Spendless Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews

Awesome company to work for
Had great opportunities to progress in the career within the company
Great benefits and flexible hours

Totally customer focused and face to face customer service.

Day to day daily routine if cash transactions and cash handling duties.

Tarak
Worst company
The managers do not care about you, if you’re sick it’s the end of the world, and if you fall pregnant you get told it’s disappointing. The old area manager was horrible and would pick on you if she didn’t like you, thankfully she’s gone now
Amazing to work.
Everyone gets along and management are very supportive

Have never had any issues.

Great place amd easy job if you can multitask and have good common sense.
Worst management
The company is great as long as you are an exact clone of the manager. If you have an opinion about anything or think something is wrong you are yelled at for voicing it. The managers a horrible. They play favourites and are always complaining about other staff member in store in front of customers. I had customers complain to me because the manager was yelling at the staff in the middle of the store. Completely unprofessional
Awful and abusive management
One of the worst places I have ever worked. Management was not trained and gossip was a huge part of staying in the good books. Expectations were absolutely ridiculous .
Fun and Rewarding Work Place
I loved working at Spendless Shoes Tweed Heads. Management was great and very supportive and day to day workplace culture was positive. Customers were always lovely.
Not worth the stress and lack of support!
Not a nice company to work for.

My team in my own store were amazing, I loved working with them! When ever upper management came in they would criticize everything and offer no support to improve. No support or guidance within store or outside.

The regional managers have obvious favourites and if you aren't in their clique they will gossip about staff they don't like.
Awful Workplace
Upper management is awful.

No support or guidance within store or outside.

Obvious favourites.

Toxic gossip about other staff & customers.

In store training is little however store managers go over and above for what they're paid for.

No ammenities provided despite working alone for majority of the day with a mere 2 hours of help.

Corrupt upper management.

Little pay and small staff discount.

Pressured to unpack and distribute stock in ONE DAY.

No appreciation for anyone.

No overtime pay or extra hours or extra Christmas casuals which puts a massive strain on store staff and customers.

"Customers come first" even before their staff.

Soul sucking & always putting you down.
Unprofessional Company - Worst Company Ever.
The WORST company i have ever worked for.
WARNING...this is NOT a store management role.....Store managers are actually full time sales assistants. You will not need any of your management skills or experience with this role/company.

All decisions are made for you(which reflects in your pay packet, also not salary, award wage paid) & when you do make a decision its changed the next day by the ssm who thinks she knows better, even the casual who does 3 hours a week makes decisions instore.

The company is going bad at the moment behind the scenes. They are not supplying certain things that are a BASIC need for the workplace. tissues!! yet they have available toilet paper.....hello no stores have staff toilets. Cost cutting at its best.

The roster never changes, the SSM now actually does the roster, so there are no skills required for you to run the store as your own.

SSMs are far too inexperienced and a contributing factor of this is their age, they are far too young and no life skllls on managing issues at store level.

Be prepared to get into trouble over minor things (yes you get into trouble and spoken down to). The company has favourites at store level, your store can be performing bad yet you get manager of the year.

The company is full of false & fake people.

Bullying also does the rounds in this company, the store I was in had one of the worst I have ever come across, the staff member has been with the company a long time and it shows. backstabbing and very unprofessional attitudes. Supposed to 'live each day the spendless way'.

Training; score 0.
 - more...
Absolutely horrible
Many years of bullying from staff and upper management. Constantly forced to buy products to make targets, extreme pressure to make add on targets. Goes through staff more than they sell product.
Have absolutely no respect or care for their employees.

Disgusting company.
Pros
Tiny 30% discount
Extremely Clicky
Store management and teams are amazing and supportive.
Upper management have a very toxic culture and really good at getting you down. Have heard said management talking negatively about a staff member to a customer.

A lot of working alone.

Very clicky bunch of guys and girls. If you live and breathe Spendless, you'll be fine.
Bad experience
Was made to feel like an outsider being watched by everyone. Had false complaints made against me, always felt like everything I did wasn't good enough, was there for 4 months and made then a butt load of money then they fired me off when they no longer needed me
Spendless will take and take until you have nothing left to give
A very demanding business that runs at a capacity that burns people out in many different positions. From casuals, to in store management to area and state management.
The business and management at the top don’t uphold many fair work policies (required breaks, overtime when working more than contracted hours) and relies on team members lack of knowledge or their acceptance of it being ‘the spendless way’.

They offer many promotions to people who show passion for the brand, willingness to do anything and in a lot of cases, being in the right place at the right time and the need for someone to fulfill a role. Although training and support is a weakness in this company and it will be a matter of you will sink or you will swim, all on your own.

