really great. Always flexible and help in allocating shortest distance. Really great coordinators to work with.
Pros
Very poor roster admin communication from SCCH from the outset - I repeatedly had to request essential information that had not been provided. Other management communication is not well coordinated. There is no job security or possibility of advancement - rosters can be cut even when supposedly agreed after negotiation. There is a current workplace agreement between SCCH and the NSW Nurses & Midwives Association, however most staff are not aware of the conditions and rights set out in this agreement. Payment is always a full fortnight in arrears - this is not standard nor should it be acceptable.
Pros
Some nice and helpful members of staff and co-workers.
Cons
Poor communication & management, no job security, payment a full fortnight in arrears
Great team/programs, excellent people to work with, both supports workers and clients.Great feeling knowing you are able to help the clients with their day to day needs/routines, its a great experience. Though it is physical work as well.
southern cross care provided a great work life balance and supported the time I needed at the time for university. As someone that has never had children myself working for a a beautiful family taught me a lot about supporting people of different ages.
No support given to workers when required. No action taken when clients are aggressive or innapropriate. No job security at all.
Benefits would be flexible hours, good penalty rates if you're lucky enough to get weekends or public holidays.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Irreguar shifts. No job security. No support from management.
A typical day at work is one of organized chaos. I may have things planned, but there were curve balls which changed all that. You had to focus on the needs of the client to which I feel I did. Obviously sometimes they wanted a mile when they were entitled to an inch.
Pros
Lunches brought for us occasionally
Cons
On call
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Cross Community Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.