Spotlight Employee Reviews

Management was really bad
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wetherill Park NSW13 May 2019
Worst company i have worked yet
the management was really bias and they will not train new staff instead they will forced them to work like labor like my first shift they gave me all the heavy lifting without any training at all
Pros
nothing
Cons
No Respect
Good experience
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Druitt NSW6 May 2019
It was tough for me at first but I got the hang of it sore feets for standing to long and walking but it was WORTH IT. I had a good experience and my abilities in working retail is amazing and good for you to always keep that energy and positive vibe out there
Cons
9am to 2pm
A typical day at Spotlight
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belrose/Queanbeyan1 May 2019
A typical day in my roles in Sales at Spotlight would be characteristically busy. I could be required to be deployed to another section of the store to assist a customer. Therefore I have to have a sound knowledge of all the stock; not just the stock in my department - Furnishings. My usual tasks comprise assisting customers in a timely manner as efficiently and quickly as possible. This requires me to often provide advice as the color and style selection and the ability to cut fabric accurately as well as calculate measurements for curtain making. Additionally, I have to provide advice re sizing for Ready made curtains as well and knowledge about fabric choices. I also assist with Tracks and Accessories necessary for window coverings e.g roller blinds, vertical blinds, eyelet curtains etc. I also take down particulars for customer orders and enter the information on the company website so it can be ordered over the internet. I then record the information manually to it can be tracked by other colleagues in my absence. I process all sales atthe Point of Sale terminal. The job is varied and always busy. There is constant tidying to be done and stock management such a removing all deleted products from the floor. I have to process Lay By payments and make sure it is all labelled correctly. I have to also organize Stock Transfers to other stores in the Spotlight company over the internet and keep a manual record. The most important task is to assist the general public so they can get what they require promptly and leave feeling satisfied with the service they have  more... received.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and able to be "yourself" as long as you do an excellent job.
Cons
can be very very busy when short staffed
fun workplace
Resett (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 April 2019
was a fun workplace. management needs some work within the place. long hours, lots to do but worth when your work was noticed. lovely staff. always willing to help.
Working for Spotlight -Casual Position
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  South Australia12 April 2019
Working for this company can we very rewarding with the type of customers it attracts.
Some working days can be quite stressful, due to diminishing amount of staff being scheduled to work.
Pros
Flexible with casual working positions
Cons
working under pressure by yourself, quite frequently
Fun and enjoyable workplace. Customers and Employees are always friendly
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 April 2019
A typical day would be finding products no one could find and asking for spotlight cards as they were paying for items.

I learned so much about a lot.
Fabrics, materials, tools etc. they have it all.

The staff are all very creative so that element brings a cool atmosphere.

Hardest part would be dealing with unduly customers. Everyone wants a discount or a refund and lots of people steal.

The most enjoyable parts are when you find the exact item someone is looking for when all hope appears to be lost.
good
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD4 April 2019
spotlight is a great workspace where the coworkers feel like family the environment is always fun and enjoyable. although the management system is flawed the pay is great
Dont really care about staff
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Rutherford NSW2 April 2019
i have worked there for over a year now and have found that although i awlays go above and beyond at work and always turn up, stay for extra hours without being paid, they dont wan to give me shifts
Cons
everything
Spotlight warehouse management
Senior SAP Supply Chain Consultant (Former Employee) –  Laverton VIC17 March 2019
This project involved the warehouse management elements of SAP retail. This was a challenging project as we used customer and merchandising driven goods distribution with X-docking in the design.
Terrible management and unsafe work environment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Gravatt QLD14 March 2019
I worked at Spotlight for 3 years, for the first 2 years I was treated with respect and kindness etc, however, once the store went under new management the environment changed. Each staff member was treated with disrespect, the manager was unprofessional in terms of the use of his language (using profanity, especially in front of the 14 year olds), his tone, his lack of basic kindness. Each day you went to work, you wouldn't know if he would be in a bad mood or a horrible mood, if it was a bad mood the rest of your bad would be spent being treated as less of a human.
He would put people in roles and not teach them how to do said role. Over the first few month to a year, more than 10 employees, not just casuals but also part timers and full timers left this spotlight store because of him.

The store went to down hill when he started and not just employees would tell you this, customers have been vocal about this as well. He only cared about the figures, not about the employees making the sales, he doesn't understand that to do your best with the figures you need to have a happy team, good team moral.