The opportunities are endless at Spendless, due to the fact they do not retain staff and people are regularly leaving the business wondering how or why they stayed for as long as they did.
Enjoyed
Really enjoyed my time as Store Manager. I had great staff and felt well supported by management and a great team. Company was great to work for, always good incentives.
Negative workplace
My experience in the company has varied dependent on management. Recently I have found un-qualified and inexperienced management has made it unpleasant to come to work. I don’t feel supported or valued. I don’t feel like management is helping with anything except being on their phone all day. The only time I get spoken to is negative.
Hours are horrific working alone for most of the day. Hope you don’t need to go to the toilet.

I would avoid this workplace as I am applying for other positions.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, long hours, ssm communication
High staff turnover for a reason? I say YES!!
Working here for almost 3 years has shown me exactly what you don’t want when working in retail!! The only good thing was the immediate team you worked with.
Upper management is beyond ridiculous especially within the last year. Next to no communication or support coming from upper management in the support office as the state had no area managers for several weeks and all stores had to fend for themselves.

Lazy when it comes to hiring and only hire quick fixes. Turnover rate is extremely high and they wonder why! Long days working on your own sometimes with no cover or max 3hr covers. Go for hours on end with no food or toilet break, coming in 45 mins early in the morning UNPAID due to changes in their banking policies to save them money, abused and frowned upon for taking leave & they have no genuine concept or care to help support their workers suffering with mental health concerns.

Would not recommend working here!
Worst company I’ve ever worked for
The team I worked with were amazing and I’ve made long life friends but upper management is appalling. They are all nice and suck up to you when they want something but as soon as they are done with you that’s it. No matter what you’ve done for them which includes going over a month with barely one day off no appreciation was shown or loyalty. The area manager is way to young for her role and is just on a massive power trip. I have never been spoken to bad in my entire life in any work place it was disgusting. Comes in saying she will terminate everyone’s employment in the store and close it down but then turns around saying we need you and not to leave. First of all where do you even get the power todo that and secondly nothing was that bad to warrant that response. She also used people and tried to pit you off against each other just to try and get information saying everyone’s only defending themselves. That’s not even the worse when I handed in my notice giving the appropriate amount of notice which i found on the relevant Award, I then get a call on the weekend saying I need to give up one weeks worth of wage because I have to pay for them to either get someone else to open the store or if they have to close due to no one being able to have to foot the fees for it. Not even consulting with the right department to actually get her facts right which is another example of her being on a power trip. The company is full of 2 faces people as you find out because you get no support anywhere even when another manager is meant to come in and help. Instead spends her time taking - more...
Awful place to work, upper management is terrible.
I loved working with the cutsomers i encountered in this job, however management in my stores were lasy, rude and imcompetent people. Upper management were over bearing and threatening, on ocasssion forcing other employees to tears. When I said I was going to start looking for other work, giving notice to try and save the company from being understaffed, I wasd fired via a phone call by upper management.
Pros
Customers were nice
Cons
Management was awful
Horrid company
Iv worked in retail for about 10 years, and this has to be the most horrid company to work for. You get no support from upper management, they have unbelievable standards, upper management tries to pit staff against each other, by changing stories around. Upper management basically bullied my self and my other team members to leaving. My upper management went on a power trip as I think she’s just to young for her role, and trying to tell staff who they can and can’t be friends with. Upper management also doesn’t care about your mental health, or to even try and understand. They also speak so down to you like your not even human. They have let the Gladstone store go in such a bad and gross way as the store floods every time it rains really heavy, they made us open up the store for trade the day after it had flooded one night, and waited three days before getting in carpet cleaners, in that time the store smelt so horrible and toxic from the damp water and mould growing underneath the carpets.
We would always get told that it takes a type of person to work within this company and after 6 months it’s clear that they want people who lie, backstab and suck up to the upper management.

Honestly was the happiest i have been since working in this company was the day I resigned!! So save yourself some time and do not apply for this company.
Cons
Upper management
Fantastic place to work
Best job I have ever had. Been working online for 10 months now and enjoy going to work everyday.
Management are very approachable and supportive.

Given plenty of opportunities to learn different aspects of the online business and given the confidence to perform all tasks efficiently and confidently.
Pros
People are great. Acknowledged for your work. Company has a great family feel.
Toxic workplace
Management and training was very disorganised. Staff are made to fight over hours. Management love to play favourites. No toilet breaks which resulted in me getting horrible UTI’s and severe kidney infections as I was made to hold for 5+ hours. Was not allowed to have any breaks. Constant bullying and bickering between staff. If you did the wrong thing you were shamed in front of everyone. Shoes are horrible quality and you are MADE to wear/buy them (absolute waste of money). Harassment claims were not taken seriously. Overall my experience with this company and the people I worked with was disgusting and I would not recommend anyone working there.
Pros
Absolutely none.
Cons
Absolutely everything.