Spendless Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews

Loved my time at Spendless - very supportive environment and I always felt supported by my manager. Communication was always very clear and training was provided
Unprofessional upper and corporate management. Read the other reviews and notice the pattern in every state. The company is rotten to the core and store support managers are toxic bullies with no experience outside the company let alone have any qualifications to manage their areas.
Cons
Worked by myself which means no toilet or lunch break of any kind! Management were pathetic and store manager at the time was no better, completely unsupported. Would never recommend
Pros
Discount
Cons
I worked in the company for only 2 months during the COVID-19 pandemic in which law was that if you showed any symptoms STAY HOME. Management didn’t care about this however. If I called in sick I was told I would lose my job so I would go to work anyway. All management cares about is making money. My first week was meant to be training however the “training” I received was minimal, I was then put onto solo shifts without even knowing how to do a return. I ended up having anxiety and panic attacks about customers coming in for a return as I didn’t know how to do such an important part of the job. The company needs to start training their staff better and actually caring about their staff because without the casuals the company would be screwed.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor training, selfish management and so much more.
The company is poorly managed at all levels. There is a constant turnover and not enough staff. Extra hours are regularly added with no notice to cover shifts. They will hide the issues with the company until your first day at which point you get nine hours of training before you are left to run the shop entirely by yourself.Heaven forbid something goes wrong on shift as you can't get on to any level of management for help no matter how big or small the issue.They prey on young workers not knowing their rights in the workplace so they can run right over them. There are also massive safety hazards from things like falling boxes, and being told during training that if the fire alarm goes off you have to stay behind bring stock in and shut the shop before you can evacuate. DON'T WORK HERE.
Cons
Poor safety, poor management, no notice of shift changes.
The company gives their casuals minimal hours that upper management keep changing without warning. Despite this, there are never enough staff for the number of shifts across the stores in the area. Management would often guilt-trip you to leave your shift at one shop and finish it at another. Often, you are expected to work 4 hours without relief or a toilet break. The environment was often very slow-paced and unenjoyable.
Pros
Incentives, staff are super friendly, uni friendly hours
Cons
Working alone for several hours, minimal hours, understaffed
DO NOT WORK HERE!! WORK ANYWHERE ELSE! You are working for a franchise that only cares for $$ and no employee welfare. - Tattletale environment.. always employees or area managers dobbing others in ie sitting, going on phone, chatting too much ect. - NO MUSIC in store because it's considered "offensive" and no money left !!!- NO toilet breaks as you are the only one on! They would not care if you went in a bucket anything to drive sales. Company too cheap to hire lunch covers or put X2 people on - Area managers are AWFUL only notice the bad and no congratulations for the good !- You mainly work alone; only 45 minute overlaps between shifts - Set hours only, NO flexibility- Gossipy work environment; the entire company only employs women. Mostly managers gossiping about employees below them. - No xmas parties - No bonuses unless you are part time of full time employee - End of the world if you want time off on short notice (ie within 3 days) no covers esp in November - Feb - Treating casuals like they are part-time/full-time employees; make employees feel guilty for wanting time off - Standards too high for casual employees given the environment and wage
Pros
Working alone (if you're an introvert) Fair wages
Cons
- you are easily replaceable, make your money then go, managers all happy when you covers their shifts and sickies but when its you, you're made to feel like cr*p!- horrible upper management, deserves to be shut down, shoes are bad quality
Area managers simply don't care about their employees and treat them like dirt. Communication between management and stores is non-existent. Stores are grossly under-staffed, forcing some staff to work 7 days often without a break. You get no support from area managers & you're forced to wear bad quality cheap shoes that effect your physical health.
Pros
Cons
Area Managers that are horrible to their staff
To cheap to pay for musicHigher ups play favoritesNot enough hoursNot payed to count till and open storeNo lunch/rest breaksWork all shifts alone
Cons
Not enough hours
Having never worked in fashion retail , I wasn't sure I would enjoy the job. I've now been here for three months and have to say , i am pleasantly surprised. The customers are great, you are always busy and the pay rate is excellent.
