Spendless Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Extremely Clicky
Store management and teams are amazing and supportive.
Upper management have a very toxic culture and really good at getting you down. Have heard said management talking negatively about a staff member to a customer.

A lot of working alone.

Very clicky bunch of guys and girls. If you live and breathe Spendless, you'll be fine.
Fun workplace with loving team members
The store I worked at had poor facilities for staff's 'off time' compared to any other retail shop I have worked. But the staff really became a family in individual branches - but other branches did not get along unfortunately.
Amazing to work.
Everyone gets along and management are very supportive

Have never had any issues.

Great place amd easy job if you can multitask and have good common sense.
Worst management
The company is great as long as you are an exact clone of the manager. If you have an opinion about anything or think something is wrong you are yelled at for voicing it. The managers a horrible. They play favourites and are always complaining about other staff member in store in front of customers. I had customers complain to me because the manager was yelling at the staff in the middle of the store. Completely unprofessional
Fun and Rewarding Work Place
I loved working at Spendless Shoes Tweed Heads. Management was great and very supportive and day to day workplace culture was positive. Customers were always lovely.
Awful Workplace
Upper management is awful.

No support or guidance within store or outside.

Obvious favourites.

Toxic gossip about other staff & customers.

In store training is little however store managers go over and above for what they're paid for.

No ammenities provided despite working alone for majority of the day with a mere 2 hours of help.

Corrupt upper management.

Little pay and small staff discount.

Pressured to unpack and distribute stock in ONE DAY.

No appreciation for anyone.

No overtime pay or extra hours or extra Christmas casuals which puts a massive strain on store staff and customers.

"Customers come first" even before their staff.

Soul sucking & always putting you down.
Absolutely horrible
Many years of bullying from staff and upper management. Constantly forced to buy products to make targets, extreme pressure to make add on targets. Goes through staff more than they sell product.
Have absolutely no respect or care for their employees.

Disgusting company.
Pros
Tiny 30% discount
Toxic workplace
Management and training was very disorganised. Staff are made to fight over hours. Management love to play favourites. No toilet breaks which resulted in me getting horrible UTI’s and severe kidney infections as I was made to hold for 5+ hours. Was not allowed to have any breaks. Constant bullying and bickering between staff. If you did the wrong thing you were shamed in front of everyone. Shoes are horrible quality and you are MADE to wear/buy them (absolute waste of money). Harassment claims were not taken seriously. Overall my experience with this company and the people I worked with was disgusting and I would not recommend anyone working there.
Pros
Absolutely none.
Cons
Absolutely everything.
Disorganised workplace
I have worked in retail for many years but Spendless Shoes was by far the worst place I have ever worked in. There is a huge staff turnover and within the year that I worked there we had 5 different store managers. The company takes you for granted and the regional managers treated you like dirt. The only good thing about working there was that the pay rate is higher than usual.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Disrespectful bosses, huge staff turnover and no work/life balance.
Toxic management culture
Very poor experience working for this company. Was lucky to have a great store manager but area manager was two-faced (for lack of a better term). Extremely high expectations of staff, yet inadequate training and communication to get you to this level. Have to buy Spendless shoes to wear on shift, yet the shoes you're allowed to choose from provide zero support for being on your feet all day. This led to an injury after a very short time working there, and a doctor advising I leave before it got worse. (Still doing weekly physio sessions and taking daily medication for this). Stores are understaffed which puts immense pressure on the staff who have other commitments to be constantly called in when colleagues are sick. Usually working on your own which can get extremely busy.

It was not uncommon to have staff (including myself) work a 6.25 hour shift on their own the entire time without a break, not even to go to the bathroom. According to the Fair Work Ombudsman, retail employees working more than 5 and less than 7 hours are required to have one meal break and one rest break. Employees "can't be asked to work more than 5 hours without a meal break". Also expected to start 15 minutes prior to your actual rostered start time in order to complete all of the store opening procedures - you are not paid for this, yet if you show up at your rostered start time and open the store minutes after it should be opened, you're in big trouble.

Management's priority does not sit with their employees, but rather their $$$. Was told that 1x 3hr shift of wearing actual supportive shoes of
 - more...
Cons
Management, expectations of staff, overall working environment
Used to be good, now I’m barely surviving..
Upper management needs to stop mucking around, stop having favourites and being rude and disrespectful to casuals.
Stop humiliating and intimidating your staff members and setting such unrealistic targets.

Work is meant to be fun, we are meant to be “fearlessly fun” but honestly this company is the opposite.

I show up in fear to every shift that I could just be fired for one small slip up or not doing something exactly they way they would have, even though we never see you and you never talk to us, except your favourites from each store.
Cons
Literally the worst place to work.
Best work culture!
I have been working at Spendless for a few months, and everyone has been beyond welcoming! The culture is very supportive and is all about working as a team to provide the best customer service possible. It can be quite fast paced, especially during sales, so you have to learn to communicate properly to your team and stay organised.
Pros
great work culture, supportive, flexible hours, staff discount
Great environment to work in, simple procedures and awesome opportunities to meet people
During the time that I worked at Spendless Shoes, I thoroughly enjoyed working there. It provided opportunities to talk to lots of different people, I was surrounded by shoes which I love and I felt really comfortable doing shifts on my own.
Pros
All the nice shoes that I was able to get discounts on!
Very good!
Such a positive vibe and helpful managers who always want to see you improve, for casuals its very good to pick up extra shifts where needed and reduce when required with no stress.
Pros
staff discounts, friendly team, promotions, monthly winners
Cons
Staff are lovely no matter what store you work at. Very friendly and safe place to work. Make so many new friendships and rostering is regular. So many nice shoes!! Discounts xx
Pros
30% off shoes
Cons
min 3 hour shifts (May be regular)
Worst job I’ve had
Was a horrible place to work for. Management was awful and upper management never did anything to help when you needed support. Expected to work even when sick, no toilet breaks, never allowed any time off on weekends
Pros
Discount
Cons
No toilet breaks, benefits or weekends
Productive and fun
A typical day at work would be keeping shelves stocked and maintaining great personal customer service. The staff are great and the benefits are even better. Every day you meet new people and grow bonds with regulars.
Love my job and our team.
Main task of the job is serving customers and keeping them happy, in addition to keeping the store in order and nice an tidy.
I'm extremely fortunate to say the team I work with get along really well and we always come together to reach our task and goals.

Most difficult part of the position is probably reaching KPI's due to working in one of the smaller stores it can be little tricky sometimes, but gives me something to strive for and a chance to be creative with job.

Overall I'd rate the Spendless Life 4 out of 5 stars.
Pros
Good Pay Rates, Great Team, 30% off Store Wide
Cons
Occasionally Schedule
treats employees really well
A pretty amazing company to work for, constantly aiming to keep employee morale up. good incentives and wages. opportunities to pick up shifts at other locations if you wish.
The shifts for casuals are typically on the shorter side which can be a plus or a negative depending on your situation.

It might take a little time to get used to some of the procedures and to replacing pretty much every shoe that you sell but its not too bad.

You're highly encouraged to try and sell add on's

You tend to work alone quite a bit but that can also be a plus or negative depending on who you are.

like every other retail job you might get a horrible customer or 2 but it's been a pretty rare occurrence.
Pros
excellent job culture and communication (even between other stores, IT and HQ). Good wages, discounts and even Christmas gifts
Cons
Some locations get quite busy which can be a little stressful if your the only one on.