Spendless Shoes

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews

Australia157 reviews

2.9Work–Life Balance

Slow/long days, incorrect pay, poor management,

definitely has its benefits, if you enjoy working a decent amount of shifts a week mostly on your own then this job is perfect, however don’t expect a proper day off without being called in to cover someone. Pay is average but don’t expect to be paid if you work through your allocated break because there’s no one to cover you for lunch. Also not allowed to close the store. If your store isn’t one of the top selling then youll mainly get overlooked by upper management. If a staff member quits regional managers will take weeks if not months to fill they’re position leaving your store to fend for themselves when it comes to covering shifts. If your applying for a casual role at a store that already has a manager and assistant manager don’t expect more than 3-9 hours a week. and if they don’t have an assistant manager expect 25+ hour weeks where you take on the role (without the benefits and pay increase). i found working here to be lots of me giving my time and effort with little to no appreciation in return.

Upper Management is a joke

I adore working at Spendless with my store manager and colleagues, I always have a great time. However, upper management is a nightmare. They are abusive, manipulative, and do not care about their employees at all. They are constantly uncontactable, even in emergency situations. Their HR team is also a joke, they just refer the issue back to upper management, the very same ones with which we have issues. There is a massive lack of communication and empathy between upper management and their employees.

Fantastic company and great people

I love this job and the people. Retail is Challenging and forever changing however this company makes it fun and they care about you. The teams are awesome and The Qld area managers (all 3 of them) are absolutely amazing to work with and go above and beyond for you. Best job ever .

Pros

Amazing upper management support

Cons

Nothing.

Supportive company, fun and easy work

Great company with supportive management. Work is easy because it's just selling shoes. I had some issues with my Store Manager and upper management listened and helped. I would still be in that job if I didn't relocate. Very flexible on returns and exchanges: the company emphasizes on making the customer happy.

Pros

Easy work because you're just selling shoes.

Cons

Inability to order specific stock (DC just sends stock that you sell), work can be monotonous.

Horrendous

3/4 of the Area managers I encountered in my 3 years where manipulative and toxic!I was personally yelled at in my face, sworn at and belittled even in front of staff and customers. I now suffer from anxiety due to the past traumas, a extremely negative environment to work in. I was watched multiple times without my knowledge, then reprimanded, continuously on edge as they just give out written warnings which they clarify never leave your file eg, over a shoe style not marked down in time, give us a break, us mangers are always taking on the biggest work load with staff shortages & no support-try getting a email reply or your phone call acknowledged in the same day or two, near impossible. Make sure you have a back bone otherwise these people will walk all over you that’s why we have HR. Overall area mangers are fake & quite evil BUT the staff you work with causals and 2IC’s are so lovely and are like family as you all stick together and give each other the support because it’s very much lacking from higher up. Please do yourself a favour and do not work for this company, the pays a joke and when your entitled to your sick days you’ll be made to feel guilty for using it!

Poor Management

Seemed very toxic from the get-go. Any issue always seemed to be someone else's fault but of course not management's. The way past & present staff members were spoken about even on my first shift, was pretty gross.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Too many

Terrible Workplace

The in-store teams are fantastic and I made many friends across different stores. Management on the other hand only care about how much you sell and how much money you're pulling in.

Don't bother

If you want to work in a place where they do not give you support and you have to chase covers for shifts constantly then work here. They give you 3 days off a fortnight but that means you end up working 5 days on 1day off and 5days on again to then get the 3 days off. If you can't get a cover than you end up working the shift.

Yuck

Not a good place to work at all. Management suck. Can't even have toilet breaks, had to close store to go to toilet and then got in trouble for closing early. Glad I quit

Poor management

Poor management, lack of support and encouragement. Your just a number and not appreciated at all. I started there but didnt last long as i cant stand such a negative environment. The area managers were not helpful at all!

Pros

Easy work

Cons

long hours, have to buy the shoes - even if they dont fit, terrible upper management

Fun and easygoing work place

Love the management & staff, very fair and easy job. Very good to work and enjoy what you do, management is made up of great teachers and great people. Lovely environment & a good place to build and grow with knowledge at your own pace (within reason).

