Southern Cross Community Healthcare
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Southern Cross Community Healthcare Job Security & Advancement reviews

Australia42 reviews

Clear
3.3Work–Life Balance
2.9Job Security & Advancement

No room to progress or advance. Management fail to suport staff when required. Clients are mosty lovely, although when abusive, not repremanded t all.

No support given to workers when required. No action taken when clients are aggressive or innapropriate. No job security at all. Benefits would be flexible hours, good penalty rates if you're lucky enough to get weekends or public holidays.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Irreguar shifts. No job security. No support from management.

Very rewarding job if you like helping people with disabilities and elderly Plenty of work hours Great work life balance Option to work own hours and weekends Great flexibility

Pros

Work flexibility

Cons

Not paid for travel or kilometre

Poor management

Avoid this company if you find a helpful and supportive company for your career.The management do not care about workers, they care about ONLY clients and the MONEY! No communication, No education, need to manage yourself.They do not review the "Duties plan" which needs and vital, they should find who willing to do tasks WHATEVER client wants, not just "SUPPORT WORKER."Be careful of the contract you sign, as they have structured in a way to avoid employee liabilities

Pros

Cons

Bully, negligence

Management only care about themselves

Southern cross pay less than any other DSW jobs. You are employed as a contractor (not casual). No room for professional growth. No job security. No opportunities for permanent positions or promotions. Lots of cliques within group homes. Bullying and favouritism. Clients are not looked after properly, particularly when they don’t have family or a close support network. The clients are forgotten about and left sitting in their own waste for days. They will offer no help or support when you ask for it; but they beg you endlessly when they need you to do something that benefits them.

Pros

Not much

Cons

Bad pay, bullying

Pathetic company

Always advertise but never hire. No one bothers to look at the applications. Auto reply comes that you are not selected. Worst disability company ever!

Good

It is very nice working in this company. They have a very professional staff and kind managers. I really recommend this company because they help me by guiding me how to be a good support worker.

Avoid!!

Was accepted for a position, fully disclosed my availability, put me through the orientation, then when it came for training, I was deemed unsuitable as the training time was outside my availability!!!! I had been completely open from the beginning and they said it was fine, they would work around me!!

Poor communication & management

Very poor roster admin communication from SCCH from the outset - I repeatedly had to request essential information that had not been provided. Other management communication is not well coordinated. There is no job security or possibility of advancement - rosters can be cut even when supposedly agreed after negotiation. There is a current workplace agreement between SCCH and the NSW Nurses & Midwives Association, however most staff are not aware of the conditions and rights set out in this agreement. Payment is always a full fortnight in arrears - this is not standard nor should it be acceptable.

Pros

Some nice and helpful members of staff and co-workers.

Cons

Poor communication & management, no job security, payment a full fortnight in arrears

Great long term career prospects with the opportunity to learn and grow

Having worked in other industries before moving into community care I had to transition and adapt to the challenges that working in the community presents. I read with interest the reviews already posted and can see there are certainly people with a less than favorable view. What I have observed and experienced (being involved with community care now for over a decade) is that community care is not for everyone. It deals with the broadest range of people from all cultures and preferences. People who access support are also people who are some of the most vulnerable in the community which means that anyone who works within this industry has to be able to adapt to an ever changing landscape - it is not as structured as turning up and clocking on and off each day. The work can sometimes be challenging but at the same time be very rewarding because without the thousands of people who turn up each day these vulnerable people would not remain living at home. Within this ever changing landscape I have found this organisation to be one of the most progressive and supportive organisations - particularly for those who have reached out. Not every organisation is perfect, however in this organisation whenever a problem, complaint or difficult situation is identified or presented it is taken seriously and actioned - they have a focus on continually improving and to tailor support and services for each of their clients. Unfortunately not every complaint or concern gets heard and some fall through the cracks, however this does not mean to say that this organisation is -

Pros

Supportive environment, varied day-to-day work - no two days are the same, opportunity to learn and grow, quality driven organisation

Cons

working with the general community can be challenging at times, but every job has it cons

A great job with a frinedly family

The family I supported also supported me which is where it became a boundary issue. I became quite unwell while working there and left due to illness. However eventually recovered.

Pros

Cons

None!

Great organisation to work for

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for this organisation, I have had the opportunity to learn a great deal from them. The management are professional and supportive. Great pay and work life balance. I have found my work with this organisation to be very rewarding and would highly recommend them.

Work in my client's own home offering more professional added care.

I rate my present employer at a very high level but as have since done and completed my Certificate IV in Pathology I really would much prefer to branch off into this more professional field, as it will no doubt enhance my career and job satisfaction. My typical day at work is to provide part time assistance in the caring of a client with a severe disability which has given me the added ability to care for and handle clients with an enhanced degree of professional caring. In this job my only co-worker is the wife of this client and as I have also had many placements in hospitals in the Philippines where it was necessary for me to relate to both the Nursing Staff and the Medical Officers I have had the satisfaction of being able to work very effectively as a part of a Team. The hardest part of my current job and the previous hospital work placements was the physical effort that was necessary to carry out all of the necessary work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that the effective work I have carried out, which has quite often been commended and appreciated by all concerned..

Pros

Part time work when my Children were very young and needed my constant care.

Cons

Very short hours of employment each day which enhances my travelling expenses.

Personal Care Attendant

Already reviewed this company, this company was fairly organised although it had it's challenges.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Cross Community Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question