Pros
Good work, life balance
Cons
None at the moment
Would not recommend working here at all. The upper management preaches the 'Spendless family' but takes advantage of all employees. Expectations and pressure for casuals are way too high for the minimum wage they are given. The pressure is felt amongst all Spendless employees which is obvious in the very high turnover rate of employees (especially in area managers). Whole 5 hour shifts are done alone which not only can be stressful but it means very heavily discouraged bathroom breaks (they don't want you closing the store). Expected to arrive 15 minutes early without pay for opening shifts. Also, if you fall sick you are still expected to come into work because they have no backup employees since they are too cheap to hire more people. They are so cheap that they now even refuse to pay the licensing fee to play music in the store which decreased morale amongst all team members and heavily impacted the store environment.
Pros
Co-workers at store were nice in comparison to upper management
Cons
very cheap company that does not care about employees despite their claims
Selling shoes, fast pace makes the day fly, kept me fit, loved variety of shoes and customers, had opportunity to progress my position. Able to manage my store as my own , had to be independent and a problem solver and met so many lovely customers.Great communication with updates with what the company was planning through Covd-19. support for team members was very good.
Pros
discount shoes and able to progress
Cons
This is a company that will take till you have no more to give. Treatment of Staff is disgusting.You work way more hours than you are paid for as expectations are so high.It's all about the negative not the positive.
Pros
Cons
Too many too list.
I worked at spendless for 5 years. At the start I loved the company and the people I worked for/with. As the years passed cracks formed. The turn over of area managers was crazy. The last one I worked under would talk behind everyone’s back including mine to other staff. The company become very tight with their money and it showed through the store. Toward the end the stress of the company was upsetting me outside of work and I found it best to leave. I would never recommend working for this company. Area management is nasty and two faced.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Unappreciated, tight with money to the point you need to provide your own bin bags because they aren’t “essential”
Made some awesome friends I will keep forever. Expected to stay longer than paid to have a perfect store. Only one person on and a 3 hour lunch cover. Area Managers are rude. Then give you chocolates or something to keep you happy and stay there longer.Vap upsells have such a ridiculously high expectation.Oh and you get to help people with dry crackly flaky swollen feet, overgrown brown toenails who won't wear a sock
Pros
30% discount even on markdowns but only 5 pairs a month
Cons
Long hours. Underpaid. High expectations with no help
Seemed ok at first until I saw my SM and ASM have the life sucked out of them until they quit/were fired, and then the same thing happened to the next ones etc etc. Area managers are so too-faced and you cannot tell them anything in confidence. They play huge favourites and make no effort to hide it. Their favourites are just the highest performing stores and they emotionally abuse the stores that are being crushed under the weight of poorly made fast fashion shoes that are such poor quality no one will buy them even for $10. There is no overtime pay and you get paid what you're rostered on for - even though they have a clock in/out system. You have to be there 15 minutes before opening the store to count money and get ready for the day, you do not get paid for this. Managers put in so much overtime and barely make a living. Refuse to pay the licensing on music so store morale is abysmal and the work days are so boring as there are no customers. So much gossip and have a huge staff turnover because everyone hates it.
Although people in store set the work environment I’ve always enjoyed each staff member in different stores as I’ve had the pleasure of working in different stores and meeting other staff. Management do a great job they are supportive and communicate efficiently. I love this company a lot.
Pros
Friendly work environment Family vibes
Cons
Upper Management is corrupted Do not trust anyone. My SSM is the most thoughtless careless power hungry person I’ve ever met. Always being talked down. This job is depressing but I’m hoping it changes, SC, when you read this, look into your SSMs they are the ones causing high staff turnover.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Upper management
Every work day was a challenge as to Managers mood . Area manager was friends with manager so they looked after each other’s dreams lied. I would never recommend people to work for this company
Cons
Too many tocount
The company values and recognises staff sometimes, and neglects others. There is clear favouritism and it is difficult to muster up the motivation to go to work when its for a company that doesnt really care for you. Having said that, all team member that actually work in the stores are great, its only head office and higher management that dont care about people.
I got a job as a Store Manager and so far every single day I spend with his company is awesome. Work hours are great and the pay is just okay since Im full-time. I said okay because I was earning bigger as a casual in restaurants before. Good mix of ethnicity
Pros
Great team and management
Cons
Hours for casual are not much
  1. Employee Reviews