Spendless Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spendless Shoes Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Enjoyable seven years of employment
More opportunity for career advancement and the option to transfer the a more demanding store or role would of been a plus.Many great staff members I got the chance to work with while at the company.
Not worth the stress and lack of support!
Not a nice company to work for.

My team in my own store were amazing, I loved working with them! When ever upper management came in they would criticize everything and offer no support to improve. No support or guidance within store or outside.

The regional managers have obvious favourites and if you aren't in their clique they will gossip about staff they don't like.
Unprofessional Company - Worst Company Ever.
The WORST company i have ever worked for.
WARNING...this is NOT a store management role.....Store managers are actually full time sales assistants. You will not need any of your management skills or experience with this role/company.

All decisions are made for you(which reflects in your pay packet, also not salary, award wage paid) & when you do make a decision its changed the next day by the ssm who thinks she knows better, even the casual who does 3 hours a week makes decisions instore.

The company is going bad at the moment behind the scenes. They are not supplying certain things that are a BASIC need for the workplace. tissues!! yet they have available toilet paper.....hello no stores have staff toilets. Cost cutting at its best.

The roster never changes, the SSM now actually does the roster, so there are no skills required for you to run the store as your own.

SSMs are far too inexperienced and a contributing factor of this is their age, they are far too young and no life skllls on managing issues at store level.

Be prepared to get into trouble over minor things (yes you get into trouble and spoken down to). The company has favourites at store level, your store can be performing bad yet you get manager of the year.

The company is full of false & fake people.

Bullying also does the rounds in this company, the store I was in had one of the worst I have ever come across, the staff member has been with the company a long time and it shows. backstabbing and very unprofessional attitudes. Supposed to 'live each day the spendless way'.

Training; score 0.
 - more...
Enjoyed
Really enjoyed my time as Store Manager. I had great staff and felt well supported by management and a great team. Company was great to work for, always good incentives.
Negative workplace
My experience in the company has varied dependent on management. Recently I have found un-qualified and inexperienced management has made it unpleasant to come to work. I don’t feel supported or valued. I don’t feel like management is helping with anything except being on their phone all day. The only time I get spoken to is negative.
Hours are horrific working alone for most of the day. Hope you don’t need to go to the toilet.

I would avoid this workplace as I am applying for other positions.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, long hours, ssm communication
High staff turnover for a reason? I say YES!!
Working here for almost 3 years has shown me exactly what you don’t want when working in retail!! The only good thing was the immediate team you worked with.
Upper management is beyond ridiculous especially within the last year. Next to no communication or support coming from upper management in the support office as the state had no area managers for several weeks and all stores had to fend for themselves.

Lazy when it comes to hiring and only hire quick fixes. Turnover rate is extremely high and they wonder why! Long days working on your own sometimes with no cover or max 3hr covers. Go for hours on end with no food or toilet break, coming in 45 mins early in the morning UNPAID due to changes in their banking policies to save them money, abused and frowned upon for taking leave & they have no genuine concept or care to help support their workers suffering with mental health concerns.

Would not recommend working here!
Fun and fast paced
I love my work at Spend-less shoes. I've worked as a casual and as a store manager. As a casual picking up hours at stores around the area and enjoyed the diversity of clients and change of view. The atmosphere is always fun and the people I work with are the sweetest and most encouraging I've met no matter which location I was at. The dress up days are a blast and the rewards for your participation is nice. But I really love the pace and development that you get as an employee.
Pros
Advancement and development
Cons
Casual hours can be low at times
Spendless has lost its value
I’ve worked for this company for a very long time. 18months ago I could have written a great review. This company is sucking the fun out of my work.
I cringe when my SSM calls because it’s usually to tell me what I am doing wrong. No I’m not a perfect SM but I work hard and reliable. I run a successful store. But to have her call/visit me and pick at every minor thing and make and issue out of it. Belittling me in front of my 2ic makes me want to throw the towel in . A couple of times fair enough but when I can only recall two times somthing positive has been said about my work and my store, you got to think how does that affect ones outlook on their work.

I’m all about criticism but make it constructive. My spirits are crushed with company, I hope things change before you lose a good employee
Pros
Bonus
Cons
the way SSM approach you
A company that is all about their people!
Spendless have gone above and beyond to cater to my needs and very considerate when it comes to work/life balance especially when it comes to Family. I honestly can not fault this company, so supportive and caring. SSM's communicate openly and are always helping to achieve personal goals.

The move to Spendless shoes has been the best decision I've made.
Pros
Great support, fun working environment
Perfect place for crazy passionate retailers
Honestly the most fun and supportive retail company I have ever worked for. Fun theme days and you really get to know people from other stores through emails. Celebrate every single positive sale and day, encouraged to tell other stores about amazing customer connections. Every store has its own challenges and it’s hard work but I absolutely love it.
Pros
Fun attitude is encouraged
Cons
Different challenges for every store
Fun friendly environment
I have worked for the company for 20 years and am very dedicated and loyal to my job. Fantastic company to work for. Very supportive and friendly. I enjoy coming to work everyday. It can be challenging but hard work pays off. Always am acknowledged for what achievements are made and absolutely love my team.
Pros
Friendly, vouchers, prizes, fun and challenging
Challenging
Best part of my job was working with the amazing staff, everyone was so generous and friendly. The role was very challenging but I learned a lot so I am glad to have worked there.
Fun, fast paced with great teams!
Fast paced environment whilst still being able to provide customer service is a typical work day. Great workout managing and selling stock. The teams are great it is nice to have a laugh and feel supported! The company and management lives by there values. Able to progress within company I went from casual to store manager with support and guidance from senior management, also allowed me to balance previous commitments with an income. The hardest part of the job can be the occasional high volume of stock to account with.
Pros
Teams
Cons
Occasionally physically demanding
Loved my time at Spendless
I loved my job at Spendless. I always felt supported from my support manager and other nearby managers. I have had so many opportunities for growth and learnt so many amazing skills.
It’s a fun job with lots of great perks and I really am sad to leave.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Can’t think of anything.
Great autonomous role
Spendless is a great company if you like to work on your own and you have alot of self motivation it is a brilliant company and treats their employees well.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
No toilet breaks
Not a good culture
Staff are often subject to a tirade of abuse, endless hours on your own without being able to take a toilet break and being humiliated if you don't dress up to the state managers own style.
Unfortunately they get sales results and therefore the head office is more then willing to turn a blind eye
Pros
Being able to resign
Cons
There is nothing good about this company
first country store to open
learnt all about shoes, rostering staff management, open and closing store
Cons
long hours by myself