Horrible

Seriously the worst job I have ever had .no support from area managers unless your one of there favourites . Safety on the job does not exist. Turn over in staff is terrible even for retail

I really enjoy working at spendless upper management and super helpful and understanding, the team from other sectors are super nice and always offer help. Best job I’ve ever had.

Draining and Unsupportive

As store manager you are left to do 95% of the work load, as you are left in store by yourself majority of the week with only a 3 hour lunch cover. You get no say in the hiring process for your store, which mean's you are often left with casual staff who have limited or unreliable availability. Not to mention the team is restricted to a maximum of 4 staff (yourself included). This in return, means you are frequently forced (by upper management) to work overtime just to keep the store open. Both manager and 2IC's are left working 10 days in a row without time off, and are told we have to because it says in our contracts it is OUR responsibility to cover shifts. Emails and phone calls for help and extra staff are constantly ignored by upper manager. And when/if a response comes through, it is with a passive aggressive tone or you are just flat out disregarded. The culture within this company is horrible and they could simply care less. I had nicer chats with they're IT department than our own Area and State manager.

Stressful and draining

Worst experience of my working career. No help from higher management and most of the time, you are left by yourself. Very toxic environment. The only positive is the store staff that you work with.

no hours

you’ll get barely any hours at your base store (3 a week) so if you want hours you’ll have to drive around brisbane to fill shifts. you won’t be paid for any overtime and they’ll deduct break time even if you don’t take a break (which will probably happen as you’ll mostly be working alone)

Pros

Cons

everything

Toxic environment. No communication or support from SSM's.

Store teams work well together and are supportive of each other. Upper Management are toxic and not supportive in anyway possible. High staff turn over. Staff are left to fend for themselves if there is no store based management. Worst retail company I have ever worked for!!

Pros

Store base staff.

Cons

No upper management support. Staff don't stay long especially Management.

Great job, disappointing management

I really love the work I did here - it was organisational, keeping things clean, neat and tidy. The store had good systems, however everything depends on your manager and state management. If your store manager puts in effort and trains staff correctly, the job is fun and easy. As soon as good managers leave, the SSMs neglect low revenue stores and make them fend for themselves, often working 5 hour shifts alone with no break as there is such high staff turnover.

A good workplace but staff turnover is too high

Overall management actually cares about you and is available via phone pretty much 24/7, both in-store and corporate. The stores themselves are dusty as and very hard to keep clean due to the chaotic nature, but overall a low-effort job since the customers try on shoes independently and you just have to recommend styles, use the register and make sure the store is in reasonably good shape. The staff turnover is an issue, I've had 3 SM's and 2 ASM's in the year I've worked here and it makes for unpredictable hours when someone in the 4 person team quits. Another downside is often working solo, so bathroom breaks are a hassle when you have to close the store to leave for 5 mins. It can often be overwhelming when on by yourself in a rush, but since the sales aren't consistently high enough, it's 'not viable' to have 2 workers all the time.

Stressful workplace with no support from management

Casuals are overworked, stressed, and not recognised for their efforts. Management offers little to no support except for stores that make money, and the majority of stores are understaffed.

Pros

Easy interview process

Cons

Long hours working alone

Amazing pay rates for casuals! But only if you want a few hours a week.

The pay is only really good when your a casual, otherwise it’s terrible. And only if your willing to work about 6-9 hours a week(sometimes less)then basically full time if someone quits because it takes so long for them to re hire new people. Also area managers are really unprofessional(most of the time uncontactable)and are of little to no help to regional stores. Most of the time being casual means working full days on your own and having to close the store for breaks or not get one.. Store managers and assistant store managers are required to do basically everything by certain deadlines and and as stores have few staff you rarely get time off or it’s a hassle to change around shifts/sick leave. Staff discount is 30% off after 3 months of employment but limited to 5 pairs a month. A lot of the shoes can be faulty therefor you get lots of complaints from customers and returns. The range of shoes is very limited and most seasons just repeat the same styles and colours. You have no control over stock ordering and can’t order for customers from another store if they have to stock so again customers become rude .. they have good sales though but sometimes the sale will be online and not instore so customers will complain and want the same price.

Pros

Seeing new styles of shoes each season

Cons

Little hours for casuals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spendless Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about Spendless Shoes in popular locations

• Spendless Shoes
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?