Spotlight
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Spotlight Employee Reviews

Australia194 reviews
spotlight is a very easy job and very relaxed. i would recommend it to a friend if they asked but at times it can be very slow paced and boring.The manager is alright but she can be rude at times for example if you call in a weeks advance and ask to cancel a shift she will let you but cut your upcoming shifts as well which is not called for and is very bias with different team members.
I worked at spotlight for 3 years and I received the bare minimum training. I was forced to learn everything on my own as well as expected to learn it quickly. The work environment and stressful and there is barely any support offered to the staff (especially since covid-19 began). I began as a Christmas casual and was never offered a part-time roll throughout my 3 years. Instead, they hired new inexperienced people. When I attempted to discuss this with management, I was rudely spoken to and my shifts were then cut. Not a good place to work, but my skills were developed over time due to my own hard work.
By working at Spotlight you get to meet so many different people regardless of what counter you are on. It is generally fast-paced and you get to learn how to do many different things
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Always on your feet
I enjoyed all aspects of working for Spotlight. I learnt all areas of Spotlight. Most of the work carried out in Spotlight is almost the same as other retailers I have worked for.
I loved that all employee's are encouraged to get creative with their work, being a creative business. Good to see a range of age groups employed too.
Company doesn't care about employees. management is disorganised and unhelpful, and very unsupportive. was bullied by one section manager and never recieved any company benefits that i was promised.
Working stock and helping customers is fun but it can get really stressful especially on busy days so having a way to keep yourself happy and sane is the best way to go.
Spotlight has good pay I was getting payed above average for my age range and the other team members are really nice. It gave me a lot of experience but I did find it a bit boring at times. This included when there were hardly any customers we would have to fold towels and do recovery on shelves which I did not enjoy. The towel section was also very dusty which irritated my nose a lot.
Pros
Team members and management are really nice, good pay and good experience in retail
Cons
Dusty, Boring, Slow Paced
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with the customers combined with the workplace culture ensures an enjoyable exchange with customers and fellow colleagues occurs.
Working at spotlight was my very first job, it was hard and maybe a bit stressful at times but worth it since you were never really bored and always learned something new about the departments you were in. There is always somone who needs an answer to their question so learning new things from other people at work helped me aid them and answer their questions
I have previously worked at Spotlight South Melbourne for a month. I was at the cash register mainly and taking phone calls. It was a good job and I have more experience with working with cashier. When working there, I had a bit of experience in cutting fabrics as well. It was a good work experience to have.
I worked here as a casual for nearly 5 years. Management was able to schedule shifts around my uni hours. However, many team members including myself would occasionally go a month without shifts. Management does not care about wellbeing of team members, and tries to cut as many shifts in order to save payroll budget.
learned to work in a fast paced environment, and enjoyed every minute of it. Also learned customer service as many would approach me and ask where items were located in store.
I loved my time at Spotlight. The ability to work shifts in every area of the store as well as sales, stocktake and nightfill provided constant challenges and kept things dynamic and interesting. Being able to also hold a supervisory position during nightfill shifts, where there were generally only two people on the floor after hours, was a fun and challenging role. In my time there I learned almost every product in the warehouse store; keeping up with their rotation was the most challenging but also an exciting part of the job.
I welcomed every challenge and would love the opportunity to work at Spotlight again.
Worked with them for a long time until I was fired along with a group of other people for stupid reasons, a few left because of the way they were treated and anyone who is female will get treated differently by most including management. Only care about money and not their staff or customers.
it was very bad to work, there was hardly any communication within me and the workers, I was constantly left aside. I didn't work there I only did work experience but from my sibling working there they stated pay was terrible, management was also horrible, job culture could have been better
Have worked in the spotlight for a few years as a casual under-18 worker. My store has changed managers and its an awesome workspace. Love doing customer displays of merchandising, working with fabrics and having a bit of eavesdrop on customers creative projects. The hardest part is most likely lifting vinyl fabrics and discussing to customers why returning bed linen is against the law due to health and safety issue. But for the most part, really enjoy this job, haven't ever been seriously bored as there is ALWAYS something to do. Highly recommended as a casual job.
Note: If you are working in the sew section, recommend to have a buddy helping you lift vinyl or be moderately strong.
The team was very friendly to each other and able to help each other in their work environment in loading and unloading the stock and placing them in the stock.
Co-workers are lovely, however management is poor. No proper communication between DTL'S, HR & team members, ridiculous expectations of team members & managers, never enough staff on during busy periods.
it is a great place to work if you are not in the management team. As soon as this is the case the position is less attractive. As long as you are not having any kind of personal trauma like going through divorce as was my case, the upper management do not want to acknowledge you and they have a way of making you feel in adequate and not capable.
very poor work ethics. Team Leaders do not know basic skills. Team Leaders all go on there breaks together. Team Leaders are bullys. Juniors are thrown in the deep end with no training or support.
Often Team Leaders are in the T room laughing at team members crying out for help. Its very unethical. Team leaders show no leadership.