Spendless Shoes

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews

Australia167 reviews

2.8Work–Life Balance

Busy and fast paced depending on the location

Casuals get only 12 hours a week. You’ll mostly have to work alone in the store and store gets crazy at times. Co-workers are friendly and you can pick up extra shifts in other stores.

Pros

1 hour 20 minute lunch break when you’re working full day, team members

Cons

Rude customers, hard to keep up with the store

I love my job

I don't know what everyone's complants are about honestlty but I can understand if there hasn't been a good experience. But from the get go of my employment i was welcomed in with open arms, the company is great and I have amazing support, my reganals are absolutely lovely and true life savers!!! The reganals are people I can turn to if I am having a bad day or need help and they support me in that 110% is much as I will support them in anyway possible when needed. I do agree that the pay could be more depending on the stores work load and grade of the store as all the store can be vastly different. I am extremely happy here at spendless, I have had much worse and damaging experiences in most of my working career with other companies and spendless was the first company I was truly appreciated at and that means the world for me!!

Toxic and negative environment

The area managers remind me of bullies in primary school. They are socially inept people who go on power trips at work because they are miserable in their personal lives. They pick on staff members who are happy and successful. The 'favourite' staff members tend to all look the same- from weight and body type to dress sense and family situation. Do yourself a favour and don't apply for a job if you value your mental health.

Pros

No Sunday shifts

Cons

Disrespectful upper management

It's a job

It's a job.Minimal hours for casual workers, but the pay is decent.Easy training and workload.Only problem is when you need to go to the toilet on a solo shift, which is most shifts.Otherwise, content - be nice to have more hours though.

Not a happy environment

Poor management/ support from higher up, constantly very stressful. Poor work/life balance due to staffing issues. Some expectations are unrealistic as this is what they want on display but you don’t have to to display it and you don’t order stock so you have no control over what you get.

Pros

Customers

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, not managed well and very stressful

Spendless is great - has some “cons”

Spendless is a great business. Very relaxed and can be fun at times. Area Manager is never contactable and always absent. Regional Manager is left to do all the work and always seems to be contactable which is positive. So we just go directly to her. Looks like she needs support and proper help in the state. How do you expect her to do it all? Would be better if the direct Manager would communicate better. Regional always sends out emails to be involved in set ups and stuff so definitely room to progress within business and be involved with out of your own store activities. I like my role here, the business and the regional leaders very understanding of personal circumstances which helps.

Pros

Progression, support from Senior Regional Leader, flexibility with roster

Cons

The head office don’t speak very nice, no music allowed, minimum hours in store

Don't work for this company

This is the worst company I've worked for!!!! Extremely understaffed but still expected to carry the store through trading hours, not allowed to the close store for lunch or to go to the toilet unless you have a lunch cover and you still need to meet every budget and evey other thing that is required of you. You get no help from area managers or heirachy but as soon as you make one small mistake, they breathe fire down your neck. They only care about making sales and turn over but don't care about their staff and how poor the working environment is for this company. I a million times over would not recommend working for Spendless because they really do live up to their name. When maintenance is needed, nothing is ever done and you are left chasing enquiries for months on end and still get no solution. They only care if your store is making good turn over but if your store isn't, then you get absolutely nothing from them. I could go on for FOREVER about how bad it is working for Spendless but I don't get enough characters to finish this review. DON'T WORK FOR SPENDLESS SHOES. RUN!!! DON'T WALK

Pros

There are no pros

Cons

Too many to list

Stay clear from working here

This company is extremely unprofessional, upper management is a complete joke. There is a massive staff turn over due to the lack of support from state/area managers. They don’t communicate with anyone only when you are in trouble. This company needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

Pros

Cons

Pay, management, long hours

Not the best

Wasn't a bad place to work to begin with. After staff left with no replacements, multiple stores attempting to cover full hours with minimal staff. I would often go in on my day off just to give the team working their lunch breaks. Severe lack of communication and passive aggressive behaviour from state managers.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Too many

terrible upper management

worst head office management of any company I have worked for. rude to staff, seem to have no idea what its like to actually work in the stores, and expect your whole life to revolve around the company, regardless of your position. I was given false information during interviews, there is no flexibility with part-time contracted staff, and stores are deliberately kept understaffed (some stores only having 1 employee to work across a 7 day week). Overtime hours are not paid, often have to close the store to take your breaks as you mostly work alone, and hourly pay rates for managers are well below other retail companies'

