Spend-less Shoes Employee Reviews

Terrible company... Never work here!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs VIC27 January 2019
Aweful complang to work for! I was 2IC for 7 months thank goodness I left when I did! The area managers were not helpful at all! And extremly high staff turnover particuarly with area managers! As well as casual staff being constantly understaffed at our store meaning I was working almost 30 days consistently with no day off! And when they finally hired a second casual she didn’t want to do anything! Or even show innitiative and only whinged about the system! And didn’t want to work Sundays considering that’s the days they hire casuals for! They hire quick fixes and not actually people who can do the job! And whats worse is they originally wanted this casual to be a 2IC for the store! Goodluck to them!!! The only good thing was the first manager I had who they then transferred to another store!
Pros
Cons
Everything I wrote
Fun friendly and loving
Griffith, Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Griffith NSW27 January 2019
The team at spendless were amazing and really do become your best friends.

Customers first
Shoes second
Learn your shoes and their places
Be nice and you will fit in
Pros
You get discounted shoes
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun, fast paced with great teams!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD14 January 2019
Fast paced environment whilst still being able to provide customer service is a typical work day. Great workout managing and selling stock. The teams are great it is nice to have a laugh and feel supported! The company and management lives by there values. Able to progress within company I went from casual to store manager with support and guidance from senior management, also allowed me to balance previous commitments with an income. The hardest part of the job can be the occasional high volume of stock to account with.
Pros
Teams
Cons
Occasionally physically demanding
Awful upper management
2iC (Former Employee) –  NSW North Coast NSW10 January 2019
The upper management constantly belittles you without giving constructive criticism to help you develop and better your current skills. Positive reenforcement is non existent and they tend to focus on the negative a lot. They don’t really take into consideration the mental effect they have on staff memebers when they single one out or gossip with other stores. I have seen many staff memeber quit due to the circumstances. Management have also failed to obtain new staff members causing many stores in the same area to have only 2-3 members working at the one store which can lead to many weeks without days off. Support isn’t there for the staff memebers, no toilet breaks when you’re by yourself 4-7 hours, no proper training and a lot of pressure when your rate is the same as a fast food worker. Discriminate against tattoos
Pros
30% discount, gets a call from CEO on anniversary sometimes
Cons
No toilet breaks, unreliable upper management, poor pay for management position, and a lot of gossip
Bad company
Casual (Current Employee) –  Ghaha9 January 2019
Management is terrible. You can never go to the toilet if you’re alone and sometimes that can be up to 5 hours. You get no team discount until after 3 months.
horrid
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD8 December 2018
you have to buy the shoes to wear them as part of your uniform, you have to buy your own uniforms that can only be black and white clothes. customers will complaint about ANYTHING you said.
Pros
nothing
Cons
horrible place
Terrible Area Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW22 November 2018
Area Manager in NSW, is the worse. Stuck up. Doesn't care about staff. Would not advise anyone to work for this company, while she is employed.

