Sportsgirl
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sportsgirl Employee Reviews

Australia33 reviews
Amazing work environment and plenty of opportunity to grow your skills. Overall great place to work. Management and staff are courteous and encouraging.
Would Li
Would work there again
Needs improvement on team building

It was about who had been there the longest to how much work you got

I felt very insecure there

Don’t believe that management was there for the right reason
Good Start but needs work
Depending on management, this could be perfect for teens. There is a good balance and incorporation of charity and body image but due to poor management at specific stores, my experience was less than good.
Co-operative team environment
A typical day of work consisted of greeting customers, ensuring products are intact and to maintain stock management and appearance. In this environment, we were able to learn skills of communication in simple and complex situations to both customers and team members.

Overall, the Sportsgirl workplace environment was mostly relaxed, with peak periods speeding up the pace of work. A difficult aspect of the job was time management, meanwhile the most enjoyable part would be engaging with customers and keeping visible stock presentable.
Great work place
Honestly Sportsgirl is a great company to work for I worked there for over 2 years and loved every bit of it. The culture experience and job opportunity are great too. They are a caring company that understand and look after they’re employees.
Fun and dynamic workplace but needs to become more competitive in the retail environment.
Sportsgirl is a fun and dynamic place to work for women of all ages, it works to maintain a great, inclusive, supportive, friendly and non-competitive workplace culture where the absence of individual KPI's and a customer-service grounded approach to retail eliminates the usual underlying sense of hostility and in-house competition that a lot of retailers suffer from when it comes to the morale of their employees. Your team is just that, a team - and this has been one of the things that I have valued most about working within the company.

The opportunity to progress through the company is absolutely encouraged, with a preference to hire internally where possible to offer this to employees where they seek to move between positions, advance into management roles or drop back into part-time or causal roles.

Sportsgirl is brand that has been around for a long time, and with the increased presence of a large range of multi-national retailers within Australia, there's something to be said for their need to play catch-up with the benefits and features offered by other retailers among both consumers and staff which make them a destination online, in-store and as an employee of the brand. The management perks are few, the pay is average for part-time, full-time and management staff, and its processes for day to day tasks are in desperate need of updating to make things like stocktake, returns, rewards and incentives and customer service a smoother and more competitive experience among other retailers and staff alike.
Pros
Great discount for part-time and full-time employees, great commitment to career progression for internal employees, fun workplace, fantastic workplace culture and environment.
Cons
long hours including weeknights and weekends, average pay and incentives, extended trade over holiday periods
Amazing Company
Had the most fun working for this brand !! Loved the management, clothes, beauty everything was great.

Lots of support and great people hired for the company.
Fantastic company to work for
I never had any issues at all. They care about their staff and treat them well. I enjoyed going to work and they provided training when needed. There was no pressure provided you were customer focused and were responsive to their requests.
Loved my time there
I really enjoyed my time working at SG. the focus is on team targets not just personal targets which takes a lot of the stress out of your day! I found it to be a very supportive and fun work environment, as a mother herself my “boss” was understanding of my children were not well. I have nothing but memories that bring a smile to my face was a hard decision to leave but my study had finished .
Average
While working there, I often felt left out and not good enough because I didn’t always have the latest clothes that they stocked. I felt as if all the girls that worked there just constantly gossiped about one another. They put me and a few other girls on very frequently based on how much they liked us as people. No other retail environment I have worked in has ever made me feel left out and not good enough like this company did.
Amazing workplace
Such a fun Place to work. Would not change it for anything. Gained so many new skills that i belive will help me progress futher into my career. Sportsgirl has made me into the confident person i am today.
Productive and work place culture
Having to make new friends from your team members and being able to interact with your team members makes a day of work exciting. It's also a NO BULLYING environment where in no situation should a scene of bullying should be present.
ok for xmas casual
worked over xmas- it was ok but not a lot to say as i wasnt there long. good benefits for discounts on clothes........................................
Beautiful company
Beautiful company, slogans, employees and just overall a great place. Proper training is done and given, great quality products, great discounts and also a great place for anyone to work.
Pros
staff discount, lovely products
Cons
Fun but not career worthy
I worked there for nearly three years, and it can be a very fun job. However it is a big company that drives for bigger and better sales on past budgets, whilst reducing staff (decreasing wage budgets). They expect way too much from you, and reward you with absolute minimum wage..
Pros
50% off discounts for full time workers
Cons
Minimum wage..
Co-workers and product were great, some Managers were awful
There were some great benefits to working here. You got a lot of breaks, most co-workers were really nice, it's a great introduction to working in retail but as a Christmas casual I had a few issues.

Towards the end of my contract in January (after the Christmas rush), I only worked 5-10 hours a week, and even then some of my shifts were shortened/ cut because the store wasn't busy enough, with only one day notice. Christmas casuals had to get their bags checked before leaving the store, while permanent staff didn't. Some managers also acted suspicious of the Christmas casuals and kept unnecessarily checking in on us when we were sorting stock. This was very disheartening.

They also strongly encourage you to wear sportsgirl clothes and give you a discount, but when the clothes go on sale they were much cheaper than if we bought them full price with our staff discount, which was annoying as Sportsgirl was basically making a profit off of us buying our uniforms.
Pros
50% off full price and 'flash sale' items (but not clearance), lots of breaks (no break for a 3-4 hour shift, two 10 min breaks for a 5 hour shift and a 10 minute and 1 hour break for a 6+ hour shift), co workers and most managers were nice
Cons
Christmas casuals were treated as lesser, buying uniform was expensive, hours got cut to the point where I only had 4 hours over the last 2 weeks of my contract
Productive and fun
Always busy, great for career progression.
Communication could be better.

Great incentives and bonuses.

Promotes body positivity and uses real people as campaign models
Fun and enjoyable workplace.
Fun environment to work in, made better when working with friendly coworkers to bounce off of. The company overall holds great values and look after their employees. However, days can be quiet and slow sometimes. Unfortunately, in smaller stores there isnt much room to progress in your role and a more limited amount of hours available.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Limited hours
Amazing company
I worked as a Christmas Casual and I loved the staff and assisting customers. I loved how my co-workers and store manager were always there when I was unsure of something. I really loved how I was trained to only sell a product if you and the customer believe it suited them, it meant that I was an honest sales assistant and not trying to sell something just to achieve a KPI.
Would highly recommend working there!
Pros
Amazing culture
Loved it
Absolutely loved working at sportgirl. I was there for 2 years. I progressed very quickly as this is a company who puts their employees first which is amazing. Sportsgirl really make sure you are getting the proper training you need and especially if you do want to progress one day. It can be a fun environment also depending which store you work at and what "work" means to you. Pay is great and on a weekly basis which is great !! And lots of newbies weekly which is exciting. Definantly one of the best companies i have worked for.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for progression
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Good environment but team changes often
I was not impressed with management but other than that it was okay. Typically we'd come in to work greet customers help them out with everything then have a 1 hour lunch break then back go back to work.