Specsavers

Australia90 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Found 90 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,510 reviews

Low pay nice people

The pay isn’t worth it for how much you are doing. The nice colleagues and manager are the redeeming factor though. Of course this will depend for each store.

healthy work culture with the ability to progress up in the company

Healthy culture with flexible hours. Always provided resources for any employee to grow internallyhardest part- volumework culture, people, and care for staff

Pros

free lunches, bonuses, work hours

Cons

high volume of work

Specsavers insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Inclusive work environment

Specsavers union needed for staff protection

We have had multiple staff changes since I have been employed. All those who have quit and left have expressed the same issues; toxic management and store directors who care more about money than our health ( we are made to feel guilty when we fall sick), a non-existence belief in mental health, $1 dollar yes $1 dollar pay rises, little to no bonuses despite being one of the busiest stores in the state, last minute roster changes ( casuals and part timers have no shifts so full timers have been feeling the pressure of late), snarky and dismissive responses from store directors and management when we talk to them about issues we see in store, unfair wages ( too much work for little pay and/or different amounts between stores. As stores are franchised some pay less than others).

Pros

Sometimes free drinks such as coffee

Cons

Long hours, wages, store directors and management, lack of transparency etc

Destined to crash and burn

This company has become a horrible franchise to buy into. I have been here a very long time, once upon a time it was a profitable business and head office were a lot better, they actually used to care about their partners. Since covid they’ve dropped the ball massively. New stores opening at every corner, they’re literally over saturating and killing their own market. Just force you to do expansions and refits to benefit their own top line, but then the partners are left with nothing but a big non-profitable mess to clean up. I will now be buying into a competitors model, they actually seem to have the right idea about what to do and care about their people.

Horrible

Worked there for 3 years, management were horrible and will throw you away when you’re not needed anymore, you’re only a number to them and will throw you away at the drop of a hat

Pros

Friendships

Interesting/ fast-paced

Interesting and engaging as you are learning. Can be very fast paced and tiring. Each store is a different environment one store may be a lovely environment another may not.

Pros

Days pass quickly, engaging

Cons

Tiring

Average place to work at

Long shifts with occasional periods of nothing to do but when it’s busy the challenging element of the job keeps your mind sharp. So much content to learn to do your job well! Owner is not the nicest person to work with.

Hard work, awful pay

The pay is awful for what me and other team members deserve considering the amount of information and responsibility placed upon myself and the others

Great place to work!

Good place to work at. Great people, overall good salary. Friendly management team. good career development opportunities. plenty training. can be pretty busy sometimes due to the retail nature

Very chill

Very chill place to work. The management is very good there. Will always give you time of if requested atleast 2 weeks beforehand. The staff is very good, everyone gets along. Lots of things to learn and fair chunk of downtime when its quite can lead to just standing around.

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Can be very quite

Interesting job but wouldn’t stay here forever

It’s an okay job, I just feel like we are currently understaffed so I have to come in for more days to help out. They do provide training as well which is a plus.

Cons

Long hours especially on Thursdays

Fun place to work but questionable management

All specsavers are franchises so my experience very well may differ to others. I love my co workers! They helped me much more than what management did when it came to training & have always been supportive. My main issue with them was the manager was very rude and reactive and not understanding whenever calling in sick or asking for mental health days. I was always receiving great feedback about my work ethic and service but it never felt worth it if I was treated poorly when ill.

Pros

Great co workers and fun job

Cons

Good team and work life balance

Good team and work life balance. Management is very understanding and very supportive. Good diversity of patients and a lot of unique cases to keep things interesting

terrible workplace and pay

typically stand all day long, if u are the pre-tester that day then good luck not being depressed for staying in a dark room for 7 hours. no career progression. doesnt care about casual workers at all. calling them in anytime and giving only 1 hour notice, then told them off after 1-2 hour when they arent needed anymore/

Prepare to want to die

I worked at 3 specsavers stores, my third and final store was the worst one. It was a store in Newcastle and my mental health hit an entirely new low, the management is below the line - and the workers are on another level. There was a handful of nice ones but they also hate their lives. There was no appreciation shown in this store- I had to leave before I had more anxiety attacks.

A good team but feels like someone always looking over your shoulder ready to criticize

Fast paced sales team with lots of responsibility given to every team member no matter what they are good or bad at. The culture here is everyone must be able to do every job so many things get done in many different ways with no clear instructions on how to do them. Unclear at times which procedure is correct as different advice from different team leaders. No chance to follow through with a customer - developing a rapport seems to be discouraged. Some senior staff members are always looking over your shoulder and ready to criticize yet rarely offer praise when due. Weekly huddles congratulate those who sell the most but unfair handing out of dispensing roles means some are often selling while others do more pre-testing.

Pros

Friendly co-workers, cutting edge technology, free specs every year

Cons

Harsh reviews and reactions to jobs with poor outcome yet no chance to remedy situation yourself

Good discounts (friends and family) horrible pay, demanding management and even more demanding customers

Really great staff discounts (friends and family) but the pay wasn’t worth it and the job was very demanding with little help from head office. Toxic management as well

constantly stressed

unrealistic expectations to get everything done extra fast without sacrificing customer experiencenever a moment of peace, and minimal breaks, so you're left exhausted

good, love working here

good, love working here. very fast-paced environment, but a caring team who makes working worth it and more enjoyable. shifts are manageable and full of new experiences. management is amazing

Fun, great experience, very low pay

My time at Specs was very eye opening. I have grown so much and learnt so much about my own work ethic and optics, I will forever be grateful. However, the pay isn't great and the advertising can bite the Optical dispensers in the butt. Overall, it's a great starting point (well, my store was not sure about others)

Pros

2 free glasses a year, great team

Cons

Low pay, long hours

Great place to work depending on staff

I started my specsavers journey at 1 certain store that was very negative and there was a lot of bullying and wasn’t a great environment to work in, I now have transferred to a store that is like my family and I couldn’t be happier.

Pros

Busy yet rewarding

Cons

Can sometimes be overwhelming

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specsavers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Specsavers with

• Specsavers
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?