Spotlight Employee Reviews

great environment, fun loving workplace, always busy.
sewing machine sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Kawana Waters QLD28 October 2018
always caring and helping hands, great environment with great staff, fun loving place to be in, they never let you down and always consider your needs and requirements within reason. very busy workdays, never nothing to do, managers were always bubbly and happy, accepted all culture and abilities. the hardest part of the job would be to keep up with the demand of customer service and the cleaning at the end of the day being a big super store. the best part of the job would be always able to talk to someone if felt needed. never being pushed away or to the side and always felt like family while working within the environment.
Busy and full of Characters
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW8 October 2018
Active place of work never a quite day, friendly staff and positive environment plenty of product to chose from with a range of products and merchandise a crafters dream
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Spacey shifts
Challenging workplace, highly engaging and upbeat
Customer Service Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Joondalup WA25 September 2018
Working at spotlight is very rewarding. I’ve developed many skills in customer service, time management and overall organisation. Unfortunately, the management is quite poor, I often get work when I have asked for time off and don’t recieve work even after notifying my availability.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Sometimes quite a stressful environment
highly enjoyable workplace community
Night Fill (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 September 2018
receive delivery/load split load onto cages ready to be taken to shop floor and replenish stock or set up new displays when new stock came in, while also attending to and assisting customers with inquiries and sales. Large quantities of product knowledge, furthered my customer service experience and even learnt store renovation skills. workplace culture was nice and relaxed although management lacked any real skills to qualify for the position and was quickly angered and not approachable. Dealing with my managers constant heckling and inappropriate "joking" and attitude. everyone else I worked with was extremely pleasant and friendly.
Cons
Terrible Management with nothing being down by HR
Co-workers + customers great, management not so much
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various, QLD18 September 2018
I've worked for spotlight before, and was treated with respect and understanding of my role as a single parent, had great sales training, a good manager, your colleagues become your allies because you all work so darn hard, and it's a delight to help customers.
However, after returning to the company a few years later, I've been met with some horrendous upper management. Not the lower-level management (Although some store managers can be a bit mean, I understand their doing their job.), or even the regional managers. I'm talking about the ones doing the sales training. I have never come across such a negative person in the workplace ever. There is so much about bullying in the workplace, but to have upper management regularly participate in that culture is disgusting. Like, narcissistic, school yard bullying, making people out to be liars, because she's trying to look good. Honey, you could never look good even when you talk about how "rich" you are.
I was eventually dropped, due to only being available during school hours, which, from a company that started out with a single parent, is so darn pathetic. I also wasn't paid the last few days I worked. So there's that.
Pros
Colleagues + Helping Customers
Cons
Narcisstic Upper-level Management
Good environment
Team Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW11 September 2018
Spotlight is a lovely place to work a happy environment with friendly staff only problem being they tend to over staff and not share shifts between all members
Pros
Good people
Cons
No shifts
Interesting work ethic
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mandurah WA9 September 2018
The staff at Spotlight are loving and kind. Yet, with the shortage of shifts and them advertising for new work I have to look elsewhere. Many of the other employees have multiple jobs, including myself, which speaks volumes about the number of shifts given. I haven't worked in weeks and at one point it was over 2 months without a single shift. However. it has been an amazing place and I've learnt numerous skills of customer service.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
bad shifts and abusive customers
Fast paced work environment with co-operative and determined team.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belrose4 September 2018
At Spotlight, a typical day would include re-organising stock, customer service, and other cleaning or tidying. Very fast paced and often demanding but helps you develop as part of a team.
Great workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Druitt NSW25 August 2018
Calm and relaxing workplace but challenging at times. Very nice people to work with and well organised. Team orientated and staff who care about the company.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Absolute horrible place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 August 2018
I worked at spotlight for a little over 7 years. I had 5 store manager And double that in department managers. With the exception of 2-3 all the rest treated employers horribly or had favourites if they were there long enough.

Sometimes they would openly and publicly be little and bully you. You can even see this behaviour in the senior corporate people who visits the store.

