St George Hospital Employee Reviews

Its a very good working environment
Hospital cleaner (Current Employee) –  New South Wales2 July 2019
I am really happy to be a part of St George hospital because it has good working environment and have flexible management!
All are so cooperative and feel free to ask and communicate with everyone!
Pros
Free dress
Productive work
Endorsed Enrolled Nurse (Current Employee) –  Surgical2 January 2019
A day of work at St George Hospital, as part of nursing staff, involved; working in a team environment to deliver safe and best practiced care to patients. Administering medications which involved drug calculations, helping patients with activities of daily living, such as showering/bathing, eating and drinking, taking medications prescribed by doctors, assist in mobility, and encourage movement to avoid deterioration.
Time manage the tasks at hand, working with other nurses and allied health every day.
The hardest part, isn't just one part, it is hard looking after people who are unwell. And a rotating roster is hard on lifestyle.
Pros
penalty rates
Cons
hard work, can be a thankless job
Room for improvement
Registered General Nurse (Former Employee) –  St George NSW11 December 2018
A few years ago I used to love coming to work and had big aspirations for my career however I feel differently now. I have definitely learned a lot here and not all is negative.
The biggest change I have seen is the rise in acuity on my ward. If a patient needs specialing, the first special is within numbers. That is one whole nurse down on a shift. If a registered nurse (RN) is unwell, they often get replaced by assistant nurses (sometimes none at all!). Assistants are very helpful but are limited in what they can do and are not equivalent to having being replaced by an RN. Assistants need direct supervision from an RN, cannot check medications, cannot perform certain procedures, cannot escort patients to CT, cannot pick up complex clinical cases, and cannot even pick up certain drugs from the pharmacy. However, if we raise concerns to upper management, they can be very dismissive and condescending so most of us are afraid to speak up.
Some places I feel sorry for, such as our aged care ward. The staff are practically told to be omnipresent, i.e. watch all these falls risk rooms and do everything else like help each other and do washes, clean up dirty patients, do obs, do procedures, and they get criticised if things are not done. The staff are very nice there and they just don't say anything.
A lot of staff on the floor also don't understand how certain people gain advancement in their positions. Some of these people are known bullies. The hospital knows about the complaint against them, they make the floor staff sign all these code of conduct papers, however the rules
  more... don't seem to apply to upper management and certain bullies have moved up in higher positions.
After hours, the hospital is run by interns and junior medical staff. The senior doctors are busy with the more complex cases. Sometimes I worry for their well-being as they work long hours, deal with complex patients, get told off by their seniors on-call and have to juggle multiple demands.
The allied health staff are very good at St George. We definitely need more social workers after-hours considering the type of patients and families that come in. We also need clerical staff after-hours. The ward can be horrendous but nurses are supposed to also pick up non-clinical work like answering phones, paperwork, transferring people, finding patients etc. Management say it doesn't take time... of course it does! 30 phone calls in an hour is how much time away from the patient?
The hospital also really needs to work on extending the pharmacy service to late in the evening, including on Saturday and opening on Sunday. It is a teaching/referral hospital, that is open 24/7, has become more acute, and is very busy... yet pharmacy works on business hours/days. They expect the after-hours nurse manager, (who can't even pronounce half these drugs) to pick up the pharmacy work.
Don't even get me started on parking.
Like I said, not all is bad, there is just lots of room for improvement to improve the patient and staff members experience and well-being and I'm sure other hospitals are worse off.
Pros
A good teaching hospital
Cons
Upper mgmt not keeping up with floor staff needs
St George Hospital
Cleaning Services/Hospital Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Kogarah NSW28 August 2018
Its a great hospital in the heart of St George area with latest medical equipment and facilities .
Staffs are great and Cleaning is impeccable. It is always mostly busy and emergency dept is always busy.
Pros
Free Tea coffee and cookies around staff kitchen
Cons
Parking is big adventure, if you found a parking within half an hour its like winning a power ball ticket
good learning environment
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 July 2018
An excellent opportunity to enhance your skills it was! A very good learning environment and an amazing team. A willing to help team that works for the betterment of the patient and ward.
Generally fast paced and never a dull moment
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 January 2018
No two days are the same. You are constantly challenged and learning something new everyday.
You get to work with a variety of people and have regular consults with a Multidisciplinary team.
