Spotlight
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spotlight Employee Reviews

Australia206 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Nice work environment

The management was good, and I felt like there was ways to rise in the company. They always hired from within, and if I hadn’t left when I did (for personal reasons I had to move away) I was about to be promoted. I wish I had been able to stay, as I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Spotlight

Awesome

Chaotic crazy fast paced fun - great team environment would recommend- good pay.Initial challenges but after time you become accustomed to the chaos

You need to be a fast learner.

You need to have your Weet Bix every morning, and be able to be patient etc with customers.Every day there is something new to learn about the products, and it's a good place to work.If you respect yourself and others, your time at Spotlight will be ok.

hardest part of the job was being left alone at the front without knowing much. Most enjoyable would’ve been going home

It was alright, depends on person-to-person, but definitely could have been better. Some of the older coworkers were rude, was always a problem with a customer, didn’t get trained much either & felt like I didn’t really belong there. Only got along well with the coworkers around my age which made working there bearable.

Competitive and busy

There’s always stuff to do which I personally like however you have to put yourself out there in order to get hours otherwise you’ll hardly get any which isn’t helpful if you live out of home

Okay starter job for teens, however, for literally anyone else, not good enough.

Management seriously poor, little to no training then straight into the job without much guidance, no care for workers beyond the legal obligations (aka the bare minimum). The bare minimum is probably okay for teens you just need a summer job, especially with protections from fairwork etc. Even if you're a hard worker, if your over 18, you don't get shifts unless it's near Christmas or you're a permanent worker.

Productive work environment

During christmas seasons the store can get a little busy, so it was a little stressful helping one customer to another, however it is a great work experience and very productive.

Toxic work environment

Used to be an average place to work and good for experience until a new manager came in and pushed people out, bullied staff and other managers until they either quit or started doing the same. It’s a toxic environment where hating your job and often going home crying is the normal and I would not recommend working there to the most desperate of people. I also doubt it will change anytime soon either as the company don’t care because you’re just a number to them.

Pros

Retail experience

Cons

Toxic environment due to bullying by management

Pays well, but poorly managed.

Spotlight has a good salary, especially for teenagers. However the management of both store managers and regional is not up to scratch. Very abusive towards employees in verbal ways. Very unorganised and too stressful.

Pros

good pay

Cons

poor management

Management is ridiculous

No Life out side of work, need a day off due to private reasons? Not going to happen. The staff run the store not the managers. No time off at all for personal life. You’ll work 5 days and get one day off before working another 4 days straight

Pros

30% off full priced items

The worst place to work

I did not receive any induction in the department I was assigned to. Leader team was a bully, she was rude and never taught me how to resolve issues, she just resolved them without showing me how to do it.

Pros

Nice uniform

Cons

Not enough hours, I was out of shifs for months.

No training provided, very stressful

I asked during the interview if there would be training provided and was told yes. Instead I was immediately shoved onto the front counter and expected to learn on the fly. This led to a lot of mistakes and angry customers. There was never enough staff, I was often drowning in customers, bogged down by complicated tasks like lay-bys and returns as the only person on the front counter while a line gathered. While they were flexible with scheduling shifts around uni, there was a period during which I wanted work and went two months without a scheduled shift. Management and staff were changing constantly due to the poor work environment. We attended team meetings outside of work hours that were over an hour long, but we were not paid for attendance. I won a prize for selling the most bags, but after asking several times over many months, I never received it. I was very glad to leave.

Cons

irregular work, short staffed, lack of training, stressful

Accepting and Honest

One of the best places to apply for, Great place to work for super easy to fit in and feel welcome, really open to new ideas and offer extra hours if need be.

Pros

Christmas Benefits

Cons

No appreciation of staff.

I worked at spotlight for 3 years and I received the bare minimum training. I was forced to learn everything on my own as well as expected to learn it quickly. The work environment and stressful and there is barely any support offered to the staff (especially since covid-19 began). I began as a Christmas casual and was never offered a part-time roll throughout my 3 years. Instead, they hired new inexperienced people. When I attempted to discuss this with management, I was rudely spoken to and my shifts were then cut. Not a good place to work, but my skills were developed over time due to my own hard work.

Relaxed but not preferred for some

spotlight is a very easy job and very relaxed. i would recommend it to a friend if they asked but at times it can be very slow paced and boring.The manager is alright but she can be rude at times for example if you call in a weeks advance and ask to cancel a shift she will let you but cut your upcoming shifts as well which is not called for and is very bias with different team members.

Fast-paced and overall fun environment

By working at Spotlight you get to meet so many different people regardless of what counter you are on. It is generally fast-paced and you get to learn how to do many different things

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

Always on your feet

Productive Work Place

I enjoyed all aspects of working for Spotlight. I learnt all areas of Spotlight. Most of the work carried out in Spotlight is almost the same as other retailers I have worked for.

Productive and creative

I loved that all employee's are encouraged to get creative with their work, being a creative business. Good to see a range of age groups employed too.

terrible management and shift calendar

Company doesn't care about employees. management is disorganised and unhelpful, and very unsupportive. was bullied by one section manager and never recieved any company benefits that i was promised.

The work and school life was stable and fun.

Working stock and helping customers is fun but it can get really stressful especially on busy days so having a way to keep yourself happy and sane is the best way to go.

a good place to work if you like a slow paced environment

Spotlight has good pay I was getting payed above average for my age range and the other team members are really nice. It gave me a lot of experience but I did find it a bit boring at times. This included when there were hardly any customers we would have to fold towels and do recovery on shelves which I did not enjoy. The towel section was also very dusty which irritated my nose a lot.

Pros

Team members and management are really nice, good pay and good experience in retail

Cons

Dusty, Boring, Slow Paced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spotlight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Spotlight