However, the coworkers on the shop floor are lovely and supportive people and show be commended for staying at that place. I was a hard working employee and my management before him always said so, they wanted me working everyday for as long as I could. Towards the end of my employment with spotlight, before I quit, I was treated with so much disrespect, however, I still did the most I could while I was there and always completed what needed to be done. The job made me
  more... miserable, going in was the worst part of my day, the only goodish days where when he wasn't there.

I started as a casual sales assistant and ended as a part times dock supervisor.
Pros
Good sales team
Cons
Worst management
Relaxed work environment
Data Entry / Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 March 2019
Managing phone calls and scheduling. Great work location in South Melbourne. Hardest part of the job was learning the systems to use, but this did not take overly long to get use to.
Working at Spotlight
Night Fill Team Member (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD24 January 2019
I've learnt a lot at spotlight I've learnt how to use the pallet jack and the wave and I love doing that and I've never done night fill before and I love that as well.

management is really good there.
The most enjoyable time I love about my job is using the wave and pallet jack and stock shelves.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace with nice staff members
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Lidcombe NSW16 January 2019
I had two weeks of work placement from 9-5 everyday excluding the weekends. I would sign in and get straight to work. i would be stacking, putting away or putting prices on items. I learned how to nicely display items, how to use a scanner and help allocate customers to what they desired. The management and workplace culture is pretty standard, but they are very nice, welcoming people which is why i enjoyed every minute of it. The hardest part of the job i had to work with was scanning and bar-coding items that looked very similar but different brands/names e.g. scented candles or bed sheets. But overall i enjoyed the two weeks because i learnt how to work in a work environment.
Pros
few lunch brakes
Extremely friends work environment
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW9 November 2018
Spotlight Miranda, is an extremely welcoming work environment. The team extend themselves to welcome new staff members and to teach them how the store works. Everyone is kind and willing to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Little unorganised at time
great environment, fun loving workplace, always busy.
sewing machine sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Kawana Waters QLD28 October 2018
always caring and helping hands, great environment with great staff, fun loving place to be in, they never let you down and always consider your needs and requirements within reason. very busy workdays, never nothing to do, managers were always bubbly and happy, accepted all culture and abilities. the hardest part of the job would be to keep up with the demand of customer service and the cleaning at the end of the day being a big super store. the best part of the job would be always able to talk to someone if felt needed. never being pushed away or to the side and always felt like family while working within the environment.
Busy and full of Characters
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW8 October 2018
Active place of work never a quite day, friendly staff and positive environment plenty of product to chose from with a range of products and merchandise a crafters dream
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Spacey shifts
Challenging workplace, highly engaging and upbeat
Customer Service Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Joondalup WA25 September 2018
Working at spotlight is very rewarding. I’ve developed many skills in customer service, time management and overall organisation. Unfortunately, the management is quite poor, I often get work when I have asked for time off and don’t recieve work even after notifying my availability.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Sometimes quite a stressful environment
highly enjoyable workplace community
Night Fill (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 September 2018
receive delivery/load split load onto cages ready to be taken to shop floor and replenish stock or set up new displays when new stock came in, while also attending to and assisting customers with inquiries and sales. Large quantities of product knowledge, furthered my customer service experience and even learnt store renovation skills. workplace culture was nice and relaxed although management lacked any real skills to qualify for the position and was quickly angered and not approachable. Dealing with my managers constant heckling and inappropriate "joking" and attitude. everyone else I worked with was extremely pleasant and friendly.
Cons
Terrible Management with nothing being down by HR
Co-workers + customers great, management not so much
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various, QLD18 September 2018
I've worked for spotlight before, and was treated with respect and understanding of my role as a single parent, had great sales training, a good manager, your colleagues become your allies because you all work so darn hard, and it's a delight to help customers.
However, after returning to the company a few years later, I've been met with some horrendous upper management. Not the lower-level management (Although some store managers can be a bit mean, I understand their doing their job.), or even the regional managers. I'm talking about the ones doing the sales training. I have never come across such a negative person in the workplace ever. There is so much about bullying in the workplace, but to have upper management regularly participate in that culture is disgusting. Like, narcissistic, school yard bullying, making people out to be liars, because she's trying to look good. Honey, you could never look good even when you talk about how "rich" you are.
I was eventually dropped, due to only being available during school hours, which, from a company that started out with a single parent, is so darn pathetic. I also wasn't paid the last few days I worked. So there's that.
Pros
Colleagues + Helping Customers
Cons
Narcisstic Upper-level Management
Good environment
Team Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW11 September 2018
Spotlight is a lovely place to work a happy environment with friendly staff only problem being they tend to over staff and not share shifts between all members
Pros
Good people
Cons
No shifts