The most enjoyable part is getting positive feedback from clients and knowing you are making a difference in a positive way.
Great workplace but poor casual staffing
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 November 2017
I love working at St George Hospital however the casual staff office is run very poor with high cancellations and only the need to provide 2 hours notice.
Interesting and knowledgable environment.
Student Enrolled Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kogarah NSW13 October 2017
Made me experience the high-quality care. Each and every day provided me the opportunity to learn new things and work as a team with a full dedication.
Pros
Good team work.
Cons
A very few staffs not willing to teach us as the rest of them did.
excellent staff, and
Registered Nurse (Permanent Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Kogarah NSW10 October 2017
a very busy hospital, but very supportive staff,
learned a lot during my first few months
the hospital has always strive to both cater to patients and look after its staff
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia27 February 2017
I was a RN in the A&E for 4 years with 2 years prior experience in Oncology and Intensive Care Unit. It was a wonderful hospital with excellent staff and up-to-date equipment and facilities.
Very interesting area to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kogragh NSW12 February 2017
Very interesting area, learnt a lot from multidisciplinary team. Gained lots of theory and working experience. Build up lots of confidence. Very du pportive team to work with.
very supportive and friendly workplace
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 January 2017
had amazing career opportunities and experiences with a friendly and team orientated environment. Thoroughly enjoyed working there. Hours were flexible and accommodating to individual needs. Great professional advancement opportunities, Management was fantastic with such a supportive attitude. Hardest part of the job was the shift work and heavy work loads, although the team was fantastic at working together to reduce fatigue and burn out. i thoroughly enjoyed helping patients to recover and return to their baseline health, It was a very rewarding an positive job.
Pros
ongoing opportunities and access to professional leaning
Cons
shift work and heavy work load
St George Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 July 2016
I have worked in many hospitals in Sydney as an enrolled nurse and Registered nurse. Working in HIV residential, medical, surgical and accident and emergency, which was my specialty.
The nurses I worked with provided good team work that made the work enjoyable.
The hardest part is loosing a life and the most enjoyable is watching a patient walk out the door post treatment.
very good and interesting
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 July 2016
pretty good training and service, the work experience was very interesting, new information is learnt and getting to meet new people.
A busy and demanding workplace. Challenging workloads and little e management support.
Registered Nurse and Midwife (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 April 2016
A busy and demanding job in a Public Hospital. Challenging work loads and ability needed to be flexible in many different situations. Negative and punitive workplace culture has crept in however so the joy of working with patients and their babies is somewhat overshadowed.
Pros
Friendships with colleagues
Cons
Negative workplace culture
fun workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 January 2016
I can work 24/7
I am good worker and ready to lean some new thing all time
I am good to work with team and I am very friendly people
Great team workers and top people to work with.
Orderly (Technical Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW2 February 2015
My day starts with lots of walking to and from Radiology to the wards, meeting many wonderful courageous people. I continue to be surprised in peoples strength and determination. It's a real treat to work with helpful and friendly co-workers. The hardest part of my job is sometimes getting sore feet, most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to be involved in helping people.
Pros
Great team work.
Cons
Sore feet.
fun to work all workmates are friendly
cleaners (Former Employee) –  Kogarah12 January 2015
. a nice work for me, learned a lot how to clean properly, know HACCAP means, but too much work for a one person they keep adding me more, which is not good. so exhausted. i lived early on this job coz ive been sick, coz of too much exhausted..maybe because its winter on that time and i need to catch early train, The supervisor like me because i did the job perfectly whenever she call or needs me im there as long i can do the job.over all i did great.
Pros
friendly workmate
Cons
too much job for a one person
Progressive work environment
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Kogarah10 May 2014
St. George Hospital pharmacy department is a team of progressive, enthusiastic and caring pharmacist always ready to help patients and their families. Huge work related stress and tremendous work load does not affect their attitude at work. They are helping to vast medical community as well as the general public.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Over work
Multidisciplinary team work implement patient's health outcomes
Nursing Student Clinical Placement (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW27 April 2014
I love to work in a disciplinary team to implement patient's health outcomes, not only their physical but also psychological and emotional health to help patient recover from sickness as soon as possible. Also to communicate and educate patient of how to take care of themselves and to live a normal life.