Life at work is bullying and harassment No toilet breaks. .
Very flexible, loved it.
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fountain Gate VIC13 November 2018
Enjoyed working there, very fun. Upper Management is corrupt but besides that, it is a good place to work. I was lucky to have a really good store manager.
Terrible company to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne South East VIC24 October 2018
The worst company I have ever worked for. They don’t care about their staff, only interested in making money. Selling their shoes is an embarrassment, cheap and nasty, they are a disgrace, endless returns and complaints. They force you to sell their add on’s Eg socks, cleaning products which are also cheap and nasty. The only bonus working there are the girls that I work with. Upper management are nasty bullies if you complain about them you will loose your job. During my time with this company I have seen so many terrible things happening to co workers also other stores, the way they treat their staff. You are made to work on your own for long hours with no toilet break.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Cheap & nasty shoes
Great environment to work in, simple procedures and awesome opportunities to meet people
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Success WA15 October 2018
During the time that I worked at Spendless Shoes, I thoroughly enjoyed working there. It provided opportunities to talk to lots of different people, I was surrounded by shoes which I love and I felt really comfortable doing shifts on my own.
Pros
All the nice shoes that I was able to get discounts on!
Very good!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 October 2018
Such a positive vibe and helpful managers who always want to see you improve, for casuals its very good to pick up extra shifts where needed and reduce when required with no stress.
Pros
staff discounts, friendly team, promotions, monthly winners
Amazing workplace - great management
Manager (Current Employee) –  South Australia27 September 2018
Spendless shoes is a fantastic company to work for. They have amazing values that create such a positive and fun environment to work in. upper management are so supportive and always available when needed. Team members are fun, loving and caring. Pay is great and we even receive bonuses for achieving budgets. I have worked for many other retail company's and will happily say spendless are the best.
Pros
Discount, bonuses, fun environment, support from management.
Cons
None. Great workplace.
Worst Company ever
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA17 September 2018
Workplace bulling is a massive issue in this company. Sadly I am still working for this company till this day but I can't wait to leave. Do yourself a favour and don't apply to work for this company it will be the biggest mistake of your life. I already regret my decision.
Pros
Nothing was good
Cons
Everything about this company is a joke
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA15 September 2018
Staff are lovely no matter what store you work at. Very friendly and safe place to work. Make so many new friendships and rostering is regular. So many nice shoes!! Discounts xx
Pros
30% off shoes
Cons
min 3 hour shifts (May be regular)
Loved my time at Spendless
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Narellan NSW26 August 2018
I loved my job at Spendless. I always felt supported from my support manager and other nearby managers. I have had so many opportunities for growth and learnt so many amazing skills.
It’s a fun job with lots of great perks and I really am sad to leave.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Can’t think of anything.
Worst job I’ve had
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD21 August 2018
Was a horrible place to work for. Management was awful and upper management never did anything to help when you needed support. Expected to work even when sick, no toilet breaks, never allowed any time off on weekends
Pros
Discount
Cons
No toilet breaks, benefits or weekends
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Australia2 July 2018
My time at Spendless Shoes was thankfully short-lived. I was made to feel like I was stupid and incapable yet their system of sorting and storing the shoes is extremely unprofessional and even quite dangerous. Upper management were blatantly rude and tried to intimidate you when they came in. One time my manager took holiday leave and I was left in charge for the week yet she did not roster anyone for the midday shift on one particular day, as I was new to the company and did not know who to call, I called the area manager to ask what to do. She yelled at me on the phone and acted as though I was wasting her time. I thought upper management was meant to assist employees if they needed help?
I’d often be asked to work the Sunday all day shift without a lunch break or toilet break. The manager would be upset if you did not have time to replenish stock and tidy the store even though you were working alone and had to focus on serving customers.
At one stage I applied for the second-in-charge position and they took months to get back to me. They eventually gave me the position but I did not at all feel valued or that they believed I was capable. In fact the manager treated me like I was still a trainee and constantly micro managed me.
Their one purpose is to make money and they do not care about their employees wellbeing. Glad I don’t work here anymore!!!!
Pros
This place gives you thick skin
Cons
Everything listed above
Great autonomous role
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tuggeranong ACT28 May 2018
Spendless is a great company if you like to work on your own and you have alot of self motivation it is a brilliant company and treats their employees well.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
No toilet breaks
Upper Management sucks.
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW25 May 2018
Loved my team in my own store. When ever upper management came in they would apply mass amounts of pressure to people who are only working as casuals. If one thing was wrong or you made one mistake they would act like its the end of the world. Would not recommend working here.
Cons
Alot of pressure and stress, Crazy hours
Good place to work as location and customer revenue is amazing.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC22 May 2018
The company is great, the management and team members however are a bit harsh and the expectations from management exceeds the pay you are given. Shifts are not always given.
Pros
nothing
Cons
not so great team and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spend-less Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.