Specsavers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Specsavers Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you have a good spirit team. Can be quickly busy and stressful. Mostly two parts in the job ( first pre-test and second the optical dispense)
I was belittled and humiliated on several occasions by one of the owners. I became depressed and now have a long term illness because of the stress. The hourly rate is the worst i have ever been on and I was #12 to leave and there have seen been 4 more - this is in a year.
Pros
Cons
Bad hourly rate, treated badly
The sort of place where personality is mocked and loyalty is insignificant. Sales tactics involve constantly worrying about meeting KPI's instead of meeting customer needs. It seems as if workers are financially manipulated into staying. You can't look for a job if you're paid barely enough to live. In addition, Specsavers contracts state that nobody can give references.
Pros
Gives experience in retail, sales, clinical and administrative areas
Cons
Encourages fake personalities and ripping off customers
Management can be good if you stay on their good side, making sure you complete tasks as required, etc. However, if you ever do decide to bring up a grievance or issue with the business (especially when it comes to money) management will definitely hold a grudge.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Petty
Directors are super polite and always ensure you have a break. Professional,polite ,top of the range eye scanners for us optometrists. EVERY PATIENT gets thoroughly examined and that is peace of mind for me at the end of the day.
While working at specsavers I felt bullied and also felt there was a lack of training. It was confusing as to who was in management position and I felt as if some employees were treated very poorly with shifts being cut if these issues were voiced.
constantly taught by team members, management and optometrists on how to conduct business inn administration, clinic and delivery of optimum customer service
This was a fast paced team environment within a retail store. Training was provided on an ongoing basis and I worked well and happily in the Ballina branch for 1.5 years part-time. Since a full time role didn't become available, I elected to transfer to a different store. Though these are franchised businesses the management style and procedures differed substantially from store to store and the focus shifted from client satisfaction to achieving high sales targets. While I consistently achieved these, being discouraged from offering the level of customer service I was accustomed to reduced the sense of overall fulfilment.
If you enjoy extremely fast paced, unorganised, lack of team spirit environments.. then this is the place to be. You will be expected to carry a big load, so you must be of strong mind and character and resistant to people who have lack of values for the older generation . Management will turn a blind eye to unprofessional behaviour because no one wants to think their company is not doing the right thing! You will have to be assertive with your own learning as everyone passes the buck. If you can overlook all these unsavoury characteristics, then this job is for you. Good Luck!
The work environment is great but advancement can be difficult unless you’re interested in studying optical dispensing. They can employ too many casuals so part time is best but I was not offered that even after being on similar hours for several years (have kids so needed set hours for daycare). Overall not a bad place to work
I loved everything about my job at Specsavers, I wanted to learn, learn and keep learning, it was my career job, I finally had a job I loved, was good at, work was never a chore, I loved getting out of bed to go to work every day. We would have a team huddle every morning we called it a cuddle. Such an awesome place to work your brain is always kept active. I felt alive. .
I have had no hours for 2weeks.. Being a casual after being a full time worker is so terrible. No stability and can’t plan anything daily as I always put work first. lost all confidence and probably what I have learnt has been slowly getting forgotten. Good family environment to work for. They make you feel welcome.
An enjoyable workplace with friendly other team members. Can be challenging at times but overall it is very rewarding and allowed me to push myself and try new things.
Worked in Bendigo. The female director bullies those who don't kiss her behind. Talks about the other directors behind their backs. Laughs to other team members about other workers. Asks other team members to support lies she makes up. Laughs about the optometrists child who has a disability. Makes it clear that if we report her they won't believe us. She acts so sweet and innocent in front of the bosses though.
Fantasic place to work. The staff in my location were fantastic. very easy going and easy to get a long with. Can have a laugh but they know when to be professional.
Working at Specsavers has had the greatest impact on my work ethic and has taught me various skills which other jobs didn't. I learnt how to communicate what the needs of the patient were and how we can work together to provide the best vision for the customer. Knowing that my work influences someone else's health in a positive way has been very rewarding
I worked with Specsavers for 9 years and thoroughly enjoyed my time there, the company really cares about its employees and there is very much a culture of continuous learning
I have worked for Specsavers for 4.5 years now. It's the best job i have ever had. There is a very good work/life balance, great workplace culture, awesome support and wonderful training in place.
What I learned from my time as a dispenser for Specsavers was that the company itself was quite happy to pass all complaints and grievances to the franchisees-irrespective if they were the source of the complaints. Fellow dispensers and optometrists were lovely, wonderful and totally fun to work with. The manager, however, was a bully plain and simple. I have never been spoken to nor seen people spoken to the way she did, it resulted in tension between us as I refused to tolerate it and what's worse is that the business was well aware of her lack of communication skills and respect and still championed her! I know of another former employee who was told it was her fault that she felt bullied by the floor manager, so disgusting. The retail director also was very crass and often made me very uncomfortable, and constantly alluded to inappropriate subjects. As a company, Specsavers do an honourable service in providing eye care and spectacles for those on a budget - however the culture of the business was exhausting as an employee and I'm glad to no longer work there!
Pros
Efficient payroll department
Cons
Long hours, demanding rosters, having to be accountable for poor quality frames
A typical day at work was never boring, the fellow staff were great to get along with and customer service was always pleasant. I learnt a lot about the eye as the optometrists were always happy to explain things.
Pros
End of year dinner
Cons
Not enough shifts
The thing that stands out the most to me about specsavers is their strong focus on developing staff members. There are training programs and online learning portals to advance our skills. I've never been in a company where the staffs receive so much support to help them excel at their tasks. The colleagues and managers at my store are super friendly and approachable, and make you feel home when you're new. I'm really grateful for them. The work itself is such a fun mix of clinical and retail, and that's what makes it different from regular retails. We get to sell products not because we want to make sales regardless of if customers need glasses or not, but we sell glasses that will genuinely help customers see better and improve their quality of life. That's what makes my job much more meaningful. In general, love the culture, love Specsavers' focus on their staffs and customers, love the hours too. Wouldn't mind building a career here at all.
Pros
culture that genuinely care for customer, hours flexible around lifestyle, continuous support in learning
Cons
Slightly inconsistant roster but acceptable as a casual