Sportsgirl
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sportsgirl Pay & Benefits reviews

Australia33 reviews
Sportsgirl is a fun and dynamic place to work for women of all ages, it works to maintain a great, inclusive, supportive, friendly and non-competitive workplace culture where the absence of individual KPI's and a customer-service grounded approach to retail eliminates the usual underlying sense of hostility and in-house competition that a lot of retailers suffer from when it comes to the morale of their employees. Your team is just that, a team - and this has been one of the things that I have valued most about working within the company.

The opportunity to progress through the company is absolutely encouraged, with a preference to hire internally where possible to offer this to employees where they seek to move between positions, advance into management roles or drop back into part-time or causal roles.

Sportsgirl is brand that has been around for a long time, and with the increased presence of a large range of multi-national retailers within Australia, there's something to be said for their need to play catch-up with the benefits and features offered by other retailers among both consumers and staff which make them a destination online, in-store and as an employee of the brand. The management perks are few, the pay is average for part-time, full-time and management staff, and its processes for day to day tasks are in desperate need of updating to make things like stocktake, returns, rewards and incentives and customer service a smoother and more competitive experience among other retailers and staff alike.
Pros
Great discount for part-time and full-time employees, great commitment to career progression for internal employees, fun workplace, fantastic workplace culture and environment.
Cons
long hours including weeknights and weekends, average pay and incentives, extended trade over holiday periods
worked over xmas- it was ok but not a lot to say as i wasnt there long. good benefits for discounts on clothes........................................
I worked there for nearly three years, and it can be a very fun job. However it is a big company that drives for bigger and better sales on past budgets, whilst reducing staff (decreasing wage budgets). They expect way too much from you, and reward you with absolute minimum wage..
Pros
50% off discounts for full time workers
Cons
Minimum wage..
There were some great benefits to working here. You got a lot of breaks, most co-workers were really nice, it's a great introduction to working in retail but as a Christmas casual I had a few issues.

Towards the end of my contract in January (after the Christmas rush), I only worked 5-10 hours a week, and even then some of my shifts were shortened/ cut because the store wasn't busy enough, with only one day notice. Christmas casuals had to get their bags checked before leaving the store, while permanent staff didn't. Some managers also acted suspicious of the Christmas casuals and kept unnecessarily checking in on us when we were sorting stock. This was very disheartening.

They also strongly encourage you to wear sportsgirl clothes and give you a discount, but when the clothes go on sale they were much cheaper than if we bought them full price with our staff discount, which was annoying as Sportsgirl was basically making a profit off of us buying our uniforms.
Pros
50% off full price and 'flash sale' items (but not clearance), lots of breaks (no break for a 3-4 hour shift, two 10 min breaks for a 5 hour shift and a 10 minute and 1 hour break for a 6+ hour shift), co workers and most managers were nice
Cons
Christmas casuals were treated as lesser, buying uniform was expensive, hours got cut to the point where I only had 4 hours over the last 2 weeks of my contract
Daily management of up to 8 full time, part time and casual employees daily. Including styling, visual merchandising, sales management, budgeting and recruitment
Pros
Fun team with good benefits
Cons
Long hours, unpaid