If the manager doing the roaster didn’t like you they would cut your hours or change you to a department you didn’t know with no training so when you made a mistake they would write you up enough times so they could fire you or hope you’d just give up and quite.

They introduced this new training program which is just tests on the computer it’s manatory but it’s a joke. The managers have a percentage to meet and sometimes they do the test for you or give you the answers! Your not assisted or encouraged to learn about other departments which makes it hard when they don’t put enough people on so you have to float between different areas

God forbid they make a mistake with you pay! You have to check every week. They frequency miss pay you cause they would have gone over budget for the fortnight. It took over 6 months to get a review of my pay slips and even then they declined to pay me over 5 hours of work.

Towards the end of my employment I was very sick. I got no help or empathy for my situation. all I got in return was a warming and the managers gossiping to other team memebers

They only good thing about spotlight is most of the everyday employees who work extremely hard for no rewards.
  more... I have work with some of the most generous, caring and supportive people.

I’m grateful for the employment but there is point where your mentally and physically health has to be more important then meeting the weekly sales!
Pros
Team members
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Mandurah WA29 July 2018
Although my manager has now left the company, I found that my overall experience with Spotlight was less than satisfactory. I found that he breached my privacy life and told customers information that could be dangerous for me. He was very sexist and disrespected the female employees and favouritised the very few males that worked in the store. Overall it was a negative experience and do not regret resigning from that job.
Pros
Most managers were nice
Cons
My head manager
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essendon Fields VIC23 July 2018
The job was great, however, over time their managment style changed to micro managment which made the role less autonmomous. Too much control and less encouragement for the sales team.
Pros
managing my own time
Cons
too much micro management
Amazing co workers, lack of company progression or recognition
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA30 June 2018
Enjoyable environment, no recognition for work done, popularity contest to be promoted rather than based on figures or facts. Decent bonus scheme but a very unorganized company to work for.
very busy workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockingham WA18 June 2018
the busier the better I think. helping customers with there fabric choices, making decisions and how much they needed to purchase.
and there was the add ons. cotton, needles etc.
the hardest thing was the use of your arms. some of those bolts of fabric were very heavy. We had to pick them up throw them over your shoulder and put them away. hahha. it was a great look.
in between customers is the stock control. Not just fabric but the sewing machines and the haberdashery items to be sorted and put away. Lots of little extras to be done. spotlight was good for me. I learnt a lot about the different types of fabric.
Cons
heavy lifting
sales assistant
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD6 June 2018
Greta job and great people to work for. management team are veryprofessional and accomodating. I really enjoyed this job and made many friends from this position in my time.
Do not work here
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Queanbeyan NSW2 June 2018
Little to no staff on floor, you have to learn to do the work of three people with little to no training. training is an info book and an online quiz. you can't advance anywhere and if you annoy the managers your shifts can get cut.
Pros
the team members are really friendly
Cons
the department heads can hold grudges watch out
spotlight fun in some ways
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockingham WA20 March 2018
I learned a lot when I was there I learned how to do bullions spotlight is all ways busy. night fill was great in till they changed the boss and I lost my job
Pros
great hours
Cons
i lost my job because they changed the boss
Low morale, quick turn over of managers in a short period of time, new managers made some productivity changes and had a good work life balance.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rutherford NSW5 March 2018
My review on the particular spotlight that I worked in had poor management and had to be changed three times over a one year period. The morale from a staff point of view had been quite low since the first manager left. However the new managers had some good points on how to reach targets and were very understandable with a work life balance. At the same time with the recent manager many staff have left because the amount of work they received was not enough according to their hrs as a part time/full time or casual worker.
Pros
Friendly staff to work with
Cons
New management every few months is frustrating
no fun at all
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW27 February 2018
I worked here for two weeks and then left as this job was not doing much for me at all and the things they had me to do was not fun as much as I thought it would be.
Pros
nothting
Cons
boring
There were lovely ladies to work with. It was fun at the time.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD5 February 2018
As I said lovely ladies to work with there were hopeful and when you ask a Question there answer it. I worked pastime there but weren't getting the opportunity at the time