Spendless Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews

Australia111 reviews
The company values and recognises staff sometimes, and neglects others. There is clear favouritism and it is difficult to muster up the motivation to go to work when its for a company that doesnt really care for you. Having said that, all team member that actually work in the stores are great, its only head office and higher management that dont care about people.
Upper Management is corrupted
Do not trust anyone. My SSM is the most thoughtless careless power hungry person I’ve ever met. Always being talked down. This job is depressing but I’m hoping it changes, SC, when you read this, look into your SSMs they are the ones causing high staff turnover.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Upper management
Every work day was a challenge as to Managers mood . Area manager was friends with manager so they looked after each other’s dreams lied. I would never recommend people to work for this company
Cons
Too many tocount
I got a job as a Store Manager and so far every single day I spend with his company is awesome. Work hours are great and the pay is just okay since Im full-time. I said okay because I was earning bigger as a casual in restaurants before. Good mix of ethnicity
Pros
Great team and management
Cons
Hours for casual are not much
I love working there. The people I come in contact with over a day to day basis are awesome and I would recommend spendless to anyone who wants to work in retail
I was employed as the assistant store manager. The store manager would give casuals full days over me. I would get told nothing no communication. Rosters constantly changing. Shifts getting cut short. Very clicky group. If you didn’t fit in you didn’t exist. When I resigned via written notification I didn’t even get any acceptance to my letter.
Poor company to work for
The store I worked at had poor facilities for staff's 'off time' compared to any other retail shop I have worked. But the staff really became a family in individual branches - but other branches did not get along unfortunately.
The managers do not care about you, if you’re sick it’s the end of the world, and if you fall pregnant you get told it’s disappointing. The old area manager was horrible and would pick on you if she didn’t like you, thankfully she’s gone now
Amazing to work.
Everyone gets along and management are very supportive

Have never had any issues.

Great place amd easy job if you can multitask and have good common sense.
Had great opportunities to progress in the career within the company
Great benefits and flexible hours

Totally customer focused and face to face customer service.

Day to day daily routine if cash transactions and cash handling duties.

Tarak
The company is great as long as you are an exact clone of the manager. If you have an opinion about anything or think something is wrong you are yelled at for voicing it. The managers a horrible. They play favourites and are always complaining about other staff member in store in front of customers. I had customers complain to me because the manager was yelling at the staff in the middle of the store. Completely unprofessional
One of the worst places I have ever worked. Management was not trained and gossip was a huge part of staying in the good books. Expectations were absolutely ridiculous .
I loved working at Spendless Shoes Tweed Heads. Management was great and very supportive and day to day workplace culture was positive. Customers were always lovely.
Not a nice company to work for.

My team in my own store were amazing, I loved working with them! When ever upper management came in they would criticize everything and offer no support to improve. No support or guidance within store or outside.

The regional managers have obvious favourites and if you aren't in their clique they will gossip about staff they don't like.
Upper management is awful.

No support or guidance within store or outside.

Obvious favourites.

Toxic gossip about other staff & customers.

In store training is little however store managers go over and above for what they're paid for.

No ammenities provided despite working alone for majority of the day with a mere 2 hours of help.

Corrupt upper management.

Little pay and small staff discount.

Pressured to unpack and distribute stock in ONE DAY.

No appreciation for anyone.

No overtime pay or extra hours or extra Christmas casuals which puts a massive strain on store staff and customers.

"Customers come first" even before their staff.

Soul sucking & always putting you down.
The WORST company i have ever worked for.
WARNING...this is NOT a store management role.....Store managers are actually full time sales assistants. You will not need any of your management skills or experience with this role/company.

All decisions are made for you(which reflects in your pay packet, also not salary, award wage paid) & when you do make a decision its changed the next day by the ssm who thinks she knows better, even the casual who does 3 hours a week makes decisions instore.

The company is going bad at the moment behind the scenes. They are not supplying certain things that are a BASIC need for the workplace. tissues!! yet they have available toilet paper.....hello no stores have staff toilets. Cost cutting at its best.

The roster never changes, the SSM now actually does the roster, so there are no skills required for you to run the store as your own.

SSMs are far too inexperienced and a contributing factor of this is their age, they are far too young and no life skllls on managing issues at store level.

Be prepared to get into trouble over minor things (yes you get into trouble and spoken down to). The company has favourites at store level, your store can be performing bad yet you get manager of the year.

The company is full of false & fake people.

Bullying also does the rounds in this company, the store I was in had one of the worst I have ever come across, the staff member has been with the company a long time and it shows. backstabbing and very unprofessional attitudes. Supposed to 'live each day the spendless way'.

Training; score 0.
 - more...
Many years of bullying from staff and upper management. Constantly forced to buy products to make targets, extreme pressure to make add on targets. Goes through staff more than they sell product.
Have absolutely no respect or care for their employees.

Disgusting company.
Pros
Tiny 30% discount
Cons
Store management and teams are amazing and supportive.
Upper management have a very toxic culture and really good at getting you down. Have heard said management talking negatively about a staff member to a customer.

A lot of working alone.

Very clicky bunch of guys and girls. If you live and breathe Spendless, you'll be fine.
Was made to feel like an outsider being watched by everyone. Had false complaints made against me, always felt like everything I did wasn't good enough, was there for 4 months and made then a butt load of money then they fired me off when they no longer needed me
A very demanding business that runs at a capacity that burns people out in many different positions. From casuals, to in store management to area and state management.
The business and management at the top don’t uphold many fair work policies (required breaks, overtime when working more than contracted hours) and relies on team members lack of knowledge or their acceptance of it being ‘the spendless way’.

They offer many promotions to people who show passion for the brand, willingness to do anything and in a lot of cases, being in the right place at the right time and the need for someone to fulfill a role. Although training and support is a weakness in this company and it will be a matter of you will sink or you will swim, all on your own.

The opportunities are endless at Spendless, due to the fact they do not retain staff and people are regularly leaving the business wondering how or why they stayed for as long as they did.
Really enjoyed my time as Store Manager. I had great staff and felt well supported by management and a great team. Company was great to work for, always good incentives.