Pros

good staff in stores

Cons

head office, can't control stock, no work-life balance, deliberately understaffed

Slow/long days, incorrect pay, poor management,

definitely has its benefits, if you enjoy working a decent amount of shifts a week mostly on your own then this job is perfect, however don’t expect a proper day off without being called in to cover someone. Pay is average but don’t expect to be paid if you work through your allocated break because there’s no one to cover you for lunch. Also not allowed to close the store. If your store isn’t one of the top selling then youll mainly get overlooked by upper management. If a staff member quits regional managers will take weeks if not months to fill they’re position leaving your store to fend for themselves when it comes to covering shifts. If your applying for a casual role at a store that already has a manager and assistant manager don’t expect more than 3-9 hours a week. and if they don’t have an assistant manager expect 25+ hour weeks where you take on the role (without the benefits and pay increase). i found working here to be lots of me giving my time and effort with little to no appreciation in return.

Upper Management is a joke

I adore working at Spendless with my store manager and colleagues, I always have a great time. However, upper management is a nightmare. They are abusive, manipulative, and do not care about their employees at all. They are constantly uncontactable, even in emergency situations. Their HR team is also a joke, they just refer the issue back to upper management, the very same ones with which we have issues. There is a massive lack of communication and empathy between upper management and their employees.

Fantastic company and great people

I love this job and the people. Retail is Challenging and forever changing however this company makes it fun and they care about you. The teams are awesome and The Qld area managers (all 3 of them) are absolutely amazing to work with and go above and beyond for you. Best job ever .

Pros

Amazing upper management support

Cons

Nothing.

Supportive company, fun and easy work

Great company with supportive management. Work is easy because it's just selling shoes. I had some issues with my Store Manager and upper management listened and helped. I would still be in that job if I didn't relocate. Very flexible on returns and exchanges: the company emphasizes on making the customer happy.

Pros

Easy work because you're just selling shoes.

Cons

Inability to order specific stock (DC just sends stock that you sell), work can be monotonous.

Horrendous

3/4 of the Area managers I encountered in my 3 years where manipulative and toxic!I was personally yelled at in my face, sworn at and belittled even in front of staff and customers. I now suffer from anxiety due to the past traumas, a extremely negative environment to work in. I was watched multiple times without my knowledge, then reprimanded, continuously on edge as they just give out written warnings which they clarify never leave your file eg, over a shoe style not marked down in time, give us a break, us mangers are always taking on the biggest work load with staff shortages & no support-try getting a email reply or your phone call acknowledged in the same day or two, near impossible. Make sure you have a back bone otherwise these people will walk all over you that’s why we have HR. Overall area mangers are fake & quite evil BUT the staff you work with causals and 2IC’s are so lovely and are like family as you all stick together and give each other the support because it’s very much lacking from higher up. Please do yourself a favour and do not work for this company, the pays a joke and when your entitled to your sick days you’ll be made to feel guilty for using it!

Poor Management

Seemed very toxic from the get-go. Any issue always seemed to be someone else's fault but of course not management's. The way past & present staff members were spoken about even on my first shift, was pretty gross.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Too many

Terrible Workplace

The in-store teams are fantastic and I made many friends across different stores. Management on the other hand only care about how much you sell and how much money you're pulling in.

Don't bother

If you want to work in a place where they do not give you support and you have to chase covers for shifts constantly then work here. They give you 3 days off a fortnight but that means you end up working 5 days on 1day off and 5days on again to then get the 3 days off. If you can't get a cover than you end up working the shift.

Yuck

Not a good place to work at all. Management suck. Can't even have toilet breaks, had to close store to go to toilet and then got in trouble for closing early. Glad I quit

Poor management

Poor management, lack of support and encouragement. Your just a number and not appreciated at all. I started there but didnt last long as i cant stand such a negative environment. The area managers were not helpful at all!

Pros

Easy work

Cons

long hours, have to buy the shoes - even if they dont fit, terrible upper management

Fun and easygoing work place

Love the management & staff, very fair and easy job. Very good to work and enjoy what you do, management is made up of great teachers and great people. Lovely environment & a good place to build and grow with knowledge at your own pace (within reason).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spendless Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Spendless Shoes with

Learn about Spendless Shoes in popular locations

• Spendless Shoes
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?