Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews

I Love the experience of buiding things on this job.
Weir Group, Temporary Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX26 June 2019
This was a different experience for me because it allowed me to use my hands, something I really hadn't done before. I was rather nervous at first, because it was a different role that I had ever worked in.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX1 March 2019
The SO Culture is great but management and training needs improvement. KPI's get changed all the time and favouritism plays a big role. It is who you know not what.
Benefits are great!
Managers only care about themselves plus intense Micromanagment
Recruiter/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO20 December 2018
When I first started everyone seemed great! Then people were being let go left and right. Even when the employees where hitting the mark. At round up managment was passive aggressive. They often tell the employees how to hit numbers and if they didn't hit the numbers based on their suggestions they would say something different.

There were times they had to step back in the recruiting role because they let people go so often they didn't have enough people to fill jobs. They didn't hit their numbers and made up tons of accuses why.

The work life balance is awful. If you want to go for a 2 hour doctor appoinment you have to take a whole half day off instead of a couple hours. That doesn't make sense if they are playing a numbers game.

It was a micromanagent environment. They watched every move. There was no fun in the office throughout the day. Nobody was able to connect much or kid around. It was just a serious environment. I am a hard worker and need to be structured but employees should get togther and be able to talk things through especially on accounts the collaborate on.
Pros
100% Paid health care, free week off at Christmas
Cons
Micromanged, Work life balance, and lack of relationship building internally
Would work there again if requested
Chef (Former Employee) –  Trinadad15 November 2018
Contract international Chef Position. Excellent managemnt support fro Houston Office. Worked in Trinidad on drill ship. Easy management for traveling and support.
Enjoyable company to work for
floor hand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX28 August 2018
Suitable company with competitive pay along with competitive benefits. Would recommend this company for temporary employment. Good management and across the board the pay.
Contract
Floorhand/Roustabout (Current Employee) –  Gulf of Mexico15 August 2018
Spencer for the most part has been able to provide steady work, but I don't desire contract work to be a full time job for me. New rig each time is something I don't particularly care for either.
This company has to be joking
None (Former Employee) –  Southern9 August 2018
This company has to be joking. The pay they are offering for a frac hand is laughable. Only the most desperate operator would even apply at that rate. They must think "Mexicans" down south will work for pennies. I don't work here nor would I apply. Don't waste your time with them lol.
Fun Environment
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX7 August 2018
Young staff and great place to begin your professional career as a recruiter. They offer a great mentoring program. Numbers and sales-driven culture.
Pros
very cool office
Work place training
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO24 July 2018
Double standard in safety requirements & training. Supervisor not informed of safety procedures on plant sight. Mgr's unaware of plant status. Poor management.
What absolute Jokers. A bunch of kids in a Play room
Smart Meter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 June 2018
What a load of incompetent set of individuals who cannot do there job. literally a bunch of kids with professionalism, work ethic, who's words have no integrity No organisation whatsoever.
Pros
struggling. Pool table at office.
Cons
bad staff, false promises, fake job ads. do not really have i work loads to offer people. waste of time.
Contracts and Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX17 May 2018
A good place to work but not many opportunities to grow within the company. The individuals in the company are nice and fun to work with. The company tries to have activities to build the team.
Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX10 May 2018
Working at Spencer Ogden is the same as working for any drilling contractor. The only things that is different is that your are responsible for handling your travel too and from work and slight pay cut.
Trainee Recruitment consultant
Trainee Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 May 2018
Great place to work, good incentives and pay, the only reason I chose to move on so soon, is that the job role wasn't what I was looking for at this time
Cool place to work but no type of training for the interns
Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX24 April 2018
Spencer Ogden was a cool place to work, but the biggest problem was that they had no training for the interns. You had to manage figuring things out on your own.
Pros
Nice employees, very interactive
Cons
no training, had to pick up things on your own
Spencer Ogden is ok to work for
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX19 April 2018
Spencer Ogden is ok to work for as long as Drilling Companies need Contract Personnel to fill in Positions or Rig upgrades are taking place and Work Rotation is according to the Drilling Company
They did give me a job.. Thanks
Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NC10 April 2018
A great company.. Gave me a job when no one else would.. I really thank them for that.. Built a great team of guys that enjoyed the work and we got alot accomplished
Underpaid & Micromanaged -- Not worth your time.
Recruiting Consultant & Business Development (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO28 February 2018
I have 5 years of recruiting experience and I have to say Spencer Ogden was by far the worst agency I've worked at.

If you come from an environment with any structure or expectations set for both recruiters and account managers then you will pull your hair out working here.

If you are thinking about interviewing w SO reach out to multiple previous employees on LinkedIn and get their opinion first before interviewing.

Leadership is not supportive and are most concerned about looking out for themselves. There is a very micro managed approach to leadership stemming from a lack of confidence, power hungry, and inexperienced "managers" in this office.

To couple the inexperience, pressure from management trickles down on every level creating hostile and unpleasant environments to work in and "culture".

The lost 4 out of 5 Regional Managers in 2017. The company is a hot mess. There is no advancement. The pay is substantially underpaid, commissions are terrible. 90% attrition with the company & the Denver Office, which is substantially higher than industry average even for recruiting. You pay for parking downtown.

You do get off early on Fridays and the health benefits are good. But those are literally the only 2 perks.
Pros
Friday 1/2 day, great health benefits
Cons
substantially low base, low commissions, micromanaged, pay $200+ a month for parking out of pocket, 90% attrition, not much structure
loved working there not much room for advancing
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saudi Arabia24 February 2018
I loved the places i traveled too. The money was great and i enjoyed the people i worked with and for. The only thing i wished was better was the opportune city to advance. I guess i stayed in one spot because i know I'm good at what I do. Also i only stayed a year because the contract was up on the site and negotiations to extend it was not handled fast enough for people to be able to stay on.
Pros
great people, good money
Cons
chances to advance
avoid at all costs
smart meter fitter (Former Employee) –  england4 February 2018
promised the world at the intrerview. spent at lot of money training to become a smart meter installer. Don't actually work for Spencer ogden so don't see what there purpose is. This is one huge con do not make the mistake I made..... really stay away this company promise you all sorts and tell you exactly what you want to hear. I thought I had struck lucky when I got offered the job after training. I really wish I could turn the clock back. And I'm not exaggerating.
Pros
none at all
Cons
conned big tine
Great Environment on the recruiting side, administrative department needs help
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX13 January 2018
There are not nearly enough employees doing the "behind the scenes" work necessary to keep the company afloat. Therefore, the administrative employees are constantly over-worked, stressed, fighting, and annoyed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer Ogden. Our community is ready to answer.